PDA

View Full Version : mlk weekend

bswann10
01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
so I'm coming up to whiteface this weekend from Cleveland, it'll be my first time up at wf, and was just wondering what to expect in terms of crowds, weather, terrain, and snow conditions on as compared to a colorado/utah/out west resort. also any information on some good pow/glade runs and how the terrain parks are set up would be sweet thanks

Ullr
01-13-2009, 07:38 AM
parks are great and in really good shape. The guys there do an excellent job maintaining them. The glades are all closed because there really isn't enough snow on the ground. Sharpen your edges because under that coating of snow is alot of ice. The crowds on MLK aren't ever that bad but it might be worst due to the Skier Cross event.

ssface
01-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Agree with Ullr.....the parks will be in great shape

In addition.... try to get to the mountain early to get the best parking and the best skiing. It will be quite cold and snow gets scraped off popular trails in the afternoon. It will be busy due to the holiday and World Cup event....finals on Monday. Dress appropriately and have a great time!!!

tjf67
01-13-2009, 09:14 AM
The glades are not open yet but they are getting closer. Another 10 inches or so and they are good to go. We are supposed to get some snow tongiht, not that much.

SKIdds
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
The glades are not open yet but they are getting closer. Another 10 inches or so and they are good to go. We are supposed to get some snow tongiht, not that much.
One can always hope that the line of heavy snow squalls that comes through with the front drops a little more in the mountains than the 2-4 inches generally expected today and tonight across the region.

When they start talking like this you just never know. Places could get next to nothing, or places could get locally dumped on.......

WE HAVE BECOME INCREASINGLY CONCERNED ABOUT POSSIBLE SNOW SQUALL
ACTIVITY ALONG THE ARCTIC BNDRY AS IT MAKES ITS APPROACH INTO WRN
ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY AROUND 23Z...THEN ACROSS THE BULK OF NRN NY
BETWEEN 00-03Z...AND ACROSS THE CHAMPLAIN VLY AND REMAINDER OF VT
BETWEEN 03-07Z. MODEL SOUNDINGS DEPICT WELL THE SHARP LOW-LEVEL
COLD ADVECTION AND SHALLOW DRY ADIABATIC LAPSE RATES AND CONVECTIVE
INSTABILITY THAT WILL ACCOMPANY THE FROPA. THE OPERATIONAL
NAM12...AND OUR LOCALLY RUN WRF-12KM AND WRF-4KM ALL INDICATE AXIS
OF ROUGHLY 100 J/KG SBCAPE ALONG ARCTIC BNDRY. COMBINED WITH
STRONG FRONTAL CONVERGENCE AND BRIEF DEEP-LAYER ASCENT CONDITIONS
LOOK FAVORABLE FOR LINE OF HEAVY SNOW SQUALL ACTIVITY ALONG THE
FRONT. THIS WILL IMPLY NEAR ZERO VSBY FOR A BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME
IN HEAVY SNOW. ALSO LOOKING AT WLY WIND SHIFT AND GUSTS 30-40 MPH
FOR 1-3 HRS AFTER ARCTIC FRONT PASSAGE THAT WILL CONTRIBUTE TO
BLOWING SNOW.

We're headed up Friday. Skiing Sat, Sun, Mon. Saturday looks like the coldest day, so the kiddos (and moms) will probably take that as their play-with-their-cousins day off from skiing.....so it's the dads day of free reign on the mountain. If anyone is going to be around and wants to meet up, I'm game.

tjf67
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
One can always hope that the line of heavy snow squalls that comes through with the front drops a little more in the mountains than the 2-4 inches generally expected today and tonight across the region.

When they start talking like this you just never know. Places could get next to nothing, or places could get locally dumped on.......

WE HAVE BECOME INCREASINGLY CONCERNED ABOUT POSSIBLE SNOW SQUALL
ACTIVITY ALONG THE ARCTIC BNDRY AS IT MAKES ITS APPROACH INTO WRN
ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY AROUND 23Z...THEN ACROSS THE BULK OF NRN NY
BETWEEN 00-03Z...AND ACROSS THE CHAMPLAIN VLY AND REMAINDER OF VT
BETWEEN 03-07Z. MODEL SOUNDINGS DEPICT WELL THE SHARP LOW-LEVEL
COLD ADVECTION AND SHALLOW DRY ADIABATIC LAPSE RATES AND CONVECTIVE
INSTABILITY THAT WILL ACCOMPANY THE FROPA. THE OPERATIONAL
NAM12...AND OUR LOCALLY RUN WRF-12KM AND WRF-4KM ALL INDICATE AXIS
OF ROUGHLY 100 J/KG SBCAPE ALONG ARCTIC BNDRY. COMBINED WITH
STRONG FRONTAL CONVERGENCE AND BRIEF DEEP-LAYER ASCENT CONDITIONS
LOOK FAVORABLE FOR LINE OF HEAVY SNOW SQUALL ACTIVITY ALONG THE
FRONT. THIS WILL IMPLY NEAR ZERO VSBY FOR A BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME
IN HEAVY SNOW. ALSO LOOKING AT WLY WIND SHIFT AND GUSTS 30-40 MPH
FOR 1-3 HRS AFTER ARCTIC FRONT PASSAGE THAT WILL CONTRIBUTE TO
BLOWING SNOW.

We're headed up Friday. Skiing Sat, Sun, Mon. Saturday looks like the coldest day, so the kiddos (and moms) will probably take that as their play-with-their-cousins day off from skiing.....so it's the dads day of free reign on the mountain. If anyone is going to be around and wants to meet up, I'm game.

I will be on the hill with a yellow jacket and a name tag that sais TIM on it. If you see me lets ski

SKIdds
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I'll keep my eye out.........

bswann10
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
yeah i'm for sure gonna get my edges sharpened, but do you guys think conditions will be real icy this weekend if theres no more snow for the rest of the week?

Snowballs
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
yeah i'm for sure gonna get my edges sharpened, but do you guys think conditions will be real icy this weekend if theres no more snow for the rest of the week?

well, i haven't been there for a week, so i'll let the everydayers speak to the current conditions. i don't know if conditions are ever " really icy " at Face anymore. " Iceface " seems outdated to me. maybe it's the better skis or such. it just doesn't bother me anymore. yes pow/packed pow is nicer. if your making a trip, i could see why people would wanna know. i just don't think Face is any different than the rest.

i know some wives, some kids etc, can tend to not like some ice though. " when in doubt - slide it out. " :wink:

anyway, come on up. you can check out the new Look out mtn. area and the free style events. i saw a boarder cross there once, it was cool. skier cross should be too.

NPN
01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
[quote=bswann10]yeah i'm for sure gonna get my edges sharpened, but do you guys think conditions will be real icy this weekend if theres no more snow for the rest of the week?

" Iceface " seems outdated to me. quote]

Ya' know, as much as I luv to cling to the "Iceface" rep, mainly because it tends to keep some of the Chowderheads away, you should get the fact that Whiteface has had grooming technology second to none for way over the last ten years.

That, coupled with insane snowmaking skills, insures that, regardless of adverse conditions ( short of 70 degree weather ), you can count on amazing turn around times to counter almost any Mother Nature bump.

What operations are able to pull off, facing ( no pun intended ) any type of extreme, and ever changing weather situation, deserves some type of award.

Yes, you should have a fresh tune, but that goes for any ski/ride adventure.

Have a great trip, and be prepared to enjoy a really special place.

Snowballs
01-13-2009, 08:31 PM
[quote=bswann10]yeah i'm for sure gonna get my edges sharpened, but do you guys think conditions will be real icy this weekend if theres no more snow for the rest of the week?

" Iceface " seems outdated to me. quote]

Ya' know, as much as I luv to cling to the "Iceface" rep, mainly because it tends to keep some of the Chowderheads away, you should get the fact that Whiteface has had grooming technology second to none for way over the last ten years.

hold on. what i said was it never gets really icy at Face anymore. aka.-THEY TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT ! the outdated part refered to the term, not the hill.

sooooooooooooooo....................... the gist of it is that the label iceface is unwarranted, outdated. SAVY ?