PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Boundary to Boundary?

SIAWOL
02-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I know lift layout is an issue/risk with boundary to boundary skiing at Gore--but will we ever actually see it? It works well at other Eastern mountains....

Harvey44
02-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Do you mean full lift service with no skinning or climbing?

I don't think a lift will ever be put up the flank of Pete Gay.

I think there is a limit on the amount of trail that Gore can have. Not sure how much is left.

twinplanx
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM
I thought a B-B policy was more like green lighting the woods, any woods. Kinda like Jay's policy...

Spongeworthy
02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I think there is a limit on the amount of trail that Gore can have. Not sure how much is left.

I recently read an online article (that I can't find anymore) that Whiteface is within 2 miles of their 25-mile limit and that Gore has more than 10 miles left on their 40-mile limit.

The article also said that Gore is up in skier visits this year, while Whiteface is down, and that ORDA is quite in the red. That might explain a lot about what isn't open during the week.

Jeff
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
What other Eastern resorts allow b-to-b skiing and what are the specific policies? Obviously MRG, and I've stated previously that I thought a woods policy similar to MRG's wuould be appropriate at Gore. But how do other Eastern resort areas administer an open woods policy?

Snowballs
02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
don't some of them or their states have a policy that if you're " out there " and need rescued you may get billed ?

Lbtchnlgs
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't really see why it matters weather they are or not. You can still ski it with minimal risk of being "caught" and even if you are I don't think the penalty would be anything to worry about. Who, that cares is going to see and report you on the backside of the mtn, or on pete gay ect...

As for the rescue, if it is needed you were not prepared/using the right BC techniques ie- skiing w. buddy. So of course you should be billed for the rescue efforts.

Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to :wink:

I:)skiing
02-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I think it would be an insurance thing.....

You can accept your own liability all you want.....until you are hurt...then your family/friends or even injured you decide to file suit. B-B will never occur.

MidnightCarving
02-28-2009, 02:58 PM
lol, who cares if you get billed to be rescued?

die, or get billed?

i'll take the bill.

Snowballs
02-28-2009, 03:19 PM
lol, who cares if you get billed to be rescued?

die, or get billed?

i'll take the bill.

you assumed incorrectly! i think it's a great idea. when people go out of bounds and then need rescued they create unnecessary hardships, risks and expenses for others.

so there! lol

kcyanks1
02-28-2009, 04:40 PM
What other Eastern resorts allow b-to-b skiing and what are the specific policies? Obviously MRG, and I've stated previously that I thought a woods policy similar to MRG's wuould be appropriate at Gore. But how do other Eastern resort areas administer an open woods policy?

Sugarbush has a policy posted at every lift, something like woods are unpatrolled, you are on your own, don't ski alone, etc.

I believe Stowe has a b-to-b policy as well, though I don't know the details--at least they don't care at all about you skiing in the woods. They have some conflicting info -- at the bottom of the Forerunner they have a sign about only skiing on trails--but I think that actual intent of that sign is that you pay if you are off trail, not that you aren't allowed off trail. Stowe also has some sort of out-of-bounds policy, though I haven't actually bothered to read the signs :-) They appear at least on Chin Clip if not other places.

Jay has a boundary-to-boundary policy.

SIAWOL
03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
The Loaf has B-t-B. It's a sweet deal and works well. I'm sure Mattchuck will agree. But most of that mountain naturally funnels down to the base.

I could see some big issues @ Gore with the boundary along Chatty and Upper Steilhang. Those woods are inviting but lead WAY off the mountain...

I say go for it, Gore. After all, it is state land and logic would dictate that if I can ski the backcountry over on some undeveloped ADK peak then I ought to be able to (legally) ski the unmarked woods @ Gore.

It seems it'd be more of an ORDA/Gore decision to green light the woods, no? As long as they maintain/prune the woods or designate them as a trail, they ought to be able to allow it.