PDA

View Full Version : Dang there’s a lot to do

highpeaksdrifter
07-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I think we’ve all come up with great ideas for trails at WF over beers in the CSL after skiing. “Why don’t they put a trail right there, that would be awesome.”

As many of you know our own S4L is working with the crew on Lookout. He has filled me in on some of the things that they need to get done to get it open. There is a lot more to it then meets the eye,......a lot more. Those guys are working really hard.

If you are at the mountain this summer and get a chance to talk to anyone working there let them know you appreciate their efforts. They deserve it; they are getting a lot done in a short period of time.

NPN
07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I certainly appreciate it!

Keep it crankin' BB, there's some White Hawk in your future.

kornfein
07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
When i look at news on the Whiteface web site I see:

Whiteface will open Lookout Mountain in December 2008, located between the Slides and Kids Kampus. An expert and intermediate trail were cut during the summer of 2007. One trail, a triple chair and snowmaking will service this new terrain. Lookout Mountain will have a vertical drop of 2,200 feet when completed.

Note how is says "one trail" and "2200 feet when completed". Did they back off on the int trail for next year?

Skier 4 Life
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
As many of you know our own S4L is working with the crew on Lookout. He has filled me in on some of the things that they need to get done to get it open. There is a lot more to it then meets the eye,......a lot more. Those guys are working really hard.

If you are at the mountain this summer and get a chance to talk to anyone working there let them know you appreciate their efforts. They deserve it; they are getting a lot done in a short period of time.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, HPD. I and the rest of the crew here at Whiteface appreciate it. :D

Skier 4 Life
07-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Did they back off on the int trail for next year?

As one of the crew working on the Lookout project this summer, the current plan is to open the intermediate trail with snowmaking as well as the expert trail (cut last summer) without snowmaking... when conditions permit. As you may have seen from the pics HPD took last week, there is also a new expert trail that was cut this summer (starting half way down the intermediate trail and ending up at the bottom of the new lift). This trail was originally cut to allow for the snowmaking pipes to access the new intermediate trail. It will eventually be open with snowmaking, but there will need to be more work done to the trail first to make it happen. There are about 3 more months left to pull it together for this coming season... let's hope for the best!

NPN
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Did they back off on the int trail for next year?

As one of the crew working on the Lookout project this summer, the current plan is to open the intermediate trail with snowmaking as well as the expert trail (cut last summer) without snowmaking... when conditions permit. As you may have seen from the pics HPD took last week, there is also a new expert trail that was cut this summer (starting half way down the intermediate trail and ending up at the bottom of the new lift). This trail was originally cut to allow for the snowmaking pipes to access the new intermediate trail. It will eventually be open with snowmaking, but there will need to be more work done to the trail first to make it happen. There are about 3 more months left to pull it together for this coming season... let's hope for the best!

As always, thanks for the insider info.

It really is amazing how much work is required to make this sport happen. I certainly will never take any ski area I visit again for granted.