PDA

View Full Version : Six more inches

tjf67
02-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Its stacking up this week. Should be a good weekend. I love clippers. Keep the nor easters that are just a source of dissapointment

freeheelwilly
02-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Its stacking up this week. Should be a good weekend. I love clippers. Keep the nor easters that are just a source of dissapointment

Yeah and it's snowing now.

How was utah? what did ya ski? Good snow? looked like a bit of a dryspell out there lately.

CRS1
02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Definitely looking forward to the weekend...hopefully everyone will be watching all the stuff with Empire Games and leave the moutain to the rest of us.

tjf67
02-24-2006, 09:52 AM
We went to Dear Valley the first day and Snowbird the next two days. It snowed about 15 inches while we were out there. Was going to go over to sollitude but after a day at the bird we felt no need to go anywhere else. The fist day there it was sunny. Mineral Basin is just HUGE. Took the chute right off of the tram. Had to jump a 10 footer to get in. That was scary but fun. The second day it was snowing like a banchy and it was socked in. We stayed below the clouds in the woods. Some serious stuff in there as well.

Deer Valley is the rich peoples mountain. They had granite seperators in the urinals. Joy went out in there crazy shute with me. SHe was nervous but made it threw.

Did not make it to ALta. For some reaon I dont have a warm feeling about Alta.

For convience and terrain i dont know that there is a better place to go.

freeheelwilly
02-24-2006, 12:17 PM
if you had asked I would have warned you about Deer valley. Oh well - now you know.

The 'bird is the word! no need to go to solitude - it's just good to hit when you cant get up lil' cottonwood. mineral basin is sweet for sure. I like the little cloud chair too. you just can run laps on it 1500' vert each in that really cool bowl.

alta's cool dude. not only is the terrain and snow great but it's really a skier's mountain - no posers and cheesey people. Steeped in history too. they've been skiin' up there for 70 years. just a neat place.

but let's face it - you can get 3000' of vert of the bird's tram. it's like a what, 8 minute ride? not hard to get 30000' a day in at the bird if you've got the legs for it. i always get out there and have trouble with the altitude though. I step off that top tram platform @ 11000' and it's like another world. my little east coast lungs start complaining.

highpeaksdrifter
02-24-2006, 01:50 PM
We went to Dear Valley the first day and Snowbird the next two days. It snowed about 15 inches while we were out there. Was going to go over to sollitude but after a day at the bird we felt no need to go anywhere else. The fist day there it was sunny. Mineral Basin is just HUGE. Took the chute right off of the tram. Had to jump a 10 footer to get in. That was scary but fun. The second day it was snowing like a banchy and it was socked in. We stayed below the clouds in the woods. Some serious stuff in there as well.

Deer Valley is the rich peoples mountain. They had granite seperators in the urinals. Joy went out in there crazy shute with me. SHe was nervous but made it threw.

Did not make it to ALta. For some reaon I dont have a warm feeling about Alta.

For convience and terrain i dont know that there is a better place to go.

Sounds like you had a blast. The last time I was at Snowbird they didn't have a lift in Mineral Basin. I would love to try it. I skied an afternoon at Deer Valley on the day of arrival. I'm told there is good stuff there if you know where to look, but we didn't and thought it not worth anymore of our time to find out.

tjf67
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
if you had asked I would have warned you about Deer valley. Oh well - now you know.

The 'bird is the word! no need to go to solitude - it's just good to hit when you cant get up lil' cottonwood. mineral basin is sweet for sure. I like the little cloud chair too. you just can run laps on it 1500' vert each in that really cool bowl.

alta's cool dude. not only is the terrain and snow great but it's really a skier's mountain - no posers and cheesey people. Steeped in history too. they've been skiin' up there for 70 years. just a neat place.

but let's face it - you can get 3000' of vert of the bird's tram. it's like a what, 8 minute ride? not hard to get 30000' a day in at the bird if you've got the legs for it. i always get out there and have trouble with the altitude though. I step off that top tram platform @ 11000' and it's like another world. my little east coast lungs start complaining.

My lungs were punmping qhuite a bit. It was tough

The tram is advertised to take 8 minutes but i am not sure it took that long. The thing was crazy fast.

Tsavolion
02-24-2006, 02:14 PM

25 inches plus this week. it snowed all morning..stopped now, at least in LP. the extended forcast looks like chance of snow everyday thru early next week.