PDA

View Full Version : Gold Parking

adkskier
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Sign spotted at Gore in preparation for installation: "Gold Parking - $10- Pay on Exit". I didn't get any more information, but predict the launch of "Gold Parking" soon! Write to mike@goremountain.com and emily@goremountain.com. Ask them to show some common sense and make an advance announcement about the parking plan on the Gore website. It's very difficult to believe that even Gore would close off such a large parking lot. It would be the largest paid parking lot at a northeast ski area. Look at the small parking lot at Whiteface as an example of the right way to do this.

DJG21
01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
I was informed that "Gold Parking" is to start next week-end (1/17/09). the entire upper lot is to be cordoned off.

Harvey44
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Be heard:

Mike Pratt is the Mountain Manager.

His contact info is 251-2411, ext. 1100 and mike@goremountain.com

DJG21
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
It won't matter.

My plan is that I will not pay to park, and as I have a pass, I will continue to ski.

I will not, however, spend one additional cent at Gore, whether at the lodge, or in the bar, or in the shop. I will continue to use the shuttle bus, and my tip to the operators will be "stop charging for parking." I feel bad for them.

Snowballs
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
right. what a load of crap! the whole upper lot? if it sticks i hope everyone avoids it and parks down below.

is that crazy shuttle lady still driving? we'll get her to "storm the castle". i know she's fond of taking car mirrors off of wayward parked cars w/the shuttles' ski rack. then we'll bombard Pratt's office with.........what else..........SNOWBALLS !!!

i'm calling. then we're snowballing. :wink:

Harvey44
01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Charge on Exit?...How late is Tannery open? Will they have someone stay outside until the bar closes?

Does that mean I can leave my car there for a week for $10?

We can all drive, park close, leave our cars and carpool.

This makes me so damn cranky.

mattchuck2
01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Charge on Exit?...How late is Tannery open? Will they have someone stay outside until the bar closes?

Haha, that's a good point . . .

Maybe they won't care after about 5:00, because they'll just assume that everybody left probably spent more than $10 in the bar.

Hell, with the amount of time I spend in the tannery, I'll never see the collectors!

Harvey44
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
And I don't mind paying $10 bucks for a beer and a merlot. At least it's my choice.

How about this...if you can prove you are drunk then you don't have to pay. Reverse breathalyzer.

EDIT: Ted Blazer sent me a note....Mike is out this week (??)...here's another option:

blazer@orda.org

SIAWOL
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
From my email to Mike:

File this one with the rest of the complaints about "Gold Parking".

Gore is a great mountain, and no question one of things that our family enjoys about it is it's unpretentiousness. It has always had a very comfortable, low-key, and "for the people" feel about it. Charging for parking is just inexcusable. I don't mind the ticket prices so much as the nickel and diming for the other stuff.

Gore Mountain was voted in the "Top 10 for Value" by Ski Magazine in 2006. Paid parking and $71 lift tickets? Guess that distinction isn't coming back...

My daughter and I may still ski at Gore, but we're not paying for parking and we'll continue to brown bag our lunch. And every time we have to park "down below" and schlep all of our stuff via the shuttle even though we get there at 8am to beat the crowds and get a good spot, you can bet all of the shuttle passengers will hear about it.

Spongeworthy
01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I was informed that "Gold Parking" is to start next week-end (1/17/09). the entire upper lot is to be cordoned off.It's only supposed to be 100 spaces near the Northwoods Lodge.

Cliff
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi all;
I just got off the phone with "someone" at Gore. I was told that the final decision has not been made yet as th whether it's going to be the whole upper lot or part. They said to keep up with the website for further updates as the will officially announce.
Peace, (and keep your fingers crossed!)
C

DJG21
01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi all;
I just got off the phone with "someone" at Gore. I was told that the final decision has not been made yet as th whether it's going to be the whole upper lot or part. They said to keep up with the website for further updates as the will officially announce.
Peace, (and keep your fingers crossed!)
C

If no one uses the "Gold" lot, it won't last very long!

The best approach to garner the response from Gore you want is to discipline the place by not opening up your wallets/pocketbooks. Don't spend there! Instead of the Tannery, go somewhere else for apres (or BYOB and have a "picnic" in the lodge at the end of the day). Stop in Northcreek or Warrensburg and purchase food and beverages from one of the local businesses.

Don't rent equipment or have your skis tuned at the mountain. There are local shop to patronize instead. Don't tip the shuttle drivers. I know this sounds harsh, and I feel for the drivers (who I do tip) but if they cannot earn tips, Gore will have to pay them more.

My fear is that Gore next will start charging for the parking shuttle. If and when this happens, I am gone and never going back!

jimmer
01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I was informed that "Gold Parking" is to start next week-end (1/17/09). the entire upper lot is to be cordoned off.It's only supposed to be 100 spaces near the Northwoods Lodge. yea i heard 200,but its not the whole lot.

Spongeworthy
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I was informed that "Gold Parking" is to start next week-end (1/17/09). the entire upper lot is to be cordoned off.It's only supposed to be 100 spaces near the Northwoods Lodge. yea i heard 200,but its not the whole lot.I heard 100 -- max -- from Bean Dip. I think he'd know.

It's NOT the whole upper lot!

NPN
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll give ya' some GOLD PARKING the next time I'm down there ( I think it's technically considered YELLOW, but it depends on what I've been drinking )!!!

Snowballs
01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I'll give ya' some Gold parking the next time I'm down there ( I think it's technically considered YELLOW, but it depends on what I've been drinking )!!!

LOL!!!^^^

Harvey44
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm hoping the Gold isn't a set up to charge for all parking...Silver, Bronze.

skimore
01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I ain't giving them one cent.....going self powered elsewhere

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3189740096_64d449d0be.jpg

Harvey44
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Harvey,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns regarding parking at Gore Mountain- I am also in receipt of your comment to Ted Blazer. Rest assured, you can park FREE any day of the season at Gore. We have added more parking, more shuttle buses, and we are confident that your parking experience has been much improved this season over last.

We are exploring premier paid parking, which is commonplace at many ski areas and attractions. How many spots that may be reserved for that option has yet to be seen, however when we start, it will be with just a portion of the top lot.

There will be information on our website in advance of initiating any paid parking opportunities. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or comments.

Emily Stanton
Gore Mountain Marketing Manager
(518) 251-2411, X1121
emily@goremountain.com

adkskier
01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
So let's start a tally of other northeastern ski areas with paid parking lots: Whiteface, Stratton (in the garage?), anyplace else?

Snowballs
01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
So let's start a tally of other northeastern ski areas with paid parking lots: Whiteface, Stratton (in the garage?), anyplace else?

EXCELLENT IDEA !

or the ones that don't charge to park. West mtn doesn't charge.

anybody wanna start the threads ?

Harvey44
01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Emily's note is very carefully worded. "When we start" there will still be "some" free parking in the upper lot.

As usual the devil is in the details. I'll try to stay open minded, but it does feel like the strategy is to float the concept...let it creep out... get us used to it...and then expand it as far as they can. I hope I am wrong.

If there is a reasonable percentage of free parking up top, I'm ok with it.

Contrary to what some may think I am a capitalist. People should charge whatever they want for anything they own.

(I won't get into the issue of who "owns" Gore mountain...I don't even know if the parking lot is on state land.)

In a free society I can also give my opinion. As you guys know, I don't think it's fair for passholders to pay the largest percentage of the new fee.

megatron
01-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Well as a taxpayer of NYS, and thus an owner, I feel it is bad business to spring this on season pass holders in the middle of the season when they already have your money. If they are going to do this, they should start it next season, with an announcement included in your season pass application.
It must be nice to not have to worry about what the customer will think, when the powers that be at gore will be paid whether gore does well or not. Hmmm... makes me think of what the joys of a private mt would be.
I believe what gore is pulling right now is known in sales circles as the old bait and switch :evil:

http://www.postimage.org/aV2HPtDi.gif (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2HPtDi)

Rant over.

C

Denison
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Season pass holders singled out as a victims here, and that's is wrong. I'd like to see how many pass holders will not buy a pass next year due to "Gold" parking charge reason only. I say close to none.

jimmer
01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
well when i was leaving 2day they were moving the pay shack to the bottom of the access road,my janitor friend said that they were going to charge everyone to pay,and pay double on weekends.im done with gore

Danzilla
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
WTF. I hope you are joking Jimmer.

I don't like the pay parking at all, but I can deal with charging people to be righ up front on the weekends. I don't think they should ever charge during the week unless its a holiday. Charging every car every day would be downright GREEDY in my opinion.

mattchuck2
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
well when i was leaving 2day they were moving the pay shack to the bottom of the access road,my janitor friend said that they were going to charge everyone to pay,and pay double on weekends.im done with gore

WOW.

Harvey44
01-15-2009, 08:43 PM
In both emails I received from Emily, she committed to significant advanced notice on the website before paid parking would happen. There has been nothing on the site that I can see.

Clearly one day is not actionable advance notice.

If she is true to her word, there should be no paid parking this weekend.

adkskier
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
The shack for the parking troll remains, unmoved, in the same spot that is has occupied for the last couple of months.

DJG21
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe Gore has decided to wait to start the"Gold Parking" experiment until a day on which the mercury is expected to rise into the positive numbers. I have to imagine that many will stay home tomorrow, and it would really suck to be the parking troll assigned to the task of collecting money for parking.

jimmer
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
just kidding about the shack,but no paid parking this weekend,they still gotta whire the shack and build some kinda fence,word i herd is there working on it,and knowing gore it mite be ready by winter 2010.btw the snowmakers had the last 3 days off,not a gun a blowin any where.
skiing was good,kinda chilly this morning,but not much wind.

Snowballs
01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
The shack for the parking troll remains, unmoved, in the same spot that is has occupied for the last couple of months.

the Parking Troll....................hehehe. good one.

right up there with " the Village People ". The Ski Bowl Village - People.