PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Area

I:)skiing
12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
So from the maps and listing, there is not really a true beginner area (training) open yet. And older posts seem to show that Gore is right on track with the runs they typically open. Further, their instructor site advises they are teaching all levels....eventhough the website clearly advises intermediate and expert terrain only.. :roll:

General statement: 25% of all lessons have to be beginner. True statement, beginners can ski on a magic carpet area for so long (not showing open, but may be) but where do they go next????? Gore has a great beginner area in Bear Cub.....

WHY IS THIS RUN NOT THE FIRST TO OPEN? I think the statement is.....family's stay away. Yet, Gore tries to be known for its family friendlyness.

Someone set me straight or testify.....

Harvey44
12-05-2008, 12:00 AM
It's insane.

They spent $1 million blasting Ruby Run so they could have a top-to-bottom beginner run from the Gondi.

But they aren't blowing on Lower Sunway...one of the best beginner runs in the east.

And they are, for some unknown reason, working on SLEIGHRIDE.

And they took some beginners off Quicksilver last weekend on a sled.

I can hear Matt's brain exploding now.

How's that? :shock:

megatron
12-05-2008, 06:37 AM
How many beginners are out there the first few weekends? Not Many!
How many "experts"? "Most" of them!
Big K makes snow up top first, not on snowshed.
$$ dictates where the snow is made. Sleighride is the home of Gore's "terrain park", that is why they are blowin' on it.
Guns are going up top today. Pray for real snow to help!

The report has clearly stated that there is only intermediate and expert terrain open only. And yes, it does say that they have lessons for all abilities. They are using the bottom of twin fawns for true beginner lessons, with the walk up method.

Hope that sheds some light.

C

http://www.postimage.org/gx1bxVV0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1bxVV0)

St. Jerry
12-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, it does not make sense.

Harvey44
12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
It's unrelated to this thread but for what it's worth, for now, I like the terrain park in the saddle. I know the jibbers probably don't.

I've always thought they should run a snowfence down the middle of the saddle to capture all the natural snow that blows across. You can get 30" in a noreaster and none will stick in the saddle because of the wind.

fujative.
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I know the jibbers probably don't.

you got that right.
but there is a major problem with the park being where it is.... its FLAT! for the 1 almost kinda legit jib we have set up, jason had to push up a whole mountain of snow, and more snow for the jump, and then even MORE snow for a starting ramp (and we still cant get enough speed). yet with all that, you still have to skate in from the ramp of the triple just to get speed to clear the jump.
with gore's views on park, im actually really suprised that their blowing on sleighride. honestly, if i was management i would be making showcase/wild air/lower sunway a priority, no doubt.

but then again, most of us who ride park at gore do it because gore is a dope mountain in general. always a fun group of kids to ride with, and amazing skiing out of the park. hell, the whole mountains a park (yes, believe it or not, some of us know how to ski out of the park :shock:). if someone comes here just to ski our park, their pretty dumb, becasue its not even close to what a mountain who cares about their park would have. [/i]

mattchuck2
12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
If it was truly intermediates and experts only, I'd have no beef with the way it is now. The problem arises because every "intermediate" is not created the same. In fact, a lot of "intermediates" are beginners who think that they are capable of skiing blues. They may be able to ski it when everything is groomed out to perfection, but as we saw last weekend, that doesn't always happen. The minute those people hit the tiny bumps on Quicksilver, they froze up and freaked, creating all sorts of dangerous situations. Not to mention that last Headwall before 3B . . . That place was a cornucopia of fear and loathing.

Yes, they should be blowing on Lower Sunway and the Poma lift . . . It would give people another option from Sunway, they could teach lessons, and they could run the double (cutting down on traffic to the Gondola).

As far as the Terrain Park, I like it on sleighride (I guess it's as good as anywhere else), but I think they should move the setup they have up there at the saddle to a new location on the far skier's left side of The Arena (where they used to do the big air). Put the rails at the top (like in front of the Saddle), Make the jump Bigger and put a quarterpipe at the bottom. Then I'd be able to sit on the deck at lunch and watch some carnage.

Harvey44
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Matt you crack me up.

I have a question...why blow on Ruby Run if you are blowing off the beginners? Just go with Foxlair and be done with it.

I'm not totally serious about that. I know Foxy is probably tougher than Quickie but still.

Lbtchnlgs
12-06-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm drunk, its 2:28am and Gore still doesn't look appealing.

..Troll.

Harvey44
12-06-2008, 02:32 AM
We could publish a collection of all of Lbt's after midnight posts and sell them a Christmastime.

Maybe give the money to the salvation army kid at the Tops in North Creek.

Harvey44
12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
As of Saturday they've got Sunway done down to 3B.

I'd bet by tomorrow (Sunday) they've got it done all the way down.

Great conditions on Sunway today (sat), some of the best anywhere on the mountain.

I:)skiing
12-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Experts and Intermediates bring the money TODAY. Beginners bring the money for the FUTURE. Again, Gore has some great areas for this, but a committment must be made. My thoughts are they could blow bear cub. One night of blowing and they are done. Really only need 6" for the kind of skiing that is done on that run... Even if there are not a lot of beginners...the snow will stick around and they only have to groom it.

What do they do with the kids that get dropped off in day camps....sorry for you.

I worked at our hill this weekend. Our beginner zone was packed....two majic carpets burning up the hill and 3-8 yr olds all over the place. Our hill might have had 4-6 inches on this run...max. Of course our snow report said 12".

megatron
12-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Everything will be wide open with the snow that is comin', so please stop whining.

C

http://www.postimage.org/PqB3FtA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqB3FtA)