PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday skiing at Whiteface!

adksara
02-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Not too bad... it snowed all day in bits and spurts ( I think the weather gurus would call it snow showers) The morning was awesome, the guns were out on quite a few trails, U. Thruway, U. Parkway, L Mackenzie, L. Wilderness, L. Valley, Follies and a few others...

Paron's Run was the "Trail of the Day" on the conditions... hmmmm... with a socked in summit, questionable light, and winds - we ran it toward the end of the day... not all that great.

... but Mountain Run... AWESOME... big bumps, powder, and very, very few scratcy spots - must go back tomorrow! :P

Quite a few trails got pretty icy toward the end of the day, especially around the midstation, Excelsior as usual, pretty much anywhere that saw the bulk of the skiers... U. Wilderness was SCARY ice under powder - I couldn't get an edge in a few spots and thanked the snow gods for the piles of powder.

Overall though, not a bad day - if you picked your runs, and avoided the more travelled (didn't try U. Cloudspin or Skyward - tricky light conditions made it not seem like a good idea). We're going to go back tomorrow to see... the crowds weren't too bad at all today either! There were very few moments of terror with questionable skiers heading down trails they shouldn't be on. :shock:

Hope this helps anyone who might be heading up to ski.

-ADKSara

Son of Drifter
02-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the update and please keep them coming for us weekend warriors. :twisted:

adksara
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I didn't get back up to Whiteface today... stayed closer to home and skied Gore (grumble)... a few trails were very nice with good coverage considering the general lack of snow everywhere this winter, but some of the steeps were scrapped pretty quickly and way too solid underneath.

Usually I'm a weekend warrior myself - but being on vacation this week I get to be a ski bum! :D

Keep your fingers crossed for a good ski day tomorrow!

-ADKSara

AdironRider
02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Im blowing off class tomorrow afternoon to go check it out. Hopefully itll be decent considering I wont get there till 12.

Son of Drifter
02-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Im blowing off class tomorrow afternoon to go check it out. Hopefully itll be decent considering I wont get there till 12.

Keep us posted AR. :twisted:

AdironRider
02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Just got back and it was a damn good day considering how late I got there. I didnt get on the hill till 1 by the time I finished my exam this morning. I headed right up both quads to the summit and ripped Skyward all day. Definately the pick of the day as the guns were going all day. Cloudspin was sweet until the bottom of upper cloud where it was sheer ice. Mt. Run was real good even on my last run of the day. Lower Mak was all bumps and nice. The blues on the lower mt were a little interesting with the hoards of vacationers but the expert stuff seemed mostly untouched. They were still blowing snow as I left so it should be a good weekenfd