PDA

View Full Version : Thefts

Snowballs
01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Capital News 9 ran a story about 10 different equipment thefts recently at Labrador, Greek Peak and Song. Some Victims said " i was only inside for a few minutes ", "i shoulda had a lock" etc. Authorities say thieves target high end performance gear and it doesn't matter if equipement is left inside or outside. State police apparently do weekly checks/notices/e-mails to area shops to see if the stolen goods show up so they suggest keepin your serial #'s, make, and size avaliable.

also, older or crappy equipment goes untouched. shame, would atleast force an upgrade.

Other than the one reported earlier by Rossi, does anybody know of incidents at Gore/Face ?

Lock 'em up.

twinplanx
01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Seems Gore was left out of the story. Does that mean it's immune to this problem? What if some of that older/crappy equipment was taken from Saddlelodge? (one mans trash is another mans treasure) What are you gona do walk down WildAir/Twister? That would really suck.

Lbtchnlgs
01-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Seems Gore was left out of the story. Does that mean it's immune to this problem? What if some of that older/crappy equipment was taken from Saddlelodge? (one mans trash is another mans treasure) What are you gona do walk down WildAir/Twister? That would really suck.

I would say 99% of "thefts" from a mid station are merely mistakes. Who is going to jack a pair of sticks and ski down the mtn w them over their shoulder?

rossi
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
other than my dads, ik of a guy who i work with, his friends skis were stolen a week before my dads were. the people who steal the skis prolly jsut watch you set them down and grab them once you went in. with my dad he set them down went in to get his bag and came back out. prolly 30secs and they were gone. best thing would be to just have someone set the skis down and another person kinda sit in the crowd and watch. haha, but for as much as people steal skis it would be a pretty rare chance of that working.

MidnightCarving
01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
hahaha, like a gore mountain sting operation... i think it'd be kind of fun, and make a point that someone is always watching.

fujative.
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
a girl on my ski team had her GS skis stolen from a race at whiteface a few weeks ago.
2ish weeks ago i had my poles stolen at west. 2 mins of looking later, i found them on the other rack with some skis that werent mine. i shoulda waited for the person to come out and grab them and call them out, but my run was soon

another thing: sometimes its a mistake. people can be pretty retarded/grab the wrong gear sometimes. my brother let my dads girlfriends son use his skis for a day, and he came back with a different pair. we went up the next day and his skis were exactly where the guy borrowing them left them, and we brought the other skis into the lost and found.

twinplanx
01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

I would say 99% of "thefts" from a mid station are merely mistakes. Who is going to jack a pair of sticks and ski down the mtn w them over their shoulder?

No doubt, but when I had the demo bindings on my PE's I made sure to lock 'em up. Never really comfortable leaving my skis unattended or unlocked for any period of time anywhere. I have put some new bindings on my skis and that may prevent some "mistakes" but the thieves are out there.

fujative.
01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
another snowboard stolen today.
it was a beeatttt up board too. idiots.

mattchuck2
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
I try to just cruise around on Crappy equipment, then I usually put my skis next to really nice pairs of skis so a thief will take those instead of mine.

Lbtchnlgs
02-08-2009, 01:08 AM
VENT:

I went out to grab shoes out of my car this morning... deck, subs, amps all ripped out

(no worries im in san diego)

Also was talking to my kid brother tonight he said he was at west on Monday and got his ipod along with his friends $200 and some other stuff i didn't pay attn. to.

but im pretty fed up with theives. I understand everyone's trying to make a buck crackalackin' in OB but seriously? You stole my subbs, and dvd/cd player with "Truckin' to Buffalo '89"

bad vibes

Snowballs
02-08-2009, 09:02 AM
^^^that sucks. yep it really blows to lose your stuff.

i even lock up at the saddle lodge.are you guys saying that thefts do occur from the saddle lodge? if so, hard to imagine most would be mistakes cuz the likelyhood of boot size and binding matching up ( or same size skis) would be low. rather than skiing down with skis over the shoulder, they could just chuck them in the woods to be retrieved later. mid week it's not hard to imagine rippin the whole way down twister or under the north quad without encountering others.

i chose my ski purchases w/care. like most people, i'm really fond of the pairs i have. so i always ask myself, if i come out and they're gone, do i have the coin to get new ones? can i even find another pair? won't i be Po'ed at myself for slackin?

i rarely go inside when at the hill. Amazon.com has a lock that has an extra long cable, most are too short.

Matt, as to your stategy. you might also try putting one ski here........the other over there.

rossi
02-08-2009, 09:34 AM
i dont do anything with my skis usually, sometimes i just bring them inside with me. but either way, the one thing i dont like about cable locks is last yr, someone locked their bag to the table, but they also locked my moms bag to the table. so she went to the dest and asked for a pair of sciccors, and they gave her wire cutters, no questions asked. so really, locks wont help out much if someone wants the skis bag enough. but im sure most of them just want an easy buck so getting wire cutters is to much work. haha

Snowballs
02-08-2009, 09:56 AM
right. most thefts are a crime of impulse, at the moment temptations. most thieves are also thinking " quick escape." locks do help, but aren't foolproof.

Gore prolly was comfortable giving cutters to " mom ", more than to youngers.

fujative.
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
if any of you are at west, lock 'em up. specifically snowboarders.... people lurk around there just to steal stuff. my friend got an $800 setup the other knight.

Snowballs
02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
if any of you are at west, lock 'em up. specifically snowboarders.... people lurk around there just to steal stuff. my friend got an $800 setup the other knight.

see, that's why i started this thread. i could just see some lurking and doing their shopping from the racks. i was curious as to local realities.

i went night skiing a few times at West back in the 01/02? season. they had a cop, in a cruiser, parked right on the snow by the racks. Ding Ding Ding :idea: ............i'll bet people are stealing stuff.

thanks for warning us all.