PDA

View Full Version : World Cup at the Face

Son of Drifter
01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
A banned member of SkiAdk asked me to post this. Relax there's nothing anti-greg in the below post. Just some good info on the mountain we all love.

post up on SkiADK will yea man.. Skiing was really good on Mon and Tuesday! Upper Sky was effortless!

>>> "U.S. Ski Team News" <noreply> 1/14/2009 12:37 PM >>>
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Tom Kelly, tkelly@ussa.org

Nature Valley Cup Heads to Placid

LAKE PLACID, NY (Jan. 14) - International aerial and ski cross stars, including two-time aerials Olympian Jeret 'Speedy' Peterson (Boise, ID) and X Games ski cross champ Daron Rahlves (Sugar Bowl, CA), will be on hand to compete Jan. 18-19 at the 2009 Nature Valley Freestyle Cup in Lake Placid, NY. The event will be broadcast on NBC and Versus.

"The Nature Valley Cup is going to be full of amazing athletic feats and a good time for fans," said U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association Vice President of Events Calum Clark. The Lake Placid region has an incredibly rich Olympic tradition and lots of history with freestyle skiing. It's fitting to bring the newest Olympic discipline, ski cross, to Whiteface. And the best aerialists from around the world, many of which train in the summer in Placid."

The challenge gets underway on Sunday, Jan. 18 with high-flying aerials under the lights at the Olympic Jumping Complex. U.S Aerials Head Coach Matt Christensen said that competing in Lake Placid is the perfect way to start the year.

"We're really psyched to go there. For a lot of the athletes, it's almost like a second home," Christensen said. "We're excited to show up, we're prepared to do well and it's a great way to kick off the new year."

U.S. Ski Team stars to watch including 2006 Olympians Emily Cook (Belmont, MA) who added her first World Cup win to her resume last season, Ryan St. Onge (Winter Park, CO), who lived and trained in Lake Placid all summer and Peterson, who looks to unleash his 'Hurricane', the hardest aerials maneuver in freestyle aerials – five twists and four flips. These veterans are backed up by several up and comers on the Team and will be challenging the international competition.

On Monday, Jan. 19 ski cross' finest take to the newly built course at Whiteface Mountain, outside Lake Placid, NY. Given Whiteface's successful track record with the snowboardcross World Cups, the mountain will have one of the best tracks a cross athlete could hope to race on. It is only the second time for a ski cross World Cup to take place in the United States and first time on the east coast.

"It's going to be cool to have a ski cross in the United States. Lake Placid has always put on good alpine races, which I participated in back in the day, and they can put on a good event," said Daron Rahlves (Sugar Bowl, CA). "It's will be the best of the best. There's nothing scheduled on top of it and the X Games are the next week, so everyone will be there and it's going to be tough."

In addition, two-time X Games gold medalist Casey Puckett (Aspen, CO) is curious to see what a Lake Placid ski cross will be like.

"I am excited for Lake Placid to see what kind of course they make up there on the east coast," Puckett said. "I haven't done a lot of ski cross courses out there … they will put a good course together."

One of the last times Rahlves and Puckett competed in Lake Placid was at the inaugural Winter Goodwill Games in 2000 in alpine events.

The Nature Valley Freestyle Cup schedule:

Sunday, Jan. 18
9:45 a.m. – Ski cross qualifications, Whiteface Mountain
1:30 p.m. – Women's aerials qualifications, Olympic Jumping Complex
5:15 p.m. – Men's aerials qualifications, Olympic Jumping Complex
7:40 p.m. – Aerials finals under the lights, Olympic Jumping Complex

Monday. Jan. 19
11 a.m. - Ski cross finals, Whiteface Mountain

NBC will air the Nature Valley Freestyle Cup ski cross competition Sunday, Jan. 25 at 1:30 p.m. ET. Versus will air the Nature Valley Freestyle Challenge aerials competition that same day at 2:00 p.m. ET as well as the Nature Valley Freestyle Cup ski cross show on Saturday, Jan. 31 at 3:00 p.m. ET. UniversalSports.com and TV will also carry coverage.

Snowballs
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
thanks Son of.

i saw the Boardercross few years back and can tell everyone it was wicked cool. you could cross the course in between competitors and thus get to watch the track from different vantage points. the banked turns looked like a latte' of fun. missed the super pipe events, though. did you see that thing ? the 35' high walls looked like the Grand Canyon. Crazy!

the airels at the jumping complex this weekend should no doubt Rock ! if you get a chance to see them, go.

the World Championship Bobsled/Skeleton events at the end Febuary will be awesome. me and mine will take a 1/2 ski day off to be trackside for that. tickets for this are cheap.

Face/Placid has so much to offer, things you can't get anywhere else, it is truly unique.

Come. Experience it.

NPN
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks C, most appreciated.

NPN
01-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Gotta' say that that was another great High Peaks experience.

Would've been nice to see Rahlves/Jake/Puckett on the podium, but you can't have everything.

Never thought they could make L. Valley look like that.

Aerial event once again off the chart.

All this, and free socks.

Very nice!

01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I got this from one of the guys at MSA. This is just a small taste of aerial jumping for those who missed it.

http://www.facebook.com/v/63976110968[/url]

highpeaksdrifter
01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I got lucky with the finals of the skier cross. I was on the Facelift with my daughter and here boy friend when that race was going. Birds eye view. :D