PDA

View Full Version : Uphill traffic???

mtngoat00
11-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Anyone know if uphill hiking is allowed now or is it restricted?

ComeBackMudPuddles
11-04-2008, 07:40 AM
It's state land, so, I'd think there'd be no restrictions (except for maybe in the construction zone on Lookout Mt.).

I'm only guessing, though.

Adirondackskier
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
I just called the mountain..................

When Whiteface is open uphill traffic is not allowed. When Whiteface is closed in the early season it is kind of similar to swim at your own risk. They do not encourage it, but people do it.

Defintely do not try Lookout Mountain because construction is moving very quickly to get it complete before the season begins. I would hate to hold them up for our own selfish thrillseeking pleasure.

frashdog
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Very simple and fair...and I think is more of an agreement than a rule.
I would like to call it a privilage myself that could be lost.
Simply obvious would be some one getting seriously hurt or vandalizing something....done

When lifts are running, head down hill, no uphill movement.

Besides the danger of being in wrong place wrong time and getting run down, the ability for you to hop on the upper lifts (cause they don't look at your passes)and free ride is a concern to managment.

If you get caught hiking up during operation hours on an open or closed tral, say ops sorry and start heading down hill.
A closed ski trail during lift operating hours is closed to everyone, of course except patrollers. :lol:
If you open your mouth and argue how as a ny state peep you got rights to nys land access you may be leaving whiteface in the back of a nys trooper car. Came real close to happening, dude wised up and left in his car.
Almost screwed everyone else out of the current way it is.

Many people hike pre and post season and dawn patrol during the season.

Just stay out of operations, year round. Like trails being groomed or built.

Can you imagine being in the wrong place wrong time with a winch cat cable.