PDA

View Full Version : Weather/deteriorating conditions next week?

tobnpr
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Seems our once-a-year trip to LP/Whiteface might be in jeopardy the end of the month? Every year we try to get there for a ski trip at the end of Dec (from FL) over the school break. Last year was great, year before had to cancel 'cause we don't play golf :) (but we did come for a shorter trip in Feb)

Our hotel reservations are non-refundable after the 15th so we have to decide "yay" or "nay" by this time next week at the latest. Current forecast is calling for quite a few days above freezing over the next week with rain. Doesn't look to me like there's enough base yet to take the hit if the forecast I'm seeing holds...Sucks because we really love LP and it's become our "tradition" every year. I'm not really interested in skiing purely on icy manmade stuff...

I know I can wait the week and see what happens, but I'm really considering making alternate plans for Colorado (where we've never been yet). We're "green" trail skiers (only 3 trips skiing so far) and hopefully could graduate to some easier blues this year, but trails more difficult than that are beyond our ability now. I'd rather take a small hit on re-booking the airline tickets for somewhere else than locking myself in to paying a hotel bill for a couple of grand $$ that I'm going to have to kiss goodbye if conditions turn to crap...

Wondering what you locals are "feelin"...should I head west? Thanks in advance for any advice :?

frashdog
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
They've been pounding the snow. Personally, I would not trust any weather report over two days away. I watch the weather/reports up here everyday and plan jobs based on weather. It will take a good thaw or heavey warm rain to set back the momentum they have going now at the mountain. With that said be prepared for anything. It was around -10F last night down around 0 or colder again tonight.

Sure it gets hard at whiteface from time to time. But with the upgraded snow making now it usually only lasts a day or so after a warm spell. Make sure your skies are sharp, makes a world of difference. Can make terra firm fun actually. One storm can change the scene in an instant. Pray for snow.

Face4Me
12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
If you read Herb Stevens' latest report, http://www.snocountry.com/article.php/20081207100355756, note the last paragraph in particular, he seems to think that much of December in the Eastern part of the country will be colder than normal. Also, with the exception of Wednesday the 10th, the AccuWeather 15 day forecast is showing relatively seasonally cold temperatures for Lake Placid. By the end of the month, things should be in pretty good shape ... Of course there are no guarantees! :)

NPN
12-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't comment on next week, but the next day, and a half seems to be nothing more than a slight hiccup to what has been a record breaking start to the season.

Regardless, I can't imagine it will have any effect on your trip's time frame.

That said, I'm not sure, but I think they are having a pretty good start out West as well.

I've been watching the Beaver Creek/Aspen WC events, and it looks sweet.

But, then again, when I rode up the Gondi opening weekend it looked like mid-Feb ( in a good year ).

nyspnypd
12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I would say you are fine the weather looks favorable for your trip.