PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Trekker

CUskibum
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I was talking to a friend last week who is a Backcountry Skiing Chair for CUOC (Clarkson University Outing Club). He mentioned that with their allotted budget they might be looking into purchasing several pairs of Alpine Trekker bindings. They are basically a portable set of telemark bindings that can be put into alpine ski bindings in order to allow someone to ski tele with their alpine skis. Here is the article he sent me.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/alpine_trekker/trekker_review.htm

I think its a pretty cool idea. I know many of us prefer lift served terrain, but I think it would be pretty neat to try some skiing back country without having to spend $$$ to buy or rent tele equipment.

Has anyone tried these out?

Snowballs
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
not a backcountry person, but with all the talk on both boards about it lately i've been wondering if a third message board for ADK BC/trees ought to be added. read an article today by Cloudsplitter outfitters about going to the adk loj and heading up to algoquin mtn and rippin some bowl there-his fav. there's got to be lots of cool stuff around the loj.

trivia test - why is it spelled LOJ?

would like to hear more about those bindings. sounds like a cool idea if they work well.

02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I was talking to a friend last week who is a Backcountry Skiing Chair for CUOC (Clarkson University Outing Club). He mentioned that with their allotted budget they might be looking into purchasing several pairs of Alpine Trekker bindings. They are basically a portable set of telemark bindings that can be put into alpine ski bindings in order to allow someone to ski tele with their alpine skis. Here is the article he sent me.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/alpine_trekker/trekker_review.htm

I think its a pretty cool idea. I know many of us prefer lift served terrain, but I think it would be pretty neat to try some skiing back country without having to spend $$$ to buy or rent tele equipment.

Has anyone tried these out?

This is a setup used for AT(alpine touring). It's not for tele in any way. It is used so you can skin up the mountain and shuffle along with skins on the bottom or your skis. It is a less expensive way of doing AT with your hill setup.

CUskibum
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Oh ok. I thought it was for tele. I know you use them for skinning. but not much more than that.

tjf67
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh ok. I thought it was for tele. I know you use them for skinning. but not much more than that.

They are meant to be able to click into your binding and allow someone to be able to basically walk . You put a pair of skins on your skiis and walk up a hill to get to the powder and ski down. You dont want to go across the flats withthem you will burn youself out and it is no fun.