PDA

View Full Version : NYS to tax lift tickets?

DJG21
02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
This was posted on another forum I frequent.

"New York like the rest of the country is going through tough economic times.
Our Governor is charged with developing a balanced budget.
Unfortunately in his proposed budget he has asked for a 4% State sales tax
on ski lift tickets, lessons, and other recreational activities."

There is more at: http://www.stoptheskitax.com/

adkskier
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
This would probably hit the amusement parks in a big time way. The owners of those places are a stronger lobby.

DJG21
02-20-2009, 10:35 AM
CATSKILL — Area ski resorts are taking a stand against Gov. David Paterson’s proposed ski tax that could detrimentally affect the industry in Greene County and beyond.

“It’s very shortsighted by our governor,” said Scott Brandi, president of Ski Areas of New York, Inc.

The proposed tax would add a minimum 4 percent state sales tax to all lift tickets and lessons, as well as an up to 4 percent county sales tax. State-owned and operated resorts would be exempt from the proposed tax.

According to Brandi, the tax could not only have an extremely negative effect on ski areas but also indirectly impact area businesses that cater to the influx of skiers to eat at their restaurants, sleep at their hotels, drink at their bars, etc.

. . . .

http://www.thedailymail.net/articles/2009/02/20/news/news2.txt

[/url]

JC7727
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
so gore wouldn't be affected?

DJG21
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM

It absolutely would be. The Governor's budget would imposes a recreation tax on, among other things,l lift tickets to all ski areas within New York.

Snowballs
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM

according to the article Gore would not be affected since it's state owned. same with state golf courses, etc. while that benefits us, it seems not fair to other areas and their patrons.

the way it's going, this will most likely be the first of many. pain that's a prelude to the dollar crashing ?

A quart of wheat for a denarius and three quarts of barley for a denarius............

Snowballs
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
and then there's this -

http://www.rr.com/home/home/article/4473267/6933327/Winter_Games_are_in_jeopardy_Event_could_fall/1

DJG21
02-20-2009, 03:02 PM

according to the article Gore would not be affected since it's state owned. same with state golf courses, etc. while that benefits us, it seems not fair to other areas and their patrons.

the way it's going, this will most likely be the first of many. pain that's a prelude to the dollar crashing ?

A quart of wheat for a denarius and three quarts of barley for a denarius............

This just cannot be so. As you note, it would discriminate against and unfairly burden private ski areas, and present some sticky legal issues for the State. I'd also think that there would be a signiicant lobbying effort made by the private ski areas.

Perhaps we can invite the Governor to a day of skiing ar Gore? I'd love to see him ski trees.

Snowballs
02-20-2009, 03:28 PM
State-owned and operated resorts would be exempt from the proposed tax.

. . . .

http://www.thedailymail.net/articles/2009/02/20/news/news2.txt

[/url]

really? after you reread this post of yours, reread the newspaper article that you cite.

just saying. peace

DJG21
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
[quote="Snowballs"]really? after you reread this post of yours, reread the newspaper article that you cite. /quote]

I don't know what the source of the Article is, and the part to which you are referring seems suspect.

The NYS DOB website (http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBudget0910/fy0910littlebook/RevenueActions.htm])summarizes the proposal as follows:

Extend Sales Tax to Entertainment-Related Spending. Imposes a sales tax on entertainment-related consumer spending, including but not limited to, movie theaters and sporting events. Most states tax entertainment-related services (31 states tax concerts, theaters, and movies; 27 states tax participatory sports; 22 states tax health clubs; 36 states tax amusement parks and rides; 34 states tax circus admissions).

I haven't yet found the budget item so I have yet to see its language, but the above summary doesn't distinguish between consumers of state-owned entertainment-related businesses and consumers of private businesses. If you review the DOB website and find the relevant budget item, please post it!

Jason in CP
02-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Newschannel 13 had a report on this last night (11pm Friday broadcast). The reporter implied NYS run facilities would be exempted. They interviewed the high ups at Windham and that was their #1 complaint. The owner mentioned that he competes with a number of regional ski areas, specially those in MA & NJ that don't have a tax and Bellayre (state owned/operated) who would be exempt.

In NY nothing is transparent. I guess we'll just have to to log our complaints on the site & governor's link and hope for the best....

Snowballs
02-21-2009, 05:28 PM
channel ten news same thing. the state areas are exempt. things may change.

adkskier
02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Neither of the legislators who serve the Gore Mountain area (Senator Betty Little and Assemblywoman Teresa Sayward) think that the ski ticket tax has any chance of getting signed into law.

Snowballs
02-21-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks for that. i think the Fed. stimulus money is gonna postpone some cuts for a few years. MAYBE we'll even get snowmaking on Sags, Lookout below, and Hoyt's High.

After that's gone, it's gonna be............Bend Over !