PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Gore

Harvey44
11-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Guy/Girls, Regulars and Lurkers...

There is a rumor out there that Gore is considering charging $10 a car this year to park.

Let's put our thoughts out there on this one, so Mgmt can see what we think. Keep it civil.

It'll be GRASS ROOTS ACTIVISM.

Mike Pratt is the Mountain Manager.

His phone number is 251-2411, ext. 1100 and his e-mail is mike@goremountain.com

Ted Blazer is the President/CEO of ORDA. His e-mail is blazer@orda.org

Tom Carr is ORDA's Resort Services Coordinator. His e-mail is tcarr@orda.org

SnowSnake
11-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Is this going to be for every car, or are they going to have a pay section of the lot like Whiteface does?

megatron
11-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Do not waste your time telling Emily what you think, tell management.

C

http://www.postimage.org/aV1gP6v0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1gP6v0)

Harvey44
11-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Help me out...who do we reach out to and how do we contact them?

midwestblues
11-20-2008, 08:21 AM
How solid is the rumor. I sent a note to the suggestion box. I would be really, really disappointed in Gore Mtn Management if they did this. It would change the whole flavor of the mountain for me. Eric

Cliff
11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I sure hope this is just a rumor! I know from experience on my yearly Western vacations that pay-parking leaves a very bad taste. Now is not the time to "tax" customers who are most likely deeply worried about their financial futures. Skiing is a real take-your-mind-off-your-troubles activity and people sure could use a lot of this right now.
I'm willing to bet that the extra revenue Gore will earn will be more than offset by people whose backs will be broken by this "last straw" and say "that's it....I'm done". Those who don't may choose to go elsewhere where such fees are not imposed.
Cliff

Spongeworthy
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
...who do we reach out to and how do we contact them?Mike Pratt is the Mountain Manager. His phone number is 251-2411, ext. 1100 and his e-mail is mike@goremountain.com.

Ted Blazer is the President/CEO of ORDA. His e-mail is blazer@orda.org.
Tom Carr is ORDA's Resort Services Coordinator. His e-mail is tcarr@orda.org

midwestblues
11-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I sent another email to Mike. We need to flood them with emails letting them know how we feel. Eric

Lbtchnlgs
11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
sent to both.

scary stuff.

Maybe this rumor stuff is just a promo for Rumor being open for opening day :lol:

**Harv you should post something over on the main AZ forums, I'm sure people would be glad to help. I don't have enough time now, then I have a class then it's straight to work. If you don't have time, I'll do it in the morning

***had time :wink:

skimore
11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't have a problem with spending $50+ in the bar at the end of the day.....but this kind of nickel/dime crap is just a total turn off

Harvey44
11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Skimore is right about that.

My official rant (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/11/10-parking-at-gore.html) is up.

PS hey spongeworthy...that name. I like it. :D

Denison
11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
email sent to Mr. Pratt

Lbtchnlgs
11-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Just got an E-mail from Ted.

Didn't say mch other than it's going to be a great season, and that the new chair has a smooooth ride.

Told me to take it up with Pratt

mattchuck2
11-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I can't imagine this being true . . .

Spongeworthy
11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Even if it is true, I'd imagine they'd section off a "preferred lot" or whatever and charge for that. That's BS as well, but it wouldn't be complete and utter BS.I was able to find out today that this is exactly what is "in the works." Diesel still costs a lot and they have to keep the snow guns running.

Harvey44
11-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Is it the whole upper lot? More?

I thought I heard 2 upper lots? I think...

Spongeworthy
11-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Is it the whole upper lot? More?

I thought I heard 2 uppers lots.I don't know, but that would totally suck. OTOH, the upper lot on the Northwoods Lodge side wouldn't suck that much.

I couldn't get specifics. Emily is out until Monday, and I didn't feel like talking to Mike (I had a busy day at work). Bean Dip didn't know the extent of their plans, but he did tell me that The Cirque is beautiful :D

mattchuck2
11-20-2008, 06:53 PM
(post deleted)

mattchuck2
11-20-2008, 07:02 PM
(post deleted)

MidnightCarving
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
this is absurd. I scrounge up every bit of cash i have to get my pass every year. So basically, what they're trying to do, is get me to pay a day rate on top of my pass?

I've been a loyal gore customer literally my entire life. I've been skiing gore since i was 2 years old, and the thing i've always loved most about gore is that they have a down to earth attitude, you don't see flashy ads all over the lodge, the whole place has always been simple, its been about the skiing, not the image or about being rich. Well gore, do this and you've just thrown out the whole reason i admire you.

honestly, i wouldnt have been this upset if they raised the price of my pass a little more, at least they're being upfront about it then... now i feel like i've been decieved.

nyspnypd
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
They already charge you for everything else on the mountain now parking atleast whiteface has a small lot where if people want they can pay but gore is just going to hurt themselves on this one cause people just wont go. There are people who wont pay 10 dollars just to park on the mountain and pay for the lift tickets which are 50 I think not sure I have a pass so I cant say. My opinion they should make a small section where you have to pay to park so atleast the skiers have a choice. :)

jimmer
11-20-2008, 08:33 PM
i dont know where this came from,but sounds totaly absurd to me ,theres no way they can charge 10 bucks for every car,come on wake up.

Spongeworthy
11-20-2008, 09:05 PM
i dont know where this came from,but sounds totaly absurd to me ,theres no way they can charge 10 bucks for every car,come on wake up.We don't know if they're going to charge for every car. As with most rumors, this is getting out of hand. But I did confirm today that SOME kind of fee is being considered for at least a portion of the parking area. I just sent an e-mail to Mike Pratt asking him to address this rampant rumor because it IS getting out of hand.

BTW, who does charge for parking?

Spongeworthy
11-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't have a problem with spending $50+ in the bar at the end of the day.....but this kind of nickel/dime crap is just a total turn offMaybe we can save the extra $10 at the Tannery. After all, Mike the bartender will not be back this year :cry:

I:)skiing
11-20-2008, 11:08 PM
While I dont like it, I also dont have a problem with a business charging for their services or the demands of the customers. I dont demand close parking, thus I dont want to pay extra (or anything) to park....sometimes that means walking and I understand that.

Different perspective. Some guy.gal own a big home they dont rent and season passes for them and their 4 kids. They come to Gore 3 weekends and spend lots of cash. They dont want to wake up at 7 to get on the slopes and a close parking spot. They also dont want to slug their stuff. They would not mind and might not even care about 10 or 20 bucks to park next to the hill. You know the spot that I used to change in and my fellow parkers were drinking out of the trunk next to me. That space is sweet....Gore owns it and in the good ole' USA can charge some smo 10-20 bucks for it.

I understand it.....that is all I am saying. Now if they charge for parking 200-300 yards away....I'm pissed. Cause there is no alternative, its a captive audience. Think of analogies....parking at any football stadium...if your close your paying 30-40 bucks. Hockey, b-ball, basket ball, concerts, highschood football games.....

Someone asked for other ski areas who charge.....I know Vail, Telluride, Beaver Creek----if you want to be within a 10 minute walk to the hill, your paying. Otherwise you are taking a bus or a long green run to get start skiing. Lots of European areas....you must ride public transit to get close. There are no parking lots 100 yards next to the Gondi.

Crazy thought.....this will get peaked interest in coming to North Creek and taking the other way up......free parking lots on the front side. Just ride lifts 25 minutes.

Lbtchnlgs
11-21-2008, 05:21 AM
While I dont like it, I also dont have a problem with a business charging for their services or the demands of the customers. I dont demand close parking, thus I dont want to pay extra (or anything) to park....sometimes that means walking and I understand that.

Different perspective. Some guy.gal own a big home they dont rent and season passes for them and their 4 kids. They come to Gore 3 weekends and spend lots of cash. They dont want to wake up at 7 to get on the slopes and a close parking spot. They also dont want to slug their stuff. They would not mind and might not even care about 10 or 20 bucks to park next to the hill. You know the spot that I used to change in and my fellow parkers were drinking out of the trunk next to me. That space is sweet....Gore owns it and in the good ole' USA can charge some smo 10-20 bucks for it.

I understand it.....that is all I am saying. Now if they charge for parking 200-300 yards away....I'm pissed. Cause there is no alternative, its a captive audience. Think of analogies....parking at any football stadium...if your close your paying 30-40 bucks. Hockey, b-ball, basket ball, concerts, highschood football games.....

Someone asked for other ski areas who charge.....I know Vail, Telluride, Beaver Creek----if you want to be within a 10 minute walk to the hill, your paying. Otherwise you are taking a bus or a long green run to get start skiing. Lots of European areas....you must ride public transit to get close. There are no parking lots 100 yards next to the Gondi.

Crazy thought.....this will get peaked interest in coming to North Creek and taking the other way up......free parking lots on the front side. Just ride lifts 25 minutes.

North Creek can't even hold a business for more than 2 years, they are no where near being the Vail, Telluride, ALPS status. F'n Gore. I know we're making a bigger deal out of this than it might but, but seriously... change suck, especially this one

megatron
11-21-2008, 06:35 AM
[quote="Lbtchnlgs"

North Creek can't even hold a business for more than 2 years, they are no where near being the Vail, Telluride, ALPS status. F'n Gore. I know we're making a bigger deal out of this than it might but, but seriously... change suck, especially this one[/quote]

Ouch! Yes, we are no vail or anywhere else, it's North Creek. I am sure the business owners in North Creek will love your comment.

C

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1xxWUS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1xxWUS)

Harvey44
11-21-2008, 07:32 AM

There's a lot here I agree with. But not all.

A lot if it comes down HOW much parking is going to set aside. If Mike would answer that he might be able to end the whole discussion right now. There's a difference between 50 spots and two lots. (I got the same form letter from him that you guys did.)

The close parking isn't really all about lazyiness. If you've got a family...you've got a ton of stuff. As it is now my wife carrys the baby and stays with her to get her acclimated in the Bear Cub Den and I make THREE TRIPS. I feel like we should be the kind of customers Gore really wants - Lifelong, Family, PASSHOLDERS. Don't make my life harder.

The big point that ILove makes...is about CAPITALISM. I am a capitalist. Charge whatever you want for anything. If your price makes sense from both the cost and revenue side you will thrive. That's one of the "stated" rules of capitalism.

There are also some unstated principles that lead to success. One of them is retaining your best customers. Old customers are always the most profitable. Nobody has to spend marketing dollars to get us to plunk down $1000s of bucks.

Now I understand that some business don't have to provide customer satisfaction. If there is only one grocery store near you...you're still probably not going to drive 3x as far just because the clerks are rude or whatever. Only businesses with competition need to provide customer satisfaction.

That's really the rub here. Many PASSHOLDERS have passes because they own property or have strong ties to North Creek. Let's face it for me...I'm not going to get a pass to Killington - I own property in North Creek. So for ME, unless I sell, Gore has no competition. For a day skier from Saratoga...maybe not so. The truth is - if I was a day skier and only hit Gore 5x a year - I probably wouldn't care about the increase.

MY REAL POINT here is...go ahead and CHARGE whatever you want. I just don't think it's FAIR to add an additional fee on top of my pass cost....AFTER I have committed non-refundable money, a lot of money, last June.

I admit I don't understand the financials of a mountain. But I have always assumed that getting that money upfront from passholders was really important to the mountain. Why would they offer a big discount on it otherwise? If this is true...treat valuable customers like they are valuable.

I'd be less cranky if they'd just sell me a pass for parking too. I don't want to stand in another GD line to pay each day. It's part of the appeal of the pass...no lines for tickets.

Last point...I not sure you're going to be bypassing this whole thing by parking at the skibowl. When/if the development goes in parking is really going to be at a premium.

That is all.

:oops:

Cliff
11-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Managementous Moronous

Always remember this folks.....just because a company has a good product does not mean it's well managed.

Peace;
Cliff

I will not buy another pass

SKIdds
11-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Goodness! People disavowing themselves of Gore, never to buy another season pass, or worse yet, not ski the mountain at all, ever again because...............Gore sees fit to do something just about every other mountain has done at this point, designate a portion of their parking as premium paid spaces? I have to say, I just don't get it.

I'm not saying that there aren't a few valid thoughts out there against, but it is also time that some people started facing up to the economic realities of today's day and age. Mind you, we are not talking about everybody having to pay for parking, about season passholders who have already invested a large amount in the mountain having to pay even more. I'd be dead set against that. What we are talking about is a degree of inconvenience, of having to park for free a little farther away. People are really going to walk over that?

Now let me say this. Just because somebody else does something doesn't make it right. However, premium and valet parking services have become much more widespread over the last 5 years. I can remember when they converted the closest lot (albeint a small one) at Whiteface to premium paid parking. You know something, I wasn't thrilled about it, but I don't ski as often as most of you and I could live with it. Why? Face it, the economy has been getting tougher and tougher. That holds for businesses (including ski resorts) as well as individuals. Mountains looking for a source of additional revenue, especially where a valid market exists, can't really be faulted. Sure, if they converted all parking to pay I would disagree, but mountains aren't doing that. Gore and Whiteface have the added pressure of being beholden to state budgets, making their economic realities even harsher. So given these economic realities, individuals can still park for free, so they aren't harmed financially, while the mountain has an additional revenue stream which can help the mountain stay up and running and improve services. Yes, that comes at the price of a little bit of inconvenience for some, but on the whole it isn't that big a price to pay if it helps the resorts stay financially viable.

I hear you on the convenience factor of not being able to park as close. It does kind of stink. However, it's not like there isn't a dropoff area where you can leave your stuff, eliminating the need to make multiple trips to an outer lot with kids and gear. So you unload, then go park, and lose 10 minutes of your day getting to and from your car. So everyone contibutes their 10 minutes, the mountain provides a service which many people will use and appreciate, and the mountain is in a better position financially. All that said, I do think it would make sense for the moutain to make some concession, or offer a discounted parking pass, to season passholders.

It would seem to me, considering all of that, that bailing on the mountain because they take the closest lots for premium parking is a cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of thing. I suspect cooler heads will prevail. Of course, if they don't, that will be less people tracking out all of those wonderful Gore goodies. Chances are if it is season passholders that bolt they may be above average skiers, thereby reducing the number of people playing in all those wonderful, gladed playgrounds.

As an aside, let me further make you guys angry at me :wink: . I'm no richie-rich, no snob or elitist. I'm a regular guy with three kids and all the logistics involved in getting the family to the mountain. I have all the financial pressures that go with. And again, let me point out that as a 10 day a season skier paid parking isn't as big a financial burden on me as it is on a season passholder who gets in 50+ days a season, but..............I happily have used the valet lot at Windham, and I have found that on a holiday weekend at Whiteface the $10 it costs to park in the premium lot is the best $10 I spend all day!!!!

Cliff
11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
SKIdds;
You've missed the whole point! Whilst you may be happy to pay-to-park, many, many of us older folks covet Gore for the old-days flavor of the mountain. There are still many trails that haven't been widened to boulevards, old, slower lifts that don't put too many people up the mountain as to cause trail-crowding, a basic base lodge that has pretty good seating and doesn't seem to mind that we bring our own lunches, and the list goes on.

Maybe you're one of those folks who like to get to the lot ~10:00 and bitch that you have to park on the access road. I guess pay parking is right up your alley then. I disagree that all ski areas have gone to this....at least not here in the East. Some, sure, but cretainly not most. Look around.

As for the cost of diesel fuel as a reason, it seems to me that I'm paying about half of what I was last year and I suspect Gore may even get a better rate for their bulk buys.

Last but not least, we are in an "up to our necks and looking for a snorkel" recession and anybody with a lick of business sense does averything in thier power to avoid raising prices! No Wharton School degree needed for this.

My .02

Cliff

Denison
11-21-2008, 11:08 AM
on a holiday weekend at Whiteface the $10 it costs to park in the premium lot is the best $10 I spend all day!!!!

true

SKIdds
11-21-2008, 11:30 AM
SKIdds;
You've missed the whole point! Whilst you may be happy to pay-to-park, many, many of us older folks covet Gore for the old-days flavor of the mountain. There are still many trails that haven't been widened to boulevards, old, slower lifts that don't put too many people up the mountain as to cause trail-crowding, a basic base lodge that has pretty good seating and doesn't seem to mind that we bring our own lunches, and the list goes on.

Maybe you're one of those folks who like to get to the lot ~10:00 and bitch that you have to park on the access road. I guess pay parking is right up your alley then. I disagree that all ski areas have gone to this....at least not here in the East. Some, sure, but cretainly not most. Look around.

As for the cost of diesel fuel as a reason, it seems to me that I'm paying about half of what I was last year and I suspect Gore may even get a better rate for their bulk buys.

Last but not least, we are up to our necks and looking for a snorkel recession and anybody with a lick of business sense doe averything in thier power to avoid raising prices! No Wharton School degree needed for this.

My .02

Cliff
Gee, Cliff, there is a lot in there........that you are wrong about. :wink: No need to throw out the insults just because we disagree on a point.

I haven't missed your point, but it does seem you've missed mine. I hear you on the old days flavor. I'm a big proponent. Give me Mad River, Alta or A Basin over Killington, Park City or Aspen any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. You'll find me in the base lodge with my boots on before first chair loads. The only griping that comes out of me in a day on the mountain is how much my legs hurt at the end of the day or how sloppy my turns were on the last run because I've skied from first chair to last on the most difficult terrain the mountain offers, not over parking on the access road (which I never have to do because I don't get there that late). So you have me pegged all wrong, even though when I have the whole family on the mountain I can extoll the virtues of paid premium parking. The point you missed is that times do change, and in this economy even the businesses need to squeeze out every dollar of revenue they can. Yes, they have to do that within reason, without making changes that could hurt long term revenues and profits, but they still need to look at ways of maximizing revenue. Here, they can do that without any kind of across the board price increase, with a little bit of inconvenience to the masses. No Wharton degree is needed to see that either.

SKIdds
11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
on a holiday weekend at Whiteface the $10 it costs to park in the premium lot is the best $10 I spend all day!!!!

true
Slacker!

Oh, sorry.....I seemed to have been temporarily possessed by Cliff.

megatron
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
In a perfect world :D , Gore would not be held hostage by ORDA's appetite for its' profits, and would therefore be able to fund itself. Instead of funding a new, ridiculously over budget, conference center in LP, which has ZERO benefit for Gore or North Creek. I understand the thought process that Gore has in regards to capitalizing on rich, lazy people, but as Harv stated, they should have announced this last year, before passes went on sale. And BTW, the "new" parking lot that Mike Pratt refers to was just started to be built this past Monday.
Just my 2 cents...

C

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1yMUf9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1yMUf9)

Cliff
11-21-2008, 12:11 PM

true
Slacker!

Gotta love them downstaters....sure do know the value of a buck!! :roll:

SKIdds
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM

true
Slacker!

Hey, my brother and I forego one Ubu Ale, split the $10 parking fee, and come out even. I won't hold it against you that you need to contribute your $10 to the Old Milwaukee and Overalls fund. :evil: :twisted: :roll:

Cliff
11-21-2008, 01:27 PM

true
Slacker!

Hey, my brother and I forego one Ubu Ale, split the $10 parking fee, and come out even. I won't hold it against you that you need to contribute your $10 to the Old Milwaukee and Overalls fund. :evil: :twisted: :roll:

:D :D :D Good one, I have to admit. Not worh a flame war..let's BTH, (bury-the-hatchet)!

Looks like the damage is done anyway and we'll have pay parking weather we like it or not. I have no choice but to walk or suck-it-up and pay! The really elderly skiers will certainly suffer on this.

Peace SKIdds....
Cliff (hope my tractor will start for the ride home :wink: )

SKIdds
11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm with you!

When I saw you had replied, before I read anything, I had already planned to admit defeat and bow out of any potential escalating "insult" war. I use "insult" beacuse my post were all in good nature. No offense intended to upstaters!!!!

It's tough to deal with changes, espcially changes instituted after people have made big financial committments in season passes and such. As far as solutions go, the parking fees will probably only be a drop in the bucket, but every little bit might count and I hope they put the $$$ to good use. This was posted over on the Whiteface board....

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/503617.html?nav=5008

....so it looks like things will only get worse for a while. If even the possibility exists that the revenue generated by premium parking fees means a lift turns for a couple of weekends when it might not have otherwise, or a little more snow gets blown later in the season, wouldn't the trip to the "joe sixpack parking lot" have been worth it?

Roll with the punches, I always say.

Harvey44
11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
If even the possibility exists that the revenue generated by premium parking fees means a lift turns for a couple of weekends when it might not have otherwise, or a little more snow gets blown later in the season, wouldn't the trip to the "joe sixpack parking lot" have been worth it?

I completely agree. In my book if you MUST raise prices - tax all tickets equally. Call it a fuel tax. Even put a little sign on each gun that says ..."your tax dollars at work." :D

It's not like the Gore price isn't fair compared to other mountains. It is WAY competitive. What is Killington? You know it's a lot. Even at the the same price...I'd rather be at Gore. And I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I disagree with the fact that passholders will put more into that parking tax than others. The pass is supposed to make the mountain more affordable...not more expensive. Without realizing it...last summer I was buying a bunch of parking too. I bought it bulk. Give me a bulk price.

And like I said...if they'd sell me a seasons parking pass, with a reasonable discount, I'd buy it, forget it, and it wouldn't make me cranky every day I ski.

PS HEY MIKE: Why not let us know how many spots you are talking about. :D

SKIdds
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I hear you Harvey, but the premise of your argument is that you have no other choice but to pay the parking fee. That isn't the case. You don't have to pay for parking. Your cost of skiing doen't have to go up a single penny over what you anticipated it would be when you bought your season pass.

11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't give two shits as long as there still is plenty of parking that doesn't cost 10 dollars - and by the sounds of it, there should be.

Old charm and flavor and all of that are great, but roping a section of the lot for 10 dollars doesn't really take that away. More condos and expansion are way more "charm-removing" that a pay section of the lot.

[edit: they could quell any over zealous locals and vets by making a "season pass holder lot" right next to, or behind, the pay lot"

mattchuck2
11-21-2008, 04:57 PM
(post deleted)

highpeaksdrifter
11-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't know, man . . . The whole thing still seems fishy to me.

How would we feel if the cordoned off the 7 closest tables to the new outdoor Fireplace and put a $5 charge per seat there?

How would we feel if they had a "express" lane at the lift that you could pay an extra $75 a day to skip the normal lift line?

How would we feel if they started auctioning off seats at the bar?

This whole thing is a continuation of the Strattonfication of Gore, and I don't like it one bit.

Strong post

Danzilla
11-21-2008, 10:35 PM
This is obviously a hot button issue so hopefully everyone won't hate me for this post.

I think a few things could be done to raise funds and still not piss everyone off:

Charge $20 a day for valet parking. $100 a week. $1000 a season. Valet lot could be the little lot below the main lot. People that park the cars would make a little extra in tips and the "rich" folks would be happy.

Have a section of the upper lot available for "premium" parking $10 a day, $50 a week, $500 a season.

Keep some of the premo spots open to general public so early birds can still park somewhat close and not have to take a shuttle.

I love the fact that Gore isn't Stratton OR Killington, etc. Even the "rich" folks at Gore aren't nearly that obnoxious. With family and friends I sometimes end up arriving around 9 or 10 and love to "drop people off" only to find a great spot up front. However, the mountain could make some extra bucks and not piss everyone off if they do it right.

A few other recommendations I have made before that would make passholders happy and maybe make a few extra dollars. These aren't my ideas as I have seen this done out West/East, etc:

1. First tracks for all pass holders. Fire up ADK express on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays at 7:30 for passholders to get a few warm up runs before everyone else gets on the mountain. Ideally "first tracks" would be the Gondola to Straightbrook, but I am a realist. Steamboat has a program like this and it really encourages people to buy a season pass.

2. Offer overnight ski and boot valet on weekends and holidays for $5 a day outside at the base. This is a great perk for folks who come for a few visits a year and yet again the locals make some tips. A nice feature that wouldn't cost much.

3. Season locker rentals with a discount for Season passholders. Lots of mountains have this and it is great for families. It makes getting on the mountain much easier and there is plenty of space in the bottom of the "old" lodge.

Can't wait for the Burnt Ridge terrain and the return of TRAPPERS. I hope they still have those wings and that beef stew (and $5 pitchers).

My two cents.

Danzilla

Denison
11-21-2008, 11:57 PM
I find $10 parking lot at Whiteface very convenient in some circumstances:

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/ForPosting/w.jpg

In case of Gore it is quite hard to separate an attractive parking area:

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/ForPosting/g.jpg

11-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Adding to Danzilla's---

200 or so spots (pay or not) for "family" parking. Or youth family parking.....next to Lincoln lodge.

x number of spots for "family" spots.......not youth. Pay or not.

Extra spots (a bit further) for an extra $100 parking fee that would be added to season pass.

They know the demographics, so the Y number of spots for SINGLE or Double skier cars for folks over 65----special sticker must be obtained. AND could not have Grampa and 5 family members in the car....( pay to park in family and drop Papa off) THis would be free to keep seniors coming.

Special area for season pass holders.....Free (my local mt has this....as well as discounts on ski lockers)

Our local mt just had its return instructors meeting.....National Snow Area Managment just did a poll last year that established that RETURNING skiers (promotors---those who tell others to go to a specific mountain because they had a great time) Ranked Parking Convience as a primary mover.....afterall, its the last thing someone does....go to their car and drive away. Piss them off and they not only might not be back, but might tell 7 others not to come back. This may be where this idea for pay parking may be coming from. You just dumped 600 bucks to take your fam of 4 skiing, eating etc...and you are walking down an access road to get to your car.......This guy would be much happier if he could pay 10 bucks to be much closer.

11-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Regarding my comment about parking free in Ski Bowl and the response that NC was no Vail or Beaver Creek.....that was my point. You pay to park at Vail or BC......at NC parking would be free. You simply had to ride the long lift or shuttle if you wanted to take advantage of the freeness. The goal would be to get more folks on that side of the mt, which would increase business etc....Maybe in 10 yrs, when people desired to park in NC, you would be charged to park in NC, and free parking would be had at Gore proper. Just a dumb thought...

Harvey44
11-22-2008, 12:49 AM
I know that Matt was dead serious when he posted this, but CB and I just peed our pants on this one:

They might as well put up signs that say "Parking for people better than you."

megatron
11-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Adding to Danzilla's---

This guy would be much happier if he could pay 10 bucks to be much closer.

What happens when the president and first lady of the Crack-of-Noon club get to the mountain, and the paid spots are all gone? They will be walking form down the Access Rd like everyone else.

C

http://www.postimage.org/aV1qy9J0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1qy9J0)

Harvey44
11-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Hey Megatron....you mentioned that new parking lots are going in....how big and where?

megatron
11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey Megatron....you mentioned that new parking lots are going in....how big and where?

It is about 200 yards down the access rd on the right, right about where the xc trail crossed the road. They are just finishing the clearing and chipping of the lot, so it is hard to judge the exact size, but I would say that it would easily fit the # of cars that would fill up the access rd.

C

http://www.postimage.org/aV1qy9J0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1qy9J0)

Harvey44
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I think it would be funny if we all gave a can of food to the guy collecting money for the parking. Load em up.

"I heard that it's was $10 off with a canned good!"

mattchuck2
11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, that's be kind of dick to the parking attendant, though . . . It's not his fault . . .

mattchuck2
11-25-2008, 05:28 PM

Yeah, I saw them clearing while I was up last week . . .

In the picture posted by Denison, it's not even visible . . . It's further downhill, right where the access road makes it's last big right hand turn.

Harvey44
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Matt...you make me laugh. :D

I found this on the internets. I can't vouch for it's accuracy:

"I spoke with Mike Pratt, Gore Mt mountain manager. He would not reveal the amount of parking spaces that will be reserved for those willing to pay. He did not say how much will be charged or how they will collect the money. I asked about backing cars down the access road when the "toll"is set up and he said they are still trying to figure it out. He said that there will be a better shuttle system. He did say that other than holidays, there will be no charges for midweek skiing or when the shuttle is not working. They are currently building a 500 space lot just below the gate which should keep cars off the access road during busy times.

They have ordered an 800 vertical ft triple for the North Creek Ski Bowl that will be installed next year. They will extend the snowmaking up the Ski Bowl. From the top of this lift you will be able to ski down to the new high speed Burnt Ridge Quad to gain access to the main mountain. This will give Gore 2500" vertical, 6th largest in the East.

It is snowing at Gore right now and they have 8" so far. They are planning to open Friday."

Spongeworthy
11-25-2008, 09:42 PM
"I spoke with Mike Pratt, Gore Mt mountain manager. He would not reveal the amount of parking spaces that will be reserved for those willing to pay. He did not say how much will be charged or how they will collect the money. I asked about backing cars down the access road when the "toll"is set up and he said they are still trying to figure it out.So Mike put this in place without figuring out the details.

Typical :roll:

Harvey44
11-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Just to be clear - I didn't speak to Mike. That is reposted from another forum.

Face4Me
11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't know, man . . . The whole thing still seems fishy to me.

How would we feel if the cordoned off the 7 closest tables to the new outdoor Fireplace and put a $5 charge per seat there?

How would we feel if they had a "express" lane at the lift that you could pay an extra $75 a day to skip the normal lift line?

How would we feel if they started auctioning off seats at the bar?

This whole thing is a continuation of the Strattonfication of Gore, and I don't like it one bit.
Thanks a lot for this post.

If we should ever happen to meet, it would be my privilege to buy you a drink (or two).

11-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Regarding the nooner coming to the full lot and having to walk the access road or ride the shuttle....I would think (being a skier---most of which are pretty nice folks...just to begin with) would think to himself....Damm, got to get the kids.wife up earlier...my fault...Not Gore's. In his mind, it would only be Gore's fault if they did not have some reserved spaces. And..in my view (which may not be popular on this subject) if the spaces are filling up every saturday---they need to charge more....not add more spaces. My view. Example, let 200 people pay 20 dollars....$4000. Rather than 400 pay $10 or 800 pay $5.

The 200 would likely not be pissed at all. Rather they get to feel good....becuase they spent money and are privelaged. All 800 would be pissed, because now they are really not close for paying to park...and the rich would be pissed because they would rather pay more to park closer.

Remember, trying to please everyone, pleases no one.

I saw a plan view of the new parking lot about 1 yr ago on some odd Engineering website....I called Gore to ask about it...they advised it was only a plan and would not be built. Guess I spoke to the wrong person.

jimmer
11-26-2008, 05:27 AM
i dont care i dont care i dont care ill never pay to park at gore,ill let the weekenders worry about it,you all should be happy that gas is now less than 2.00 dollars a gallon,at least i can afford to drive to the hill this winter.

Harvey44
11-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Emily called me on my cell this am.

There will be no fee for parking this weekend. I've got a meeting now... more details later this am.

EDIT: I asked Emily if I could quote her on "no parking fees this weekend." She said yes. She promised that there would be plenty of advanced notice on the website.

I pushed her on just how many spots would be put aside. She said it would be based on demand. Not sure what that means.

She did say, I can't imagine that those arriving at 7:30 like I do would be left with the choice of walking through an empty lot or paying to park in the upper lot. Emily - from your lips to God's ear.

She talked about all the improvements that have been made and how Gore has been re-investing a lot in the mountain. I had to agree. I still feel that it would be more fair to put increases in ticket prices.

She's a good lady.

Harvey44
11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Anybody else get this? Sounds like a form letter that was sent to many:

Hello,

Thank you so much for contacting us regarding parking at Gore Mountain. Rest assured, you can park FREE any day of the upcoming season at Gore. We have added more parking, more shuttle buses, and anticipate your parking experience will be much improved. We are exploring premier paid parking, which is commonplace at many ski areas and attractions. How many spots that may be reserved for that option has yet to be seen.
Thanks again for writing to us, and I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Friday will be the best opening day we've had in years, and I hope to see you.

Emily Stanton
Gore Mountain Marketing Manager
(518) 251-2411, X1121
emily@goremountain.com

2008/2009 Season Passes on Sale Now!

NPN
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I've been on the sidelines to this point because it seemed still stuck in rumor mode, but these last posts by Harv appear to put the nail in the proverbial coffin.

IMHO, it's one thing for Whiteface to take the former NYSEF lot, and turn those relatively few spots into an added revenue source for the Jersey Hummer driving chowderheads. There's still the very nearby road spots, and lot 2 ( I'm sorry, I think it's now the Ausable, or River lot ) which is a no brainer stroll across the bridge for the early risers.

But to take the entire upper lot at Gore, and turn it into premier parking would be such a MAJOR hastle, I'd condider never showing up again.

Clearly, Gore management remains totally f.....!

Sooooooo sad.

nyspnypd
11-26-2008, 08:18 PM
IMHO, it's one thing for Whiteface to take the former NYSEF lot, and turn those relatively few spots into an added revenue source for the Jersey Hummer driving chowderheads. There's still the very nearby road spots, and lot 2 ( I'm sorry, I think it's now the Ausable, or River lot ) which is a no brainer stroll across the bridge for the early risers.

Agreed but I always seem to get stuck in the upper lot during the holidays. But yeah why would you pay 10 dollars when you could take a short walk across the bridge. And yeah the only cars I really see in the parking lot during holidays and most other weekends is the big SUV from jersey. :)

Harvey44
11-26-2008, 08:43 PM

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I've skied Whiteface. And I've have no problem with a setup like that. You are really close in that River (?) lot. And if you get there even semi-early you are good to go.

Maybe the thing to do is reduce the size of the pay lot to 20% of the upper lot. Charge $50 bucks. Same revenue more happy customers, and the added entainment of seeing who would actually pay the freight.

Oh yea...Cliff - I was real little in the 60s but I did hit at a Peter Paul and Mary concert when I was 5. Maybe some of it rubbed off on me.

Xtremeskiier
11-28-2008, 05:26 PM
thats still a dumb idea to raise revenue. my guess is if they start charging more, people WILL go other places... i most definately will. most ski areas are lowering prices and cutting fees in hopes of luring more people, it would be suicide... also hasnt the cost of diesel been cut in half recently like gasoline?