PDA

View Full Version : What say the local weather experts on Wed night thru Friday?

SKIdds
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Looks like we're headed up this weekend, most likely regardless of the weather.......but it would be nice to hit some fresh snow and decent tree skiing.

So what are the local weather men/women saying about later this week? Looks like the NWS and Accuweather are coming into agreement on Thursday being the warmer day, with all/mostly snow, especially as elevation increases. NWS currently forecasts all snow for Placid (elev 1,900 ft) and the chance for some rain mixing in Thursday in Wilmington (elev 1,100 ft). Accu has some rain mixing in in both areas Thursday. So far all talk of sleet and freezing rain seems to be gone (whew). Both NWS and Accu say all snow all areas Thursday night into Friday, Friday temps in the lower 30's, with Accuweather calling for 8 inches. That would be sweet.

Of course, the Weather Channel has Friday as the warmer day, with snow and rain showers. Go figure. Hopefully they come into line with the others.

So what's it gonna be, and when is the cold front coming thru? If it comes thru before Thursday night the weekend will be most excellent. If it comes thru later and there is some rain Friday it will just be good. I'd prefer to ski some of the fluff and powder I'm seeing in all these trip reports the past few days, so I'm hoping the NCP stays away from the mountain.

All that said, I'll be dropping the kiddies at the Kampus Saturday by 8:30, at which time I'll be all on my lonesome. If anyone is looking for some company, I'm game. Always more fun to ski with someone else......

JC7727
02-24-2009, 01:49 PM
snow to all rain for a bit, could be half inch or so of rain (maybe some zr in the lower elevations). 1-3 inches of snow behind the cold front. Dosen't look good as of now.

SKIdds
02-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Pssst.......I meant the forecast for Placid/Whiteface, not Ithaca ;).

Really, is that a local Lake Placid forecast? If so, thanks for the heads up. A forecast like that and I'll wait another day before making our reservations. Of course, I haven't found any of the big weather forecasting sites supporting that outlook for the 'Dacks, but it is only Tuesday.........

highpeaksdrifter
02-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I have not seen anything as pessimistic as what JC posted. Sure hope he’s wrong, but I’m sure he does too. Accuweather is forcasting 4-8 inches Thursday night. We'll see. Keep hope alive.

Snowballs
02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
lol.

it's fun to talk about the weather but it's like the weatherman really can't tell what's gonna happen. it really sucks when they run teaser spots (just to get you to watch) of "BIG STORM!" only to downgrade at the last minute. none the less we all tune in for hope. to bad we don't get all that snow that falls lake side or on the Tug Hill Plataeu. then we'ld have it made. could somebody please click and drag Lake Ontario closer to the adks?

go to weather.com and type in Placid's zip code for the latest speculation. or just wait for harv to chime in.

takeahike46er
02-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I am seeing something similar to what JC is seeing, at least if the models pan out. A few inches of snow late Wednesday night-early Thursday evening, tapering off to snow showers overnight. Accumulations at the base will be minimal due to warm air creeping into the Champlain Valley. Some lake enhanced snow showers in the morning could add a couple more inches from the mid-station up.

Rain moves in Thursday around midnight. 1/4'' to 1/2 '' of liquid is possible before the precipitation ends and cold air arrives around 9 pm Friday.

mattchuck2
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
(post deleted)

SKIdds
02-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Props to JC on your meteorological prowess. I shall now humbly defer to you for all my weather forecasting needs. Unless the forecast changes, Friday is looking to be 40 and rain, upwards of that half inch, with some back end snow showers. If only it would stay warm, the weekend might be really nice spring conditions. Alas, temps down around 10 Friday night should leave the hill just a wee bit firm over the weekend as it stays below freezing both Sat and Sun. Wonder if there is any chance of more snow included in the mix at elevation, perhaps giving the top half of the mountain better conditions? Wishfull thinking.........

It may be time to re-think and save the money we'd spend to go this weekend for another spring weekend that might bring more enjoyable conditions. Unfortunately, we don't have that many weekends in March open. We'll see. The kids would most likely be fine with ski school and sticking to the groomers....just not the kind of conditions I was hoping to enjoy.

Mattchuck2......if it is a go for us this weekend I'll let you guys know and it would be great to ski with you. I have no problem with your preferred terrain and mode of skiing. I've had my days where Empire is my warmup run (when the conditions are right you have to get at it before anyone else :)). I suspect if things get warm, wet and refrozen there will be very hard bumps, but they won't be open. Mac is usually closed right after such a thaw-freeze episode. Last year I did hit the bumps on Lower Mac the day they reopened after such an event, and while I have no problem with hard bumps, these were dust on glare ice and you really couldn't ski them with any enjoyment. Anyway, a weekend on less than ideal conditions is better than not getting out at all, so maybe it will be a go. I'll keep you posted...........

tjf67
02-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Props to JC on your meteorological prowess. I shall now humbly defer to you for all my weather forecasting needs. Unless the forecast changes, Friday is looking to be 40 and rain, upwards of that half inch, with some back end snow showers. If only it would stay warm, the weekend might be really nice spring conditions. Alas, temps down around 10 Friday night should leave the hill just a wee bit firm over the weekend as it stays below freezing both Sat and Sun. Wonder if there is any chance of more snow included in the mix at elevation, perhaps giving the top half of the mountain better conditions? Wishfull thinking.........

It may be time to re-think and save the money we'd spend to go this weekend for another spring weekend that might bring more enjoyable conditions. Unfortunately, we don't have that many weekends in March open. We'll see. The kids would most likely be fine with ski school and sticking to the groomers....just not the kind of conditions I was hoping to enjoy.

Mattchuck2......if it is a go for us this weekend I'll let you guys know and it would be great to ski with you. I have no problem with your preferred terrain and mode of skiing. I've had my days where Empire is my warmup run (when the conditions are right you have to get at it before anyone else :)). I suspect if things get warm, wet and refrozen there will be very hard bumps, but they won't be open. Mac is usually closed right after such a thaw-freeze episode. Last year I did hit the bumps on Lower Mac the day they reopened after such an event, and while I have no problem with hard bumps, these were dust on glare ice and you really couldn't ski them with any enjoyment. Anyway, a weekend on less than ideal conditions is better than not getting out at all, so maybe it will be a go. I'll keep you posted...........

Skiids were you at MRG yesterday?

SKIdds
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately, no.

tjf67
02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, no.

I was yelling skidds to a guy in the singles line that looked like you but he never turned his head. He must have been wondering what the heck I was saying

SKIdds
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Wish it had been me. Conditions must have been pretty sweet.

mattchuck2
02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I'll keep you posted...........

Sounds good, send me a PM if you're in.

tjf67
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Looks like we're headed up this weekend, most likely regardless of the weather.......but it would be nice to hit some fresh snow and decent tree skiing.

So what are the local weather men/women saying about later this week? Looks like the NWS and Accuweather are coming into agreement on Thursday being the warmer day, with all/mostly snow, especially as elevation increases. NWS currently forecasts all snow for Placid (elev 1,900 ft) and the chance for some rain mixing in Thursday in Wilmington (elev 1,100 ft). Accu has some rain mixing in in both areas Thursday. So far all talk of sleet and freezing rain seems to be gone (whew). Both NWS and Accu say all snow all areas Thursday night into Friday, Friday temps in the lower 30's, with Accuweather calling for 8 inches. That would be sweet.

Of course, the Weather Channel has Friday as the warmer day, with snow and rain showers. Go figure. Hopefully they come into line with the others.

So what's it gonna be, and when is the cold front coming thru? If it comes thru before Thursday night the weekend will be most excellent. If it comes thru later and there is some rain Friday it will just be good. I'd prefer to ski some of the fluff and powder I'm seeing in all these trip reports the past few days, so I'm hoping the NCP stays away from the mountain.

All that said, I'll be dropping the kiddies at the Kampus Saturday by 8:30, at which time I'll be all on my lonesome. If anyone is looking for some company, I'm game. Always more fun to ski with someone else......

Am certain we will see each other around the hill. Lets take a few runs. Sharpen your edges boys and girls its going to be a racer weekend.

SKIdds
02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Am certain we will see each other around the hill. Lets take a few runs. Sharpen your edges boys and girls its going to be a racer weekend.
Looks like I'll catch you next time around. Given the forecast and the likely weekend conditions we decided not to invest the time and money to come up this weekend. Not only are the conditions likely to be fast and firm (perhaps too much so for the kids, with no trees and bumps for me?), but the idea of potentially driving home in a Sunday snow storm also helped me make the decision. We'll be up there from March 15 - 17, so maybe I'll see you on the hill that Sunday if you are there.

Mattchuck.......I'd still like to get a day in at Gore this spring, if we make it up I'll shoot you a pm and maybe I'll see you there.

So it looks like we might be off to Sundown in CT for a day of spring conditions and soft bumps on Saturday. The hill might be small, but it's relatively close and the conditions should be a wee bit more forgiving than in the north country.....

mattchuck2
02-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Sounds good.

We're still going if anyone is interested in making some turns . . . (HPD?)

highpeaksdrifter
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Sounds good.

We're still going if anyone is interested in making some turns . . . (HPD?)

Matt, I PMed you my cell when you PMed me 2 weeks ago and told me you where coming, if you didn't get it PM me again. Call me Sat. morning cause Sunday I have to be at Gore.

mattchuck2
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds good. . . I'll bring my cell.

highpeaksdrifter
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah know, whenever the forcast calls for rain followed by a freeze I say to myself, it will be what it will be, can't do a thing about it so why worry about it. Just go and make the best of it. Then it starts raining and I get all pissed off. I'm still going to make the best of it though.

Snowballs
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah know, whenever the forcast calls for rain followed by a freeze I say to myself, it will be what it will be, can't do a thing about it so why worry about it. Just go and make the best of it. Then it starts raining and I get all pissed off. I'm still going to make the best of it though.

...............but will you still be P O or just R O ?*

*rained on

nyspnypd
02-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Now it looks like it will be close but no so unless it changes its path you are not getting anything.

Jack the Ripper
02-27-2009, 07:08 PM
What's ot doing roght now? I hope 4 u guys its not boilerplate tomorrow.

Jack the Ripper
02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Are right next.2 each other on this thing

SKIdds
02-27-2009, 07:32 PM
HPD...I know how you feel. And then I get the angry 'if onlys'. If only it had been cold enough for snow. If only is stayed warm with spring conditions for another day or two. Ah, so close, and yet so far.

We'll make the best of it tomorrow at Sundown. I'll get to experience the pace I've read SOOOOO much about on AZ. The spring bumps should be fun.......

tjf67
02-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Its going to be solid tomorrow. Its supposed to be sunny and in the 20's. I am sure we will find something fun to ski on.

CUskibum
02-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Its going to be solid tomorrow. Its supposed to be sunny and in the 20's. I am sure we will find something fun to ski on.

Good luck skiing that. It rained all the way from Potsdam to Clifton Park when I drove home this afternoon.