PDA

View Full Version : Info on what happened to why lookout closed

nyspnypd
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
If anyone cares or wanted to know why lookout closed early was due to there were a few people who went of down the cliff and ski patrol determined it was too dangerous so they were grooming it throughout the day so it should be good tomorrow. :)

Snowballs
02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
well that didn't take long to happen. let's hope it's the last time. any word on injuries?

whitefaceman
02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
that happened to a guy skiing about 20 feet in front of me on that stretch. he went all the way down. poor guy. i came back up the lift right after and ski patrol hadnt even reached him yet. :shock:

nyspnypd
02-21-2009, 09:01 PM
No clue on injuries but the total is 8 people were over the edge at once.

Snowballs
02-21-2009, 09:29 PM
:shock:

cover
02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow. So the million dollar question is why isn't it fenced to keep people from going over the cliff??

tjf67
02-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Wow. So the million dollar question is why isn't it fenced to keep people from going over the cliff??

It is in most spots. Remember it is skiing. Mountains were not intended to have trails cut down them so people can ski. The people that do ski should understand that there are risks involved and accept them as is.

snoeboarder
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
how big is this cliff? sounds scary, 8 people just flying off like they were following the Jim Jones of skiing, i haven't been up to ride this season yet

tjf67
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
It fairly large. I would say half mile or so. They do have fence up and if people pay attention to the signs everything would be AOK. the problem in people go racing past the ski slow sign and before they know it they are in trouble. I am a half way decent skier and I stop where the sign sais slow down. Take a look down and then go. It is not that it is that steep but it botlenecks and get scraped off. If you pick up and go straight it is pretty uneventful. However it is a pretty antimidating sight and I think it gets in peoples heads. They start looking at the drop off and before they know it they are over it.

Snowballs
02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
yea, i know skiing involves risks. we all do. but the mtn takes other precautions. slow signs, closing trails that are bad, check for avy concerns, trail ratings, bumping chairs, fences here and there, merging signs, fall nets at chair terminals, wind holds, chair inspections, lollipops, employees on the hill to police recklessness, etc.

you would not have to go all "deer in the headlights" to go over that cliff. catch an edge, get crowded over, someone falls in front of you, ice, an unaware kid, or an adult simply not paying attention - these causes of falls have happened to each and every one of us - sans cliff.

if it's more than a bank, or it's buttressed with jagged rocks, it needs a fence. the mtn has protection with the assumption of risk concept, but if they do something blatantly negligent or out of industry standards there's exposure.

let's hope that doesn't happen and the only damage was some soiled shorts.

i bet there's a fence there next year. no, i'm not advocating sanitizing the whole mtn. it comes down to what is reasonable. jmo

snowman
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I had heard there would be more fence next year, but I have to say that I personally think the fence takes away from the trail. It is pretty ugly, and it might make people too confident. Ruby's Run at Gore makes me feel like I am skiing in at an airport or city with the giant fence (ok, I can understand it there).
I also heard that they are planning on making that wider...

That all said, it was pretty icy over there on Sat.
I hate to see people hurt.

faceridr
02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
TJF is right - it's all in their heads. Imagine if it weren't a cliff on the edge of that trail but a row of trees like every other run. I highly doubt we'd see the same amount of carnage.

I hope they don't build permanent fencing. Anybody ever see the fugly mess of fences they have at Hunter?

Maybe next year they could blow a little more snow on the traverse, camber the trail to the right or maybe throw a little berm on the edge. That or a double row of B-net would take care of the issue.

Xtremeskiier
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
That's where the glades are going to be I believe that's y there is no fence there. There is no need for a fence, its obvious its a steep drop any person with common sense (even on ice) would keep skiiers right. it's obvious that it's a big drop, as you can see for ever with the stunning view. It's a mountain, and they should be able to just put a bamboo pole every 50 ft and not even need the rope... people just dont think when they ski anymore.