PDA

View Full Version : Cold or Corn

highpeaksdrifter
03-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Do you want the cold temps to stay around longer so the snow lasts or are you ready for warmer temps and spring corn?

I want the season to go long, but I have to admit I'm ready right now for spring skiing. Plus we'll need the corn to get the Slides open.

tjf67
03-24-2008, 07:53 AM
I vote keep it cold the corn will come.

snowman
03-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Funny, I was asking myself the same question on the drive to work this morning. I was thinking that this was snow- making weather (16 in Utica). I would love to see fresh snow from the sky, but am also ready for soft stuff. Just no rain! I would like to see the season last forever, but know that general interest runs out in April.
I have a running debate with my wife - is it more fun to ski in a snow storm or in the sun.
I am ready for some warm corn days! I keep thinking about the slides last year, with the water running down the trails. What a blast!

Face4Me
03-24-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm ready for the warm stuff ... I'd love to get at least one day in the Slides this season ... I missed out last year.

I've only got one or two more trips left for this season. Things just get too busy in the Spring between little league games, yardwork and all those other nasty "grown-up" obligations that get in the way of skiing!

highpeaksdrifter
03-24-2008, 08:44 AM
I keep thinking about the slides last year, with the water running down the trails. What a blast!

Yep, April 19th and the 20th last year where out of this world. We can only hope for a repeat.

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/Slides-Tribute/DSCI0039.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/Slides-Tribute/DSCI0011.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/Slides-Tribute/DSCI0013.jpg

Denison
03-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I want to ski in late April, in fact I want to ski on April 29 :P , so let it be cold and snowy until then.

snowman
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Even with snow, I doubt Wface would be open. I remember about 5 years ago last day and almost all trails were open...

NPN
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
The latest rumor I heard last weekend is that, in keeping with the 50th year celebration, there is going to be an extention of weekend operation after the 13th to hit a record latest closing day date.

Certainly a nice feather in the marketing cap, but can you sell Albany on it?

Personally, I'm all for setting that record.

Face4Me
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
The latest rumor I heard last weekend is that, in keeping with the 50th year celebration, there is going to be an extention of weekend operation after the 13th to hit a record latest closing day date.
Now that you've put it out there, what is the record closing date for Whiteface? Anyone know?

Denison
03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
below is the result of quick my research on ORDA site:

Closing Dates:
----------------
2004: April 11
2005: April 17
2006: April 16
2007: April 22

NPN
03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
below is the result of quick my research on ORDA site:

Closing Dates:
----------------
2004: April 11
2005: April 17
2006: April 16
2007: April 22

Hmmm, somehow, somewhere through my Frostbite/46er/Whiteface Pale Ale memory daze, I remember getting off the gondola, and seeing a sign saying, "You are making history today. This is the latest Whiteface has ever been open".

It was definitely before '03/'04, but in the late last century I'm thinkin'.

If I'm wrong, or, better yet, if I'm right, please post the official stats.

TIA

highpeaksdrifter
03-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Now that you've put it out there, what is the record closing date for Whiteface? Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it was May 1, but I don't remember the year.

SKIdds
03-25-2008, 09:06 PM
After skiing Whiteface the last two days, for this season at least, I'm ready to say bring on the corn. Sure, a dump or two would be nice still, but the days of dreaming of powder should give way to sweet cooked corn.

Monday was fast anf firm. Great where groomed, but solid (with a capital S) underneith. You didn't want to be anywhere that wasn't groomed. Mackenzie was all but unskiable. It was a fun high speed cruising day, but all I kept thinking about was how great the spring skiing will be once things soften up.

Today was a nice day, as temps were in the mid to upper 30's and starting to soften.

So bring on warmer (but not too warm) temps and the corn. Spoke to a patroller on the gondi who said there was plenty of snow in the Slides, we just need warm temps to soften them up.

Denison
03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd like to change my vote, please. :? Bring on the Spring

Skier 4 Life
03-26-2008, 07:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it was May 1, but I don't remember the year.

It was May 1st... and I believe it was the season of '00-'01 when we received over 10 feet of natural snow in March alone... man, what a season we had! :D

Come to think of it, I think that was the first year I skied the slides... BRING IT ON AGAIN! 8)

snowman
03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
I am not sure if it was the same year, but I remember the Gondi station at the top being buried in snow. There was a snowblower up there, and you had to walk UP once you got off the deck at the top. That was nice.

What about extended hours? Last year they extended to day to 4:30 to match daylight savings. Any word on that?

-Dan

NPN
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
What about extended hours? Last year they extended to day to 4:30 to match daylight savings. Any word on that?-Dan

Great point!

I forgot all about that.

Hopefully, the powers that be are still checking out the board once in a while 'cause I'd luv to see that happen again.

Even if they had to adjust the morning start by the same amount of time to justify it, who cares. I'd gladly trade 30 minites of brick for 30 minutes of corn.

oldskibum
03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
S4L, you are right on!!! I remember it well, 10' of snow in March, and what a spring!! We skied on may first, it was about 80 degrees and the snow was great. Mt. Run and Wilderness were both open with great soft corn bumps, then a great bar-b-q on the deck at base lodge. Best day ever for me at the mountain. Snowman is also correct the same year the top of the gondi was buried, they had to take the lifties up by snow cat, too much snow to run them up on the gondi!! Great, great, spring!!!!

snowman
03-27-2008, 08:34 AM
All of this reminded me of a couple great days last year. Here is one of my favorite shots (if you look hard, you can read the temp on the bottom of the mirror.) OK, so it is not a great shot, but....
Maybe this weekend I will post more to the gallery, gotta work now...

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album43/IMGP2634.jpg

snowman
03-27-2008, 08:36 AM
crap, forgot say this pic was on 4/22/07, I think....