PDA

View Full Version : Lookout Today

highpeaksdrifter
01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Did it unofficially open today? If anyone skied it please let us know.

DUST BLASTER
01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Was just watching chanel 5 news from Plattsburg they had interviews with several people including ADKSKIER they all said it was great. Can't wait to ski it on Saturday. We are getting pounded with snow up north hope Whiteface is getting the same.

oldskibum
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Well, it was not a bluebird day, but it was great anyway. About 8" - 10" at the top and maybe5" - 6" at the base, kind of heavy powder, like Adk Cement. Wilmington trail was very good, had been groomed last thing in the AM, so not a lot of powder on it, but good just the same. It is an interesting trail to say the least. Flat for about the first third, then you get some steep ptches, and short flats, then steeps again, on skiers left there is serious drop offs, maybe 70 - 80' straight down, with large rocks in there like rip-rap. They have some "A" nets up in places, but not enough, certainly not a good place to go! All in all, a geat day and a great addition to the mountain. Visibility was not good , so didn't have great views

highpeaksdrifter
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Was just watching chanel 5 news from Plattsburg they had interviews with several people including ADKSKIER they all said it was great. Can't wait to ski it on Saturday. We are getting pounded with snow up north hope Whiteface is getting the same.

Great news. Anyone have a snow total from this storm?

Snowballs
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
maybe you guys know this answer.

i've read some articles on Lookout mtn, it's past history and so on.

in one of them it seemed to imply that years ago there was a connecting trail from the top of the summit chair, across the top of the slides then over to the top area of the wilmington trail. is this the case or was it a poorly written article?

sure would be one cool trail w/FANTASTIC views and would seem to add ~ .75 mile to wilmington's 2.5 miles plus another .75 mile or so at the bottom for an almost 4 mile run! would be a landmark trail that even lower intermediates might cruise. (if they got the balls to ride that chair)

but not sure it ever existed........any answers?

oldskibum
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
maybe you guys know this answer.

i've read some articles on Lookout mtn, it's past history and so on.

in one of them it seemed to imply that years ago there was a connecting trail from the top of the summit chair, across the top of the slides then over to the top area of the wilmington trail. is this the case or was it a poorly written article?

sure would be one cool trail w/FANTASTIC views and would seem to add ~ .75 mile to wilmington's 2.5 miles plus another .75 mile or so at the bottom for an almost 4 mile run! would be a landmark trail that even lower intermediates might cruise. (if they got the balls to ride that chair)

but not sure it ever existed........any answers? I don't know of any trail like you described, but there used to be trails on the back side, I think, called Marble Mt. The Wilmington trail is not a lower intermediate trail, it is a full Blue. You might even call it "dark blue" or maybe as I heard it referred to today, a "blue diamond".

highpeaksdrifter
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Offical opening has been moved to tomorrow at 11:00 due to high winds.

snowman
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/504359.html?nav=5008

highpeaksdrifter
01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/504359.html?nav=5008

Thanks for putting that link up. Good read.