PDA

View Full Version : I bailed

Cliff
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Weeeell, it's official, I've bailed on Gore/WF for next season. I just bought an Okemo/Stratton pass, (price same as this year and I get the rest of this season). I'll miss Gore and all the great terrain, but not the management!!! I won't miss the closings and all that related nonsense, (for example, today Gore, 37 trails, Okemo, 117!).

Admittedly, Okemo and Stratton don't offer the steeps that Gore/WF has, but I'm approaching my mid 60s, so I really don't care. I want a nice experience for my ski days and I feel that these two will give me that...we'll see. Hopefully, I'll try Gore in a couple of seasons and it'll have improved.

Oh well, life moves on and I need a change anyway.

Peace;
C

Snowballs
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
alright thats cool. not faulting you here, but do you know if those places have long lift lines? i never been there and was wondering.

highpeaksdrifter
03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
alright thats cool. not faulting you here, but do you know if those places have long lift lines? i never been there and was wondering.

To each his own, no offense to Cliff, but on weekends from my limited experience both places are zoos. It's not just the liftlines that are crowded its the trails too.

No way I trade Gore/WF for those two. Cliff mentioned he's in his 60's, maybe he's retired and can ski mid-week. I still wouldn't trade though. :wink:

Like I said to each his own.

jimmer
03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Weeeell, it's official, I've bailed on Gore/WF for next season. I just bought an Okemo/Stratton pass, (price same as this year and I get the rest of this season). I'll miss Gore and all the great terrain, but not the management!!! I won't miss the closings and all that related nonsense, (for example, today Gore, 37 trails, Okemo, 117!).

Admittedly, Okemo and Stratton don't offer the steeps that Gore/WF has, but I'm approaching my mid 60s, so I really don't care. I want a nice experience for my ski days and I feel that these two will give me that...we'll see. Hopefully, I'll try Gore in a couple of seasons and it'll have improved.

Oh well, life moves on and I need a change anyway.

Peace;
Ci think u should pen this to mgt. those places arnt that bad,goo luck

Snowballs
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
i'm glad cliff posted this. i just saw they have a midweek non holiday okemo/stratton for $300 that i'm thinking about getting. 1.5 hrs to oke, 2hrs to strat. so i'll keep the full season at gore, that's only 40 mins
they advertise southern vt. as " sunny ". i wonder if there's an improvement in the snow fall?

i could use some new trails. i bet there's more babes there too! :wink:

Cliff
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Yup...they get crowded! I've been skiing long enough to usually figure the flow and minimize the waits, (singles lines really do work). We had passes at KTon for 12 years, so we know crowds!
Yes, semi retired, (not the wife), so I can ski midweek, although Okemo is too long a drive, (2hrs), for me alone. I'll probably do Stratton by myself and may cave and buy a midweek @ Gore, (although I think the price is stiff for midweek). We'll see, maybe I'll hate it? I do know, I will not miss the half-baked way Gore is run!
C

mattchuck2
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
The worst part about skiing Stratton is being in the dark all the time and looking over and seeing Bromley basking in the sunshine. That and all the snobs.

You're right, snowballs, about the hotter chicks, though.

Harvey44
03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
...(singles lines really do work)...

Sorry for this hijack...

In February... more than once.... as a single in the Gondi line... a host (?) or someone forced me to go to the end of the main line and wait.

Honestly - it made me cranky.

Did that happen to anyone else?

Cliff you will be missed. Hope you still post.

Snowballs
03-12-2009, 04:04 PM
ok harv. what's the deal? was it gore/which lift? were you and a group of friends poaching the singles line? (done that :wink: ) did he offer any reason why?

did you protest? were others allowed to use singles line?

i'm not doubting your story. just interested in the details. you had a legit beotch.

Spongeworthy
03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
We had passes at KTon for 12 years, so we know crowds!CThe wife and I had the Bronze Pass at Killington for 2 years, and for those 2 years we skied Killington, Mount Snow, Pico and Sunday River, but not Gore.

I really missed Gore and its glades and its short lift lines for those 2 years.

You'll be back :wink:

Frostillicus
03-12-2009, 06:34 PM
That Killington (& Pico, Mt. Snow, Sunday River, Attitash, did I forget one?) Bronze Pass for $350 was SWEET! I used to have both that and the Gore/Whiteface. Just went where the snow was better...

St. Jerry
03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
...(singles lines really do work)...

Sorry for this hijack...

In February... more than once.... as a single in the Gondi line... a host (?) or someone forced me to go to the end of the main line and wait.

Honestly - it made me cranky.

Did that happen to anyone else?

Cliff you will be missed. Hope you still post.

Yes, and it pisszed me off. Long line for the gondi but no line for the singles. Woulden't let me go to the singles line and said I had to wait at the end of the regular line.

Spongeworthy
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
That Killington (& Pico, Mt. Snow, Sunday River, Attitash, did I forget one?) Bronze Pass for $350 was SWEET! I used to have both that and the Gore/Whiteface. Just went where the snow was better...We'll never a see a deal like that again.

Frostillicus
03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I imagine it's partially to blame for ASC going out of business.

Spongeworthy
03-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I imagine it's partially to blame for ASC going out of business.They knew they were going out of business before that. They needed cold hard cash up front. When everything went up for sale, that deal made sense.

Cliff
03-13-2009, 06:56 AM
FWIW, Vail is offering their Epic Pass again for next season at the same price: $579. That gets you Vail, BC, Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, and Heavenly....no blackouts. I was at Vail for a week in early Feb and it was not all that crowded. I didn't ski on Saturday, (went to Glenwood Springs to the hot pool...increadable), but Sunday wasn't bad for crowds. We did ski Copper on Tuesday and I think they had the place closed to everyone but the two of us....I've never seen a major resort so empty! Great for us, sucks for them.

Yeah, I'll probably be back. I've still got the rest of this season @ G/WF and will split with the new Okemo and Stratton pass. Just gotta get some fresh scenery.
C

hawk
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I read this thread with great interest. My wife and I are just back from Gore. We ski there at least 3 long week ends a season, Sun-Wed. The location is ideal for us being just 4.5 hours from home. We had been kicking around the thought of taking advantage of the depressed real estate market and buying a place near by. We re-evaluated and decided against it because we primarily ski midweek and it seems Gore shuts down a good bit of terrain during the week. The difference between what was available on Sunday as opposed to Monday was an eye opener. Add in the closure of Twister for racing and suddenly investing money to be closer doesn't make sense.

TomCat
01-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Looks like you made a good move. I'd be curious what your experience has been so far.

tom

skid one-one
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
:D Just think of all that horizontal skiing you'll miss. I've skied at Okemo and only took five skate steps all day and logged 35 thousand vert

jmokes
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
i tried on several occasions to use the singles line @ the gondi both solo or with a bunch of guys willing to split up. each time i was directed to the back of the main line even though the seingles line was almost empty. made absolutely no sense to me. the mountain host who directed me there was absolutely clueless + the line was 1/2 way across the bottom of arena. can't wait till some out of control, downstater wipes out 1/2 the lift line cause it's mismanaged.

Snowballs
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
This is odd. It happened to others here last year.

Yo Mokes....Did he say why? Think maybe he suspected ya'll were poaching the singles line or was he just being a PITA?

Did you feel " loved " ? :lol:

x10003q
01-13-2010, 01:41 AM
If they ran the gondola at the originally advertised 1100 ft per min there would never be a line to wait in. It now runs at 800-850ft/min.

jmokes
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
i asked the mt. host....no reasonable answer. the other thing is we weren't poaching a line, we were in line for the singles. i don't really know if it matters 1 way or the other.

Spongeworthy
01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
i asked the mt. host....no reasonable answer. the other thing is we weren't poaching a line, we were in line for the singles. i don't really know if it matters 1 way or the other.Sounds like an idiot drunk with power :evil:

In other words, the Mt. Host did it because he could do it.

Snowballs
01-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Mokes - i was just wondering if he had seen you guys in a group who then split into singles to, in his opinion "poach" the singles line and that was his reason for turning you away. that's all. that may cause others to beotch and thus be Gore's motivation. just trying to see what their motivation was.

that's all.

This happens once and awhile and it's weird for them to do it since it's the singles line is a well established practice. They did it to me years ago. i said " i don't think so... there's others in the singles line." He changed his mind. it's not that i'm a hard azz..... it was just plain unfair. I was a single and he let others in the singles line right before me. I'm not gonna stand in a half hour line when he let others use the singles line.

Like sponge said it was my impression the mtn host was a lil piss ant dishing out crap. Some people are like that. glad i got a chance to correct him! 8)

Snowballs
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
ok. never mind. i just reread you OP and it cleared it up for me.