PDA

View Full Version : Creative Trail Count

SIAWOL
02-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Usually, the trail count by Gore is pretty good--even if it is just a guess of what they'll have open the following day.

But today I noticed a slight change to their reporting--never noticed if they'd done it before.

"Trails Open: 93%*"

Which I thought sounded high and the asterisk caught my attention. Scroll to bottom of snow report:

"* Does not include glades "

Not sure exactly how I feel about this yet...Except that I wish there was enough snow that excluding glades from the trail count wouldn't be an issue!

Jeff
02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
The new math appeared this past Friday. Not sure if they ever followed that formula before. At least they are stating on the website where they are blowing snow. Can anyone who has been up recently give a report as to how much they've been able to bring conditions back following last week's thaw? For me, I'll wait until the woods come back.

Snowballs
02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
ice ice baby. upper hawkeye bobsled run,lower hawkeye was accumulating some man made. closed Rumor looked like it was getting a good size pile of snow on it. wild aire + sunway had some man made acc. topridge,uncas,twister,hulla, darby,chatie, bear, echo all were icy w/some snow here and there. firm and fast. typical eastern. Sags is destroyed.

i saw a sign at the entrance of the closed kill kare glades warning poachers that their ticket would get pulled. so you might wanna think twice. the whole hill is firm. i had fun and i'm going up alot this week. they may be serious about layin down alotta man made, but it may get skied off as yesterday was fairly packed.

for those w/newbies the lower mtn. had good coverage on it.

Jeff
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
No need to think twice about not poaching Kill Kare. That glade is so overgrown now that they might as well remove it from the trail map. Even if it was maintained, it's short and located in a heavily trafficed area. If I'm ducking ropes to go into the woods, it wouldn't be that one. Of course, that's a non-issue for now.

SIAWOL
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Saw the handmade anti-poaching sign a couple weeks ago. I, too, thought it was strange.

Until I got further down Pine Knot and looked up towards it. There were a couple of snow guns and several hoses stashed at the bottom of Kill Kare so my guess the handmade sign was made by snowmakers worried about their safety and equipment...

Kill Kare is a waste anyway...

Snowballs
02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
right. i just added it in case any where thinkin of poaching any glades and gore had decided to start yankin tickets. many out of towners are on here lookin for info before they drive up.