PDA

View Full Version : Trail on old topo map

Wa
02-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Check out this topo map of Gore. Like a lot of the topos and aerials I have found online, its an old one. There's no Rumor, Lies, long Open Pit, etc.. Still has the old Gondie on it. Interestingly, there is a trail or section that is not part of the area now.

Look off the summit to the back of the mountain. There is a trail that leads to the service road from the mines to the high peaks chair. Its really skinny in the the aerial photos I have found, but there's something there. The odd part isn't just the dotted line on the map- in between this trail and upper/lower steilhang, it's labled Ski Trails, as if that section was part of the mountain.

Anyone know if that was either an old or proposed trail, or if that section was a proposed area for development at some point?
Also, aside from the woods skiing parralell to the steilhangs, anyone ever ski in there? (Ski patrol or guided tours of course) It looks doable, but with a crappy walk back to the bottom of steilhang.

Topo map (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/usgsentry.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=721&Y=6045&W=3)
At the top right there is a tab to click for aerial pics.

kornfein
02-17-2006, 10:07 AM
As it turns out I skied Gore yesterday, really nice day. i spent much of the time on the High peaks chair and on Lower Stielhang as the snow was excellent. I noted something there I had not noticed before. At the bottom of Lower Steilhang before the traverse out there is a little hut. I'd seen that before and thought it was a perhaps a finish booth for a race. Yesterday I noted that there is a road / trail on the skiers left the hut and decided the hut is perhaps the top of some old surface list? I guess it would be from the Mine? you don't typically notice it since you are trying to go fast for the traverse under the lift.

By the way also skied "Darby woods" which was open and acutally had decent cover. We have skied this a lot in the past before it was an official glade. As far as I can tell the only change is the sign at the entrance-)

mattchuck2
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
That is kind of interesting.

The climb out looks like it would be a little bit of a bitch. 250 vertical feet up to the bottom of lower steilhang is no picnic.
I'll check it out this weekend to see if I can find it. Also, I might check it out in the summertime, too.

Wa
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Cool, I'll have to check that out this weekend too. Seems there are lots of "used to be" places at gore that were cut or used for something at one point. We should make a trail map with all of this stuff on it for those of us that either like to explore or are curious about history and such.

That trail might be the service road from the mines. I found out that Garnet Hill Lodge does some cross country tours off of Gore. I wonder if Gore ever does, or would do, any backwoods guided tours (besides the ski/walk to the bowl) of these trails. Maybe if enough of us get together, they would do a tour when there is more cover.

Any more hidden places or more answers to these places we can find? :)

edit:
I was just looking at the topo and the aerial. Does the longitude line look a little thicker from the bottom of steilhang up to the cloud traverse? I'm trying to figure out if its just a bad scan or map, or if its a solid line indicating a lift exactly where kornfein was asking about? On the aerial, I tried to compare it with other areas with thinner trees where there are service trails or biking trails. It seems to look as if there is a slightly thinner (but grown in) line from the same spot on the topo where the line may or may not be. But then again, my perception could be skewed because I want to find something. :)

10-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I've been looking for one of these...it'll get studied and hopefully uncover some nice spots after a storm.

Tobesssss
10-19-2006, 07:49 AM
PETE GAY MOUNTAIN HERE I COME

10-19-2006, 07:51 AM
PETE GAY MOUNTAIN HERE I COME

Shhhhh don't let them know, about your sexual orientation or future plans.

Tobesssss
10-19-2006, 07:52 AM
I can't keep this gem a secret anymore Mr. MORRY

alexcaraco
10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
hmmmm, little hut...ideas ideas...