PDA

View Full Version : access to burnt ridge

Snowballs
10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
hi all,

has anyone any thoughts on how we're going to get to burnt ridge ? is this another " pole Gore Mt trail " ? while i don't wanna ruffle any feathers, it's awful flat out past the triple express and from the SEIS topo map, gore-e gully seems like it's only ~ 1/2 the way across the flat part. some of the lifties have hinted to me that this maybe the case. it sure will be disappointing if this is so. esp. for boarders or those of us w/kids. any observations ?

Lbtchnlgs
10-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I ain't tellin you nothing till you prove yourself

Snowballs
10-29-2008, 09:04 PM
good for you.

you won't be needed anyway.

Lbtchnlgs
10-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Well I have nothing to offer.

I was just messing around, until they find a 'tone' button internet chatter it will be hard to understand some things.

It's always good to see a new member that actually posts. As you can/will see I don't really ever have anything good to say, just noise

MidnightCarving
11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
the man has a good point, i don't know why this hasn't been discussed farther. I'm wondering the same thing, they could set us up in a situation where its so much work to get over to burnt ridge that none of us want to even go there. I'm hoping that they permitted some room so you could at least get a tuck going off the bottom of showcase and coast out to the base of burnt ridge....

Lbtchnlgs
11-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Nobody should go over there. I'll watch it for everyone.

I'm sorta over the fact that it might not be as accessible as it could/should be. It's giving us a ton of easily accessible woods. Take half the day and ski down low till it warms up, then head up and play in Chati

Snowballs
11-01-2008, 03:53 PM
[quote=i don't know why this hasn't been discussed farther. I'm wondering the same thing, they could set us up in a situation where its so much work to get over to burnt ridge that none of us want to even go there. [/quote]

yep. everytime i see boarders on their way to Gore-e Gully, THEY'RE WALKING! and you can't even see all the way to Gore-e Gully from the base lodge. from the topo map, it appears the flat area extends past Gore-e Gully!

I, too, am wondering why there's not more posts on this thread and the one I put up on the interconnect lift. in both, i raised legitimate, substanciated issues that are going to effect every Gore patron.

i read other threads here where people complain about lack of timely snowmaking or chairs not running. these are all money issues that will be affected by the interconnect.

think there's not enough money for snow making now? wait till it's also being spent just to keep the interconnect open for the village people.

think not enough lifts are open now? wait until that money is spent keeping the interconnect lift supplied with electricity and lifties and then to top it all off......the interconnect lift runs empty 95% of the time.

are people here afraid to speak up if they feel the powers that be won't like it? i hope not. but if so and this project doesn't work out then they should not complain.

mattchuck2
11-01-2008, 06:04 PM
When was the last time that someone was "afraid" to speak their mind on the internet?

I think the real issue is that people are taking a "let's wait and see" attitude towards the whole thing. Everybody knows that none of these plans are ever written in stone, and tons of things can change before a single shovelfull of dirt is dug.

If you don't like a little bit of a walk on the way down to the BR Quad (even though I disagree with the very premise - the "walk" might be 20 yards).

As far as the rest of your post, you throw out a bunch of hypotheticals and expect people to get all riled up about nothing. We're not really talking about the end of the world here. We're talking about some money, some electricity, and some poling.

Snowballs
11-01-2008, 06:49 PM
i thought so.

and

20 yards?....... 60 feet? very amusing!

and

THANKS! I think I will!

takeahike46er
11-01-2008, 07:47 PM
While the initial stretch to get over to the gully is going to require a bit of polling or walking, beyond that should be fine.

Harvey walked over to the Burnt Ridge base this summer upon which he said,

I got pretty excited about it. Cedars has more pitch than I imagined... it's a sort of a cross between Sunway and Twister. At least it won't be a chore..

Something to consider when viewing the topos: Most of the contours on the map are in meters, but a portion affecting cedars (and part of the ski bowl) is in feet. The parts of the map in feet have contours that are further apart then those in meters.

Lbtchnlgs
11-02-2008, 04:20 AM
HAH look at the time

Lbtchnlgs
11-02-2008, 04:22 AM
fdsa

Harvey44
11-02-2008, 07:08 AM
When was the last time that someone was "afraid" to speak their mind on the internet?

Not sure about you guys, but to me, this kind of stuff is the reason I show up here. Love to hear input from guys like Matt, TAH46er, and others know the mountain, understand the implications of things, and have really thought about this stuff. It's get me thinking about skiing in a concrete way. Love that stuff.

Also...SOMEHOW the "Lift to Nowhere" got canned. I've got no proof...but I think some input given by Tinswoodsman and others may have help kill that ill planned Gondi:

http://skiing.alpinezone.com/articles/challenge/2006/response.htm?resort=gore

My two cents is that....since my first visit to Gore years ago...a TON have changes have been made. Pipe to the Hudson, New Gondi, Rumor, Lies, glades, glades, and more glades, Topridge. New snowgun towers. What else? To me that stuff is all good. Until it happens I'm going to give the mountain the benefit of the doubt.

Another thought...I'm not sure if this is possible....and would love to hear from Matt or Chris or anyone who knows....can you get out of the Twister Glades on the back (north) side onto Echo? That would solve the problem. You could connect to the Gully and rip it from there.

11-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Also...SOMEHOW the "Lift to Nowhere" got canned. I've got no proof...but I think some input given by Tinswoodsman and others may have help kill that ill planned Gondi:

Another thought...I'm not sure if this is possible....and would love to hear from Matt or Chris or anyone who knows....can you get out the the Twister Glades on the back (north) side onto Echo? That would solve the problem. You could connect to the Gully and rip it from there.

I SAID THANKS BUT NO THANKS TO THAT LIFT TO NOWHERE (INSERT CANADIAN ALASKAN FOLKSY ACCENT HERE)

But yes, I'd love the answer to that question. I've been thinking you can get out of Twister and onto Echo, so I haven't been too worried about the possible traverse or skate across an access trail, but I'm not positive it can be done.

Lbtchnlgs
11-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I have only ventured over there once, never dropped into the North though, only sorta looked and it was a while ago and just took the ridge down to the 'park'ish

mattchuck2
11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah, you can go from Twister Glades to Echo . . .

Harvey44
11-02-2008, 09:04 PM

I did it last year when Echo wasn't yet a trail . . .

There was some fresh over there...but I can't remember..was that "above" Gully?

mattchuck2
11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah . . . Well above.

takeahike46er
11-03-2008, 12:27 AM
You all have raised an important point. Other than Twister Glades, there appears to be no access from the existing trail network to the Burnt Ridge pod, aside from the trail at the base. A crossover trail from the lower portion of Twister to the Gully would be beneficial in avoiding any unnecessary travel through the flats at the base area. While the map does not illustrate such a trail, has anything like what I have described been cut? I haven't been up there since last season.

megatron
11-03-2008, 06:52 AM
You all have raised an important point. Other than Twister Glades, there appears to be no access from the existing trail network to the Burnt Ridge pod, aside from the trail at the base. A crossover trail from the lower portion of Twister to the Gully would be beneficial in avoiding any unnecessary travel through the flats at the base area. While the map does not illustrate such a trail, has anything like what I have described been cut? I haven't been up there since last season.

From the base of the North Chair, and connecting with the interconnect trail down to the base of BR.

C

http://www.postimage.org/gx241Fr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx241Fr)

Snowballs
11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
see. that's much better. people discussing this issue in a mature adult fashion.

cutting an access trail from twister to br maybe possible, maybe not topo wise. seems like there would be some up and over involved or some considerable out and around. any trail off of twister would butt heads with the racing schedule, but still "maybe " a partail answer. those whose say take the woods over to br are overlooking the frequently scant snow cover and the needs of others.

for what is worth, i'm not whining about the race schedule. while i prefered old twister, i've always supported new twister as the expanded racing is good for the mtn.

pipeline trail from north quad down is narrow, 10' , and would require expanding and snowmaking to keep it covered. any traffic will ski that off quick.

i sure hope this works out. br looks like it has ALOT of potental. both in terms of the trails they're opening this year plus there's room/great terrain for future trails, B ESTS AND BEERS! the icing on the cake is that mngt. installed a high speed quad from the get go. GOOD JOB, Him Say.

11-03-2008, 01:40 PM

I did it last year when Echo wasn't yet a trail . . .

I'm an idiot. I did that too. It took a little uphill skating to get there though from the point I left Twister.

Harvey44
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
those whose say take the woods over to br are overlooking the frequently scant snow cover and the needs of others....

i sure hope this works out. br looks like it has ALOT of potental. both in terms of the trails they're opening this year plus there's room/great terrain for future trails.... the icing on the cake is that mngt. installed a high speed quad from the get go.

I floated the idea of getting to the Gully from the Twister Glades. I was thinking outloud and trying to add something positive. Actually the needs of beginners are important to me, and not just because I ski (and ride lifts) with one on a regular basis. One thing I love about Gore...all the best terrain seems to have a way for a less skilled ski partner to get around and meet you at the lift. Headwaters, Santanoni etc.

I think it will work out. After a few years go by the mtn staff will have it totally figured out I'm sure. I'm not in favor of high speed lifts in every pod (leave the Dark Side alone please)...but I actually think BR a good place for one.

IMO if the amount of resources (time, money, manpower) for snowmaking isn't increased...then the "order" Sunway, Ruby Run, QuickSilver, Topridge etc...probably shouldn't change. Time will tell how they handle it.

MidnightCarving
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
i also did the twister glades to echo, a little skating uphill but nothing serious, and i feel that once the trail is complete people will be quick to make little chutes that make this much easier. and from what our map indicates you will be able to go from echo through the gully and to the base of BR, probably not a bad route to take. The only problem is when things get gnarly in the twister glades and make for a bottom/edge ruining trip to BR... Don't get me wrong i like to have the lift to myself, why the dark side is one of my favorite parts of the mountain, but the routes to get there are manageable, im sure many of you have been around long enough to experience the bottom of the old tannery......... if gore graces us with another one of those, then i've got problems.