PDA

View Full Version : Best Ski Choice for the Slides

madskier6
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Under the current conditions, what is the ideal ski to enjoy the Slides in - a fatty to surf over the soft corn snow or a midfat/super carver that will be able to make quick short turns down the fall line & get some edge grip on the steeper sections?

It looks like I will be joining Greg at Whiteface this Friday & I'm just wondering what's the best tool for the job. My 2 ski quiver consists of an Atomic Metron B5 (Midfat/supercarver) & a Volkl Gotama (Powder fatty). I love the Gotamas in Spring conditions so I am leaning towards using those in the Slides (if they're open). But if you need some serious edge grip in places, I'd use the Atomics. Some of the terrain looks pretty steep in places & therefore good edge grip could be very useful.

I realize it all depends on the particular conditions for the day in question but I'm interested in people's opinions generally. I will bring both pairs with me to Whiteface so it'll be a game time decision but nevertheless I'd appreciate anyone's input.

highpeaksdrifter
04-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd go with the Volkls.

Greg
04-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Looks like tomorrow is going to be the stellar day this week up there. Bummer. Oh well, still hitting Whiteface Friday, rain or not.

tjf67
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
which ever ski you are more comfortable with

Greg
04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
which ever ski you are more comfortable with

Jeff's just being silly. He can rail just about any board he's on.

Bring both. I'm bringing up my Legends and my Volkls. Very similar ski, but the Volkl will be better if the ungroomed stuff is rough. Actually wouldn't mind some light rain to soften everything up.