PDA

View Full Version : Huckable Rocks, Cliffs, and Chutes on Gore/Bear mtns.

Snowballs
01-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Please post. A list of these terrain features would be informative and fun. Seems like alot of them are on the lower mtn.

St. Jerry mentioned a Gore-e Gully Cornice (?). Skiing with the family today, i noticed a good size ledge on skiers right at the top of lil Dipper that looks huckable and has several different heights to huck from.

it looks like there ought to be some chutes to the right of the high peaks chair where it crosses open pit. these would probally need saw work, as does the cliff right under HPC/Open Pit. better access and that would be a great drop. Watch out for that guide wire and notice how a growing tree has pushed that guide wire out of alingment.

Anybody successfully huck the Wall at the top of the Gondi line?

mattchuck2
01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
The problem with a lot of cliffs at Gore is that they have really really really flat landings. A couple of the Dark Side Glades cliffs, that one you mentioned under the Gondi, and a couple of the ones on High Pines fit this description (also, that one that people jump off on skier's left Ruby Run . . . Why? Do people really love jarring their spines?)

That said, there are the visible ones on Cirque Glades (I like the 12-15 footer on skier's right, on the second to last steep pitch . . . Plus some hike-to stuff that looks SICK), A cliff to the skiers left on Hullaballo below the headwall, through some trees (8-10') with a nice landing, and a couple of doubles on Sagamore (easily visible from the lift).

That should get you started for the on-the-map stuff . . .

SIAWOL
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
The past two weeks I've found myself deliberately looking for little stuff to drop. My own personal challenge this year to push my "comfort zone" and build some more confidence...

That said, I found a nice drop towards the bottom of SB glades (not the "usual" ones skiers left, but a little more to the right), a nice one along skier's left of Chat glades (you can't take the Chat glades entrance to reach them--have to drop in a little further down Chat), and several in the Dark Side area.

I did so-so this week, sticking about 1/2 of them and skiing out. And that includes a run down DS liftline that I think muffed every single landing of the 4-5 drops I hit. I snuck in the trees and one a little out of view from the lift to end the day on a high note.

All listed are in the 3-6' range I'd guess.

MidnightCarving
01-25-2009, 10:56 PM
a patroller told me a couple years ago that some boarder tried to huck under the gondi, broke both legs and a bunch of ribs.

I usually stay away from the cliff hucks unless we have real nice fluffy powder... i dont like ice landings.

Lbtchnlgs
01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
a patroller told me a couple years ago that some boarder tried to huck under the gondi, broke both legs and a bunch of ribs.

I usually stay away from the cliff hucks unless we have real nice fluffy powder... i dont like ice landings.

I think that may be propaganda, its only like 15 ft

megatron
01-26-2009, 07:31 AM

It was true. But it was a skier, who actually was a bump skier from Mountain House in LP. I knew the kid, his family has a second home in Bolton Landing.

C

ComeBackMudPuddles
01-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Depending on the landing, 15 feet can be a long ways down.

Snowballs
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Ok, so is it safe to say no one has successfully Hucked either Upper or Lower Gondi Wall ? a " Claim to Fame " yet to be ...................claimed? it'll have to wait for a BIG spring powder drop and of course, it will require one Crazy.

what about the other stuff ? Rocks, Cliffs, Chutes - let's hear it.

Upper Echo has one chute that maybe doable and accessable from Sags thru the Cirque Glades entrance area or just a little above.

Harvey44
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
15 feet is a lot to me.

I'd say my comfort level is under the darkside chair. How big is the biggest one there?

Probably biggest thing I ever hucked, was accidental...last year on the bottom of Rumor... on New Years day. Snowin' like a basoonuvobitch...probably a foot of snow down....no depth perception... I went over a big snowmaking whale or boulder that I didn't really see.

Probably 6-8' and I only survived because I went with it and didn't freak. Until it was over. Stuck it like Bart Conner.

SKIdds
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Here's some stuff I found in Dark Side and Mineshaft last year........

http://forums.skiadk.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album40&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

I do need to explore around Gore more. I agree that the liftline under High Peaks is fun, as is High Pines and the Topridge liftline. Lots of drops, rocks and such. Skiers left on Rumor (or maybe it's Lies?) near the top is a nice dropoff near a snowmaking gun. Not so much a huck as it is a super steep shot on an already very steep trail.

I agree, 15 feet is big as far as I'm concerned. I find myself looking for and testing myself on bigger and bigger drops and my comfort level stands at about 6 to 8 feet if the landing isn't sketchy.

Gore has great terrain features.

fujative.
01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
a fun drop to do is going into cirque glades off of echo. you can take it anywhere from 6-15ish feet. the landings a little on the flat side though.. my friend showed it to me and i just kinda looked at it and dropped it [/claim], honestly i probably shoulda skied around and scoped out the landing first... but i'm still here in one piece so i guess it was fine.

just look around... theres little things all over the place. if you want to get more comfortable in air, try going through the park and hitting the small side of the last jump (or the big side if youre feeling ballsy :D ). but PLEASE, dont just go off the lips for the rails. that angers us.

and another, random note. whats up with the ski tracks that go under/around/through the guywire under the darkside double? is it the infamous gore mountain yeti? is there even an infamous gore mountain yeti?

Lbtchnlgs
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I got tired off all the cliffs at Gore. So i started prying open the door and dropping out of the gondi. I also have climbed the old gondi towers and dropped most of them

SnowSnake
01-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Back to reality.

There are a few good drops in the Chati glades down Blue Jay Way (early left) over an ice fall or two. A bit flat on the landing but if you do it right you can take two drops in a row and maintain your speed. There are some downed tree limbs in there now so scout your line first. No Guts No Glory.