PDA

View Full Version : Kite Skiing

11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Anyone know how to kiteski? My wife bought me a trainer last year for Christmas and I didn't get out once to use it. I windsurfed and sailed for years. I'm good with using and reading the wind. I would like to go out with someone who knows what they are doing so I'm not floundering about out there freezing my ass off. I think I'm going to go on my teley stuff so I can ski back if I can't tack back. Anyone up for it?

highpeaksdrifter
11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Anyone know how to kiteski? My wife bought me a trainer last year for Christmas and I didn't get out once to use it. I windsurfed and sailed for years. I'm good with using and reading the wind. I would like to go out with someone who knows what they are doing so I'm not floundering about out there freezing my a** off. I think I'm going to go on my teley stuff so I can ski back if I can't tack back. Anyone up for it?

You gotta tell me when and where cause I gotta see this. :D

nyspnypd
11-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Anyone know how to kiteski? My wife bought me a trainer last year for Christmas and I didn't get out once to use it. I windsurfed and sailed for years. I'm good with using and reading the wind. I would like to go out with someone who knows what they are doing so I'm not floundering about out there freezing my a** off. I think I'm going to go on my teley stuff so I can ski back if I can't tack back. Anyone up for it?

You gotta tell me when and where cause I gotta see this. :D

You know what the show called ski patrol showed this not sure on the episode name but it was actually pretty interesting and looked like fun. I know itunes sells the episodes but maybe their website will have it. :)

NPN
11-24-2008, 07:06 PM
W, there's a group of people over in Burlington who've put together a kite skiing/sailing club. I'm sure they'll have some insight.

If you called the outfitter over there who used to have the sister/brother store next to Maui North they'll have the connect info.

11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
W, there's a group of people over in Burlington who've put together a kite skiing/sailing club. I'm sure they'll have some insight.

If you called the outfitter over there who used to have the sister/brother store next to Maui North they'll have the connect info.

Dude, I don't do outfitters. I tought myself to roll a kayak and run class V on my own. I don't think I need to pay a kid $85@ hour to fly a kite. Know what I mean?
See you Friday

snowman
11-24-2008, 08:31 PM
All right, I take the bait...
Did you teach yourself how to ski?

(the crowd says "it looks like it")

All for fun!

Face4Me
11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't know if you're interested, but if you are ... http://kitesurfingschool.org/kiteskiing.htm

It looks really wild ... and painful too!!! I'm with Drifter ... I'd like to watch!

NPN
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Dude, I don't do outfitters. I tought myself to roll a kayak and run class V on my own. I don't think I need to pay a kid $85@ hour to fly a kite. Know what I mean?
See you Friday

Sadly, and I'm surprised to say it, you missed my point entirely.

So, I'll try once again.

There is a club, who are based in the Burlington area, who kite ski on Champlain in Winter, and, since I don't know the exact connect for them, may I suggest that the outdoor store ( I used to know it as the Gear Exchange ) over there might be able to provide a better point of contact.

They are not outfitters, they are just a slightly organized group of people who are active in what you are trying to learn.

Good luck, and please make sure that the wife shares the opening day video.

highpeaksdrifter
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpFwEelVRU

NPN
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Damn Sam, that requires some definite "testicallehs GRANDE"!!!

nyspnypd
12-03-2008, 09:35 PM
jeez you have to be crazy to do that. :shock:

12-04-2008, 07:43 AM

Check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpFwEelVRU

This isn't kite skiing it's parafoil gliding on skis. Check this out. The music is great and the approach is fun. Do you find your head tilting to the side back and forth when watching?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eSnBK-Mps&NR=1

whipple
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I know this as Parapont or paragliding. I got a change to do this back in the 80s in Chile. Its a riot but unfortunately it requires a lot of open space (not a lot off vegetation on the mountain) and I don't know of any were it the East that it's possible :cry:

Powderqueen
12-05-2008, 03:19 PM
We have a big kiting community here in Ithaca. I windsurf, so I know many of these guys from being on the lake. If you have been kayaking for a while, you may know Karl Gesslein (aka Krazy Karl...7' tall dude)who is known for running all of the Eagle Section of the Beaver backwards multiple times. He's an "on the edge" kinda guy. Anyhoo, he's big into kiting. He and the guys go up to kite at Tug Hill every so often. If you want to get on their listserve, you can milk them for info and possibly a hook-up. They are always eager to teach others. I tried it, though I found it way more dangerous than windsurfing, so I'll stick to windsurfing, thanks. This ole gal can't take the spills like she used to. Can't risk losing out on ski season. As it is, I'm nursing a partially torn rotator cuff and plan to ski w/o poles this weekend.

you can join IthacaKiting@googlegroups.com or email Karl at lightlink.com

they often sell gear on that website as well and are always welcoming of newbies

NPN
12-05-2008, 06:04 PM
We have a big kiting community here in Ithaca. I windsurf, so I know many of these guys from being on the lake. If you have been kayaking for a while, you may know Karl Gesslein (aka Krazy Karl...7' tall dude)who is known for running all of the Eagle Section of the Beaver backwards multiple times. He's an "on the edge" kinda guy. Anyhoo, he's big into kiting. He and the guys go up to kite at Tug Hill every so often. If you want to get on their listserve, you can milk them for info and possibly a hook-up. They are always eager to teach others. I tried it, though I found it way more dangerous than windsurfing, so I'll stick to windsurfing, thanks. This ole gal can't take the spills like she used to. Can't risk losing out on ski season. As it is, I'm nursing a partially torn rotator cuff and plan to ski w/o poles this weekend.

you can join IthacaKiting@googlegroups.com or email Karl at lightlink.com

they often sell gear on that website as well and are always welcoming of newbies

Wow, Karl kite skiing. Now that's got to be entertaining.

frashdog
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

See you Friday
Ya dude......I am a very lucky semi self taught amature kiter. I say semi self cause there was four of us learning, helping and chasing. I've done kite boarding at the ocean and snow kiting (foil kite)on lakes around hear. Nothing like ripping across a lake at 40mph shreadding the horizontal pow.

I too am self taught class V pladdler, among other things a self taught rock/ice climber, 100mph wheelie rider, and professional technical tree feller and climber.

Kite skiing/boarding is one of the hands down most dangerous things I have ever done. Theres no brakes and theres no turning the wind off. Wrong kite size, wrong wind, wrong place can be very bad. In the snow you launch your kite some times attached to a stable object like an ice screw. I had it attached to my snowmobile, the wind died for a moment allowing the kite to fall from the over head stable stall down into the power window before I could do anything it picked one end of my sled up about waist high and moved it 90degrees onto my gear, luckly not me.

Best advice, take a lesson. It makes it so much more fun and safe faster.
Don't want that advice, get a small trainer kite, read all about how to use it, start off in low wind work your way upto big winds before getting real kites.

Try a video search the net for kite accidents. See what can go wrong. Get on kite forums and ask questions.

peace

highpeaksdrifter
12-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I was driving by Marcy Field a little after 4 PM yesterday and I see this guy trying to kite ski. He was moving a little, but his kite was all over the place and he was having a hard time controlling it. If I had time I would have stopped and watched for awhile.

Face4Me
12-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I was driving by Marcy Field a little after 4 PM yesterday and I see this guy trying to kite ski. He was moving a little, but his kite was all over the place and he was having a hard time controlling it. If I had time I would have stopped and watched for awhile.
I say him too when I went by at around 3:00 ... that looks crazy!!!