PDA

View Full Version : Bad Idea?

Spongeworthy
01-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Is it a bad idea to ski the off-the-map glades alone?

Lbtchnlgs
01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Well there is obvious risk involved. But you also don't have to give away your stash. If im in the woods alone I deff take more caution. I also make sure I have cell service. I guess i would suggest wearing a helmet. Bring matches/lighter (waterprroof).

ski w. you eyes closed

I do it all the time. But im a kid, and it'll never happen to me

DJG21
01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
It's dumb to ski any trees alone. Should something go wrong. you become a candidate for a Darwin Award!

fujative.
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
It's dumb to ski any trees alone. Should something go wrong. you become a candidate for a Darwin Award!
ehh not really. plenty of people go throgh there, including patrollers. if you were to het hurt, im sure someone would call in for help.

mattchuck2
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I think it's a bad idea to ski some of the off the map glades alone (especially some of the less well traveled ones).

But most of the glades at Gore are okay to ski alone, especially the ones right next to other trails (Chati Glades, Straightbrook Glades). If you get hurt, you can yell for help. If you can't yell for help, so many people go through there, then there's a pretty good chance you'll get found (provided you stay on the popular paths).

MidnightCarving
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah i ski the woods alone alot, not many of my friends are as into it as i am.... i do ski with a small pack with flashlight, lighter, camelback and usually a granola bar or two. Most of the woods at gore are within yelling distance of another trail though, and if you did get knocked unconcious theres generally someone passing through, even on the unmarked trails, including patrol.

The real key is to take your time and think about every turn when you're in there by yourself... you wont be holding anyone back, and theres nobody to impress in there anyway.

skimore
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM

That's a ridiculous statement. It's all about someone's comfort level with what they are doing.

Maybe you shouldn't stay home alone either. You may fall down and get hurt with no one there

I guess I shouldn't be fishing alone in case I fall in the lake/river

I guess I better not mountain bike without a bunch of people.

When skiing solo I just let someone know my plans of where I'll be, where the car is parked, travel route and what time I would be expected to be out of the woods.

There are other options also.....SPOT for one

SIAWOL
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Not necessarily a GREAT idea...Just one that carries with some additional risk that has to be managed.

For example, I carry a loud whistle, travel a lot slower than I would in a marked glade, and am constantly stopping to keep my bearings straight so I don't wander too far away from the boundaries. And I take a MUCH safer route than I would in a marked glade--avoiding unnecessary jumps/drops, try to follow tracks already made so I don't catch a log buried under powder, etc.

skimore
01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
try to follow tracks already made

why bother then

Powderqueen
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
FWIW, my friend broke her leg on Saturday in The Cirque. Thankfully we were with her and got her the help she needed and she was never alone. This was an "on the map" glade.

I skied it last year before the lift was in and my friend went off one of those cliffs accidentally. I thought I was going to have to carry him out.

I'd say it is always better to have someone with you. I sometimes ski glades alone and when I'm in there I realize it may not be the smartest thing to do and I ski very conservatively. I try not to do it that often. But when my buddies are all done for the day and I am still skiing, I may foray.

Spongeworthy
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I was thinking. With these great conditions, I'd hate to pass ALL of them up simply because I missed hooking up with my buddies (I'm not a good early riser). On the other hand, I don't want to take any stupid risks.

There are some I'd NEVER ski alone (don't know their names, if they even have names). I figure that the risk is small with the ones that are close enough to the "official" trails.

fujative.
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
FWIW, my friend broke her leg on Saturday in The Cirque. Thankfully we were with her and got her the help she needed and she was never alone. This was an "on the map" glade.

i saw that.. mustve been such a shitty place to get hurt.