PDA

View Full Version : High winds down trees, spark fire

snowman
04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/506191.html?nav=5008

"In my opinion, it was something that could have gone further if it wasn't for the quick response from the fire departments, the DEC (state Department of Environmental Conservation) and Whiteface staff." said Rand

I wonder if the gondis are put away.

Anyone know of more damage?

Face4Me
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow ... that could have been a real disaster. It's a good thing it didn't happen in the middle of the night when the fire might have gone unseen for a while longer and could have spread further!

Baldtodabone
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
The only damage done was to the power lines going to Kids Kampus. Power to that area was down for a day while crews made repairs. It most definitely could have been worse if not for all of the fire crews and Whiteface employees. I think having the fire hydrants to hook onto was also a bonus that we haven't had in years past. The fire started up toward the Kids Kampus end of the line and burned down toward the old NYSEF building. It mostly just burned leaves and stuff on the ground but there were a few trees it started to climb. I was excited there was no damage to any of our fiber optics that head up that pole line. I went down that afternoon to check things out, the firemen were packing up as I arrived. All of the volunteer fireman should get a round of applause from everyone for a great job.

highpeaksdrifter
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
All of the volunteer fireman should get a round of applause from everyone for a great job.

For sure and thanks for the update.

NPN
05-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Round of applause for sure, and throw in a round for good measure. The thought of the Palace going up in smoke is just too painful to imagine.