PDA

View Full Version : SLIDES ARE OPEN

skigolfhunt
03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
snow phone says so until 2 pm today slides 2,3,&.4.

Greg
03-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Yep. Per ORDA:

For the first time this season, the Slides at Whiteface are now open. Today is day one.

Slides 2-3-4 are available and will offer a loose granular surface at this time. With our extended forecast, it is expected that they will remain open through the weekend, but check the conditions page at whiteface.com for updates or call 518-946-2223.

snowman
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Curses! stuck at work today and tomorrow.
See you in there on Saturday!

Greg
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Okay....so give me the beta on the Slides. It's my understanding they are very steep overall - like in the mid 30 degree range. It seems slide 1 has some waterfalls to navigate and 2-4 are narrower with challenging choke points, mandatory airs and whatnot. In the event they are open, exactly what am I in for?

I know they are rated double diamond/expert only and like most terrain rated that way, you're not required to be a true expert to navigate down it, but perhaps this rating is the real deal for the Slides? I'd say I'm a decent skier, probably lower advanced; certainly no expert. I'm excited to try the Slides, but I don't want to get over my head. It's like any new terrain that you've never tried - the fear of the unknown.

So, break down what to expect in the Slides for a never-ever.

SKIdds
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Mind you, I've only been in once, but here is my take.

For a never-ever who doesn't want to get in over his or her head Slide 1 is a good option. It's pretty wide, with consistent pitch, and no hairy spots. Yes, you have to navigate through the waterfalls, but this can be done by going around the skiers right side, thus avoiding dropping any of the falls and the associated air time. It may be a couple of tight turns to get around, but very doable. The steepest section of Slide 1 is after the falls as it drops down toward the runout, but again it is wide and pretty safe.

Things get more interesting as you head across to Slides 2, 3, and beyond. I found them to get a little more difficult as you work your way across. As you mention, this is when you start to encounter those choke points and mandatory airs, etc. As you move past Slide 1 you have to deal with more trees and rocks and other obstacles.

Slide 2 doesn't have any mandatory air spots, but gets tight at the bottom and is quite a bit steeper than Slide 1

Slide 3 gets even tighter in the trees, with a narrow entrance, steeper terrain, and mandatory air over some rock bands (maybe 3-5 foot drops) near the bottom. I didn't get beyond Slide 3 on my trip.

In case you haven't seen many pics, here is my photo journey of the Slides documenting what I skied.
http://forums.skiadk.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album30&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Yes, it's difficult, and can be dangerous, but there aren't any true no fall zones, at least not in 1, 2, or 3.

You'll have a ball. Unfortunately for me I skied Monday and Tues and missed the opening by a couple of days, and I'm off to Taiwan on Saturday and will be out of pocket all next week. So I'll be hoping the snow holds up the week after you will be there. Good luck.

campgottagopee
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I’m not gifted with conveying anything thru this keyboard so I’ll just try and compare the slides to something else that you may have skied. Have you ever been to Tux or skied anything off Mansfield like Hour Glass??? Those are two places that I would compare the Slides to. Your first paragraph IMO really sums it up. The thing that always has impressed me was how sustained the steep is. Others will know the vertical, but it seems to go on for a long time. Not sure if any of that helps, but one thing I know for sure is that you’ll have a blast and want to go back.

highpeaksdrifter
03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm heading up now, sure hope they're open tomorrow.

Greg
03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I've never done any slack/backcountry, which might be why I was a bit concerned. 3-5 foot mandatory airs, no problem. 10+? Not so much. It sounds like there are opportunities to pick through the tricker spots. Now I just need to pray they are open that day.

snowman
03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
the hike in might be a little intimidating at first. It is not as bad as the hike into Paradise at MRG or Sugarbush, but I was surprised how far in it was at first. Then, after skiing Slide 1, it was no big deal the second time. It is a cool experience. I would say that if you feel comfortable on either of those trails, you will no trouble at all. (the trails are totally different, but need similar skill level.

My wife skied slide 1 a couple of times last year. She is a solid intermediate, but an aspiring expert (although slightly reluctant at times, like slide 1. What a sport she is, to ski with me!). I say " you can ski down anything, it just might not look as pretty as you want it to"

I hope you get a chance to get in. I think on of the neatest parts is the view of the rest of the mountain.

One last thing - I was surprised by the scale of the slides. Remember that the trees are stunted. It is funny to see people in the slides from the chair, they look much closer and smaller when you get the perspective of people in them.

As with all ski trails - HAVE FUN.

Greg
03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
the hike in might be a little intimidating at first. It is not as bad as the hike into Paradise at MRG or Sugarbush, but I was surprised how far in it was at first. Then, after skiing Slide 1, it was no big deal the second time. It is a cool experience. I would say that if you feel comfortable on either of those trails, you will no trouble at all. (the trails are totally different, but need similar skill level.

My wife skied slide 1 a couple of times last year. She is a solid intermediate, but an aspiring expert (although slightly reluctant at times, like slide 1. What a sport she is, to ski with me!). I say " you can ski down anything, it just might not look as pretty as you want it to"

I hope you get a chance to get in. I think on of the neatest parts is the view of the rest of the mountain.

One last thing - I was surprised by the scale of the slides. Remember that the trees are stunted. It is funny to see people in the slides from the chair, they look much closer and smaller when you get the perspective of people in them.

As with all ski trails - HAVE FUN.

I've skied both Paradises with no trouble. Most times, I've hit them has been with good surface conditions though. Not concerned with the slog over to the Slides at all. The pics in the gallery are rad. Hope I can experience it. NOAA is calling for rain and warmth next week, but right now they are saying Thursday will be warm and sunny. Can only hope for the same on Friday. I assume with the snowpack in there being skiable now, warmth is what's needed to keep the surface in the corn cycle, correct?

Thanks for the info.

SKIdds
03-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I've never done any slack/backcountry, which might be why I was a bit concerned. 3-5 foot mandatory airs, no problem. 10+? Not so much. It sounds like there are opportunities to pick through the tricker spots. Now I just need to pray they are open that day.
Some of those mandatory airs may get bigger when you move out past Slide 3. Sounds like you won't have any trouble in 1, 2, or 3....so no worries. Looks like there is plenty of snow pack in there, and the 15 day forecast isn't bad. I hope you get out there.

madskier6
03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Under the current conditions, what is the ideal ski to enjoy the Slides in - a fatty to surf over the soft corn snow or a midfat/super carver that will be able to make quick short turns down the fall line & get some edge grip on the steeper sections?

It looks like I may be joining Greg at Whiteface next Friday & I'm just wondering what's the best tool for the job. My 2 ski quiver consists of an Atomic Metron B5 (Midfat/supercarver) & a Volkl Gotama (Powder fatty). I love the Gotamas in Spring conditions so I am leaning towards using those in the Slides (if they're open). But if you need some serious edge grip in places, I'd use the Atomics. Some of the terrain looks pretty steep in places & therefore good edge grip could be very useful.

I realize it all depends on the particular conditions for the day in question but I'm interested in people's opinions generally. I will bring both pairs with me to Whiteface so it'll be a game time decision but nevertheless I'd appreciate your input.

Greg
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I was just gonna hit on my bump skis...

;)

takeahike46er
03-29-2008, 11:01 AM
They are opened today under silver conditions -- avi beacons, probes and shovels are required. Hopefully tomorrow they will open up as gold.