PDA

View Full Version : ?? Echo/Wilmington Trails

MICO
02-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Howdy.........First, thanks for replies to my "Harder Blues, Easier Blacks" post from a few weeks ago -- much appreciation for the info. Super day at Gore before moving-on to Stratton to take advantage of freebie tics. Headed back to Gore for 2-3 days this week........Hopefully, bringing tons of snow with us.

Question is for those who've skied the Wilmington Trail at that place to the north. How does it compare to Echo as far as pitch and "expansiveness" of view? Asking for comparison here, since some on the other forum seem a little high strung.

Wifey gets a bit of vertigo whenever the mountainside really opens-up and there are no trees nearby. As we came down Echo at the top, I saw the vista and slammed-on the brakes. My better-half was like a deer in the headlights, and on the verge of going "tharn" (Watership Down, if you've read it). She got a spirited and hasty pep shout from me, then on we went. She was skiing stiff as a board, but mostly recovered by the time we came to a rather blackish pitch down the trail. I entered it off to the right, but she went right down the middle and ripped-it pretty good.

Soooo, wifey is a gamer, but I don't want to drag her down a trail that'll cause a total freak-out. I've looked at the online pics of Wilmington's construction and it might be a problem. Just askin' whacha think.

Thanks ! Mike
[/code]

kornfein
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
I would say that Wilmington definitely has a bigger view than Echo. The top reminds one of Twister, rolling and not very steep with distant view of Lake Champlain, probably not scary since you are surrounded by trees. The middle section is sort of like a very long Fox Liar, where it goes under the Gondola, sort of narrow with a steep drop off on the skiers left and a rock wall on the right. Below there the trail goes through the woods as a fairly dark blue.

I would be concerned about getting vertigo on the middle section, if one is prone to that. You may want to check it out first

baitman5238
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
agree with Kornfein - maybe if the conditions are good and traffic is light it's manageable and she'd just want to stay on the right side

NPN
02-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Howdy.........First, thanks for replies to my "Harder Blues, Easier Blacks" post from a few weeks ago -- much appreciation for the info. Super day at Gore before moving-on to Stratton to take advantage of freebie tics. Headed back to Gore for 2-3 days this week........Hopefully, bringing tons of snow with us.

Question is for those who've skied the Wilmington Trail at that place to the north. How does it compare to Echo as far as pitch and "expansiveness" of view? Asking for comparison here, since some on the other forum seem a little high strung.

Wifey gets a bit of vertigo whenever the mountainside really opens-up and there are no trees nearby. As we came down Echo at the top, I saw the vista and slammed-on the brakes. My better-half was like a deer in the headlights, and on the verge of going "tharn" (Watership Down, if you've read it). She got a spirited and hasty pep shout from me, then on we went. She was skiing stiff as a board, but mostly recovered by the time we came to a rather blackish pitch down the trail. I entered it off to the right, but she went right down the middle and ripped-it pretty good.

Soooo, wifey is a gamer, but I don't want to drag her down a trail that'll cause a total freak-out. I've looked at the online pics of Wilmington's construction and it might be a problem. Just askin' whacha think.

Thanks ! Mike
[/code]

I'd luv to have you elaborate on the "high strung" comment, but, to answer your question without the benefit of ever being on Echo, Wilie is extremely expansive, like alot of Whiteface's terrain.

If that's a problem, you definitely want to keep her off Lookout.