PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Trails

toofaraway
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Anyone know which trails were used for the Olympic events in 1980?

TrailsEndChazyLake
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.teachski.com/pcindex2005/newenglandnew/whitefaceolympic57715d.jpg

This should help. Match it up to the Trail Map!
Good Luck!

cover
02-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Will the Olympics ever come back to LP?

NPN
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM

IMHO, not a chance, nor would I ever want it to.

Transportation dramas alone close out Placid/Whiteface as an option.

Snowballs
02-18-2009, 08:42 PM

well,imo,hell no. the small space and narrow few roads would make a freegin nightmare with the ever growing crowds and a large burden on the athletes just trying to get to the venues. others may have different opinions.

same subject. obama wants to bring the summer olympics to america, esp. chicago.imo,hell no! are you outta your mind? what purpose could it possibly serve? the olympics cost like a gazillion dollars+++ to host now. and they rarely figure in all the security costs. then the host city is left with buildings it doesn't need or use.

other countries want to host the olympics, some for the first time, let them have a chance. we've had them quite a few times. others may have a different opinion. please post.

what are your thoughts cover?

Baldtodabone
02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I know London who got the 2012 summer games is over budget. The overall cost of the Olympics - including regeneration of a rundown East London area into the Olympic Park - has been projected at $18.4 billion. Just to give you an idea I think there are more media that go to the Olympics now than LP has rooms. That doesn't include where the spectators would stay. The only way it could ever work would be a regional approach. I doubt it will ever happen though. So I guess a bid for the Olympics would be a good economic stimulus to Chicago or any city.

ComeBackMudPuddles
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
i heard talk one time of a joint adirondack-montreal bid. could be interesting to have two nations put on the show, though the border crossing would be a nightmare.

GoofyRider
02-19-2009, 08:32 PM

there is no way. like others have said, it is just too small of a town. Take a look at where some of the other games have been held recently. I mean Beijing is insanely huge, Athens, Vancouver, Torino, Salt Lake, Nagano are mostly big world cities. The Olympics have become about much more than the actual events and the original spirit of bringing people from all over the world together. That is still a big part of it I think, but nowadays we are all wired together around the world so I don't think the Olympics are that big a deal in that regard anymore. I believe a big part of the olympics now is of course making money and offering the huge crowds of people other things to do as well. People expect 5 star restaurants and hotels, broadway shows, etc. There just isn't that potential in LP.

I am glad that LP did have the opportunity to host them in '80 though, I think it's cool to day I've skied an olympic mountain!

NPN
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
[quote=cover]Will the Olympics ever come back to LP?People expect 5 star restaurants. There just isn't that potential in LP.quote]

Clearly you've never eaten at the Cowboy.

Xtremeskiier
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Besides the traffic, it would be awsome to have them in LP and wouldnt cost us (tax payers) trillions of dollars to build!

Snowballs
02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
i just saw on the news that Chicago is spending 10.5 million dollars just to come up with a mascot for any potential olympic bid. crazy. nowadays, the selfishness of " wouldn't it be great if we had the Olympics " is stupid. we can't afford them and no you don't make money off the Olympics any more. you'll spend tens of billions - if not hundreds of billions - just to get a billion or so back for Chicago. it's stupid. it would be FAR cheaper to just write Chicago a check. let somebody else host for a turn.

the President submitted a budget proposal that has a 1.75 TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICT (so far) for one year alone. that's more than the last 5 years combined!

NEWS FLASH - nobody will or even has 1.75 TRILLION dollars to lend us. esp. on a yearly basis. what about the massive interest costs ? people just don't get it and continue to spend like it's never gonna crash. the government is gonna have to print extra dollars that will erode the value of the dollar, maybe very seriously.

besides that, so far we spent 3 TRILLION dollars + on a recession that is no different than the ones in the 90's, 80's, 70's, times when we didn't spend astronomical sums and we emerged fine.

last fall the bail out of 3/4 trillion dollars was passed and now the banks and the gov. say they don't know what the money was used for or where it went!!! unfreegin real!!! absolutely unbelievable!!!

now they want more money cuz the banks aren't lending? well DUH ! anybody stop to think that they're not lending cuz people aren't applying for loans cuz they're afraid they'll lose their jobs? and the more the tv says the sky is falling the more people quit spending and then more jobs are lost.

we probably are heading for a crash that's like post war germany or the third world countries where a loaf of bread costs a wheel barrow load of money.