PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Trails at Gore

mattchuck2
11-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Post the Best trail at Gore and the Worst trail at Gore in your opinion

(It has to be on the trailmap, too)

Best: Rumor

Cirque Glades might take it away if it's as sweet as I'm imagining, but for now, Rumor is king. Is there any better trail in the East for Spring bumps? You could make an argument for OL @ Killington, but it's not as steep as Rumor and there are way more a-holes at Killington. Plus, nothing is sweeter on a powder day than the skiing the Headwall and having the snow coming down beside you . . . Like skiing out West.

highpeaksdrifter
11-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Best - High Pines Glades - It's not their toughest liftline, but I really like it. I could ski it all day.

Worst – Lower Cloud

Lbtchnlgs
11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Best:I'll have to get back to you
For some reason I have a feeling we will have some Darkside votes.

Worst: Lower Cloud/top of Mtn trying to get to Lies ect..

midwestblues
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Best
Dark Side Glades and High Pines Glades

Worst
Tahawus Glades - as a boarder, there are just too many places where you need to un hook and push. Looking forward to trying Cirque Glades.

Pray for snow! - It does not look good for late Nov skiing this year.

mattchuck2
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Tahawus glades will have easier access this year from the top of the Burnt Ride Quad . . . Should be sweet.

Harvey44
11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Matt...great concept for a thread.

Funny thing is that what MWB and Matt address..."lesser" access to the Tahawas Glades....as a DOWNSIDE....I don't agree at all.

Love Tahawas. With all due respect to MWB and boarders....because of the lack of boarders and the reduced number of skiers who don't want to do the limited vertical to get there....the Tahawas Glades holds quality snow much longer. It doesn't hurt that North Chair doesn't always run either. I'm tempted to choose the TG as my favorite.

It's teleland...the climbing is easy and the snow is soft. I've taken entire afternoon on busy days...and just done laps over there 7,8,9 or 10 runs. You're still almost alone out there.

http://www.postimage.org/aVE3J4J.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVE3J4J)

OK so back the original thread. It is SO HARD to decide.

I LOVE High Pines, Dark Side, Tahawas, Pine Brook, The Cave. My second choices are EVERYTHING ELSE. ALL of it. I like Upper Darby, Lower Stielhang, Showcase, Sunway, Quicksilver, Cut-off, Ward Hill, Twister. I bet I like the skibowl and the new glades too.

My least favorite is either Wild Air or Sleighride.

I really like the whole damn mountain.

rossi
11-11-2008, 08:34 PM
i love TG and every part of it. i think the entrance is equal to the rest. if you come off that hill and just fly right in it makes for a fun ride...as long is noone is in front of you. ha. my favorite trail would prolly be lies or rumor. i love early season lies when they get done blowing and the huge whale backs are on it.

least favorite trail would prolly be...idk actually. no matter what trail im on i can always find someway to enjoy it. i think the only thing that makes a trail bad is how many ppl are on it. like when you get the 50+ppl on rumor who have no idea how to ski and there just bodies and skis everywhere. haha. that drives me nuts.

I:)skiing
11-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Got to go with Rossi on Lies...love those snow blowing whales. But I will take it as they are blowing it near the end......most people stay away.....fresh tracks on each turnaround.

Worst: Have not skied it enough to comment----therefore I will go with the top of the mountain....lots of skating to get where you want to begin skiing.

CUskibum
11-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Best: Chatiemac or Hawkeye for cruising. Hawkeye gets wicked nice when it gets bumped out. Gore has never really had a "great" terrain park. But a couple of jumps they built last year were decent.

Worst: Lower cloud. Its the only flat part of the mountain. Although its avoidable if you go through Topridge.

St. Jerry
11-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Best: Any of the glades. & Gure-e-gully

Worst: Pineknot, Fairview, or Wild Air

MidnightCarving
11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
best: as mentioned before, tough to say. i have to break it to categories.
cruiser - twister, always a classic
bumps - rumor. no question
glades - either chati or dark side.

gores worst? probably foxlair... too many beginners that rode the gondi to stay warm but can't handle that icy chute.

Harvey44
11-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I can't believe that this thread didn't get more action. Or maybe as Tmorry said in another thread....there are only 10 of us in here, so this is everyone. Thanks to CU for coming out of the woodwork on this.

Midnight - You're right about Foxlair. But every mountain needs a "killing field" where the innocent are slaughtered. Have you seen the one at Stowe at the top of the gondi? All bumped out and a yardsale at every bump.

St J - I'm with you on Fairview. It's the black trail to nowhere. It's probably easier to get to the saddle on Rubyrun. But Jimmer would disagree. (Jimmer....where ARE you? You've been posting more on the WF board - what is up with THAT?) :lol:

Rossi - I am one of those overmatched guys on Rumor. If I don't hit it...how am I supposed to get better?

11-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I haven't responded yet because I can't really make up my mind.

Chatiemac glades have always had a place in my heart, especially if you hike higher and deeper. I also really love the High Peaks chair area so Open Pit/Dark Side/Mineshaft/Hullabaloo area is great too.

I also will never disrespect the awesomeness of Sunway on a sunny afternoon, bombing down to the bottom and skipping the badness that is Wild Air.

Bad trails? The flat part of Ruby Run is all sort of annoying. Even more so for Lower Cloud.

jimmer
11-13-2008, 03:38 PM
i like em all,rumor the best,anything with trees in the way would be next,btw this has been done b4.

MidnightCarving
11-13-2008, 06:29 PM
ahaha, good point on the slaughter harvey, and i have been on stowe's having said that i'll have to retract and go with fairview... as my friend once said, "you'd think they took the zamboni up and down a few times to get that perfect shine" on a windy day with particularly bad ice on fairview.

mattchuck2
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
i like em all,rumor the best,anything with trees in the way would be next,btw this has been done b4.

The lower part of Cloud is $hitty on a powder day, but on a "hardpack" day, it's fine . . . You can make it all the way to the saddle lodge without poling . . .

rossi
11-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Rossi - I am one of those overmatched guys on Rumor. If I don't hit it...how am I supposed to get better?

as long as youre trying to learn. ha. but its when you get the parents and there 5yr old kid who sits in the trail crying, and then the ppl who are just all over. its easy to see the ppl who are trying to ski/ride vs the ppl who are just there. ha.

Harvey44
11-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Let's face it EVERYTHING we do on this board has been done before.I'm not trying to win a prize for originality, just stoke the fire and kill some time before the snow flies...or blows.

Oh yea and sometimes I do sit by the side of the trail on rumor and cry. :lol:

SnowSnake
11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Best:
Double Barrel - not many trails in the east match up to this one on a good day, though I liked it better when it wasn't a trail and was always fresh.

Worst:
Old School Tannery - that was one miserable walk.

takeahike46er
11-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Best:

Black
chatiemac (with bumps) - twists, variety of pitches, takes full advantage of the straightbrook vert
Glade
chatiemac glades - good pitch, fair amount of terrain to explore
Blue
sleeping bear - twisting, narrow, superior snow to the relatively crowded main face

Worst:

Black
fairview - icy trail to nowhere
Glade
Kill Kare - not a bad glade, just never open and very short = worst
Blue:
Wild Air - meh

mattchuck2
12-22-2008, 12:11 PM
(post deleted)

MidnightCarving
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
cedars wins, hedges is practical for getting to tahawas glades.... all you get out of cedars is a workout.

Spongeworthy
12-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Cedars.

All I was thinking was: Is the lift around that next turn? No. The next turn? NO. The next turn. NEVER AGAIN!!! :evil:

Powderqueen
12-24-2008, 08:55 AM
My favorite trail at Gore is now The Cirque Glade. Wow, that was sweet!
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rGrUd5r_LO4/SVBoSSz4ZsI/AAAAAAAADJ8/rcC_QTjMv04/s800/IMG_2018.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_rGrUd5r_LO4/SVBoNce5R-I/AAAAAAAADJc/gCsShaDffws/s800/IMG_2024.jpg

The terrain is varied and interesting in there.

Worst trail...Fair View. It is usually a sheet of ice.

skimore
12-24-2008, 09:05 AM
My favorite trail at Gore is now The Cirque Glade. Wow, that was sweet!

The terrain is varied and interesting in there.

Worst trail...Fair View. It is usually a sheet of ice.\

too bad it's a trail now

Powderqueen
12-24-2008, 09:10 AM
too bad it's a trail now

true

I am glad I got to ski it last year before it was a trail.