PDA

View Full Version : Summit Chair?

MidnightCarving
12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Jimmer had posted that he heard the summit chair was done for good.. granted, he heard it from a janitor, but regardless i'd like to know more. Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

I would be pretty upset if they were closing it down for good, granted it's not the most popular area, but it's truly an area where the die-hards go to get away from the crowds and hit some of the finest terrain on the mtn...

rossi
12-22-2008, 07:15 PM
it hasnt been spinning in the past 3days. i hope its not done, its prolly the best area on the mountain.

MidnightCarving
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah i was kind of wondering why they were making everyone go down to the north chair, but now it all makes sense... maybe thats what they're going to do from now on... good lord i hope not, that means to take 2 runs on the dark side you need to go down to north, up north, down to gondi, up gondi, down to straighbrook, up straightbrook and finally down the trail of your choice..........

ridiculous. who is planning this!?

CUskibum
12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Jimmer had posted that he heard the summit chair was done for good.. granted, he heard it from a janitor, but regardless i'd like to know more. Does anyone have any concrete info on this?

I would be pretty upset if they were closing it down for good, granted it's not the most popular area, but it's truly an area where the die-hards go to get away from the crowds and hit some of the finest terrain on the mtn...

I heard that some cable that helped offset some tension on the lift broke. I could be wrong.

jimmer
12-22-2008, 09:42 PM
the janitor thing was kind of a joke,kind of a thing we say,when you really want to know whats going on-ask the janitor,allthough ed did say that,im not gonna stick to it.BUT did talk to a couple of lift maintence guys and there IS DEFENATLY something up with the lift,weather it will be fixed,just gonna have to wait and see.i wood love to see it up and running,theres some mity fine terrain over there...and with this new br thing there going to leave something out of the mix.they werent even running the north side 2day,nor the top ridge chair,thats like a quarter of the hill shut down,whats up with that.

Harvey44
12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I'd pay $10 to park if they use the money to fix the summit chair.

That chair is the soul of the mountain.

MidnightCarving
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
hahahaha harv... we make so many compromises back and forth on this board.. no wonder nobody takes us seriously........

but i do agree with you, i'd pay 10 bucks to park if they guaranteed they were gonna put it to fixing the summit.

jimmer, i cant believe this.. i mean, i understand that the economy is bad, but they did raise prices again this year... i wanna at least get as much of the mtn as i can... its kind of part of the deal... i give gore money for a pass... and they subsequently give me access to everything that is safe for skiing.... i think the north and topridge are still safe for skiing based on what i experienced this weekend....

SKIdds
12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
.........they werent even running the north side 2day,nor the top ridge chair,thats like a quarter of the hill shut down,whats up with that.
I'll throw this out for the Gore management types that pay any attention to these boards. Granted, I don't ski Gore often, but I'd like to more. However, it is exactly this type of operational management that really keeps me from throwing more of my days and dollars Gore's way. The High Peaks area has some of the best terrain on the mountain. Having to ride three lifts or do some hiking out to take a run is not what you expect for even a midweek lift ticket. And that is assuming the North Quad is open. If it isn't you have to break rules, duck ropes, and hike out to ski terrain that is safe and skiable, but for lift access and patrol. This is dangerous for several reasons, but Gore has to know that people will do it. Perhaps management feels that they offer a cheaper midweek ticket, and that justifies them providing less of the mountain to midweek skiers. Sorry to say, for most people that logic just doesn't fly. First, Gore isn't the only mountain that offers a cheaper midweek ticket. Sure, while I'd expect less lifts to turn midweek, that usually means operating fewer lifts that provide access to the same terrain.....not shutting down lifts that close off parts of the mountain. Secondly, from an economic standpoint, for skiers whose days are limited, saving $9 on a day ticket is not going to outweigh getting a full mountain experience, and those people will take their midweek dollars elsewhere. In the end it's all about operational savings versus lost revenue.......and apparently Gore figures midweek that they save more in operational costs (fuel, lift attendants) than the revenue they lose (skiers going elsewhere because the whole mountain isn't open). I wonder how fully they have vetted those numbers, and if they have considered the implications their decisions might have outside of midweek operations....afterall, it isn't just daytrippers who are affected by the midweek operational mo.

Just my $.02, FWIW. Sorry to hear they are having a problem with High Peaks. I hope they can get it fixed so at least weekend skiers have the access to that terrain they deserve for their $70.

12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I've been raving mad all week to any of my friends who would listen about the chair not turning. That area is my favorite - I love the chair, the people the ski that area, the "local" feel of it. After all the snow I was sure it would be turning and I was furious when it wasn't all week. That chair is vital to having a really good day and being able to get away from the crowds or finding more of a reason to stay up top for more than a run or three on Chati/Hawkeye area. God damn I hope they get it working.

12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
P.S. SKIdds said it wonderfully. I have six weeks off from school and I will probably only ski 4 weekend days total - all I do is ski midweek. Closing a lift because you can ride another one to access the same terrain is one thing, but closing a lift (or as he said, getting to it takes two or three lifts, granted a vital one is open too) and totally shutting down a section of the mountain is just bad news.

MidnightCarving
12-23-2008, 03:58 PM
skidds you're reading my mind, and tmorry you're right, its more than just the terrain. i feel like the people you meet on the darkside are the skiers who are most knowledgeable in the sport and of course the mountain.

megatron
12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.postimage.org/aV16DSkS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV16DSkS)

C

Snowballs
12-23-2008, 05:52 PM
but they did raise prices again this year..

also, the number of Gore's season passes sold this year is waaaaaaaaaay up.

hope it just down and will so be repaired.

jimmer
12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
heres a little more gas,so when sagamore gets scrapped and they close it that will leave only 1 trail over there,allthough i dont mind it ,im hearing alot of negative vibes about it.so 1 trail vs the dozen or more that could be skied if the north was open,dosnt make much sense,btw they blew on lies for at least 3 days,but they couldnt open it,cause it was solid ice,this when temps were perfect for blowing,well they blew it allrite.and i guess were really luky we got the snows,or the hill would be a hurtin.

megatron
12-24-2008, 07:36 AM
heres a little more gas,so when sagamore gets scrapped and they close it that will leave only 1 trail over there,allthough i dont mind it ,im hearing alot of negative vibes about it.so 1 trail vs the dozen or more that could be skied if the north was open,dosnt make much sense,btw they blew on lies for at least 3 days,but they couldnt open it,cause it was solid ice,this when temps were perfect for blowing,well they blew it allrite.and i guess were really luky we got the snows,or the hill would be a hurtin.

The head of snowmaking is on vacation! I am totally serious! Boy, it sure is good to work for a union :evil:

And in regards to the season passes, the are up not quite 5%. I am not sure if that qualifies as waaaaaaaaaaaaay up.

C

http://www.postimage.org/aV18ZjdS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV18ZjdS)

Cliff
12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Seems I remember posting something awhile ago about chairs closing during the week and was met with considerable critisism. If this is true, it really hurts! Just gets worse and worse! My last year definitely!

Snowballs
12-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Megs wrote...
And in regards to the season passes, the are up not quite 5%. I am not sure if that qualifies as waaaaaaaaaaaaay up.

C

don't know. i was told that they were similar to the other areas here that reported an increase of 25-30% in season pass sales to the albany news stations. people are skippin the out west trips and stayin home.

Snowballs at 20 paces?

twinplanx
12-25-2008, 02:23 PM
There website says "ALL lifts plan to open tomorrow" Hope they come through.

megatron
12-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Snowballs wrote "i was told that they were similar to the other areas here that reported an increase of 25-30% in season pass sales to the albany news stations".

Well as I said Gore passes are not up more than 5%. Other area maybe doing better. Just not Gore.
I would suggest to all of you out there to check the info you are posting so as to not look like an uninformed individual :roll:

C

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1bxzr9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1bxzr9)

twinplanx
12-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Speaking of the uninformed...What is the story w/ the High Peaks/Summit chair? Did it break or has it become a victim to the economy, and simply not staffed during the week.

(this uniformed individual will now take a look at there website) :?:

Well there site says it spinning today(holiday). With the chair dormant during the mid-week the amount of traffic over there(High Peaks) is reduced. A bummer for sure but that much sweeter for those who put in the extra effort.

RIGHT?

MidnightCarving
12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
lol twinplanx... i guess you have a point... but that is pretty bad hike out of there... with the north chair spinning its true, and held true last saturday when i was probably the 3rd person down the dark side lift line at 11am, plenty of fresh to be had... so i see your point, but my argument is that during the week they arent allowing access to a large portion of the mountain by closing that and the north chair.

ideally we'd have both turning all the time... i'd settle for just the summit running... but AT LEAST have just the north running, so we can do some runs over there....

if they had only the north running, then they would at least be able to argue that the whole mountain is open, its just a pain in the ass to do multiple runs on dark side.

twinplanx
12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
lol twinplanx... i guess you have a point... but that is pretty bad hike out of there... with the north chair spinning its true, and held true last saturday when i was probably the 3rd person down the dark side lift line at 11am, plenty of fresh to be had... so i see your point,

but my argument is that during the week they arent allowing access to a large portion of the mountain by closing that and the north chair.

ideally we'd have both turning all the time... i'd settle for just the summit running... but AT LEAST have just the north running, so we can do some runs over there....

if they had only the north running, then they would at least be able to argue that the whole mountain is open, its just a pain in the a** to do multiple runs on dark side.

Oh my bad, I hadn't realized both chairs were dormant.(North chair = StraightbrookQuad ?)

If this is the case I'd say ...BALLS!

jimmer
12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
well i knew i shouldnt have listened to the janitor,he was dead wrong,the lift was spinning today,and the dark side had the best skiing on the hill,the woods were a little tough at first but once they got skied they got better and better,only skied 1 trail up top,lies,it was ok though a little firm.good day it was.

MidnightCarving
12-26-2008, 07:51 PM
well thank god thats over.... had me worried.

now lets convince them to keep it open during the week....

Denison
12-27-2008, 09:42 PM
We rode high peaks double chair yesterday and could hardly lower the restraint bar - it was stick because nobody lowered it since it was painted.

Could it be that they were painting it for a few days, or was it painted in summer?

twinplanx
12-31-2008, 09:11 AM
I've got my bags packed and will be out the door shortly. Heading up to Saratoga today, for Gore this weekend and maybe during the week to do some investigating on the chair issue for myself. I'll be the guy in the red(w/yellow & gray) Spyder jacket W/ K2 PE's & some vintage red Tecnica boots(they remind me of Voltron). The jacket was an employee perk and I got the boots really cheap. If anyone spots me, I'd like to take a run or two w/ ya. So just gimme a shout 8)

Snowballs
01-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Well as I said Gore passes are not up more than 5%. Other area maybe doing better. Just not Gore.
I would suggest to all of you out there to check the info you are posting so as to not look like an uninformed individual :roll:

C

WELL, since you put it that way..........

the other day, i picked up a copy of this season's " Gore Mountain and Lake George Region " newspaper. on page 5 it states " this year....Gore Mountain ticket sales are showing a 20 percent increase ". since this paper has been out a little while it's hard to imagine they're talkin day tickets. :wink:

megatron
01-03-2009, 09:00 AM

C

WELL, since you put it that way..........

the other day, i picked up a copy of this season's " Gore Mountain and Lake George Region " newspaper. on page 5 it states " this year....Gore Mountain ticket sales are showing a 20 percent increase ". since this paper has been out a little while it's hard to imagine they're talkin day tickets. :wink:

I do not know how to put it you any plainer than this... Gore season pass sales are not up over 5%. Period. End of story. Go skiing.

Harvey44
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
What's Happening: Look for snowmakers on Lower Darby, Hullaballoo, & Fairview!

Thanks auntie em.

mattchuck2
01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Ahhh, yes . . .

Harvey44
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Also if we get caught poaching those closed trails we can say...but but auntie em told us to LOOK for them!

Spongeworthy
01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Just got an e-mail from auntie em saying "look for the High Peaks Chair spinning, with new snow on Lower Darby & Hullaballoo, as well as guns setting up on The Rumor!"

jimmer
01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
yhey were blowing on darby and hullabaloo today,chair was not running,hopefully tomorrow.the skiing was pretty good,allthough i dont know about the trails,but they looked good.nice crowd for a friday.should be a good weekend.

Harvey44
01-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Looks like a lot is open tomorrow.

Killin me that I am not there.

Would love to hear about....OR SEE... some tree skiing!

Help me out here! :D

Snowballs
01-09-2009, 09:49 PM
the trails were hard and fast! i was catching good air where you normally wouldn't get air. i musta caught 6-7 ft ^ of it right before i flew by the slow sign on Foxlair. there was nobody there so don't get your long johns in a bunch.

parts of Echo were like concrete, but fast! (yea i went over for a couple runs)

Hullabaloo looked like it had LARGE amounts of snow on it.

the rest of the trials were F A S T !

jimmer
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
holy crap,it was spinning 2day,on a non holiday monday,2morrow too,ya think they finally got the message,i hope so.btw the skiing was very gooood.rumor was open from the goat path down,the headwall slid so they shut it down for awhile,friggen awsome.

MidnightCarving
01-12-2009, 06:25 PM
i sure hope they did, i haven't been going mid-week for that reason alone, i was getting bored with the same stuff... but i'll be there tomorrow in celebration!

mattchuck2
01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
holy crap,it was spinning 2day,on a non holiday monday,2morrow too,ya think they finally got the message,i hope so.btw the skiing was very gooood.rumor was open from the goat path down,the headwall slid so they shut it down for awhile,friggen awsome.

Damn, missed it by 2 days.

Still cool that it's open, though. Hopefully, they're still pounding it with snow.

Snowballs
01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
rumor was open from the goat path down,the headwall slid so they shut it down for awhile,friggen awsome.

also, Face had 3 slides the other day, as i'm sure you know. hope this isn't a pattern for the year. avies flourish when you got different layer types of snow. on the trails that slid, Gore and Face had the light, soft fluffies first and now the hard dense heavy man made on top and now both mtns slide within day of each other.

it's not like slides are a common occurrence at our mtns.

just an observation.

PATROL TAKE NOTE.

megatron
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
rumor was open from the goat path down,the headwall slid so they shut it down for awhile,friggen awsome.

also, Face had 3 slides the other day, as i'm sure you know. hope this isn't a pattern for the year. avies flourish when you got different layer types of snow. on the trails that slid, Gore and Face had the light, soft fluffies first and now the hard dense heavy man made on top and now both mtns slide within day of each other.

it's not like slides are a common occurrence at our mtns.

just an observation.

PATROL TAKE NOTE.

"Face" :roll: ....please

jimmer
01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
well its shut down again,blew some good snow over there, the trees were awsome,mite better shut her down,i swear i think they do it just to piss me off,last weekend the chair was crowded,way more people skiing there than burnt ridge.its not running 2morrow dont no about the weekend.

SnowSnake
01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Jimmer, I am sure they don't just do it to piss you guys off. I like to think of it as Gore being Gore, kind of like in Manny being Manny when he was with the Sox, you take the good with the bad and just hope that most days the good out weighs the bad.

megatron
01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Jimmer, I am sure they don't just do it to piss you guys off. I like to think of it as Gore being Gore, kind of like in Manny being Manny when he was with the Sox, you take the good with the bad and just hope that most days the good out weighs the bad.

We shipped Manny's a$$ out :twisted:

C

SKIdds
01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Another example of the seemingly inconsistent lift operations that make some skiers skip the place. Will the lifts I want to ski be open, or won't they? How do I know? Should I take a chance? Most people don't want to take their chances with their skiing.

Is there any way management could post some sort of schedule, or conditions under which the High Peaks, North Quad, Burnt Ridge, or other chairs will operate? If there were some set ground rules that were consistently applied then people could make a more informed decision on whether or not to spend their ski dollars at Gore. Oh, It's Tuesday of a non-holiday week, I know this, that or the other lift won't be up and running. It's midweek two days after a 6 inch storm, ok, I know this lift will be open. Midweek day with the temps in the single digits, this lift is closed. I'd imagine that management doesn't just wake up willy nilly and say, oh - I think I'll keep this lift closed today. They must have some general operating guidelines and decision making processes, why not share some of those so people can make better decisions and be less frustrated. If they can't do that, can they at least indicate on the website the night before which lifts will be running the following day (assuming they don't already do that).

TomCat
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I've made the suggestion of a schedule in the past for exactly the reasons you state. Also suggested alternate days with the North quad and summit chair so someone making a midweek trip could ski the whole mountain.

tom

Cliff
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Seems I mentioned this lift-closure-midweek thing early in the season and was sort of blown off.

Guys....they've been doing this for years and I, for one, think we're not getting what we paid for. Now, they are gonna charge for parking.

They don't give a s**t about us; only weekenders and holiday crowds. We are the ones paying the freight by giving them working capital early in July, but seems we're second class citizens. I never was a fan of the way things are run and disliked the area because of that fact. When there became a real disparity between ticket prices versus Vermont, I caved and bought Gore/WF passes. Now, there isn't a real difference in price, (most VT areas are cheaper if you factor in the parking thing), just the drive time.

Screw-it, I'll drive to someplace they want my hard-earned.

(done)

Jeff
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Is the Summit Chair down again? I have noticed on the website the past few days they have listed the North Quad as open and the Summit Chair as closed. Is that just a different mid-week strategy, or is there a mechanical issue with the double?

Snowballs
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Is the Summit Chair down again? I have noticed on the website the past few days they have listed the North Quad as open and the Summit Chair as closed. Is that just a different mid-week strategy, or is there a mechanical issue with the double?

my guess would be it's because there's very few people there. i was there yesterday and it was M-T. kinda like late March. i was surprised to see the north quad running. i have a feeling that's how it's gonna tend to be from here on out. sure there will be more over president's week but i think it will be slower in general. jmo

i made my first trip across hedges yesterday, just to check it out. they got some nerve callin that a trail. it's got a lay out like a pair of twin tip skis, high at both ends.

MidnightCarving
02-05-2009, 09:59 PM
tell the site planner that the ideal graph of a trail is a linear regression.

Parabolas are incorrect.