PDA

View Full Version : My Snowboard Lesson

highpeaksdrifter
03-24-2008, 07:27 AM
On Friday, the winds where howling in the High Peaks and every lift was on hold at Whiteface except for the Mixing Bowl chair.

I’m just waiting, hanging around, talking to some friends in the lodge looking out a window at some beginners going up the Mixing Bowl. Then I decide I’m going down to the rental shop and grabbing some snowboard gear. I figure at least it will be better then just hanging around or going home and watching TV. A Mike Korth who started boarding just last month says he’ll go get his gear and meet me outside.

So I get my gear, the guys if the shop where great to deal with as always. I get it on and just try to slide around a little with only one foot attached. It felt very alien to me. Mike comes out and we decided to go up in separate chairs so I don’t knock him over getting off. Needless to say I fell. I get over to the top of the hill strap in and try to get up with the heel edge in. Not happening, every time I try to stand up the board slides away and I’m back on my butt. My buddy is ahead of me so he goes down to come back up to help me. I finally make it to a lift tower, on my hands and butt mostly and use that to help me get up. Mike comes down and takes his board off and holds me up as I make my way down. It wasn’t pretty.

Unbeknownst to me S4L was watching from the bottom and asked a snowboard instructor to come over and help me. She gave me some pointers and told me a beginner lesson was about to start and I should get in, so I did. It was just me and another guy so I got a lot of one on one. My instructor was Jeremy and he knew his stuff and gave us a great lesson. Every time down, I got better and every time down I got more encouraged. I could do the “Floating Leaf” all the way down without falling, but my Jeremy told me I had to link turns cause that way down caused bad habits to form. Linking turns was harder and I got going too fast a couple of times and fell hard. Toward the end I could sort of do it toward the flatter part at the bottom.

In summary I had a blast. I fell a lot, and it was wind blown hard pack so it hurt, but I felt like I learned a lot. I really felt a sense of accomplishment with what I was able to do by the end of that lesson. What looked to be an el crapo day turned into a good day. It sounds weird, but I’m glad for the wind that day cause otherwise I never would have tried snowboarding.

Mike Korth, S4L, Jeremy, the guys in the shop and the young lady instructor (sorry I forget her name) all pitched in to help me out. One of the best things about Whiteface for me is you always get treated like part of the family. Thanks to all.

snowman
03-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Good for you. That sounds like a good use of time. I am a skier, and I have to admit that I get annoyed at snowboarders, but your post reminded me that everyone has to learn. I love watching good snowboarders, just as I love watching good skiers. But... bad snowboarders annoy me more then bad skiers. I think snowboarders can get further up the mountain with less skill. I get a little steamed when I see a snowboarder skid sideways down Mac, Cloudspin, Skyward... I keep saying to myself "turn, turn, turn." Skiers keep falling until they get better, snowboarders just seem to slide sideways.

Anyway, neat to hear about your day. I would like to try teles sometime - maybe next wind day!

Face4Me
03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
You're braver than me HPD ... I've thought about giving snowboarding a try a couple of times, but it just looks to darn painful!!! This dog's too old to start learning new tricks!

But, great way to make lemonade out of lemons!!!

I'll be looking out for you in two weeks at the Apple Butter Open ... I'm assuming you're not ready to give up the skis yet!!!

highpeaksdrifter
03-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I'll be looking out for you in two weeks at the Apple Butter Open ... I'm assuming you're not ready to give up the skis yet!!!

You should get in this year, it's always a good time. I never give up skiing 4sure.

Face4Me
03-24-2008, 09:47 AM

You should get in this year, it's always a good time. I never give up skiing 4sure.
Me ... In a bumps contest ... I don't think so!!! You've seen me ski bumps, it's not very pretty!!! Oh wait ... you haven't seen me skiing bumps ... you're always in front of me when I've skied with you!!! :lol:

DUST BLASTER
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Snow boarding? What are you nuts, old guy like you can get hurt and you won't beable to compete in the Apple Butter.

midwestblues
03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I would encourge you to pick up a cheap snowboard and spend a little time practicing. As the mountain warms up you will really enjoy a soft spring snow. I took up snow boarding at the age of 40 after having skiied for 35 years. My kids were learning to ski and I was so bored on the greens and blues I decided to try something new. Now, 5 years later, I board about 20 days a year and ski 5. I really enjoy baording more now. I think it has more to do with learning and seeing improvement then anything else. This was a great season for me, learning to board the mogels. Just get out and do it!! Enjoy

whitefaceman
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Anyway, neat to hear about your day. I would like to try teles sometime - maybe next wind day!

i had an awesome time trying teleing this year...sadly not at the mountain...unfortunately, the whiteface ski school's tele program is a holy mess, and i just opted for going out a full day with a guide/teacher from the High Peaks Cyclery in LP.
i had a great time and learned the basic turn in a day...

NPN
03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't've believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. But, as I told you, and Face4Me stated, you're a braver man than me. Especially for your first time on that rock hard plate.