PDA

View Full Version : Skied Burnt Ridge - Not bad

St. Jerry
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
The lift is great. I had the whole thing to myself today.

The trail to get to it from the base is a P.I.T.A., but at least it keeps the crowds and snowboarders out.

The one trail open from the lift was a lot like twister, but less crowded. Maybe a little steeper in places.

Harvey44
12-31-2008, 05:25 PM
I was over there with ya Jer. CB and I.

I counted EIGHT skating strokes to make it. It's not that hard! There is an easy cut from Twister to Echo to help you get at Gully.

Skied Echo for the first time today...Twister with a "headwall" if you can call it that.

That thing took some blasting.

http://www.postimage.org/aV1E3QiA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1E3QiA)

Snowballs
12-31-2008, 05:41 PM
I had the whole thing to myself today.

not surprising. and on a holiday week!

mattchuck2
12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
I kinda like Echo . . . It's got a lot more pitch than Twister . . . It'd be a sick trail to race on, if they ever get that going. Plus at the top (next to the rocks) you can look down into Cirque Glades.

The hike over is definitely much easier when not pushing through 12 inches of pow. Still wouldn't want to do it on a Snowboard, though.

If we get a lot of snow this year, Sagamore will be good as a natural snow/bump trail. Plus, I love the Cirque Glades. Have yet to get into the "Burnt Ridge Glades" that i saw from the lift, but those have potential.

HudsonHiker
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I skied Echo for the first time Wednesday with you Harv and didn’t know it until I saw your picture that you posted. I was skiing along with you and stopping and looking in the same places checking out the new trail. I tried to stay out of your shots that’s how I remember you taking the picture of your friend. I was the guy with the orange jacket gawking at the new trail. I liked the whole thing except the trek back to the lift. The wind had pushed some really nice powder off the top flat windtunnel onto the left of the trail. I liked the quietness of it because of the difficulty getting to the lift. The lift was great nice and smooth, fast and comfortable (we especially liked the heated seats). The top section was kinda like the wind on the triple they cleared way to many of the trees that could have been a slight windbreak. We only took 2 runs we waited to long to venture over there. It’ll be a nice addition to the mountain. Hope to see your in person on the mountain sometime.

Harvey44
01-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry we didn't connect HH. Make sure to say hi if you see us again.

Today I made it over to BRQ without a single skate. As skiers will do, a minor cut across is forming from Twister to Echo. Today instead of politely skiing with my wife...I bombed the sucker and made it without working. The fact that I did the same on Cloud to the Saddle tells you something about the conditions.

I actually had fun on Echo... trying to score the loose granular on skiers left, while scoping out the Cirque as Matt suggested.

Snowballs
01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Heated Seats?!&. it's got heated seats? my kid calls it couch comfy.

ComeBackMudPuddles
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
is the "official" gore fan-boy view of burnt ridge "eh"?

for some a major development (new mountain, high speed quad, etc.), most people on this board seem to be unimpressed/disappointed....

is this an accurate summary of the posts?

i, for one, have not skied at gore yet this year.

Snowballs
01-04-2009, 07:50 PM
is the "official" gore fan-boy view of burnt ridge "eh"?

Well..............

i'm no Gore apologetic and yea you are right-Burnt Ridge is unimpressive/disappointing.

Sure hope they don't do anymore stupid projects. Burnt Ridge isn't gonna bring anymore skiers in and anymore Einstien ideas they execute will only waste money/raise costs and then the season passes will be $1200.00 - $1400.00.

'Course that would change the apologetics tone.

sure hope they're enjoying the High Peaks chair and North Quad not running. some trade off!

Harvey44
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Not sure if you guys are talking about me or not.

The other day someone called me "the guy who loves Gore." Guilty.

The Cirque is awesome, but as I said in Jimmer's poll I'd never trade terrain at 2000 feet for terrain at 3000.

Bring back the Dark Side.

When the romance wears off, they will come to their senses. I hope.

Maybe it's time for another grass roots revolution...to bring back the Dark Side.

ka2kci
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I dunno...two weeks ago in the powderfest, skiing Sagamore was the closest I've come to a Western feel that I've ever had in the East. 1,500 feet of vertical in two feet of powder with nobody else in sight on an open trial underneath the lift was something that I've never experienced before. Having a high speed lift to boot was the icing on the cake.

I skied over there today and had the place to my self. The rest of the mountain was pretty crowded and nobody seemed to find there way over there. I realize that it is a huge pain to get to, and that they really need snowmaking on Sagamore, and that they need to clean the glades out but I think that Gore in their own slow way will eventually do these things.

Matt

ka2kci
01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Another interesting fact about the conditions at Gore....apparently last week with the temperature inversion and the clouds stuck in the valley, the bottom of Sagamore has considerably more snow than the the top. The warm moist high wind of the inversion scoured and melted the top half of the trail while the bottom half remained relatively unscathed. Just an interesting thing that was pointed out to me by a local meteorologist who I was skiing with. Matt

Harvey44
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I dunno...two weeks ago in the powderfest, skiing Sagamore was the closest I've come to a Western feel that I've ever had in the East. 1,500 feet of vertical in two feet of powder with nobody else in sight on an open trial underneath the lift was something that I've never experienced before. Having a high speed lift to boot was the icing on the cake.

You may have seen me out there. I liked it too. (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/12/road-to-shambala-part-2.html)

TomCat
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Agreed; Echo is a nice trail and the lift is great. The hike on Cedars isn't that bad when conditions are fast. I think Cedars would be nicer if it were narrower like Wood In and Wood Out.

tom

Cliff
01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
FWIW, I skied the new area once, a few days after opening, and I liked Echo, (Sagamore was pretty beat, so I didn't ski it...looks nice though). The cut-thru from Twister is great if you get going to make most of the flats, (or should I say uphills). The big problem is going to be weekends when Twister is closed for racing and you have to go around the bottom to get to BR. I know I won't be going.
More poor planning! Just doesn't get better, does it?