PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going in March

J-Co
02-16-2006, 10:28 AM
I've been thinking about making a trip to Whiteface and skiing Mar. 18 - Mar. 20. Anyone that's skied there that time of year in the past have an idea what kind of conditions to expect? Is it risky that the base might take a big hit by then and there could be many trail closures? Or does Whiteface consistently have most trails open even into April? I live in Western NY and sking around here at that time of year is very questionable. But when I look at weather history, it looks like temperatures in March at Whiteface are comparable to February here. I could potentially go a week earlier but it would be more difficult because of work obligations. Going any sooner than that will probably be impossible.

Also, what can I expect as far as lift delays that time of year on the weekend? Do the crowds start to thin out a little or are they stronger than ever with people trying to get one last weekend in before spring? Sking Sat/Sun/Mon is most convenient for me, but I'd consider Sun/Mon or Sun/Mon/Tues if you guys think the weekend crowds will be hell (e.g. 10-20+ minute lift delays).

Anyway, thanks for any info you might have. Skied Killington before but this would be my first trip to Whiteface. Looking forward to it but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake with the timing.

highpeaksdrifter
02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Last season the skiing was great the whole month of March; hopefully we will get more of the same this year. You never have to worry about lift lines especially that time of the year. You'll have a great time.

freeheelwilly
02-16-2006, 10:41 AM
conditions could be mid-winter powder after a huge March dump or spring corn. Only thing you're not likely to see that time year is ice. Alot of the mountain will still be open and you won't stand in line for more than 3 minutes. Good choice.

Tsavolion
02-16-2006, 10:45 AM
March in my opinion is the best time to ski whiteface. like willy said, chance for big storm or it will be super spring skiing. that weekend is also snoe.down...should definitely come up then.

Snoe.down Kicks Off Adirondack Almost Springfest

Snoe.down, a winter weekend music festival featuring the New York band moe., will be held in Lake Placid's famed Olympic Center and Whiteface on March 17-19.

Snoe.down kicks off the week-long Adirondack Almost Springfest celebration, a great chance to enjoy winter Adirondack fun, including public bobsled and luge rocket rides, outdoor speed skating, gondola rides to the top of Whiteface, toboggan and dog sled rides on Mirror Lake, ice climbing, snowshoeing, and cross country and alpine skiing. During the concerts fans will even have the option of ice skating while listening to the show!

Early bird tickets for Snoe.down are on sale until February 21. Special reduced price lift ticket/festival packages are now available!

The Line-Up

The Everyone Orchestra, which includes Phish's Jon Fishman, Jazz Mandolin Project's Jamie Masefield, Steve Kimock, Peter Apfelbaum, and Samantha Stollenwerck, has been added to the festival’s line-up. Everyone Orchestra is known for their engagement of the audience in the jam. A long list of festival bands will perform throughout the weekend at other venues, including afternoons in the lodge at Whiteface.

For the complete line-up, visit www.snoedown.com.

J-Co
03-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Well, I need to make a decision tomorrow if I'm going to make the trip or not. Obviously disappointed about last week's rain and thaw. I'm considering a 2 day trip at this point, skiing Sun and Mon. Do you guys think that the groomers will have fixed things up by then to make the ~9-10 hour round trip and a day's vacation worthwhile? At this point actually my biggest concern isn't the ice and rough trails but I've checked the conditions the past two days and read that the summit quad was closed due to high winds. Does this happen a lot? What kind of winds (mph) result in it being closed? Looks like fairly high winds for this weekend (>20mph). Might I be getting shut out from half the mountain?!?!? Also, not a showstopper by any means but I assume there's very little chance of any tree skiing happening. :(

freeheelwilly
03-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Wow. Reading my post from a month ago, I couldn't have been more wrong. Conditions will be "firm" this weekend but the groomers will provide a good surface. I'd ski early though - I'll bet things really go down hill as the day goes on. (That bad pun was unintended)

Saturday wx: Mostly cloudy, chance of snow, west wind 8-11 mph with gusts to 25.

All the lifts should be running. But what do I know? I told you it'd be either corn or powder. WRONG! :oops:

(Pssss: If it's not too late - go to Stowe, Jay or Smuggs. Much more upsloping predicted for them over the next few days. Sometimes when that happens they just get pounded. 2 weeks ago they got 20-24". We didn't. :cry: )

Tsavolion
03-16-2006, 10:11 AM
This is going to be one of the busiest weekends of the year and i am afraid if half the mountain is closed, it will not be the best. Certainly cant predict whether or not the gondi or summit chair will be closed due to winds. doesnt happen too often, but it does happen. i believe 30 mph will shut the gondi and summit chair down and that could just be gusts, not sustained. but someone can correct me if i am wrong. whiteface is reporting packed powder today??? we got one good review and one bad review yesterday. if i were you, i would stop analyzing, sharpen my skis and head up for a fun weekend regardless of whether or not its the best conditions ever. it will hopefully be a nice sunny day, good music, nice mellow crowd--you just cant beat that.

tjf67
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
This is going to be one of the busiest weekends of the year and i am afraid if half the mountain is closed, it will not be the best. Certainly cant predict whether or not the gondi or summit chair will be closed due to winds. doesnt happen too often, but it does happen. i believe 30 mph will shut the gondi and summit chair down and that could just be gusts, not sustained. but someone can correct me if i am wrong. whiteface is reporting packed powder today??? we got one good review and one bad review yesterday. if i were you, i would stop analyzing, sharpen my skis and head up for a fun weekend regardless of whether or not its the best conditions ever. it will hopefully be a nice sunny day, good music, nice mellow crowd--you just cant beat that.

I agree and not to contradict willie but I think the conditions will get better as the day goes on. At least in the places that I like to go.
It be cool if people would finish the day on that big hit visible from the lodge. That thing like the stay puff marsh mellow man. ITS HUGE

freeheelwilly
03-16-2006, 04:20 PM

I agree and not to contradict willie but I think the conditions will get better as the day goes on. At least in the places that I like to go.
It be cool if people would finish the day on that big hit visible from the lodge. That thing like the stay puff marsh mellow man. ITS HUGE

I hope you're right. And contradicting me is usually the most direct route to the truth. :lol:

SKIdds
03-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Not that anyone around here would suggest it ;).....but anyone who might have thought of heading to Stowe this weekend would be arriving to the foot and a half (so far) of powder they have gotten in the past 36 hours (and counting). Yeah, yeah, WF got theirs in Feb when Stowe wasn't getting it, but we could sure use it now.

Faceplant
03-16-2006, 05:47 PM
The conditions are getting better and the weather looks to hold up. they've had a rough few days but they always seem to get the mt back in fine shape after a few days...especially for a big weekend. Check the website about the events this weekend...It's "Snoe Down" with Moe and a few other bands at the Mt and in town. If thats your thing, its a plus. If not, there's gonna be a crowd to contend with.

Phineas
03-17-2006, 11:16 AM
If U want good skiing then delay and ski Mon/Tues or Tues/Wed

Temps are warming then to upper 30s. We got wrecked last weekend w/ 50s and then brutal NW winds gusty to 40mph and single digits over night.

This weekend will be "firm" and crowded. if UR in2 fun though this would be a good weekend cause lots of good music and festivities..

better skiing next week.