PDA

View Full Version : What scares you at Whiteface?

mattchuck2
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
(post deleted)

Snowballs
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

is this the same guy who just wrote..." we ski pretty aggressively, though. all black,not much stopping,nastiest ice,hardest bumps and tightest trees. still interested? " ?

who's gonna go first? where's all the no-dick skiers of Bore mtn comments? have at it guys!

mattchuck2
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
(post deleted)

Face4Me
03-01-2009, 11:48 PM
My wife mentioned today that, without counting the Slides (which won't be open at all this spring, judging by the condition of them now), there isn't any terrain that is really scary at Whiteface. I agreed.

Gore's got skier's left Rumor Headwall, some stuff in some glades (especially some off the map stuff), and she mentioned Lower Steilhang headwall (which I don't find particularly tough), but at least that's a few things on the mountain that give you pause. Whiteface is weird like that. Everything is right out there for you, and what you see is what you get. I guess Empire would be the trail to point to, but I never had any problem skiing that before . . . Even the Glades at Whiteface are easier than Gore.

The only thing about Whiteface that I find tough is the ice and other skiers. Anyone else?
Scary???? I'm not sure I understand this post ...

It seems to me that as soon as you're capable of linking turns and making a hockey stop on skis, there are very few ski trails that are actually "scary". As far as Rumor is concerned ... my eight year old skied it last weekend ... I don't think he was scared :shock:

Obviously any glade is going to be "scarier" than a cleared ski trail and no doubt, Gore certainly has a more diverse and more difficult selection of glades to choose from than Whiteface, the Slides being the obvious exception.

I still don't get your post ... was there really a point, or were you just trying provoke some reactions?

highpeaksdrifter
03-02-2009, 07:42 AM
So you tryin to start a forum war here Matt? I don't want to get sucked into this but, "Skiers left on Rummor", that's all you Gore guys have to say. I like Rummor, it's a good trail, but it's not scary. The scariest thing about Gore for me is getting stuck on one of its many flat sections.

After a day of rain on Friday and temps in the single digits Friday night, where you expecting packed powder on Saturday?

highpeaksdrifter
03-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I still don't get your post ... was there really a point, or were you just trying provoke some reactions?

I’m thinkin the latter

tjf67
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
My wife mentioned today that, without counting the Slides (which won't be open at all this spring, judging by the condition of them now), there isn't any terrain that is really scary at Whiteface. I agreed.

Gore's got skier's left Rumor Headwall, some stuff in some glades (especially some off the map stuff), and she mentioned Lower Steilhang headwall (which I don't find particularly tough), but at least that's a few things on the mountain that give you pause. Whiteface is weird like that. Everything is right out there for you, and what you see is what you get. I guess Empire would be the trail to point to, but I never had any problem skiing that before . . . Even the Glades at Whiteface are easier than Gore.

The only thing about Whiteface that I find tough is the ice and other skiers. Anyone else?

From the post it is obvious you do not know your way around the hill. If I went to gore and did not know where I am going I would be bored after 6 runs. Its just a matter of knowing hwere to go. Sat. the best option was to leave the hill and get out in the backcountry. WHich I am guessing would have been the best thing to do down at gore as well.

Jack the Ripper
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
That’s what that post was. You hate whiteface??? Fine stay at gore then and leave Whiteface for the people that truly appreciate good skiing.

Here’s what’s scary about gore…..

Waiting in long lines for 5 minute runs
Small crappy gondi
Flat spots all over the place
“skiers” like matt.

I doubt even little gore had good conditions this past weekend.

Stay down there…no one will miss you at the face.

toofaraway
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Sounds like Mattchuck thinks he belongs on the World Cup Circuit. Must be nice being such an amazing skier. Hopefully he shuts his big mouth while he's buzzing down the trail. I wouldn't want to see an errant snowball get jammed in there.

SKIdds
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Now, now......let's all get along.

It does seem to me that Matt's post was an invitation to argue and compare, and those types of discussions are seldom worth while. His comment about ice (especially this past weekend) and other skiers just highligts limited knowledge of Whiteface. Given conditions everywhere this past weekend the comment about ice would apply anywhere. But his observations on terrain aren't completely off, although they are incomplete.

While my experience with Gore is limited compared to Whiteface, I did find Gore's terrain, overall, to be more challenging. It has WF matched for steeps. It has more and better glades. It allows much more terrain to become bumped up. A lot more rocky, quirky terrain for jumps, and launches, and airs. I wouldn't argue with him there. I would argue whether or not there is anything scary at either mountain, for an advanced skier. Nothing at either mountain is pucker you @ss steep, no fall zone, 'what they heck am I doing here?' kind of terrain, at least on the trail map. Hit the Slides, go off map at Gore....things get more interesting.

But as I said, Matt's comments are incomplete, although maybe he didn't intend to provide commentary on the mountain as a whole. While Gore may get the nod for outright difficulty, Whiteface gets the nod for mountain layout, sustained vertical, lifts, availabe terrain (midweek). Let's just leave it at, both mountains have their virtues........

Quinn the Eskimo
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Gorons!

Jack the Ripper
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
While my experience with Gore is limited compared to Whiteface, I did find Gore's terrain, overall, to be more challenging. It has WF matched for steeps. It has more and better glades. It allows much more terrain to become bumped up. A lot more rocky, quirky terrain for jumps, and launches, and airs. I wouldn't argue with him there. I would argue whether or not there is anything scary at either mountain, for an advanced skier. Nothing at either mountain is pucker you @ss steep, no fall zone, 'what they heck am I doing here?' kind of terrain, at least on the trail map. Hit the Slides, go off map at Gore....things get more interesting.

I'm not buying that Gore is harder than Whiteface. I've skied both and I'll gladly admit gore has better glades but that's all it's got over Whiteface. It's not a harder mountain to ski/ride. No way.

mattchuck2
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
(post deleted)

Jack the Ripper
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
From the post it is obvious you do not know your way around the hill. If I went to gore and did not know where I am going I would be bored after 6 runs. Its just a matter of knowing hwere to go. Sat. the best option was to leave the hill and get out in the backcountry. WHich I am guessing would have been the best thing to do down at gore as well.

Haha . . . This past Saturday? The best option was to go in the backcountry?!?!?!? You must be joking, right?

I think there's arguments to be had as to which mountain is "harder". The best answer (IMO) is that the mountains cater to a different skiing style. Whiteface to more of the racer, knife sharp edger; the snowboarder; and to the Park skier (some of the kids in the Big Air contest on Sunday were SICK). And Gore to the bump skier (although I wish there was more), tree skier, and hippy telemarker. This is not to say that there isn't some overlap (great racer style at Gore and great tree skiers - and especially great bumpers - at Whiteface), but just generally.

And yeah, "skier's left of Rumor" is a weak example, but where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in? I still haven't heard an answer . . . I was looking for SOMETHING this past weekend, and I couldn't find it. I agree that Gore probably wasn't much better this past weekend, but I wasn't asking the question about Gore, I was asking about Whiteface.

were you just trying provoke some reactions?

Yes. But I still want to know the answer. Where is your spot?

Lookout Below will give a lot of people pause before they dive in.......anything in the Slides as well. It all depends on conditions really.

tjf67
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Haha . . . This past Saturday? The best option was to go in the backcountry?!?!?!? You must be joking, right?

I think there's arguments to be had as to which mountain is "harder". The best answer (IMO) is that the mountains cater to a different skiing style. Whiteface to more of the racer, knife sharp edger; the snowboarder; and to the Park skier (some of the kids in the Big Air contest on Sunday were SICK). And Gore to the bump skier (although I wish there was more), tree skier, and hippy telemarker. This is not to say that there isn't some overlap (great racer style at Gore and great tree skiers - and especially great bumpers - at Whiteface), but just generally.

And yeah, "skier's left of Rumor" is a weak example, but where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in? I still haven't heard an answer . . . I was looking for SOMETHING this past weekend, and I couldn't find it. I agree that Gore probably wasn't much better this past weekend, but I wasn't asking the question about Gore, I was asking about Whiteface.

Nope I was out there. You could go anywhere. If you went on the trails they were a mess but with the protecive layering on top you could go in any direction and move right along.

Denison
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
... where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in?
Where is your spot?

Nobody mentioned Blazer's Bluff. That one scary drop off.

As for ice, I do not care much for it, but I'd be scared to take my wife and kid and find the place icy as you reported.

DUST BLASTER
03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Some people will piss and moan about anything. Sound like Matt stirring up SH** because he had a bad weekend. Someone pee in his cornflakes Saturday morning.

SKIdds
03-02-2009, 04:33 PM

I'm not buying that Gore is harder than Whiteface. I've skied both and I'll gladly admit gore has better glades but that's all it's got over Whiteface. It's not a harder mountain to ski/ride. No way.
We're talking a difference in degree of difficulty that is really splitting hairs. They both have difficult terrain, and Matt's observation about catering to different styles is true. Personally, I think Gore can claim to have slightly tougher terrain because glades, bumps and ledgy lift lines are generally harder to ski than groomed trails, regardless of how steep they are. What cranks Whitefaces difficulty is the sheer length of the steep sustained vertical. That will beat you up in a hurry. They are both tough mountains to ski, but for different reasons. Just my opinion, and there is nothing wrong with differing opinions.

highpeaksdrifter
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
... where is the spot at Whiteface that you'll look at and pause a second before you dive in?
Where is your spot?

Nobody mentioned Blazer's Bluff. That one scary drop off.

As for ice, I do not care much for it, but I'd be scared to take my wife and kid and find the place icy as you reported.

You're right Denis if Matt wants a SPOT then lets go with BB. I'm not talking about traversing across from the Lady's Tee, like the guy with his arms behind him in the background. I'm talking about jumping in straight from the top-center or skier's left. It's not long, but everybody stops at the top to take a look before they go in.

There are also places in the CS glades. In the Slides you better take a look in lots of places first or you may get hurt or worse.

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/Bluff_roger_2.jpg

CUskibum
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't think I've ever been at Whiteface on a day where BB is open. Just my luck, I guess.

I'd have to go with Upper Skyward. It may not have the greatest drop, but its steeper than a lot of other spots at Whiteface for a significantly longer distance.

Try lapping that at full speed for a couple hours without stopping. It will test what you're made of.

mattchuck2
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
To be honest, I forgot about Blazer's Bluff. I do like that drop-in. It's pretty sweet.

And I actually had a really nice weekend. Lots of Ubus, the Skeleton World Championships that I watched after I left on Saturday was sick, the big air contest was dope, and it was nice to take a break from Gore.

Jack the Ripper
03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Just think how much you'll
Enjoy all that extreme skiing
You missed at gore last weekend.
Wear a helmet when tackling that terrain.

mattchuck2
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Psshhhh . . . I don't wear a helmet!

Danger is my middle name.

snowman
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
What scares me at Whiteface? John's Bypass on a holiday Saturday! :-)
What scares me at Gore? The Straightbrook lift line on a good weekend. :-)

There are many trails at Wface that I respect.

I would like to get more time at Gore, but every time I go I get a little frustrated with the traverse over the top. Anyone else remember when the HighPeaks Chair went to the top of the mountain? Lies to Straightbook chair line to traverse over the top can take some time. Wface has Gore beat on lifts.

Either place with snow is a blast.

jimmer
03-02-2009, 08:30 PM
:idea: i like em both

Face4Me
03-02-2009, 09:04 PM

Since you've said that you were just trying to get some reactions, I'd say you've gotten them.

If you're now changing your mind, and just trying to get people's opinions on the steepest or scariest trail at Whiteface, you certainly could have posed your question in a less provocative way. To answer that question, in my opinion, I'd say skier's right on the McKenzie headwall. It's not long, but if you mess that up ... I hope you like the taste of bark. Also, skier's left on Niagara, though with the flat at the bottom, there's less reason to pause. That said, neither are "scary", they're just steep.

Jack the Ripper
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Psshhhh . . . I don't wear a helmet!

Danger is my middle name.

That's smart but I thought your middle name was something since entirely....something I can't write due to censorship.

Cliff
03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Wanna know what's really scary? ORDA!! :mrgreen:

campgottagopee
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Scary, really??? There's stuff all over that will make you pay attentionbut if your truly scared, well, stay home.

Only thing scary is PJ's running out of Ubu

Harvey44
03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Love Blazers Bluff.

That boulder in the middle of Empire last spring gave me quite a start.

evantrentful
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
you know whats really awesome about whiteface, is taking two chairs to the summit and then railing down the mountain just non stop for 3500+ ft of vertical, barely hitting a slow patch. I have yet to find that anywhere else on the East Coast, just such great flow top to bottom. you might not be scared, but your legs are gonna beg for mercy.

Denison
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
3500 might be a bit overstating it, but I've done it as a last run number of times. Scary fast!

Jack the Ripper
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
The super g course at da Face.
Ask anyone who raced it today.

03-13-2009, 09:35 AM

I don't know how I missed this one. It's like the old forum, FUN! I have skied at every major ski are in the NE, grew up skiing at Gore, drive by it almost every week and still don't go there. When I make the trip on an occasional Friday(every 5 years cause that's how long it takes to forget the pain) by noon I ask myself what I'm doing there. IMO Whiteface is the best area in the NE when the conditions are good. No other trail beat upper Cloud. There is just something about a double fall-line that I love, great feeling. Kind of like surfing on a big wave if you've ever done that. The slides are unbeatable in the NE and compare to skiing in the West and Rockies. Where can you say that you've skied down a waterfall, NO--WHERE! I agree with HPD the only thing I fear at Gore is getting stuck on a flat spot, I don't go to a ski area to skate ski.

mattchuck2
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
(post deleted)

SKIdds
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I thought of Paradise at MRG as well, but that is more of a huck or navigate a relative short waterfall in the woods situation (albeit a good size drop), as opposed to "skiing down a waterfall", if you know what I mean. On Paradise the waterfall is a very small part of a big glade, whereas a sizeable portion of Slide 1 IS the waterfall.

A bunch at Gore is similar to MRG. Drop a waterfall in the woods, but not quite the same as the Slides.

I never skied Waterfall at Stowe, but that idn't look to be much more than a huck either.

But you make a decent point.