PDA

View Full Version : Lookout Pics from 9/13/08

highpeaksdrifter
09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
We hiked up the Stag Brook trail and then continued up to the base of the Lookout Mt. triple on Saturday. As you can see by the pics things are really looking great. The building is the new pump house #5 and I was told it was going to be sided by Lincoln Logs to give it the ADK look. Nice touch.

Decided to hike up Lookout Below, but first called to make sure there was no blasting and it would be OK. I'm really jazzed about this trail, it's 800 feet of vert., 60 feet wide, 30 degree pitch at the top, a section in the middle that's 18 degrees, back to 30 and the final drop is 35. I've heard management plans to let this bump up and leave it that way as much as possible. I think this trail is going to be a real favorite for the expert skier.

Coming up to the Wilmington Trail everything is looking nice. The views from this trail are fantastic. You can see Marble Mt., Easter and others that you can't see from anywhere else in the ski area. The Wil is completed down to the entrance of Lookout Below and mostly done the rest of the way. There are still some boulders and ledges marked to be dynamited and a little clearing to do, but I'd say everything’s about 80% done and they'll be done soon. It was a monumental effort to build this trail because of all the blasting and clearing involved.

I think the Wil will be the favorite blue at WF. Lots of turns, some steeper pitches and 2 miles long.

We also saw some spots that might be entrance points for the Sugar Glades, (named for the Sugar Maples that are abundant there), but we were not sure. One thing I am sure about is you guys are going to love Lookout Mt.

I decided to post the link to all the pics I took instead of posting a few. It was mostly cloudy that part of Sat., but skies started clearing a little walking down the Wil. So the pics are kinda dark, but you'll get the idea.

http://forums.skiadk.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Face4Me
09-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Great shots!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Definitely looks like things are starting to take shape ... Can't wait to get out there!

manhattenskier
09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the pics. They are great.

They have made a heck of a lot of progress in just one week. They have a lot of the bottom drive mechanism in place it looks like and when I was there they just had one little tower. Way to go.

I was wondering what the vert was on Look Out Below and thought it was comparable to the Little Whiteface slopes in front of the Boules Bistro and I guess it is. But that looks like true expert terrain too me, not just advanced. How does it compare to other slopes at WF? Is it among the steepest? Anyways I know my limits and will definitely NOT be skiing it.

What I am looking foward to is the Wilmington trail. The section in picture number 20 looks like a lot of fun.

BTW, does anyone know why they chose a triple and not a quad for Lookout? Is it a big difference in expense to buy/operate? Just guessing but I would think Lookout is going to draw a decent amount of traffic.

Again, thanks for the update. It is great to see things coming along so well.

tjf67
09-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I was up there yesterday. From looking at the lookout I would say it is going to be one of my favorite trail. Esp if they leave it alone to form its own terrain. It is steep and straight down the fall line.

I have no information but I am guessing they put a triple in to slow down the amount of skiers that get brought up more so than money. Realistically with the amount of skiers we get we dont need a quad. On most days there are never lines and the new terrain that is openeing is going to thin it out more. The mountain is now a sprawling moster. Just looking at it people are going to be spread out over miles.

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Friggin' AWESOME, HPD. Thanks!!!

Damn, Lookout Below looks legit. They're going to have to blow some serious snow, it looks like, to keep it skiable, no?

highpeaksdrifter
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Friggin' AWESOME, HPD. Thanks!!!

Damn, Lookout Below looks legit. They're going to have to blow some serious snow, it looks like, to keep it skiable, no?

CBMP, ever see Blazer's Bluff with no snow on it? It's amazing to me that it can fill in so good. I'm sure we will need a good base, but I think we will be just fine. Can't wait. :D