PDA

View Full Version : Gore Mountain 2/18-2/19/06

mattchuck2
02-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Conditions over the weekend were surprisingly decent.

I expected Ice, Ice and more Ice, and I got . . . hardpack with some ice. There were some icy patches for sure. The headwall of Lies was icy death on Sunday. And Fairview remains the iciest trail of all time. For that trail, I've gone to a strategy of the high speed sideslip, until I'm able to turn at the bottom. The top of Rumor was closed all weeekend. Skied the bottom of Rumor on Sunday - it was hairy, but there were some skiable pockets in there. They groomed Hullaballoo Saturday night, and it was skiing pretty well on Sunday (some death cookies at the bottom, but decent snowcover). The Dark Side was closed on Saturday, and the North Chair Area was closed on Sunday.

Snowmaking over the weekend centered on the lower mountain. Sunway, Wild Air, and Twister all recieved copious amounts of snow from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Apparently, Firday's wind knocked down some branches that took out a couple of snowmakers, and forced the snowmaking crew into repair mode.

All in all, it was a decent weekend on a weekend that I expected to be completely crappy. They should have some nice snowmaking temps this week, so lets hope they fire up the guns to prepare for a great March and April.

Finally, FYI they are running a pretty big kids race this coming weekend (2/25-2/26) So Twister will be closed from Thursday-Sunday.

Wa
02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I was there Sunday and I also found the conditions better than I expected. Hawkeye was ok too- that little drop before it crosses under the chair was the iciest but the rest wasn't too bad. Hullabaloo had decent cover compared to other runs, which was nice. Opent Pit wasn't too bad either.
As far as SCAREview goes- Gore could have 15 feet of snow and that trail will be a solid sheet of ice. But it did provide a nice quick route to some Saddle Lodge hot chocolate. It felt bone chilling damp around mid day, but the early morning and afternoon were more of a dry cold. :) Its not the cold, its the humidity you gotta watch out for!!!