PDA

View Full Version : Mountains that Charge for Parking - an informal poll

adkskier
01-14-2009, 07:57 AM
In another thread we've seen a comment from Emily that indicates that "many" other ski areas charge for parking. What other ski areas in the northeast charge? Jump in with additions. To start I've seen pay parking at Whiteface and I think that Stratton may charge a premium to park in their parking garage. Let's see what number equals "many"!

megatron
01-14-2009, 08:06 AM
I guess when you're a small thinker, 2 is many :lol:

C

MidnightCarving
01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
at least at stratton i'd feel like i was getting something for my money, parking in a garage is a nice bonus if it's snowing out.

but no i can't think of any other places that charge, not even hunter, the king of jersey mountains.

highpeaksdrifter
01-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Tremblant

SKIdds
01-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Windham has a pay/valet service, and yes......it takes the closest spaces.

Danzilla
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Last time I was at the big K (about 4 years ago) they had valet parking right next to one of the lifts at the base. I think it was $20 bucks. We sprung for it one day when we got up late. We had 4 people in the car so it wasn't too bad to pay $5 and not have to walk a mile.

I know there are varying degrees of support for the expansion, but I for one can't wait for the day that I can get on a lift at the ski bowl and avoid dealing with the base area all together.

Harvey44
01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
To me the question is not do they charge...but how much space is included. As I recall the Whiteface pay lot is very small and very close. The other free lots are really close too. Less than 100 yards. To me, at WF it makes total sense.

Spongeworthy
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
To me the question is not do they charge...but how much space is included. Anyone know the capacity of the front lots?

Divide 100 by that number and you'll get the %age -- a very small %age -- of how much is included.

highpeaksdrifter
01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
To me the question is not do they charge...but how much space is included. As I recall the Whiteface pay lot is very small and very close. The other free lots are really close too. Less than 100 yards. To me, at WF it makes total sense.

The little lot that is now "Perferred Parking" was not open to the public anyway. It was for NYSEF.

megatron
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM

The little lot that is now "Perferred Parking" was not open to the public anyway. It was for NYSEF.

I used to park there all the time. And I am NYSEF free :D

C

Snowballs
01-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Excellent point. So Face should not be counted in the mtns that charge poll ! that lot was not open/available anyway.

i agree w/harv in that Gore seems to be fishing/recanting on the number of spots in question. one Gore person told Cliff (see Gold parking thread) that the whole upper lot was in consideration, so to speak.

i'm kinda spoiled. i like parking close enough that Pratt could open his office window and spit on my parking spot if he so desired. beware. i'm packin! - (snowballs :wink: )

but if this sticks, i'll ride the shuttle(is the crazy lady still driving?) but will not drop one dime at Gore.

adkskier
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I parked in the NYSEF lot at Whiteface all the time, but their approach is intelligent. It's a small lot, maybe 100 cars, and it's well defined without needing ropes and posts. Note that they also employ lot attendants who smile and help the skiers park in a manner to maximize the use of the lot while allowing space to back one's car out. They run the place like a desirable resort that cares about the customer.

SKIdds
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I had parked in that "NYSEF" lot several times myself before it was converted to a premier pay lot.

DJG21
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
To me the question is not do they charge...but how much space is included. Anyone know the capacity of the front lots?

Divide 100 by that number and you'll get the %age -- a very small %age -- of how much is included.

You are presuming that only 100 spaces in the front lot will reserved for pay parking. Given the layout of the top lot, I truly doubt that 100 spaces can be easily cordoned off from the remainder of the spaces. Moreover, I was told by a member of Gore's parking staff that management was considering designating the entire top lot as paid parking. I really don't think that Gore's management knows what it is doing with the lot yet.

Frankly, I have no objection to some small portion of the top lot being set aside -- perhaps it will encourage car pooling.

Spongeworthy
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
You are presuming that only 100 spaces in the front lot will reserved for pay parking. Given the layout of the top lot, I truly doubt that 100 spaces can be easily cordoned off from the remainder of the spaces. Moreover, I was told by a member of Gore's parking staff that management was considering designating the entire top lot as paid parking.I'm not presuming anything. The head of the ski patrol volunteered the information that paid parking will start this weekend, that there will be a sign this weekend that says "New Traffic Pattern Ahead," and that it will involve no more than 100 spaces.

I think that the head of the ski patrol has more reliable information than a member of Gore's parking staff or "someone" who answered the phone at Gore.

mattchuck2
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I think that the head of the ski patrol has more reliable information than a member of Gore's parking staff or "someone" who answered the phone at Gore.

Bean Dip rules . . .

Spongeworthy
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

HAHAHAHA . . .

Never before have I heard Bean Dip referred to as having "reliable information" . . .

Perhaps by "reliable information" you mean "screws loose" ;-)

(Of course, I say this in all good fun)Uhh . . . no comment :roll:

But he does know what's going on at his mountain.

jimmer
01-14-2009, 10:52 PM

HAHAHAHA . . .

Never before have I heard Bean Dip referred to as having "reliable information" . . .

But he does know what's going on at his mountain. so you talked to bean dip,and you still think he knows whats going no,that is kinda funny

megatron
01-15-2009, 07:48 AM

HAHAHAHA . . .

But he does know what's going on at his mountain. so you talked to bean dip,and you still think he knows whats going no,that is kinda funny

Ha Ha.. Bean Dip only has his job because of his family's connections, and the fact that if Gore canned him he would be eligible for social security as well as unemployment, and AARP to boot :D

C

adkskier
01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
"Knows his mountain"? He is a figure head and works for the brothers who run the patrol! On the other hand, he is the guy who gets the job of putting up signs at the mountain....sort of like the higher elevation janitor.

Spongeworthy
01-15-2009, 02:17 PM
"Knows his mountain"? He is a figure head and works for the brothers who run the patrol! On the other hand, he is the guy who gets the job of putting up signs at the mountain....sort of like the higher elevation janitor.You guys are brutal :shock:

megatron
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
"Knows his mountain"? He is a figure head and works for the brothers who run the patrol! On the other hand, he is the guy who gets the job of putting up signs at the mountain....sort of like the higher elevation janitor.You guys are brutal :shock:

Nothin' better to do when it's this friggin' cold out :D

C

Harvey44
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Before recently I didn't know Marc's nickname was Bean Dip.

The only interaction I ever had with him was on the chair lift. I like a Skipat who will share a lift with a civilian.

Everytime I've ridden with him he's given a tip on what to hit. Some of his first tracks or early day tips have been gold.

He's always shared that stuff without me having to push him.

The last time I skied (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/01/gore-mtn-ny-1309.html) , he held up a rope across lower hawkeye....and said "passholders first." It was killer.

I like the guy.

adkskier
01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
So back on topic- we've heard that Whiteface, Stratton, Killington and Windham are the "many" ski areas in the northeast that offer some paid parking. Oh yeah Tremblant too, but they use funny money up there. :roll:

Spongeworthy
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Before recently I didn't know Marc's nickname was Bean Dip.

The only interaction I ever had with him was on the chair lift. I like a Skipat who will share a lift with a civilian.

Everytime I've ridden with him he's given a tip of what to hit. Some of his first tracks or early day tips have been gold.

He's always shared that stuff without me having to push him.

The last time I skied (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/01/gore-mtn-ny-1309.html) , he held up a rope across lower hawkeye....and said "passholders first." It was killer.

I like the guy.Mark's a good friend and a great guy. Gore is lucky to have him no matter what anyone else on this board thinks.

mattchuck2
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Mark's a good friend and a great guy. Gore is lucky to have him no matter what anyone else on this board thinks.

Nobody said he wasn't a good guy.

I just think he's friggin' crazy . . . (in a good way?)

;-)

Spongeworthy
01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Mark's a good friend and a great guy. Gore is lucky to have him no matter what anyone else on this board thinks.

Nobody said he wasn't a good guy.

I just think he's friggin' crazy . . . (in a good way?)

;-)Oh I'll agree with that 100% :lol:

SIAWOL
01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Mtn Creek in NJ charges to park on the more favorable side of the road--the one that doesn't involve a 1/2 mile uphill schlep.

But that's in Joizy. And it's Mtn Creek.