PDA

View Full Version : Gore Mountain BC

mattchuck2
12-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Gore offers Backcountry/Cross Country Trails on the trail map. I've taken the hike up to Burnt Ridge (past the lean-to) but I never know exactly wher to go from there. The area sometimes gets overgrown and I wind up making three powder turns, then getting stuck behind brush/logs/etc. Does anyone have a inate familirity with the Gore Mountain BC?

Also, has anyone skied down to the North Creek Ski Bowl from Gore?

highpeaksdrifter
12-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I did last season, it is really boring. Good article in the Times Union this morning about Gore expansion. Same stuff they have been saying, but things could start happening aa soon as next season.

mattchuck2
12-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Nice . . Is that online, anywhere?

mattchuck2
12-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Found It:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=432843

kcyanks1
12-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Gore offers Backcountry/Cross Country Trails on the trail map. I've taken the hike up to Burnt Ridge (past the lean-to) but I never know exactly wher to go from there. The area sometimes gets overgrown and I wind up making three powder turns, then getting stuck behind brush/logs/etc. Does anyone have a inate familirity with the Gore Mountain BC?

No familiarity here. I was always wondering how much they'd be worth it (for someone who likes downhill not cross-country), but I never got a chance to try them out because I'd normally go to Gore with family, and no one else in my family would be interested..Also, on most Gore probably doesn't have enough snow for them. But from their appearance on the trail map, they didn't appear to be true alpine bc trails, but then again I never pulled out a topo map. What's your thought about this - are they good for alpine skiers once you do the initial hike, or is there a lot of flatness throughout?

Seems like part of your experience is that Gore just doesn't get enough snow, especially at the low elevations where those trails are, so the brush/logs/etc. were uncovered.. They also might not have cleaned it up so much. My one experience in Twister Glade which is in a similar area was positive, though--I didn't hit much. Can't remember if that was an especially snowy day/season though.

10-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Get a topo map and go left and right. Burnt Ridge and my favorite Fall Ridge are topoed.

3pinsin
10-25-2006, 09:03 AM
As a virgin to this site, thought i'd chime in. I cant believe that I didnt know this site existed. I spend most my winter on telemarktips. Glad to see this local group chatting away about Gore

Good question brought forth, dont want to go into details about where your talking about. However, in my experience back there, it seems that you either need tons of snow (not happening at Gore the last 2 seasons), and/or someone needs to hack down those annoying treelings/whips in that area. With minimal work, the glades could be pretty good, although I'm yet to find much steeper terrain as compared to the Twister glades. Some guys may have even cut down trees near the ridge, but i'm yet to find a solid, relativly straight line without getting whipped in the face

Lbtchnlgs
10-25-2006, 02:00 PM
i have never taken the time to hike burnt ridge. how long of a hike is it skiiable terrain. Maybe this is a bad question though since everyone is questioning where to go already

10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
With minimal work, the glades could be pretty good, although I'm yet to find much steeper terrain as compared to the Twister glades. Some guys may have even cut down trees near the ridge, but i'm yet to find a solid, relativly straight line without getting whipped in the face

That sums it up, the pitch is within 5 degrees of twister in my books, well the skiable part that is...

Lbtchnlgs
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
anyone been up burnt ridge?