PDA

View Full Version : Easier blue runs

tommy5402
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi all,

Headed up to gore for MLK weekend. Still a bit of a green skier and was interested in what were some of the easier blue trails to progess on.

mattchuck2
01-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Go to the Gondola, ski Ruby Run, and that puts you at the top of the list.

I'd start with Sunway all the way down (keep bearing right at every trail intersection). If that's too easy for you, then I'd try Upper Sunway to Quicksilver. Then I'd hit Showcase and Twister. Some people like Wild Air, too, but I'm not one of them (it's easy to find, though . . . it's right under the gondola).

Then I'd go exploring. For an intermediate, Headwaters is good up top, and Echo is good over on Burnt Ridge. If the North Chair is open, Tahawus, Sleeping Bear, and Pete Gay are all very easy intermediate trails with a lot of character.

That should be enough keep you busy for a day, maybe.

baitman5238
01-05-2009, 08:15 PM
i'd say Tahawus is the easiest blue to start on - then quicksilver. Also, hit Pete Gay on the north side for a nice green without the traffic of Sunway. I think Showcase and Wild Air can be tricky for an early blue skier because it's got a good number of legit Gore blue square pitches and they sometimes ice up in spots. Better to do Twister first - wider, less ice, but take the cutoff and escape the last pitch down to the gondo. Pine (Ice) Knot can be a harder way down than Uncas, but for best access to the top, take the Wood Ins to the double and ski upper cloud to headwaters to tannery for a great blue version of sunway. Then take the Topridge Triple to Ruby Run versus Foxlair.

tommy5402
01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys...

Skied sunway a bunch last year, so am familiar with that. Really wanted to hit more of the mountain this year, especially when I could handle cloud down from the top. Definitly will hit the north side this time as it was closed last year from the ice storm.

TomCat
01-06-2009, 07:56 AM
If the high peaks chair is open, try cloud to santonini (sp?) to wood lot. Nice run that doesn't get too much traffic.

tom

St. Jerry
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I would avoid Pine Knot on a weekend. Take Upper/lower Wood-In to the high peaks chair and ski Cloud.