PDA

View Full Version : cost of the drive to the mountain and consequences

Denison
07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
From past winter experience 08/09 season my NJ to Whiteface trip fuel will cost $150 minimum. That's on lightly loaded Honda Odyssey doing 73 mph.
So when I go with my son, fuel price could beat what we spend on a weekend lift tickets.

If one got SUV packed inside and outside, that could easily top $200 for a trip from NYC area and back... :shock:
I would like to hear opinion from folks who drive great (and not so) distance to Gore/Whiteface.

Will high gasoline prices change your skiing habits this winter?
Will you drive slower, remove box from top, take other measures to get more miles per gallon?
Will you take longer (3-4 day) trips or consider skiing less in Adirondacks?

And in general, how will high gasoline price affect Whiteface/Gore visitor count this season? (more buses ? :x )

Harvey44
07-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Will high gasoline prices change your skiing habits this winter?
Will you drive slower, remove box from top, take other measures to get more miles per gallon?
Will you take longer (3-4 day) trips or consider skiing less in Adirondacks?

Yes - longer, fewer trips if mother nature cooperates (not likely).

Yes - I'll still go 68 mph, but I will leave my skis in the mountains to avoid roofbox. (+5mpg).

I'll try to get my 30 days as usual. 50 was the goal for my 50th year, but that might not be realistic.

Denison
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm thinking about 3 day ski weekends and slowing down on an interstate a bit.

Also, will not go solo to Adirondacks anymore, will drive to Catskills instead.

I often looked into taking a Trailways bus or Amtrak+shuttle to Lake Placid, but their schedule equally crappy - whole day is lost on the way to the mountain

jimmer
07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
sure its going to be tough,but im just going to have to suck it up,im only 45 miles from gore,and it cost at least $20.00 a trip last year,had over 65 days,my lowest in some time,this year more like 30 bucks a wack,gonna hook up with friends more,and maybe not go on those iffy days,i drive a ford f150 that gets crappy mpg,but find if i just slow down to around 60-65 i can get about 18 mpg. for you that live farther i wish you good luck,but remember you will just have to go, its in your blood.

Harvey44
07-18-2008, 07:01 PM
OK Jimmer started with the mpg so...

I can't believe it. I drove up tonight - 275 miles. In my wife's civic. When I filled up in Warrensburg - cost me 20 bucks to go from Central NJ to the big W. - I had gone 240.6 miles and the car took 4.98 gallons. The math on that is over 48 mpg.

I couldn't believe it. Best I had ever done in her car was 42. I kept it a 65, or the speed limit when I could. I usually set the cruise on 68 and stomp on it when necessary. This time I was a light as I could be. It took me about 20 mins longer than usual.

It''s a pain in the ass to concentrate the whole drive, and really probably saved me 5 bucks tops. And...with regard to this thread... I can't use the civic on our adk driveway in the winter.

Be hey pretty cool. That's borderline hybrid mileage.

And Jimmer's right...I'll be there...it's in my blood.

St. Jerry
07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Plan to make more trips as the highways and slopes hopefully will be less crowded this year.

Denison
07-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I can't believe it. I drove up tonight - 275 miles. In my wife's civic. When I filled up in Warrensburg - cost me 20 bucks to go from Central NJ to the big W. - I had gone 240.6 miles and the car took 4.98 gallons. The math on that is over 48 mpg.

Be hey pretty cool. That's borderline hybrid mileage.

You gotta love Civic CNG - tt happens to be least expensive to drive at current fuel prices.

Odyssey A5:3.5/6 16/23 $3,419
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Civic A5:1.8/4 25/36 $2,122
Civic Hybrid CVT:1.3/4 40/45 $1,464
Civic CNG A5:1.8/4 24/36 $ 884
-----------------------------------------------------------------

notes:
- 15,000 per year (55% under city driving conditions and 45% under highway conditions)
- $1.65 per gasoline equivalent gallon of CNG, $4.10 per gallon for regular unleaded gasoline