PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect

Harvey44
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
What is anyone hearing?

I was up this weekend and heard lots of comments from people about how it was happening. But there was an article in the paper (New Enterprise?) about how it wasn't.

Folks at snow journal have some opinions:

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic15205

Snowballs
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
i also heard it's on hold.

ah, yes. buy a new lift. have it delivered. have the money to install it and the snowmaking equipment. have the operating money.

then......

cancel the whole fudged up idea! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gotta love it.

looks like there's possibly a new lift avaliable for Hickory Mtn. maybe snow making equipment too. if Orda holds an uninstalled lift for a while, maybe they'll wanna deal.

sorry, but's it's almost as laughable as that other half baked idea.............the Snow Trains!!! hehehe.

Snowballs
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
and before anybody gets their panties in a bunch.........

NEWS FLASH: THERE IS NO SKI IN/SKI OUT CAPABILITES BETWEEN THE SKI BOWL AND GORE!!!

don't believe me?

then why would they even propose a chair lift from the base of the ski bowl to the base of the gondi? hmmmm? (inter mtn chair, lift #14)

still don't believe me?

then look at the maps they supplied. not only does it show lift #14, it also shows YOU CAN'T SKI FROM THE SUMMIT OF THE SKI BOWL BACK TO GORE!
that proposed trail has an uphill section of 80-100ft+ elevational climb! enjoy! ( hence the need for lift #14, a fixed grip 25-30 minute lift ride)

before the PR people, the apologetics, the enforcers and the outright manure hucksters regurgitate the myriad of BS offered before.... this whole project is a pig in a poke, a red herring, half baked pie in the sky, a snowball's chance in ..........

NOBODY'S gonna walk the two miles from the ski bowl to North Creek IN SKI BOOTS! DUH!

ride a shuttle?

NOBODY'S gonna take time out of their ski day to go to North Creek! DUH!

we already have connectors between Gore and North Creek. they're called roads. they're open 24/7/365 and they go ALL THE WAY INTO DOWNTOWN NORTH CREEK!

IF people wanna go to North Creek, THEY'LL GO AFTER SKIING AND THEY'LL DRIVE THEIR FREEGIN CARS THERE! DUH!

local job creation? then why do the plans have a large building labeled " dormitory for ski bowl village employees"? local hires already have a place to live, cause..... THEY LIVE HERE!

construction jobs? there's little solid evidence Front Street will ever build. now it's looking more and more like they won't. indeed, has one shovel even broken ground?

like the snow trains there's alotta amazing gullibility surrounding this project. millions were spent on the snow trains and they were supposed to be running in 2001. has anybody see one? well? where are they?

like the unicorn, THEY DON'T EXIST!!!

NPN
05-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I didn't want to waste my time signing up to correct the dude's rant over on that other board, but he seemed to forget that two million plus got pulled out of the Lookout project so Gore could finish off their kiddie building a couple of years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for each of our two great areas getting as much improvement as possible, but, in our current economic environment, we should be glad that anything is being considered.

Snowballs
05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
i watched a good bit of the Orda meeting video. besides a "hat in hand" Mike Pratt looking awfully nervous, some of the board members seem to have some serious reservations on this project-which may be just a "grandstanding posture". the main concern seemed to be will it generate enough extra capital to cover the $250,000.00 yearly operating costs that Pratt speculates it will cost TO OPERATE THE NEW LIFT. they want a financial committment mainly from Front Street to cover any financial shortfall for future years. any help from the local towns/county is also sought. they don't seem to think it will be self sufficient. they don't wanna pass any lift installation resolution until they have a financial commitment from Front Street. As the owner of the Mirror Lake Inn repeated often.....as soon as they pass the resolution to install the lift, Front Street gets a " windfall profit " on its property even if Front Street never builds. Front Street would have the only slopeside housing/accommadations in the adk's, a fact that seemed to particularly perplex him.

the general timeline for this project was stated as installing the trails and snowmaking this year and the lift next year. that may be pushed back now that it's been tabled till talks with Front Street can be held. as Pratt noted that's atleast a 2 month loss on this construction season as Orda meets every 2 months. if money can not be "extracted from Front Street ", the existing funding may be better spent installing more trails on Burnt Ridge as stated by one board member. again, probably grandstanding.

fwiw, ostensibly the trails to be installed first are on the south side and are NOT the north side trails that connect to Front Street's property. those come later.

on the bright side, revenue for last season was up an impressive 11% !!! wish Megatron was still here so i could say.." Told ya so!"

expenses have also been reduced substantially. this was accomplished by switching to propane heating for the two base lodges, less use of rented diesel aircompressors for snow making, CLOSING AREAS MIDWEEK(which Pratt says will continue!) and the abilty to make snow over more of the mtn simultaineously on the same night as " one cold night is worth a week of warmer nights ". the order of opening terrain early season will remain the gondi,topridge, straightbrook,etc....w/the Ski Bowl last to get snow made. also the Ski Bowl will close mid March.

MORE GOOD NEWS!?....

the new lift at the Bowl would be installed in the same location as the old a 1400' t-bar. this lift line was never open for skiing before. it WOULD be open in the future and Pratt claims it is as steep as Rumor's headwall!!! i don't know. it sounds suspect to me. it's hard to imagine a t-bar ascending a grade as steep as Rumor. I hope the Board members had their boots on.

therein lays my my concerns with this project. there's alot of Official BS surrounding it. the statements and reasoning offered are easily refuted. it's been my experience in such cases that the truth is concealed because it's not gonna be as stated and the people get screwed so a few may profit. what you generally end up with is a screwed up project and as Orda fears, it may not be viable. time will tell.

if it ends up being great terrain with true ski in/ski out(without mega schlepping) and IT DOESN'T CAUSE SEASON PASS /DAY TICKETS PRICES TO SKYROCKET OR LACK ENOUGH SKIERS TO STAY OPEN.........i'll be the first to say JOB WELL DONE.

Harvey44
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Hard to believe it cost $250,000 to operate a lift for a year. I guess most of that is energy and maintenance. That must include snowmaking on the trails served.

Can they really put more trails in on the BRQ pod? While we could use a "cut-over" towards the bottom...I thought most of the interior was the cirque.

Not sure exactly where the bottom of the BRQ is on the map below. Anybody know? To me it looks like...if you can get across Roaring Brook...you could ski from the top of the new lift to the bottom of BRQ. I haven't actually skied or walked Roaring...is it a major ravine? They put that HUGE culvert at the bottom of Topridge that crosses Straightbrook. Maybe it involves something like that.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq18aIq9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

PS...adding new terrain at a cost that requires closing the darkside. Grr.

adkskier
05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I believe that the $250K operational budget is for both the new lift and snow making on the associated trails. The ORDA board has a special meeting this Friday at 2pm in the Hall of Fame room at the Olympic skating facility. At that time they will continue the discussion of the lift installation and the Centerplate contract. When they last met, they intended to hold up Frontstreet for financial support. Upon further consideration (in other words...people in the know hit the directors up side the head with reality) they are expected to drop the extortion move. In fact they have not bothered to contact the developer to make their ransom demands known. Somehow the board realized that many private entities have benefited from ORDA investments and that they have never before tried to extort money from the beneficiaries (e.g. Sergei Lussi, Ed Weinbrecht). As much as Frontstreet may be the highest profile beneficiary of the interconnect, other North Creek businesses ranging from Stewart's to the Copperfield will benefit from increased skier visits and traffic closer to North Creek. A large contingent of North Creek business owners and politicians are expected to attend the meeting. While not allowed to make comments during the meeting their presence may have some effect. We may even see the chairman recognize Senator Little and/or Assemblywoman Sayward and allow them to speak. Predicted result? Trail cutting will begin before the end of May!

In other breaking news, ORDA hired a consultant who, after smoking some crack, concluded that if ORDA takes the food concession in house and increases food prices, they will make more money. This is really interesting in that other similar entertainment businesses (ballparks, race tracks) and universities have concluded that contracting out food service is the most efficient and cost effective way to go. Centerplate has done an excellent job (well far better than those who came before them) with the food at Gore and Whiteface. I'd guess that they will lose money and screw up a good thing if they take it in house. This Friday the ORDA board will decide whether to renew the Centerplate contract or not. In any event, Centerplate would be on board for one more year. Now if we could get the Tannery Lounge staff to take a trip to Whiteface for an attitude adjustment, they could improve too. Somehow they lag behind in terms of customer service and overall quality when compared to the bar at Whiteface or even the food court operation at Gore.

Danzilla
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
adkskier thanks for an update from the ground. I didn't have time to watch the video but I was floored to hear that ORDA all of a sudden wanted more money from frontstreet. Its not like this just popped up last week. This project has been in the works for years. I won't say that front street has bent over backwards but they have agreed to quite a few conditions already including buying a fire truck and building a supplemental firehouse at the ski bowl, etc. etc.. They have also worked with the town to do all the land swaps, etc. They may have even been open to contributing to the operational cost of the lift if they had been asked a year or two ago. How insane is it to demand this after the lift has already arrived? Extortion is a good word. Please give us an update on the Friday meeting when you hear something.

Harvey - Roaring Brook does have some pretty good ravines, waterfalls, etc. along it. If you have ever done the ski trip from the north quad down the pipeline trail you cross a rather substantial bridge to get over it. I am not sure if they are planning on that being a "two way" bridge or if they are going to build another bridge above or below it. It is not a bad spring/ hike up to the bridge and the north quad if you do it from the ski bowl. It will definately get your heart rate up. When you cross the bridge onto the "Gore" side there is a work road. If you go right you end up at the North Quad. If you go left I am not sure where you end up - I am assuming you would end up on the work road below the BRQ. I am not sure how they would cut that in to get you to the BRQ. I am still not sure why they didn't put the base of the BRQ about another 150 feet further down into the woods. Would have given them more pitch to work with from the lodge and I think the interconnect trail would have been easier. Who knows?

The whole ski train idea is half baked - why not just offer scheduled bus service from port authority now? Adirondak Trailways already serves the area with service from port authority and a stop in ridgewood, nj along the way. They just don't go all the way to NC (warrensburg maybe?). Why not just run a shuttle from the closest ADK Trailways stop to NC in the wintertime? Charge 15 or 20 bucks each way. The state could subsidize it and it would have saved millions on track improvements, etc.

As for the interconnect I know there are a whole bunch of haters out there and I understand your views about spending money elsewhere on the mountain, opening more, better terrain, etc. Some of the statements and projections by politicians and others are a bit overblown. The state comptroller did a fairly good analysis of the economic impact in 2004. The guy is a crook and probably had some political motivation but here is the report if you haven't seen it: http://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/mar04/031104.htm. My feeling is that the interconnect and associated development will be good, if not great for everyone from NC businesses to midweek day trip skiers. I don't think we will know how good the new trails will be until they get them built out. I do know that a very high percentage of current visitors to Gore are day trippers. They help keep the lights on but they aren't spending a ton of money (at the mountain or in town) and there aren't a whole lot of them hitting the place during the week (other than Jimmer:). Those people will for the most part continue to take a right off of PVR and ignore downtown. The more beds the area has and the more press it gets the more people will come and stay for 4 or 5 days or a week. This will mean more volume midweek which will in turn mean that they have to keep more of the mountain open. Weekends may get a little crazy, but I for one will love being able to access the mountain from North Creek instead of dealing with going up to the base. I love the idea of taking the new ski bowl lift up on a powder day and heading over the the BRQ to get first tracks on Sagamore. Even with additional visitors I don't think the mountain will get overwhelmed. Those additional people who are staying overnight will need more restaurants, shops, etc. That means more jobs (maybe for locals maybe not) and more options for visitors and locals alike. I think the added development may drive more year round events as well that will help sustain the area year round.

My 2cents

D

Harvey44
05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
:shock: Wow. Great input and info from Adkskier and Danzilla. I'm very interested in the future of North Creek and I really appreciate the time you both took to lay it out. To me...it's really hard to care about the people and town of NC without wanting this to go through. Yeah it may make Gore more like every other mountain in VT, but the economic benefit could really be big. You gotta want that for your people.

Would really appreciate the cliff notes on Fridays 2pm meeting.

Love the image of North Creek business leaders sitting silently in the meeting, but making their presence known.

I also love the image of Danzilla (or me!) snagging some long powder runs down Sagamore, with his car in the lot at the ski bowl. (Are they going to add parking down there?)

Again guys...thanks.

EDIT: By this map...it looks like the trail crosses Roaring Brook around the "R" in "restricted" in the topo I posted above:

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1mR9yJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1mR9yJ)

adkskier
05-07-2009, 09:06 PM
By the way...any of you can watch or listen to the ORDA board meeting on the web. Go to orda.org and find the link to board meetings. The Friday meeting should be live.
As of 1pm, the ORDA website is off line, but go to http://www.totalwebcasting.com/view/?id=nysorda to access the show oops I mean meeting! :lol:

highpeaksdrifter
05-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I heard Gore got 2 million for the interconnect.

adkskier
05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
The money has been there for some time. The ORDA board released the money for installation of the ski bowl lift, trail cutting and installation of associated snow making.

Snowballs
05-10-2009, 04:26 PM
http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/Map_2_-_SEIS_Project_Relation_Map.pdf

this map, supplied by Front Street, et al.......shows the locations of the cross mtn chair-lift # 14 and the connector trail the runs from the Ski Bowl back to BRQ.

lift # 14 is a transportation lift ONLY. it DOES NOT leave a skier atop any trails. notice how long it is.......35% longer than the Gondi! at rates achieved by fixed grip lifts this would be a 25-30 minute ride.

the connector trail might look do-able AT THE MAGNIFICATION that it opens in. if you increase the magnification to 100% or more then click and drag to see the trail crossing Roaring Brook you'll see the elevational difficulties....aka uphill! this is followed by a flat section. the topo lines are tight at this stream's location which means steep stream banks, etc. this is easiest to see in the original magnification or on the first map posted by Harv in this thread. a bridge will be needed to cross this stream.

just some FYI.

Harvey44
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I thought Gondi to Nowhere was out of the plan. (?)

Danzilla - way cool avatar.

adkskier
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
The gondola to no place has been off the table for years.

Snowballs
05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
who said anything about that gondi? hmmm? NOBODY! that lift was to go to the summit of Gore mtn.

cross mtn chair #14 is a different lift, still proposed. it's only needed/proposed because they know there's no ski in/ski out between the two areas. why else would THIS LIFT even be needed/proposed? see, it leaves you at the bottom of the mtns aka you can't ski from it. therefore, it's only purpose is to transport people between the two areas cause you can't ski in/ski out. the powers that be are aware of this.....that's why they proposed this lift.

i suspect the PR people are trying to muddy the water to cloud other people's view. best get the boots on.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
The gondola to no place has been off the table for years.

I guess it's been replaced by the quad to nowhere?

Snowballs
05-11-2009, 11:57 AM
..........it should also be noted that although ORDA recently passed the resolution to go ahead with the project, they inserted language that permits them to...."delay, revise or suspend" the area's operation. this language was unaminously approved. no it wasn't Lussi or Weibrecht who inserted this language.

ORDA seems to have it's doubts about the viablitiy of this project.

Jeff
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
If the proposed cross-mountain lift #14 is installed with a mid-station that allowed unloading in both directions at the BRQ, it would eliminate the necessity for skiers to endure the flatness of the Cedars approach to BRQ and would integrate the BRQ terrain better with the rest of the mountain. Additionally, a return to the BRQ from the Pipeline trail will be a major improvement in integrating Burnt Ridge with the rest of the mountain, assuming the elevational difficulties pointed out previously can be worked out where it crosses Roaring Brook. That return to BRQ would mean that a skier could get to the BRQ from the top of just about any other lift on the mountain without going through the base area and utilizing Cedars. Wouldn't have to endure the falts below Windy Hill either. And as long as the cross-mountain lift was running, skiers could be provided access to the Darskide and North terrain without the necessity of running those lifts, although a 15 to 20 minute fixed-grip ride from the ski bowl back to the base area is a pretty stiff penalty. That penalty could be avoided if the BRQ was kept running when the High Peaks chair and North Quad are shut down. I think Gore needs to be very sensitive towards the issues of 1) improving access to the BRQ and integrating BR with the rest of the mtn, 2) not adding any more flats anywhere on the mtn and 3) finding ways they can save costs with mid-week lift closures that don't also result in significant terrain closures.

Harvey44
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Somebody help me, I'm feeling rather stupid.

I know that, at one time, there was a lift that connected the base of the ski bowl and the current base. (That's what I was calling the Gondi to Nowhere.) To me it looks like that lift had been axed - in the most recent plan.

On the aerial photo that came from skibowlvillage.com (front street website) that I posted above....I don't see the lift that connects the bases on that plan - which is what made me think that that lift was no longer in the plan.

It looks like you ride to the top of the new ski bowl lift and ski down (or over or up) to the bottom of BRQ.

What am I missing? Which is lift #14? Are there really two more lifts going in or only one?

I only see one additional lift planned.

Snowballs
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
a few years ago i rode the gondi w/Mr. frontstreet. as he went on and on about his plans he told me about the "approved gondi" they plannned to install from the ski bowl base to the very summit of Gore. that was straight from the horse's mouth.

if you really wanted to see it Harv, you would click on the link i provided that takes you to the SEIS submitted by Front Street. these are the OFFICAL PLANS.

every time we talk about this, you say you don't see it, it doesn't exist, it won't open. well click on that link. are you just trying to confuse the situation?

here ya go:

http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/Map_2_-_SEIS_Project_Relation_Map.pdf

After you see lift # 14, enlarge it to 100% or more, then click and drag the map to where the interconnect trail crosses Roaring Brook to see the "elevational difficulties". they're real.

skimore
05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
And as long as the cross-mountain lift was running, skiers could be provided access to the Darskide and North terrain without the necessity of running those lifts, although a 15 to 20 minute fixed-grip ride from the ski bowl back to the base area is a pretty stiff penalty. .

Yeah right.....a 2hr lap for 350vert on the darkside....the rest of that ski would be a bore at best.....who the f is going to do that

Snowballs
05-11-2009, 11:49 PM
HOO BOY! check this out. incoming.........

http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/liftsInterconnect.pdf

that's a document titled ....Statement of Findings.

paragraph 3, second sentence....................This interconnect consists of the proposed ski trails and lifts identified as lifts #12 and #14 and trails #12-b through #12-j.............

Wait. It gets better.

same paragraph, fourth sentence..............As can be seen on the maps in Appendix 1 of this SEIS, the interconnect will allow visitors to Gore Mountain and Ski Bowl to ski or walk to the Hamlet of North Creek.........

WOW! Isn't that going to be a most amazing feat! It's like what, one and a half miles - one way from the bottom of the Ski Bowl to North Creek businesses! It's basically flat, except for the uphill part. And the half where you get to ski on the asphalt will be popular. Right up there with a nice long walk in ski boots!

I can't wait to see this Parade of Patronage. I'll be posting it on YouTube and handing out bottles of Merlot.

http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/

A link to Gore's page containing links to various parts of the SEIS.

The aboved mentioned Statement of Findings is the second link.
The map showing the lifts and trails is the sixth link.

true ski in/ ski out from the Ski Bowl to Gore and now the Ski Bowl to downtown North Creek is the proverbial "missing link!". :lol: nyuk nyuk nyuk

Harvey44
05-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Snowballs...I wasn't trying to cause trouble, and I'm sorry if we've had this conversation before. I must be getting senile. One thing I do remember is trying to download that pdf. I get about the top inch of it and it stops.

I was able to look at the one called "map 3." Honestly I thought that was an older plan that had been abandoned. It does have some errors on it that made me think it was preliminary. And Ted Blazer made some comments last summer in that online question and answer thing that made me think the intermountain lift was being rethought. I'll take your word for it that that is the most recent plan. I don't understand why front street shows a different plan on their website. That seems odd.

One thing I wasn't getting that I now see is how you'd get back to the ski bowl. If you didn't take the intermountain lift....you'd have to take the Roaring Brook trail...which I assume is the pipeline trail...I've heard that that is more suited to xc skis than alpine.

Honestly I was not trying to be a jerk. I thought a different plan was the most recent. I'll let it go.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-12-2009, 07:56 AM
The Statement of Findings is dated September 17, 2008, and comments on Figure 1-1 of the 2005 UMP. Unless there's been a change since September, it looks like what was proposed in 2005 is going to be implemented?

St. Jerry
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.wptz.com/video/19432688/index.html

Jason in CP
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Article dated from yesterday:

http://www.wnbz.com/May%202009/051109/GoreInterconnectApproved.htm

Adk Keith
05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Snowballs...I wasn't trying to cause trouble, and I'm sorry if we've had this conversation before. I must be getting senile. One thing I do remember is trying to download that pdf. I get about the top inch of it and it stops.

I was able to look at the one called "map 3." Honestly I thought that was an older plan that had been abandoned. It does have some errors on it that made me think it was preliminary. And Ted Blazer made some comments last summer in that online question and answer thing that made me think the intermountain lift was being rethought. I'll take your word for it that that is the most recent plan. I don't understand why front street shows a different plan on their website. That seems odd.

One thing I wasn't getting that I now see is how you'd get back to the ski bowl. If you didn't take the intermountain lift....you'd have to take the Roaring Brook trail...which I assume is the pipeline trail...I've heard that that is more suited to xc skis than alpine.

Honestly I was not trying to be a jerk. I thought a different plan was the most recent. I'll let it go.

How dare you try and understand the facts, Harv !! You should know better... :wink:

At least your posts aren't 98% negative.

kornfein
05-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I was at Gore a day a few years ago when they offered a ski to the North Creek Ski bowl via what is now called the Pipeline trail. It has been a while but from what i remember is was not as flat as Ceders (I know that is not saying a lot). Also we went by the snow making pond getting to and from the pond was the flat section but I think that they may have just wanted to show us the pond and you could have gotten around it without doing that part.

Is the North Creek ski bowl really 1 1/2 miles from downtown North Creek as someone stated? i had the impression it was only a couple of blocks?

Also on the trail from the ski bowl to BRQ based on the topo contour lines it looks better than Ceders except for where you go over the creek. Hard to tell how bad that will be until they build it.

highpeaksdrifter
05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I was at Gore a day a few years ago when they offered a ski to the North Creek Ski bowl via what is now called the Pipeline trail. It has been a while but from what i remember is was not as flat as Ceders (I know that is not saying a lot). Also we went by the snow making pond getting to and from the pond was the flat section but I think that they may have just wanted to show us the pond and you could have gotten around it without doing that part.

I did one of the tours back then too. It was a Fri. afternoon and they took a group picture when we got to the Ski Bowl that they posted on the Gore website. Was that the day you where there?

I've never skied Ceders, but I thought the Pipeline was pretty flat. There was one part toward the end you could make a couple of turns on if you wanted to though.

Spongeworthy
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I was at Gore a day a few years ago when they offered a ski to the North Creek Ski bowl via what is now called the Pipeline trail. It has been a while but from what i remember is was not as flat as Ceders (I know that is not saying a lot). Also we went by the snow making pond getting to and from the pond was the flat section but I think that they may have just wanted to show us the pond and you could have gotten around it without doing that part.Pipeline is the solution.

You go down Pipeline (go left at the first fork) to the pond; turn right at the pond (don't go over the path past the pond); keep going and look for the BRQ thru the trees on your right; you're gonna have to step off the trail and across the brook (not even a foot wide in the winter) and thru the trees -- but it IS doable. If they smooth out the very last part, it will be a better way to get to Burnt Ridge. And if they don't smooth it out, the gapers won't do it :lol:

adkskier
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Just a couple of observations from some postings:
There was never a proposed gondola to connect the Ski Bowl to the summit of Gore. The only other gondi ever proposed connected the base of the Ski Bowl to the existing Gore base area. The cross mountain lift (in any format) remains an outdated pipe dream.

As to the language added to the resolution approving installation (stating that ORDA could discontinue operation, etc.), that was to pacify someone. The fact is that ORDA management already has that authority. They already make decisions about which lifts not to operate on which days of the week. Just more politics as usual.

Jeff
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I too admit to being somewhat confused. Exactly which lift(s) have been approved for construction: the interconnect lift between the Ski Bowl base and Gore Mountain base, or the lift at the Ski Bowl to the top of Little Gore, or both? And, is it definitely confirmed that both would be fixed grip chairs? The two maps we have been looking at in this thread (the Gore Mtn SEIS map #2 referenced by Snowballs and the skibowlvillage.com map referenced by Harvey) each have some inconsistencies with each other and with the reality of what's on the ground. Can someone give a definitive answer as which lift(s) we're talking about?

mattchuck2
05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
As far as I know, this is still the plan:

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album22/Map_1_SEIS_Site_Location_Map.jpg

Pink Part in all in by next year (except for the stuff to the top of the old Gondi midstation), new lift runs to the top of the pink trails going to the ski bowl. Pipeline is in White, going down to the ski bowl from the North Quad base.

mattchuck2
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
The above would be pretty sweet because the green area (marked "proposed ski bowl trails") has some killer terrain (from what I've heard) that will be available and skiable with a short hike.

Harvey44
05-13-2009, 09:02 PM
As usual good stuff from Matt. The stuff in green, spans two topos...but looks like some of the steepest stuff at Gore outside of Rumor, Lies etc. Is the green area slated for the following year? Even if they never cut trails on it...the terrain will be there.

When I look at that whole map it's pretty exciting. I've always felt that Gore had a lot to offer when it's all open. The potential....when all of this is done....

Guys like skimore will lament the loss of some terrain. And I get that. But those guys will continue to move out as the lifts do. It's going to be a huge playground. A lot of it is hardwoods.

Yea, it's a bit of a trudge to get to BRQ on alpine gear. But last year when I headed over to BRQ later in the day... I remember thinking....WOW here's a whole 'nother thing to do.

I think the opportunity to make fresh tracks on a powder day is going to be expanded for those who know what they are doing.

As Adrian Belew once said " I LIKE IT!"

Snowballs
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
ok don't cha get all mad at the messenger but ......

the map Matt posted is the same as the one i posted but ALL THE LIFTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED! as such, what does it prove? if we are to take it as evidentary, then that means no lifts are to be installed?

why are they all missing? was it photoshopped? No, Matt simply posted the wrong one. it happens.

No worries! the one that shows the LIFTS AND TRAILS is avaliable right from the Gore web site! http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/ it's link #6. that's information straight from the Official Source.

even easier.............here's a direct link! http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/Map_2_-_SEIS_Project_Relation_Map.pdf

Adkskier: are you a Decision Maker on this project? you make statements contrary to the existing record established by the real Decision Makers and their written reports. do you have anything more than speculation and rumor to back it up or is it just quoting Jimmer's friend the janitor? sorry, but unless you are an actual Decision Maker on this project or supply some corroborating evidence, your conclusions lack the weight of the Official record.

you guys talking about skiing the pipline trail - North Quad down to the bridge and a left takes you to the Ski Bowl and a right takes you to BRQ - that's fine and dandy. But, just to be clear, it's got NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RETURN/CONNECTOR TRAIL FROM THE SKI BOWL TO BRQ. That return/connector trail crosses Roaring Brook well BELOW the pipeline trail bridge, approximately a 1/4 mile DOWNSTREAM from the pipeline trail bridge. IT'S REALLY EASY TO SEE ( AND MEASURE! ) ON FRONT STREET'S MAP. http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/Map_2_-_SEIS_Project_Relation_Map.pdf

furthermore, enlarge it in your acrobat reader to 100%, click and drag to stream crossing to see elevational difficulties.

any returning skier wishing NOT to use the returning/connector trail would have to ski UP the pipeline trail 1/4 mile or so, ski across the bridge then over to BRQ via the Gore side of Roaring Brook. If you guys weren't discussing the return route from the Ski Bowl to BRQ, then i apologize.

again, this har' thang is Front Street's map. http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/Map_1_-_SEIS_Site_Location_Map.pdf it's dated january 4, 2008. IT'S REALLY EASY TO SEE WHAT I'VE DISCUSSED!!! REEAAAALLYYY EASY!!! :wink:

Matt posted a map from the SEIS that shows the "Site Location" in general. it's on the Gore site also. it's link # 5. http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/ 1/07/08

the map supplied by Front Street TO SHOW THE LIFTS in the SEIS is on the Gore site also. it's link # 6. http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/ dated 1/04/08.

here's a direct link. http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/Map_2_-_SEIS_Project_Relation_Map.pdf

Simple and CORROBORATED.

Glad i could clear this up.

Snowballs
05-14-2009, 12:28 AM
..........and to get one step ahead of the spin cycle.....

any plans to use the pipeline trail to the Ski Bowl and it's spur to BRQ to develope skier movement for the success of the interconnect are forgeting a HUGE factor.

THERE'S NO SNOWMAKING ON THESE LONG TRAILS!!!

I've been down that loooooong lame trail. it's very narrow. 10-12 ft? on the top half. the spur to BRQ prolly same way. not only does it suck, any amount of skier traffic will ski off the natural snow in minutes and the trails will be useless. then what?

i read on Gore's site in the last few weeks, that the Sagamore Snowmaking addition will require a mile and a half(?) of pipe. they're gonna have to more than double that to cover the pipeline trail and the BRQ spur. that might even not include the air pipe or any additional air compressor capacity.

WHO'S GOT THE CASH FOR THAT?

Indeed, in it's return from the Ski Bowl, the connector trail links up to the BRQ spur for a substantial distance.

IF THERE'S NO SNOWMAKING - THERE'S NO CONNECTION !

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-14-2009, 06:09 AM
IF THERE'S NO SNOWMAKING - THERE'S NO CONNECTION !

Is that what the interconnect lift #14 is for, then?

adkskier
05-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Some of you are taking outdated maps of what had been previously proposed and attributing official status to them. The fact that a map appears on a website does not make it accurate and official. What may have been accurate when posted, may not be accurate today. A number of concepts have been floated out there and may have even been included in the Gore UMP (unit management plan). While they look good, they may never be built unless funded. The UMP is updated every five years. As priorities change, future development projects move up and down the priority list.

The lift that was just approved will run from the base of the Ski Bowl to the top of the Ski Bowl following (more or less) the old T-bar lift line. The installation funding includes trail development and snow making installation in the Ski Bowl and the connecting trail.

...no my source is not "the janitor" and I do not deal in rumors...but the discussion is a lot of fun!

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-14-2009, 08:24 AM
The lift that was just approved will run from the base of the Ski Bowl to the top of the Ski Bowl following (more or less) the old T-bar lift line. The installation funding includes trail development and snow making installation in the Ski Bowl and the connecting trail.

Actually, if you read the letter from the DEC (http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/CoverLetter.pdf), trails 12b-12j and lifts #12 and #14 (i.e., the base area to ski bowl lift) were approved.

I don't know if there's funding for lift #14, though. I *think*, but am not sure, that the lift that was purchased was lift #12.

Aaaaah, your tax dollars at work! Who knows what the hell is going on?? (Just poking fun at how confusing all these reports are, NOT trying to be political.)

Harvey44
05-14-2009, 09:03 AM
OK so I'm not totally senile, or at least THIS doesn't prove that I am. :lol: It's good to know someone else is also confused.

Even though Matt's map doesn't have lifts on it...if those purple trails in the area marked "proposed gore mountain interconnect" are going to be cut...wouldn't lift #12 have to be in play?

Every thing I've seen lately has mentioned the addition of a "lift" (singular). If the only lift going is the intermountain #14 then there wouldn't be any additional terrain right?

Maybe it's one lift now and one later.

I sent Mike P an email asking him...autoreply says he is out of the office til 5/26.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
OK so I'm not totally senile, or at least THIS doesn't prove that I am. :lol: It's good to know someone else is also confused.

Even though Matt's map doesn't have lifts on it...if those purple trails in the area marked "proposed gore mountain interconnect" are going to be cut...wouldn't lift #12 have to be in play?

Every thing I've seen lately has mentioned the addition of a "lift" (singular). If the only lift going is the intermountain #14 then there wouldn't be any additional terrain right?

Maybe it's one lift now and one later.

I sent Mike P an email asking him...autoreply says he is out of the office til 5/26.

yeah, i have no idea.

it *seems* like the interconnect is BOTH lift #14 and the purple trails/lift #12. since it seems that they have lift #12 purchased (?), i'd guess that it and the purple trails will go in first and then maybe lift #14 will go in around the time the real estate starts going in at the ski bowl (assuming the project gets going)?

since they are playing up the snowmaking on sagamore and not talking up lift #12 or the interconnect (http://www.goremountain.com/mountain/improvements.cfm), maybe the purple trails and lift #12 are for the 2010-2011 season?

Snowballs
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Actually, if you read the letter from the DEC (http://www.goremtn.com/SEIS/press/CoverLetter.pdf), trails 12b-12j and lifts #12 and #14 (i.e., the base area to ski bowl lift) were approved.

I don't know if there's funding for lift #14, though. I *think*, but am not sure, that the lift that was purchased was lift #12.

Aaaaah, your tax dollars at work! Who knows what the hell is going on?? (Just poking fun at how confusing all these reports are, NOT trying to be political.)

exactly. "oh what tangled webs they weave when they pratice to deceive....." there's legitmate issues with this project that even a simple cross examination readily exposes. perhaps they had too many YES men and 'TWO HANDED SHOVELERS" involved. best keep the boots on.

as i said earlier, if this turns out to be legitimate terrain, w/true ski in and ski out(without MEGA SCHLEPPING) and it doesn't cause prices to skyrocket and IT HAS ENOUGH SKIERS TO STAY OPEN.......... i'll be applauding and saying " good job".

even better. when harv, adkskier et al, come skiing down the asphalt into downtown North Creek leading that promised Parade of Patrons, i'll be handing out bottles of Merlot and offering photo-ops with the Unicorn! I'll post the video on YouTube. as a bonus, i'll even include a clip of that " Extremely Popular " lift they already installed at the Ski Bowl-the Village Chair. what a freegin ghost town that thing is! the only place you could possibly see more rabid support would be to drive up the Northway a little further to a place called Frontier Land. hehehe.(It's closed!).

while I'm at it......who's the genius who laid out the Village Chair installation at the Ski Bowl? the Bottom 2/3's is Flat! Yes Sir.....that's some wisdom. they even had the intellect to install a Quad to serve their non existing customers. brilliant! this is the same crowd that's bringing us this next phase of development. HOO BOY!

Wait! i could ride their non existing Snow Train up to witness this miracle.hehehe, Yea, i am LMAO! Oh, look! there's a Unicorn. It's on the Snow Train!!!

when i took my kids to the Village Chair to learn to ski, the very top was too much for them and unless they could bomb it - they end up walking! if you make any turns, you'll be walking! what a concept! we left after 2 runs. as we exited past the lifties, my 5 yro stated " This place sucks!". out of the mouths of babes!

I'm guess i'm gonna have to keep refuting their fallicies. for as that Wise Sage said earlier in this thread...." the PR people, the Apologetics, the Enforcers and the outright manure Hucksters........" are shoveling with both hands. they can't refute the corroborated points i raise with verifiable evidence, so they'll strive to muddy the waters and cloud people's vision, thus hiding the issues and possible Achilles's heel in their plans.

ok. Here goes...........

Snowballs
05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Comeback......let me say i do not view you as one of the aforementioned "PR people......" i'll deal with them later.

but i do have an answer for you.

as stated by Mike Pratt at the April ORDA meeting, http://www.totalwebcasting.com/view/?id=nysorda , lift #12 and the trails south of it(towards Gore) are going to be installed. the trails and snowmaking to be installed this season and lift #12 installed next season. i have yet to see an exact trail count receiving snowmaking capabilities.

that's a verifiable reference.(ADKskier take note. learn to use one.)

The other trails and lift #14 are in the future, still in the Official plans. Regardless of what ADKskier "pronounces", these Official plans are avaliable for us to read and are still in effect.

Harvey44
05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like that's the answer...We'll do this part now (Lift 12) and maybe will do Lift 14 and maybe we won't.

Maybe they want to judge the uproar on the "connection" first. Will the whining be worse than BRQ/Cedars?

when harv ... come(s) skiing down the asphalt into downtown North Creek...

I never said I thought the lift or lifts would bring more business downtown. You can look it up. I didn't look it up but you could. :lol:

Actually I do think the extra terrain should bring SOME business downtown, but not nearly as much as if it was ski in ski out.

Skibowl Cafe could score right away. Lots of really cheap daily lockers at the skibowl might encourage some others to make the walk.

I guess I was going with the concept that more terrain is always good.

This could make Gore an even better skiers mountain. It may or may not be the wisest expenditure of money bang for the buckwise.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2009/5/13/ORDA-Votes-to-Proceed-with-North-Creek-Ski-Bowl-Link-to-Gore-Mountain/

mattchuck2
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, I stand corrected . . . I guess I'm going to so with snowballs as my solid source on this one (after all, he was at the meeting).

But I'm going to ignore all his speculation and wide eyed prognostications for now. I'm still not convinced that the world will explode if they link the Ski Bowl to the Village of North Creek (however it is that they decide to do that).

skimore
05-15-2009, 12:19 AM
But I'm going to ignore all his speculation and wide eyed prognostications for now. I'm still not convinced that the world will explode if they link the Ski Bowl to the Village of North Creek (however it is that they decide to do that).

I agree. Very few went into town before and none of this makes it any more appealing. 95% of the people headed there come from the other direction. No one drives by and says lets go there after skiing. You can't even see the village. It's a bad setup for the town and nothing is going to change that.....except for 500" of snow

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-15-2009, 02:46 AM
this thread is informative, yes, but pretty funny....snowballs' anger cracks me up! :lol:

highpeaksdrifter
05-15-2009, 09:16 AM

I agree. Very few went into town before and none of this makes it any more appealing. 95% of the people headed there come from the other direction. No one drives by and says lets go there after skiing. You can't even see the village. It's a bad setup for the town and nothing is going to change that.....except for 500" of snow

I've always thought the town of North Creek needs to give skiers at Gore a reason to go there. LP is 10 miles from WF.

I'm not saying North Creek should put in a bobsled run and jumps :wink: I'm just saying maybe make the place look a little nicer for tourest, then maybe more businesses would open and it would snowball (no pun intended) from there.

I really hope the interconnect works out as planned. I'd hate to see all that money spent on something that is a bust.

Denison
05-15-2009, 09:49 AM
North Creek:

Having Alpine Lodge and Copperfield back is a big plus, since vacationers will be back in town for night. I wish the Ski Shop would open in North Creek, it would fill the void, add healthy competition to Gore shop and invite additional crowds to town.

Ski Bowl:

It is very low key and underrated. We love snowtubing there and I'm excited about upgrade to their lodge. Skiing right now at Ski Bowl is good for novice / 3-5 year old kids, interconnect whenever it happens will expand on it and add additional opportunities on how to plan one's ski day.

Snowballs
05-15-2009, 10:59 AM
i'm not angry. just cutting through the BS. somethings need to be typed in Caps to get through to some people.

here's somethings ya'll need to keep in mind if you unreservedly support this project.

IF the Ski Bowl Village and the interconnect are a success.........

the lift lines at Gore will become veeery long. ya know, like in VT. you'll get to wait a 1/2 hour or more just to get on a lift. after that you'll get the treat of very crowded slopes. enjoy. the days of ski right up and hop right on any lift WILL BE GONE! it won't be just weekends either. the same people giving me grief, will then be on here bitching, moaning and the lamenting the old days.

IF the Ski Bowl Village is a success........

the North Creek Merchants supporting this project in hopes of getting more business may be cutting their own financial throat. wouldn't that be ironic ? Besides housing, the Ski Bowl Village includes hotels, restaurants, a golf course, plenty of RETAIL SPACE, a convience store, spa, a Lodge with a bar and more. why then, would any people brought in by this project have to go to downtown North Creek? a few might wander down there, but the majority could have all their needs met right at the Ski Bowl Village. that's the idea behind such a developement and why people pay big bucks to live there. it's all inclusive, you can have all your needs met without ever leaving the grounds. it's gonna be the old run down buildings in downtown North Creek vs. brand spankin new Adirondack style buildings at the Ski Bowl Village that the residents can just walk to! Gee, i wonder who's gonna win that contest?

if it's successful, the Ski Bowl Village stands a very good chance of supplanting downtown North Creek.

Harvey44
05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
IF the Ski Bowl Village and the interconnect are a success.........

the lift lines at Gore will become veeery long. ya know, like in VT. you'll get to wait a 1/2 hour or more just to get on a lift. after that you'll get the treat of very crowded slopes. enjoy. the days of ski right up and hop right on any lift WILL BE GONE!

SB - I think you are right about that. I hope not. But it's hard not to see how it works out otherwise. (I never understand skiers who want more parking.)

Lots more parking with very little additional terrain. While I think it will be a long time before the trees are "crowded" ... lifts are going to be a pinch point. Just have to get up earlier and move faster. Eventually retire back to the BC.

adkskier
05-16-2009, 08:01 AM
To the credit of Mike Pratt, the Gore lines have been well managed. Those who have skied Gore for a long time have watched the development of lifts and trails. Some people don't like the location of the gondola or the Summit double that doesn't reach the summit, but when one looks at it more objectively it becomes clear that these trail locations (except for Cedars which is just plain stupid) serve a planned purpose of distributing skiers around the mountain to minimize lift lines. Yeah, they can get long during the big holidays for just a few days a season, but overall Gore has quick lines. Even with the expansion of the ski bowl, it's going to be a very long time before Gore and North Creek offer enough amenities to compete with the real destination resorts. I think that those of us who enjoy the solitude of Gore will be pleasantly surprised at how little will change and we'll be thrilled with the little improvements that those who live at other ski areas have taken for granted for the last 20 years! The interesting thing about Gore skiers is that we've come to expect so little (outhouses) that the addition of little things like rubber flooring in a bathroom (so that we don't fall on our asses) impresses us.

Snowballs
05-17-2009, 04:26 PM
North Creek:

I wish the Ski Shop would open in North Creek, it would fill the void, add healthy competition to Gore shop

what about Cunningham's Ski Barn in NC or Beaver Brook Outfitters( pete's wicked nice) in chestertown if you need a tune or gear?

or is it Weavertown? that would make it ..........Weave it to Beaver ! nyuk nyuk nyuk.

and which of us guys don't enjoy a trip to Beavertown? :lol:

Harvey44
05-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I got this today from Mike Pratt:

QUESTION...the interconnect....I had assumed that it was going to be completed by running a lift to the top of the skibowl..where the original Tbar was.

MIKE'S ANSWER: You are correct. From the top of Little Gore, you will be able to ski down to the Burnt Ridge Quad.

QUESTION: Or is it happening with what was called lift #14....a lift that connects the bottom of the ski bowl and the base at Gore? Or both?

MIKE'S ANSWER: This is a future, market driven, concept. We believe that eventually a two way loading transfer lift (gondola) will be appropriate for year round use.

Also on the issue of the retail space in the Ski Bowl competing with local businesses...wouldn't business at the Bowl also be local business? Or could they be?

Snowballs
05-18-2009, 11:17 AM

QUESTION...the interconnect....I had assumed that it was going to be completed by running a lift to the top of the skibowl..where the original Tbar was.

MIKE'S ANSWER: You are correct. From the top of Little Gore, you will be able to ski down to the Burnt Ridge Quad.

QUESTION: Or is it happening with what was called lift #14....a lift that connects the bottom of the ski bowl and the base at Gore? Or both?

MIKE'S ANSWER: This is a future, market driven, concept. We believe that eventually a two way loading transfer lift (gondola) will be appropriate for year round use.

Also on the issue of the retail space in the Ski Bowl competing with local businesses...wouldn't business at the Bowl also be local business? Or could they be?

anybody care to add their .02 worth on this before i fillet it?

not faulting you harv.

tjf67
05-18-2009, 11:36 AM

I dont read this board much but wnadered over this morning. I dont understand snoballs haten on what is going to happend down in NC. GEEZ why dont you shut up or build you own resort and show them how it is done. All your know it allness is just sickeneing.

Snowballs
05-18-2009, 12:03 PM

I dont read this board much but wnadered over this morning. I dont understand snoballs haten on what is going to happend down in NC. GEEZ why dont you shut up or build you own resort and show them how it is done. All your know it allness is just sickeneing.

what the hell was that? more gibberish! tjf67 that make even less sense than the other BS posted on here. You can't refute the corroboratted valid points i raised so you attack me personally. that's a sure sign of a loser in the debate. sorry, but you lack sufficient IQ to call me a hater.

you tell me to shut up or build my own resort......how about this hot shot........how about you write a check to pay for the project(or cover it's shortfalls) or go back to school until you're smart enough to raise a valid point......until then.......SHUT UP! u da hater.

Snowballs
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
yo harv, i noticed the word gondola is in parenthesis............is gondola something you added or did Mike Pratt say it ?

thank you.

ka2kci
05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
The idea of a transfer lift makes no sense to be (both practically or economically). Why not put in a lift to the top of Pete Gay (or little Pete Gay) Mountain and open up some terrain in there. Why anybody would want to take a gondola from the snow bowl to the base of gore with no real additional terrain available is beyond me. What a waste of money and effort! Matt

Harvey44
05-19-2009, 07:15 AM
yo harv, i noticed the word gondola is in parenthesis............is gondola something you added or did Mike Pratt say it ?

Those are Mike's words including the word (gondola). If those were my words I'da said Gondi. :lol:

"This is a future, market driven, concept. We believe that eventually a two way loading transfer lift (gondola) will be appropriate for year round use. "

He has carefully worded his response.

My guess at the meaning: This may or may not happen. When he said WE, I think he's talking Gore management. Just because something is "appropriate" doesn't mean it will get funded. It just means they think it would be a good idea.

If you haven't seen it - check out the link to the FTO article I posted on the top of page 4 of this thread. It references ORDA funding 2.2 million of the $5 million project. My guess is the remaining unfunded 2.8 is for lift #14.

If so, it looks like everyone was basically right. Where is Rodney King when you need him?

Snowballs
05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
just checking, harv. it's pays to check things.

thanks. i'll be back

Jeff
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Sounds like lift 14 would be similar in concept to the Slide Brook lift that connects the Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen base areas at Sugarbush or the transfer lift between the Mt Mansfield and Spruce Peak base areas at Stowe. I beleive it is not possible to ski directly between the 2 bases at each of those two resorts, hence the transfer lifts. Slide Brook is a high speed quad, the Stowe transfer lift is an open stand-up gondi (6 or 8 pass) as I recall. Mike Pratt's wording sounds closer to the Stowe lift style, although the distance the lift would travel is probably more similar to Slide Brook. This makes sense in the context of the ski bowl eventually being developed into a significant second base area at Gore. Without a lift like #14, a skier based out of the ski bowl would have to take the new lift #12 up Little Gore and then the BRQ to access the main base area and lifts/terrain accessible from there. That's just not very practical, esp with lift #12 being a fixed grip chair. Again, that's all assuming that the ski bowl is eventually developed into a significant base area, hence Mike Pratt's careful wording as Harv points out. Also, I'll pitch my idea again of having a mid-station unload at BRQ on the interconnect lift #14 -- I think that would enhance the linkup.

Just my 2cents.

highpeaksdrifter
05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
SKIADK has never had a thread go 100 posts. I think this one might have the legs. 8)

Snowballs
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
SKIADK has never had a thread go 100 posts. I think this one might have the legs. 8)

how far do we have left to go ?

Spongeworthy
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
SKIADK has never had a thread go 100 posts. I think this one might have the legs. 8)Will posts like this help get it up there :lol:

Denison
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
SKIADK has never had a thread go 100 posts. I think this one might have the legs. 8)Will posts like this help get it up there :lol:
it just might, you never know :P

Snowballs
05-20-2009, 01:14 PM

in more than one way, mike pratt's answers as listed in harv's post validate what i've been saying all along. told ya so.

transfer lift #14 is ~ 35% longer, or more because of the contours, than the existing gondola at Gore. what is such a gondola gonna cost? 13-15-20 million dollars? and for what? you CAN NOT ski off of it, both ends are at the bottom of a hill. Pratt's spin cycle comment of it " will be appropriate for year round use. " is outright laughable. ya see, there are no people at Gore during the off season. there's nothing to do there in the off season that would draw mass crowds- not now, not in the future. and if some how magically there were people at Gore during the off season, THEY CAN/WILL DRIVE THEIR FREEGIN CARS THERE, DUH! ya know, like we've all been doing for years! yea. what a concept. this is a time tested method that is no additional cost to the already financially broke State.

what about transfer lift #14's utility during ski season? well, you certainly CAN NOT do any skiing off of it. and IF, as they propose, you can truly ski in/ski out between the Bowl and Gore, why would a transfer lift be even proposed? DUH! the whole thing is ridiculous.

there in lies the Achilles heel in their proposal. if you can truly ski in/ski out, then there is no need for transfer lift #14. NONE. not during ski season nor during the off season.

BUT, if you CAN NOT ski in/ski out and then transfer lift #14 is needed to access the Bowl. at that point, the skiers of Gore, the New York taxpayers and ORDA are on the horns of a dilemma. the financially broke State is not gonna fund such a Gondola. if they try to go cheap, and install a fixed grip lift. it'll be a 25-30 minute chair ride and nobody will ride it, the Ski Bowl will go vitually unused. Dilemma.

if people have to chose between skiing Gore or the Ski Bowl you can guess which area will win.

i believe the people involved w/this project are reading this thread. they will pow-wow to see if any "spin cycle" comments need to be made until the crossroad of the dilemma is reached and the State has to chose between dumping the Ski Bowl back on the Town's lap or funding transfer lift #14. they will say nebulous comments, lacking any committment or firm position, so they are always in a position of plausable denyabilty, boob bait for the Bubbas. an example of this is the statement posted earlier on this thread(page 3) by ADKskier.........."they may never be built unless funded". WOW! that's logic right up there with unless it rains, the weather shall remain dry.

I understand people's desire for more terrain. count me in. but this thing stands to become a money pit that will leech away any State money from future legitiment improvements at Gore and possibly Whiteface, due to the large expenditures needed to bail it out and the State's ever increasing poverty. There may not be any State money for Gore or Whiteface improvements for a very long time. once the Federal Stimulus money is gone....HARD TIMES. sure hope Hoyt's High has snow making by then.

it appears that all this, the trails and lifts, is to enable Front Street to claim slopeside status(cha-ching) and get it's Village People up to Gore. transfer lift#14 is in the plans because skiing in/skiing out is highly suspect. it will also get the Village People to Gore (or they'll drive) when there's no snow on the Ski Bowl's trails, ala early season or half of the season. the Ski Bowl is to be the last area to have snow made each season....now it's already February before the whole mtn is open. OR when there's insufficient patrons to open the Bowl. after skiers get to Gore in the morning, the rest of the day, transfer lift #14 will run vitually empty.

more likely, the Village People will just drive to Gore when the snow is lacking and they can't ski to the transfer lift. they'ld have to drive to the transfer lift anyway, so why mess with it.....just drive up to Gore. it'ld be easier and faster. will said lift turn all day when it's empty?

there's another as yet undiscussed issue that i will address in a future post.

Harvey44
05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll pitch my idea again of having a mid-station unload at BRQ on the interconnect lift #14 -- I think that would enhance the linkup.

Jeff...I get this now. For "not much" additional cost, some of those lift 14 riders might get off at BRQ. If you were on first chair on lift 14 and got off at the mid-station....you'd might get to Tahawas Glades or Cirque or Sagamore first on a powder (or any) day. It might help to integrate BRQ with the rest of the mtn.

One thing I don't like about #14 is that I imagine it will make the Gore Base an even bigger zoo in the morning. I suppose if #14 started loading at the same time as the Gondi...first trackers like me could still be off at the summit before the crowds got to the Gore base.

Hey HPD...threads have gone 100 posts in the past:

http://forums.skiadk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1592

Maybe that thread doesn't count because all the posts came from one (psychopathic) poster. :roll:

highpeaksdrifter
05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey HPD...threads have gone 100 posts in the past:

http://forums.skiadk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1592

Maybe that thread doesn't count because all the posts came from one (psychopathic) poster. :roll:

Good call Harv.

x10003q
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
There is 1 important reason why this 14 lift will never be built:

WWWG?

What Would Whiteface Get?

What ever Gore gets, Whiteface has to get. In fact Whiteface has to get More! Since WF is almost at their trail mileage limit,
they won't be opening up much new terrain. No new terrain means no new lifts. They could replace some lifts as could Gore.
There is no place to put another Gondola at WF, so there will never be another Gondola at Gore.

adkskier
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Sadly...A very valid point for x10003g

Harvey44
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
A press release about the construction starting, and a video of Mike Pratt on the BRQ chair (look down the page):

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2009/6/6/Construction-Underway-on-Ski-Area-Improvements-at-Gore-Mountain/

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dr63oEfU1-1I

Harvey44
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd responded to an email from Gore about the pass deadline. It included a reference to improved access to BRQ.

My question:

Can you give details on how you are going to improve access to BRQ?

The answer:

...(thanks) for your interest in our work towards improving access to Burnt Ridge Mountain. We hope you have enjoyed the high-speed quad and the variety of terrain in that new area. You thought Cirque Glades were big last year? For this season we will be extending those glades all the way to the base of the Burnt Ridge Quad. The exciting addition of snowmaking on Sagamore will open that trail more frequently, delivering you right to the base of the lift as well. We will work towards improving the slope of Cedars, as we make the trek ourselves and understand it can provide a workout! However, please keep in mind that there are a few areas of Gore's Adirondack landscape, designed first by Mother Nature, that will occasionally present skiers and riders a few challenges...

Spongeworthy
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
A press release about the construction starting, and a video of Mike Pratt on the BRQ chair (look down the page):

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2009/6/6/Construction-Underway-on-Ski-Area-Improvements-at-Gore-Mountain/

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dr63oEfU1-1IWho shot the video? The Weasel? :P

Snowballs
06-09-2009, 05:02 PM
ok. i'll bite....who's the Weasel?

Spongeworthy
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
ok. i'll bite....who's the Weasel?He works with Mike . . . that's all I can say :roll:

adkskier
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I like the fact that the guy from NJ labeled it the Brunt Ridge quad!

Snowballs
06-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Ah, ancient Chinese secret. that sounds like Hee's #Tucson.....Wea Sel Si

how about Grunt Ridge? That's the sound Snowballs will make dragging all you guys across Cedars with, ADKyouin?, at the whip! :wink: Sure hope Snowballs is hittin the gym

Ima won fortunate cookie.

Wea Sel overcome. Wea Sel overcome.

Harvey44
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
From the website today:

"Stay tuned for trail construction shots later this week, as we have begun Gore's interconnect to the historic North Creek Ski Bowl."

Anybody seen anything?

I:)skiing
06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah.....they are digging what appears to be a huge foundation near the train station.....locals said it is where the gondola will arrive. SHHHHHH....this part is a secret. They got funding to go to the top of Gore....from downtown NC. Yep...14 minute ride to the top.

For the lurkers....Just kidding.

I am heading up in 2-3 weeks, will plan to hike around and get some shots.

mattchuck2
06-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Okay, I still don't know what's going on with "Lift #14", but I don't get the arguments that some people are making against it.

The argument seems to go like this: They should not do the interconnect because it will make Gore really really crowded with really really long lift lines, and the lift is stupid because it won't go anywhere. And they should open up more terrain on weekdays and have a better scene in North Creek.

Isn't this a little bit of a conflict? If, as predicted, more people start coming to Gore as the result of the interconnect, wouldn't Gore then be forced to open more terrain midweek (when, presumably, there'd be more people). And wouldn't businesses see this influx of people and begin to enter back in to North Creek? And even if the new slopeside complex has retail/commercial space, who's to say that established (quality) North Creek business won't rent the space (slopeside Bar Vino?). And really, as much as I hate Stratton, if I had the opportunity to purchase land or buildings in a town right across the street from Stratton at the Price that North Creek real estate is going for right now, I'd snatch it up in a second. The town of Stowe is even further away from the mountain than North Creek is from Gore, and real estate there goes for at least three times that of North Creek.

I'm not saying that Gore is as good of a mountain as Stowe (it is better than Stratton), but I don't see why they couldn't use a model like Stowe's to drive a sweet connection between town and mountain (more bars, more live music - not that I don't love Mitch whateverhisnameis :roll:). Granted, the town/mountain gondola won't be as sweet as this one:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sG0lCq0aHmI/SI08s0cxo5I/AAAAAAAAAVM/VLIGhrL9NDI/s640/Telluride%20from%20Telluride%20Gondola%2017%20July %202008.JPG

from Telluride, but a mini Stowe would be cool with me.

ComeBackMudPuddles
07-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Okay, I still don't know what's going on with "Lift #14", but I don't get the arguments that some people are making against it.

The argument seems to go like this: They should not do the interconnect because it will make Gore really really crowded with really really long lift lines, and the lift is stupid because it won't go anywhere. And they should open up more terrain on weekdays and have a better scene in North Creek.

Isn't this a little bit of a conflict? If, as predicted, more people start coming to Gore as the result of the interconnect, wouldn't Gore then be forced to open more terrain midweek (when, presumably, there'd be more people). And wouldn't businesses see this influx of people and begin to enter back in to North Creek? And even if the new slopeside complex has retail/commercial space, who's to say that established (quality) North Creek business won't rent the space (slopeside Bar Vino?). And really, as much as I hate Stratton, if I had the opportunity to purchase land or buildings in a town right across the street from Stratton at the Price that North Creek real estate is going for right now, I'd snatch it up in a second. The town of Stowe is even further away from the mountain than North Creek is from Gore, and real estate there goes for at least three times that of North Creek.

I'm not saying that Gore is as good of a mountain as Stowe (it is better than Stratton), but I don't see why they couldn't use a model like Stowe's to drive a sweet connection between town and mountain (more bars, more live music - not that I don't love Mitch whateverhisnameis :roll:). Granted, the town/mountain gondola won't be as sweet as this one:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sG0lCq0aHmI/SI08s0cxo5I/AAAAAAAAAVM/VLIGhrL9NDI/s640/Telluride%20from%20Telluride%20Gondola%2017%20July %202008.JPG

from Telluride, but a mini Stowe would be cool with me.

i'm pretty sure you just gave snowballs a heart attack!! :D :D :D :D

highpeaksdrifter
07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Interesting article on Gore in FLAME magazine.

There is a map that includes the future Ski Bowl trails and lift, “combination of easier, more difficult, and most difficult runs.”

“the interconnect bridges the gap between the mountain and the village.”

The terrain park will be on a widened Wild Air this season.

Harvey44
07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Matt thanks for poking your head in here clear some things up. :D

Pretty good summary I'd say.

Isn't this a little bit of a conflict?

I think so. I know I'm conflicted.

The lack of lines at Gore is awesome. It's probably a conflict to depend on the town for livelihood and want no lines. But since the lines thing is more a concern to weekend skiers...a lot of those folks don't work in North Creek. It bet it's a long time before lines are a weekday problem even with "everything" going through.

If, as predicted, more people start coming to Gore as the result of the interconnect, wouldn't Gore then be forced to open more terrain midweek (when, presumably, there'd be more people). And wouldn't businesses see this influx of people and begin to enter back in to North Creek? And even if the new slopeside complex has retail/commercial space, who's to say that established (quality) North Creek business won't rent the space (slopeside Bar Vino?).

Quite possible. And probably worth a shot in my opinion.

And really, as much as I hate Stratton, if I had the opportunity to purchase land or buildings in a town right across the street from Stratton at the Price that North Creek real estate is going for right now, I'd snatch it up in a second. The town of Stowe is even further away from the mountain than North Creek is from Gore, and real estate there goes for at least three times that of North Creek.

I agree including the i hate stratton part. You can get a nice house in NC right now for a good price.

Cool photo Matt. Looks like that lift has some terrain you could ride too.

Harvey44
07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Pic from the site today:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4917/74297089.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

The caption:

"Trail work has been going fast and furious in preparing for our interconnect to the North Creek Ski Bowl. This construction is happening from out of the base of the Burnt Ridge Quad."

To me it looks like Cedars.

Snowballs
07-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Harv, you have a real propensity..............that's not Cedars. the layout is wrong. likely it's the trail from the Ski Bowl back to BRQ- the orientation and the grade indicate this.

Harvey44
07-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Harv, you have a real propensity..............that's not Cedars. the layout is wrong. likely it's the trail from the Ski Bowl back to BRQ- the orientation and the grade indicate this.

That was what the photo caption indicated too.

"To me it looks like Cedars."

EQUALS

"To me it looks (kinda flat and a little up hill) like Cedars.

I'll try to keep my propensity out of your way.

Snowballs
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
well, looks like they're gonna build the aforementioned bridge across Roaring Brook for the interconnect.

http://www.goremountain.com/mountain/photos.cfm

the caption states it's the second bridge on a new route from the north quad base to BRQ base and that we'll be skiing across it this season. so would it be reasonable to think that there'll be snowmaking on this route?

Harvey44
07-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Here's a piece of information I hadn't heard..the new lift is actually used:

http://www.skiliftforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7107&st=20&p=85648&#entry85648

Not sure if it's true. It's just something I read on the internets.

IMO recycling is good.

I couldn't get the attachment in the post (gore.jpg) to download.

Denison
07-31-2009, 10:15 PM
looks new to me:

http://goremountain.com/admin/db/images/20090603124441496.jpg

evantrentful
07-31-2009, 11:12 PM
theres the potential that only the tower heads are new, as they take the brunt of wear and tear, and that the tower poles and drive system are used (reconditioned of course). Its not uncommon for this to be done. If anything I hope its true because it probably saved them a good deal in terms of cost

adkskier
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
It's true. the new (to us) lift is used. Just as the TopRidge lift was used. Naturally some components will be new.

Harvey44
08-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Some pics of the new liftline taken today:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-pics-from-ski-bowl.html

Hoser
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice pix, trying to get frame of reference. Certainly this is to the right (West) of the current Ski Bowl triple, but how far? Love to see a "Wide" view!

Snowballs
08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
every-booty hopes it has the same Tush Cush as BRQ. :lol:

wouldn't want numb buns. :shock:

mattchuck2
08-04-2009, 08:12 PM
How's the pitch on that lift line?

Might be nice for some pow this winter if I leave a car down at the Ski bowl

Snowballs
08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
fwiw, Pratt claims it's as steep as Rumor.......but it's hard to imagine the old T-bar ascending anything that steep. they did say at an ORDA meeting it was to be open for skiing, maybe there will be snow making on it.

i bet there are many people who used to ski there just chomping at the bit to do it again. alotta NC folks learned to ski there and i believe the NC kids had freeseason passes so they'll all have very fond memories they'll want to relive.

i've met one fella who used to ski there tons as a kid and even skipped " skool " to rip it.

x10003q
08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I have hiked the Ski Bowl lift line and it is pretty steep. It is not as steep as the headwall pitch of Rumor, but maybe the section just below the headwall. As best as I can remember, the steepest section might be 30-50 yards long.

Comparing skiing down vs hiking up is not always the best way to compare slopes. To me the trails always feel steeper hiking vs skiing. I question my sanity when I am hiking with non skiers and they complain about the steepness of some blue trail and I agree with their complaints. :shock:

I cannot wait to ski it. :D

Snowballs
08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
To me the trails always feel steeper hiking vs skiing.

Ditto. it's surprising to walk ski trails. last fall during the Harvest Festival we ascended the summit via Cloud which i thought would be a cake walk. it wasn't. after lunch on the summit and a descent to the Saddle Lodge some of us were tired and i thought the walk down Sunway would surely be a nice stroll. it wasn't. certain party members were grumbling. sore feet, tired thighs and a much longer distance than you'ld think.

the stretch of Cloud from Lower Darby/Headwaters to Santanoni is a great place to find chunks of Garnet in the gravel that lines the sides of the road. we picked up about a quarter of a sandwich bag full before the Saddle Lodge.

the Saddle Lodge was open for trips to El Bano, but it was kinda like a Stephen King novel- the main room was loaded with swarms of house flies.

all and all the Gondi ride up, hike to summit and then hike down to the base was fun and i recommend it. make sure your shoe laces are tight and foot is back in the heel cup. one of our party lost a toe nail due to .....toe jam?!!! :lol: take the service road from Foxlair down to the base. we rejoined the ski trail at 3b- mistake! Sunway and the lower trails don't have much of a road to walk and the very uneven, overgrown ground is difficult with tired legs and a likely ankle twister.

Harvey44
08-05-2009, 08:55 PM
How's the pitch on that lift line?

I spent some time today (at work doh!) trying to figure this out. While it looks pretty steep on the topo, I can't see how it can steeper be than Lies. The conversion between grade and slope angle twists my brain so I might be figuring this wrong:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/08/ski-bowl-liftline-pitch.html

Comparing skiing down vs hiking up is not always the best way to compare slopes. To me the trails always feel steeper hiking vs skiing. I question my sanity when I am hiking with non skiers and they complain about the steepness of some blue trail and I agree with their complaints. :shock:

I'm with Xman on this. When I walked Cedars last summer, I was sure it had enough pitch to get you down to BRQ without the Gore Shuffle. As was pointed out...I was wrong.

I cannot wait to ski it. :D

+1. Summer is too long, winter is too short.

x10003q
08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Amen to that my Brother!

Here in North Jersey we have been having a cooler (temp wise) summer than usual. Today it is about 75F with 22% humidity! This unheard of at this time of year. Usually we get these days in Sept or early Oct. This is throwing my internal ski clock off. We should be about 2+ months from skiing, not 3+ months.

08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Not sure if this has been observed or mentioned yet. I read almost all posts and apologize if this has been discussed.

Why would anyone but a raw beginner ride chair 14 to the base. Now that I walked around the area and got a good feel for what is actually happening, I am very exicted about the snow bowl expansion. Check this strategy out......park in the village, ride the HS quad (the new one to be installed next year) to the top of the new snow bowl....ride Eagles nest trail (assuming this will be the trail name) down and over Roaring Brook---new trail that I just posted photos of. From there, jump on the BRQ, ride up and then ski back to the base. Bet you could do this on the HS lifts and get in some pretty good runs in the same time you ride chair 14. But, as noted, a green skier/boarder could not do this.

I also think they may have to widen pipeline. There will be some beginner skiers and there are some drops that could get icy as skiers sideslip/snowplow or boarder scrape it clean.

x10003q
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I: ) Skiing - I am 99.9%sure that the fixed grip triple in the parking lot at Gore will be installed next summer in place of the hsq that we see on the plans in the NC Ski Bowl. The lift was bought be ORDA and the developer deeded the land under the lift to Gore (or the town).

08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
x1000-- Thanks, I knew about that fixed grip triple and the deeded land....but I am sure that I read the developer was going to both purchase and install the lift then deed over......Either we saved the developer some cash, or I was mistaken....likely the latter. Guess I would change man "theory" on "who would ride. But then, that smaller triple ride would be a lot less tedious than the 14ner.

Question and comment for Gore.

Will you (I recommend you do) start the 14ner 20 minutes before the gondi? That way somone inclined to get fresh on the main hill might ride 14ner rather than drive up.......isnt that the goal of the interconnect...."get people to ski down into town after the day"

Snowballs
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
here's something to gnaw on.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/08/14/news/local/doc4a84ba3232438071323859.txt

Denison
08-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Gentlemen, I lost my concentration at around page 3, although I still interested in interconnect with Bowl, so I keep reading this thread. Would someone please summarize what are plans for this and next year? Will we have a gondola from North Creek, Albany or all way from NYC?

Adk Keith
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes

08-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I am hearing rumor of an interconnet between Gore and Hickory?

adkskier
08-18-2009, 07:11 AM
The Gore to Hickory interconnect is just a rumor. I believe the confusion began with the announcement of the high speed cable car that is planned to connect North Creek to Saratoga. This new lift (designated lift 15) will follow the railroad tracks which will soon be removed to create a bike and walk path. Developed using stimulus $$, travel time on lift 15 will be approximately 45 minutes. There has been some discussion of a "mid-station" for loading and unloading near Warrensburg, but actual delivery to Hickory will be via shuttle bus.

mattchuck2
08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
The Gore to Hickory interconnect is just a rumor. I believe the confusion began with the announcement of the high speed cable car that is planned to connect North Creek to Saratoga. This new lift (designated lift 15) will follow the railroad tracks which will soon be removed to create a bike and walk path. Developed using stimulus $$, travel time on lift 15 will be approximately 45 minutes. There has been some discussion of a "mid-station" for loading and unloading near Warrensburg, but actual delivery to Hickory will be via shuttle bus.

LOL . . . Nice

adkskier
08-19-2009, 06:52 AM
In a related matter, Gore is now reportedly looking at purchasing a used fixed grip lift from Whiteface. Sources report that in order to fit the new high speed cable car (seeking bids fir naming rights for the new lift) into the budget, Gore may install a newly rebuilt used fixed grip lift on the first leg from North Creek to The Glen. The plan is to install towers that are engineered for the cable car so that "in the future" they may actually install the cable cars. Says one enthusiastic and bubbly spokesperson at Gore, "we see this as a real positive move...the lift will provide a scenic and exciting trip...yeah it will be kind of high at some points.....it will offer a ride similar to the north quad....yes we advise packing a lunch for the 12 mile ride." Asked about maintenance issues, one somewhat squeaky voiced manager indicates that he has complete faith in his lift maintenance crew. Asked what skiers will do when they get to the Glen, this writer heard the response "huh?".

Harvey44
08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
My uncle Farkas left me a fortune. Now I have lawyers. I'm applying for APA approval for a Gondi from the cabin to the summit. No lift number has been assigned.

This stuff made me chuckle. Others in the office were wondering what the old man was up to today.

New pic (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/08/todays-skibowl-photo.html) from the Skibowl today.

08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Got to make some turns with ADKSKIER....and want to ride the new gondi down from North River.

mattchuck2
08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
My uncle Farkas left me a fortune. Now I have lawyers. I'm applying for APA approval for a Gondi from the cabin to the summit. No lift number has been assigned.

This stuff made me chuckle. Others in the office were wondering what the old man was up to today.

New pic (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/08/todays-skibowl-photo.html) from the Skibowl today.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kfWSSeHI78Y/SoxcQdJmJLI/AAAAAAAABlw/F6xErOhpVgI/s400/More+Skibowl+Liftline.jpg

Mmmmm . . . . I'm going to ski the @#$@ out of that this year.

Harvey44
08-20-2009, 06:54 PM
In most cases when I get my hands on photos for Harvey Road, I've agreed to credit the Photog. (This was one of those cases). It will help me continue to get my hands on stuff like that if others would do the same. :wink: Thanks all. Here's one that I think looks even more ripalicious:

* * * Photo by Darkside Shaman * * *

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5328/71895939.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

mattchuck2
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
In most cases when I get my hands on photos for Harvey Road, I've agreed to credit the Photog.

Sorry, bro. Next time.

HudsonHiker
08-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I last skied that old (new) liftline when I was about 15. Only by pretending to fall off the old T bar and having to ski down the side of the liftline. Sometimes it was some of the better snow on the mountain, at least it wasn't generally crowded since only 2 or maybe 4 of us "accidentially" fell off the lift just before the top. The top section was nice medium pitch then the steep headwall section near where the Hudson trial came close to the lift. Then another medium even section and you'd have to ski quickly left over to the bottom of the Hudson so the patrol at the bottom wouldn't line you out. It's about time they brushed that out. HA! I'd try it this year. Actually had a dream the other night of skiing at Old Gore, it was on one of the hot humid nights so I think it's going to be a good winter. Looking forward to the season whatever is new and different at the mountain.

08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I'll try to get some wider shots that show location to other stuff. It looks 100% better in person. This is going to be nice.

Spongeworthy
08-23-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll try to get some wider shots that show location to other stuff. It looks 100% better in person. This is going to be nice.Please get a shot that shows the existing chair. It's not making a lot of sense of that to me without that.

08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry Sponge and everyone else.

Our solid state memory camera was full. Did not want to delete photos of the kids...., we were sacraficing some photos as it was to get others. No new photos. We had no way of downloading until we got back to Md.

To help....note the photo in this thread (most recent one)...the existing chair is about 1/5 mile to the left...looking up the mountian. EDIT..also, look at the yurt roof at the bottom of the photo. If you remember where it was..this lift is directly in front of it......but from a perspective view...the chairs will load what appears to me so far well up the hill from the existing chair....NOTE up the hill could actually be down vertically..I mean further away from the parking lots. To give "steep" perspective...this new cut is 5 times steeper than the existing line...or at least it looks like that. The lift goes to the dead center of a knoll...I am guessing that from this lift you would run down the shoulder (left looking up the hill) down to BRQ ...via the second bridge.

PS....in the parking lot of Gore---there are 6 45'0 foot I beams. About 4 feet tall. Can't imagine why they would need 6...but then I dont know what a groomer weights or what other equipment they would have running over the bridge... (if these are for bridge two anyway)

mattchuck2
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Cool Pic on the website today:

http://www.goremountain.com/admin/db/images/20090905163744813.jpg

Spongeworthy
09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry Sponge and everyone else.No problem.

I passed by there a few weekends ago after running errands on Main Street (didn't have a camera with me). The liftline runs straight up from the iron gate on Ski Bowl Road (what is the purpose of that gate?), so it's quite a bit away from the existing lift. It is REALLY steep and can be seen from the 4-way stop sign on Main Street.

adkskier
09-11-2009, 09:25 AM
The gate was ordered closed by the Johnsburg Town Board. The purpose is to eliminate through traffic to make it safer for pedestrians. Part of what looks like road today will go away and become part of the base area between the lift and planned lodge.

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-18-2009, 09:05 AM
don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet.....the 2nd bridge:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs220.snc1/8730_131877147608_119555222608_2114680_3141321_n.j pg

Harvey44
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Awesome pic. What is the source?

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Awesome pic. What is the source?

gore mountain's facebook page (not group).

also, from the facebook page, i spotted a link to this blog, with all sorts of inside stuff on the baselodge at gore: http://blog.nj.com/skiing/2009/09/more_gore_puts_emily_and_her_c.html

x10003q
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Great Find. It looks like they are doing some good renovations.
Now if only somebody else would tell Emily they need some web cams. I know first hand she doesn't believe in web cams.

09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the photo....would appear from the spacing of the foundations, the 45 foot beams in the parking lot are going to fit.

Also thanks for the NJ.com link. Ihave been looking for progress reports on the lodge...these were nice. Funny about the marketing manager looking at the lot....Perfect. Immediate response to your work.

Don't want to mess with this thread too much, but no comments on the recent find I posted in the "trains/blues" thread. Hint, One Million more dollars and 17 miles of more track are being added, regardless of county commis...backing off the projects or considering a hiking/biking trail.

Harvey44
09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I saw the skibowl liftline today. It looks killer.

I won't make a pitch comparison as my estimating skills have been called out. (I admit I blew it on Cedars.) It does look like it will be lots of fun if it's covered.

I also saw the line in the trees, for what must (might?) be Eagle's Nest?

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

mattchuck2
09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Pic from the Website of the liftline (skiable this year?)

http://goremountain.com/admin/db/images/20090918094748898.jpg

Harvey44
09-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Found this today (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/09/reconnaissance-at-ski-bowl.html).

mattchuck2
09-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Nice post, Harv.

Looks like it's not going to be skiable this season (at least the liftline itself). Those trees looked kind of nice, though. I might have to bring a couple of axes and some buddies up during the Harvest Festival to do some selective pruning . . . Ummm . . . . never mind . . . just kidding . . . ;-)

Spongeworthy
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
gore mountain's facebook page (not group).Thanks. Don't know how I missed that page in facebook.

Spongeworthy
09-23-2009, 05:43 PM
There's a preview (very small JPEG) of the new trail map on Gore's facebook page

mattchuck2
09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Cirque Glades extension looks good on that . . . I wonder how flat it gets towards the bottom . . .

Harvey44
09-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Smart marketing move to get Facebook going. Release highly anticipated content first on FB to get as many fans signed up as possible. Can't wait to see the higher res version on the site. Personally, I'm not a big Facebook fan. Just more to keep up with. I'd rather be here.

From the map it looks like I:)skiing's comment on my blog was right. I wasn't on pipeline but I was close on Tuesday. One intersection above it on the trail that heads back to skibowl from the top of the SB Liftline. The map makes things clearer. Still would love to get my hands on an old map of Little Gore.

I wonder about the pitch of the last part of Cirque. Obviously there's plenty of pitch over near the lift, but the map makes it look like it parallels Cedars. The topo shows some pitch, but you'd be traversing it? Not sure why they wouldn't stay closer to the lift. I'm sure somebody knows the answer. (Matt, Skimore?).

Danzilla
09-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Nice set of pictures. Thought about doing the same hike earlier this summer, but the liftline work wasn't very far along. Having hiked the pipeline trail several times I am still a little unclear about where the new bridge is located across roaring brook. Is it below the existing bridge? I always thought that the existing bridge might be a two way bridge - one way coming down off the north quad going towards the bowl and the other one coming over the ridge from the ski bowl lift going down towards the BR quad. A two way bridge would probably be a disaster so I am assuming they put the new bridge so that each is one way? Just not sure of the location and how the traffic will flow back and forth.

Anyone with some insight?

Also, is eagle's nest going to be any good as a stand alone trail or will it just be a connector?

mattchuck2
09-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Also, it looks like they labeled the Worm Hole (between Twister and Echo), but I can't quite make out what it says . . .

mattchuck2
09-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice set of pictures. Thought about doing the same hike earlier this summer, but the liftline work wasn't very far along. Having hiked the pipeline trail several times I am still a little unclear about where the new bridge is located across roaring brook. Is it below the existing bridge? I always thought that the existing bridge might be a two way bridge - one way coming down off the north quad going towards the bowl and the other one coming over the ridge from the ski bowl lift going down towards the BR quad. A two way bridge would probably be a disaster so I am assuming they put the new bridge so that each is one way? Just not sure of the location and how the traffic will flow back and forth.

Anyone with some insight?

Also, is eagle's nest going to be any good as a stand alone trail or will it just be a connector?

I've never skied Pipeline, but I hear that it's a pretty cool trail (especially towards the top before you get to the Eagle's Nest start). Eagle's nest looks pretty run of the mill, but any trail with two bridges over a stream has got to be a pretty beautiful skiing experience.

Snowballs
09-27-2009, 10:40 AM

the new bridge is downstream from the old bridge. Eagle's Nest from the summit of Lil Gore to pipeline should be a fair stand alone trail.

Harvey44
09-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Also, it looks like they labeled the Worm Hole (between Twister and Echo), but I can't quite make out what it says . . .

Twister's Little Sister.

Cute but I think I'm sticking with Worm Hole. :D

adkskier
09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Of course we lose the Worm Hole if they are racing on Echo. At least with racing on Twister there were times that one could get to the hole.

Snowballs
09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Of course we lose the Worm Hole if they are racing on Echo. At least with racing on Twister there were times that one could get to the hole.
he's right. Although i saw Gore anounce somewhere that there would in fact be new/better access to BRQ and i think it include the notion of " from twister", not sure.

mattchuck2
09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
he's right. Although i saw Gore anounce somewhere that there would in fact be new/better access to BRQ and i think it include the notion of " from twister", not sure.

Right, but I assume the NYSEF kids are going to come right down to that same building that they do now (at the bottom of Twister) when they race on Echo. I don't understand how people coming from Twister are going to be able to get around that going to the BRQ . . . Does anyone know?

mattchuck2
09-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Another question about pipeline (as I've never skied it). Looking at the topo, it looks as though there's a really nice (Tahawus Glades and steeper pitch) on the back (north?) side of Burnt Ridge. I can envision a TON of glades coming down off of Burnt Ridge and feeding into pipeline (to Eagle's Nest to the BRQ and back up). THOSE would be some sweet laps.

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album32/goretopo1.jpg

09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Danzilla....the new (second) bridge is 250 vertical feet lower than the top bridge. About 400 yds (guess) on Pipeline.

Am I wrong in saying that Eagles Nest is not going to go over two bridges...just one...the new second bridge. From what I gather, Eagles Nest comes down from the top of the newest (snow bowl) quad directly to BRQ. I would think this is a stand alone trail, that cannot be re-skied without heading back up BRQ, down Pipeline to the base of SnowBowl and then back up the new quad. Which would not be bad...except as I understand the once HS quad in Snow Bowl is now a fixed grip?

If it was a HSQuad....running the lift trail (with good conditions) would be quite fun and an easy way to burn the quad/hams---assuming that liftline will get bumped. I am assuming this---based upon pitch and the lower conditions, they wont groom it.

skimore
09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Another question about pipeline (as I've never skied it). Looking at the topo, it looks as though there's a really nice (Tahawus Glades and steeper pitch) on the back (north?) side of Burnt Ridge. I can envision a TON of glades coming down off of Burnt Ridge and feeding into pipeline (to Eagle's Nest to the BRQ and back up). THOSE would be some sweet laps.

The one time I was in there I ran into lots of saplings. Kinda like what you find way right in Chatiemac glade

adkskier
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Ski down the north side, past the chair onto the Pipeline trail. Cross existing bridge and then across the new bridge to get to BRQ.

I think that the "enhanced access" to BRQ is the regrading of Cedars (bet it's still mighty flat) or Pipeline to Eagle's Nest. If the bucket heads are racing on Echo we lose access from Twister.

Danzilla
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Matt - the pipeline trail from the north quad down to the older bridge is pretty lame. I have only hiked it (the work road) but it is pretty flat. From one of the maps that has been posted it looked like they cut a corner off which should help with the flatness. The pipeline trail has the most pitch to it between the old bridge and the top of the village chair. Again I have never skied it, but the hike is pretty strenuous. The workroad continues down on the BR side of the bridges. I wonder if they will just widen that if you want to continue on down to the BR quad rather than having to cross over the top bridge and then cross back over the bottom bridge. I am interested to see how it works.

I don't understand how they can race Echo unless they open hedges or cut a blue trail down to the north quad. How would anyone get back to the base? Did they do some grading on hedges? Last time I hiked that trail it was uphill half the time (coming down off the BR quad). I was always confused as to how they could even consider that a trail.

D

Snowballs
10-02-2009, 11:01 AM
yeah, i've skied the pipeline. it's zzzzzzzzzzzzz. it's sorta like Cloud from Santanoni to Fairview. wonder if it will have snowmaking? the Hedges thing, imo, would be a bust. it's got quite a bit of uphill that i'm not sure any grading would cure. i see what your saying about racing on Echo. the other skiers on Sags, etc would not be able to return to the main mtn. some maps do show a trail from BRQ summit to the North quad. perhaps that's their solution. i would guess that when racing is on Echo this season the rest of that pod will be closed or skiers will be stuck traversing Hedges. bring your skins.

10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
On one of the new trail maps---the one that has purple marker drawn as trails----it definitely has a trail from the top of BRQ over to Northwoods. I did not see any tree cutting there the last time I was up...so I guess that will be next year. Not sure how long it takes to cut a trail...but I am thinking more than 2 months, especially with all the other work that is going on.

Heading up Oct 10 for my roofing weekend. Stike my tounge---no snow please.

Harvey44
10-11-2009, 03:15 PM
New trail map is up on the site in higher res.

HudsonHiker
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Did you notice the map has the gondi and the triple labled reversed. I e-mailed the mt. suggestion box in case they had time to correct that before the printed copies came out.

Spongeworthy
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Did you notice the map has the gondi and the triple labled reversed.That mistake is only on the interactive map.

adkskier
10-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I picked up info this weekend of a strong possibility of cutting a trail from the top of BRQ to the bottom of the North quad. it would take a swath out of the Tahawus Glades. Not a rumor, it has been discussed among staff and it could be accomplished (w/o snowmaking) in fairly short order. This would solve the issue of a route back to the base area from Burnt Ridge "if" racing was in progress on Echo as has been intended.

Snowballs
10-13-2009, 07:50 PM
sounds like they hadn't anticipated this problem. they would almost " have " to have a new trail out or the BR pod would have to be closed when there's racing on Echo, as was discussed here, and that would be unacceptable. Although no snow making could close it anyway and then it would be ......back to racing on Twister?

Oh well. if they git-r-done before the season starts then job well done. hope it doesn't change Tahawus Glades much.

10-14-2009, 12:56 AM
As far as snow making is concerned. There is a ski area in Western Md---Ski Wisp, that make a mountain of snow in one location at the top of a slope. When I say mountain, that is what I mean. I dont think I am sexagerating when I say I have seen it 60 ft tall. They then bull dose the snow where they need it for late seaon. This could be a solution. Gore is 5 times as cold and one gun blowing 100% for a few weeks could make quite a pile. From what I have seen, this would not be a long run---and if I am right---faces North.

Snowballs
10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
As far as snow making is concerned. There is a ski area in Western Md---Ski Wisp, that make a mountain of snow in one location at the top of a slope. When I say mountain, that is what I mean. I dont think I am sexagerating when I say I have seen it 60 ft tall. They then bull dose the snow where they need it for late seaon. This could be a solution. Gore is 5 times as cold and one gun blowing 100% for a few weeks could make quite a pile. From what I have seen, this would not be a long run---and if I am right---faces North.

That's a great solution! well done. that would do it and like you said it's a very short trail. Easy to push snow over. they maybe even could link some hoses together to get down there better.

SkiADK.com comes thru again.

"Two heads are better than one." - Him Say.

Sexagerating? :shock:

10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Sexagerating?

Guess I was just thinking of a 60' foot 'mound' of snow. and 'pushing' it around. ;)

Snowballs
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
a new pic is up on Gore's site showing the Roaring Brook bridge piers being poured. it looks rather substantail. not sexagerating either. lol. judging from the previous pics of this ravine, the new bridge must be rather long. can any one who's been to that sight check out the new photo and offer us their judgement as to the length/steepness of this bridge?

at least they don't seem to be going the " cheap " route.

Sure hope that Snowballs joker was wrong about flat spots on this new trail. a long bridge may alleviate some flatness. fingers crossed.

10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
SnowB--
I believe I addressed the length of this bridge some pages back, or on another thread. I believe they used 45' beams that were in the main parking lot (6 of them about 4' high each). They were being stored by the rock outcropping. Based upon the upper bridge, this seems just right. The stream is the same length and the bridge's foundation looks like it will give similar clearance---around 5'0 over the water. Nice steep drop from pipeline, then over the bridge.

Snowmaking---would be amazed that they get water in place to make snow over the bridge. If they do, I would say Gore ROCKS on this construction project. Can't use the blow and push method here.

Harvey44
10-31-2009, 10:33 AM
I picked up info this weekend of a strong possibility of cutting a trail from the top of BRQ to the bottom of the North quad. it would take a swath out of the Tahawus Glades. Not a rumor, it has been discussed among staff and it could be accomplished (w/o snowmaking) in fairly short order. This would solve the issue of a route back to the base area from Burnt Ridge "if" racing was in progress on Echo as has been intended.

Adkskier...or anyone...any more scoop on this?

Still not sure how I feel about losing parts of Tahawas. IMO it's unique terrain on the mountain.

On the other hand I love making the mountain more integrated.

And if they can keep the new trail high on Burnt Ridge, you might get some more awesome lift-served tree skiing out of it. North facing lines that would dump you out on Pipeline or Eagles Nest. From what I could tell from the low res aerial photos (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/10/google-earth-interconnect.html) it looks like hardwoods over there. Wish I could find that video Gore did of the flyover on BR.

EDIT: Found the video. Does look like hardwoods:

http://www.goremountain.com/burnt_ridge/

x10003q
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Does anybody know where the entrance to Twister's Little Sister starts? It looks like it will help improve access to the BRQ.

ComeBackMudPuddles
11-03-2009, 11:25 AM
don't know if this old news or not, but i thought this imagining of the trails at the ski bowl might be of interest on this thread....

http://www.adirondacktownhomes.com/images/smallWindow_04.jpg

source: http://www.adirondacktownhomes.com/index.html

Snowballs
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
ok. cool shot. Does anybody know the trail names and which ones will be for john q pubic? :lol:

as i understand it, the trail to the far right, which " Y's " off, would be for the Village People only (Y/N?) and serve as ski runs and routes to their homes. these trails are on Front Street's property.

The trails in the center include the lift line and the trail that descends just right of the liftline. these would be for all the skiing public? not sure, but the right side of the liftline may all be Front Street property.

The trails to the left are Eagle's nest/to pipeline then down to the Ski Bowl lift base AND Eagle's nest all the way over to BRQ base. Both of these will be open for all skiers.

Anybody know the " for sure " answers to this?

Is that image reflective of the final trail configurations or just an Artist's rendering for marketing purposes?

adkskier
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
It's The Worm Hole opened up a bit. Runs off Twister below 1A

adkskier
11-03-2009, 06:27 PM
The Ski Bowl trails are all public. Those for the village people will be just down low running to their homes. They may not really be closed to the public, but they won't be desirable either.

Danzilla
11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
As far as I know, this is still the plan:

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album22/Map_1_SEIS_Site_Location_Map.jpg

Pink Part in all in by next year (except for the stuff to the top of the old Gondi midstation), new lift runs to the top of the pink trails going to the ski bowl. Pipeline is in White, going down to the ski bowl from the North Quad base.

The trail down to the north quad has been on the maps all along. I am sure it will end up being a little different than what is shown here - most of the trails they cut have differed somewhat from proposed map.

Did anyone ever take the trail down to the north quad from burnt ridge last year? I thought about it a few times, but I am not very good in the trees so I didn't want to commit without knowing what it was like.

I wonder when they will get sagamore open with the new snowmaking. Can't wait to hit that again after a dump.

D

Harvey44
11-05-2009, 09:57 AM
The trail down to the north quad has been on the maps all along. I am sure it will end up being a little different than what is shown here - most of the trails they cut have differed somewhat from proposed map.

Did anyone ever take the trail down to the north quad from burnt ridge last year? I thought about it a few times, but I am not very good in the trees so I didn't want to commit without knowing what it was like.

Danno...no question that things get improvised from the plans. Both Echo and Sagamore are significantly different than what that maps shows. Probably a good thing...the guys actually cutting the trail, are looking at the real topography, not a map.

Hedges...the trail down to the North...has got some uphill in it, unless you bust your way through some uncleared stuff. Still...Tahawas is the primo place to work on your tree skills. IMO it the best glade I've ever been in for somebody who want to increase their confidence level in the trees. Widely spaced, low angle and better coverage than you'll see in Twister.

GO FOR IT:

http://s4.postimage.org/1TMCkA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

AdironRider
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
So whats the general consensus now that the triple is delivered, lift line cut, and connection trails being made?

Im pulling for a shuttle lift to downtown North Creek, but realize thats a 50 50 chance at best, and will take years.

How have the Copperfield and barVino been faring in the last year or two since theyve opened?

Im currently looking at a property in Minerva to eventually settle down at. I like Gore, even as a snowboarder, and want to see it thrive. But Ive got a career in hospitality and restaurant management, are the new businesses seeing success?

Harvey44
11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I believe.

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/11/future.html

11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Harv---cheep shot to deliver folks to your site.... :)

I believe TOO!

The last 4 times I have been to NC, we ate one meal each at Cooperfield. Nice crowd each time. I am sure business will pick up even more. In winter and late winter, visited Bar Vino---very nice crowds...never visited in summer, had the kids the whole time.

I like the fact they are re-doing the pizza place and putting in games in the vacant slot next to it. They will surely do good business.

Laura's was always fine---I go out for a late night beer after everone goes to bed.

I will be in NC in 2 days. I am most curious about Durrant's.

Sitting in a bar in Md....talking skiing of course. Guy says....ever ski Gore? I ask why....he is planning on taking 30 people up there for New Years Eve.....he has 14 signed up already, I gave him some selling points so he can fill his other 16 slots.
When you think about it...Gore might be easier for a trip leader to take a crew to than Kmart. You only have to worry about shuttles to the mountain...after that...your folks walk from their hotel to the bars and resturants. They are staying in town somewhere....so either Cooperfields or the new hotel.

New little gore trails.... Some, like under the lift are going to be awesome. The others will be great teaching slopes...because as mentioned...likely the only skiers will be owners. Ski school will not take a class that far for green slopes. So I can take my kids down, or start them in town and ride freely without interruption all day. Only problem: Snow? I might think they will have to keep snow on them. Be pretty upset if I just paid $450k for a townhouse and cannot ski to it. (I made up the price)

Snowballs
11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
ok Dog, but have you bought a NC ski in/ ski out condo? has any SkiADK member? just curious, spread some congrats and know who could give us insightful updates on the program.

i can see those buying homes in the Ski Bowl Village being truly excited.

GoofyRider
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM

The one time I was in there I ran into lots of saplings. Kinda like what you find way right in Chatiemac glade

I keep rereading this thread and get more confused every time!

Is the new chair to the top of the ski bowl operating this year?

Is the pipeline trail and eagles nest trail also going to be open this year down to BRQ?

Also, some questions for the 'regulars' if you don't mind... I'm thinking of hiking around that area (roughly where it says Gore Mountain Ski Center) sometime before we get snow cover...I think my main object is to scout out the north/northeast side of BR and get some pics... Am I allowed to, and would my best bet be to park near the all ready legendary 'gold parking' and hit cedars and loop back up pipeline/eagles nest, or park down at the ski bowl and hike the lift line and over?

thanks.

Harvey44
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Completely understandable IMO.

No. Liftline was cut (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/09/reconnaissance-at-ski-bowl.html) but no chair yet.

Is the pipeline trail and eagles nest trail also going to be open this year down to BRQ?

Yes. No additional lifts required. If it snows. No snowmaking on that route yet.

Also, some questions for the 'regulars' if you don't mind... I'm thinking of hiking around that area (roughly where it says Gore Mountain Ski Center) sometime before we get snow cover...I think my main object is to scout out the north/northeast side of BR and get some pics... Am I allowed to, and would my best bet be to park near the all ready legendary 'gold parking' and hit cedars and loop back up pipeline/eagles nest, or park down at the ski bowl and hike the lift line and over? thanks.

It's state land. As long as they aren't blasting up there you should be allowed to go up there. My guess is that Gold Parking/Cedars would be a shorter route than up from the Ski bowl. This weekend you could ride the Gondi to save a little walking. That might be the shortest.

I know a blogger that would give you a cheeseburger for those pics!

Snowballs
12-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Goofy, the lift to the top of the Ski Bowl will be installed next year along with snowmaking on those trails. that's the official blah, blah, blahs.....for now. In fact, they said they're going to install the lift's bottom terminal and a few lift towers this fall/winter. IMO, that seems like window dressing to impress the masses and any potential Village People. " maybe not ". Still waiting for an answer if Front Street completed any units this year as promised.

Pipeline down to Eagle's Nest then over to Burnt Ridge is to be open this year according to Gore. But it has no snowmaking, at least none that they announced.

GoofyRider
12-06-2009, 01:04 AM

Completely understandable IMO.

No. Liftline was cut (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/09/reconnaissance-at-ski-bowl.html) but no chair yet.

Yes. No additional lifts required. If it snows. No snowmaking on that route yet.

Also, some questions for the 'regulars' if you don't mind... I'm thinking of hiking around that area (roughly where it says Gore Mountain Ski Center) sometime before we get snow cover...I think my main object is to scout out the north/northeast side of BR and get some pics... Am I allowed to, and would my best bet be to park near the all ready legendary 'gold parking' and hit cedars and loop back up pipeline/eagles nest, or park down at the ski bowl and hike the lift line and over? thanks.

It's state land. As long as they aren't blasting up there you should be allowed to go up there. My guess is that Gold Parking/Cedars would be a shorter route than up from the Ski bowl. This weekend you could ride the Gondi to save a little walking. That might be the shortest.

I know a blogger that would give you a cheeseburger for those pics!

Here's some pics from Burnt Ridge I took today..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/4161599783_be67f6056e_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/4161599995_d82e648df4_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2687/4162359864_ecb6ae729d_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4161600455_730f9c8c6d_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4162360306_1a7921bb9a_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4162360518_93c43c5a6d_b.jpg

This area is lookin pretty sweet!

adkskier
12-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Frontstreet has a duplex townhouse in progress. It's up and enclosed. Interior work in progress. You can walk in past the locked gate on weekends to take a look.

Snowballs
12-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Frontstreet has a duplex townhouse in progress. It's up and enclosed. Interior work in progress. You can walk in past the locked gate on weekends to take a look.

There's my reporter. :D

So, how do we call this one? lol. do we split that cookie?

Thanks ADK!

GoofyRider
12-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Here's a video I put together from hiking around the mountain over the weekend. Top of Ski Bowl still has blasting ongoing. If any of the blast piles up there are similar to the blast piles at the bottom of the new ski bowl lift I would stay away from that part. Very large gaps and sharp edges. Some of the base of the new ski bowl lift has been put in. I'm guessing the top of the new lift will go beyond the old tbar frame to the next high spot. The ride from there to BRQ base I think will be fine, it has a decent grade with the only flatter spot being on the BR side of that trail. Next, I cut up and across the back NW side of BR even with the snowmaking reservoir towards the BRQ. The top section was pretty steep, i'd say similar to some of the steeper spots in Chatiemac galdes, but the whole area was very saturated with 3-5' high sapplings, although there could be some open lines to be found. It will be some tough going in there IMO, lots of branches whipping into your face i'd guess. I eventually ran into a snowmaking pipe leading to the top of BRQ via Hedges. Walked down Sagamore and cut into the woods and back down the NW side of the ridge. There was some promising terrain back here. Reached the trail returning to BRQ below the new bridge.

http://www.vimeo.com/8023970

Harvey44
12-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Keep on Chooglin' is right. Nice work. Ambitious hike and cool report.

Sounds like you think the pitch is adequate over most of it.

Doesn't look like to much has happened on Skibowl Liftline since I was up there in Sept.

The cabin has only dsl line so I was getting some sticking on the vimeo.

Will definitely try again at work on Tues.

Snowballs
12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
That was awesome. You Rock Rider.

Did the Pipeline trail link with that stretch of Hedges you showed?

They got a good bit of work accomplished.

Was it just me, or didn't it that seem like that was a LOT of trails?

GoofyRider
12-10-2009, 11:09 PM
That was awesome. You Rock Rider.

Did the Pipeline trail link with that stretch of Hedges you showed?

They got a good bit of work accomplished.

Was it just me, or didn't it that seem like that was a LOT of trails?

The pitch from ski bowl to the new bridge seemed very adequate, but to me the trail had a 'this is just a connector' kind of feel to it. Maybe that will change when I'm on it with snow. You can get a nice run over the new bridge and hopefully (on a snowboard) make it past the power lines where the trail has another drop down to the BRQ.

When I cut from top of Ski Bowl thru the ridge bewteen there and Burnt Ridge, I ran into the existing brdge. Does anyone know if that work road is the actual ski trail from North Chair to BRQ? Also, the road goes downhill on both sides of the bridge, I assume the ski bowl side of the trail goes to the new bridge, and the BR side of the trail links to the bottom part going back to BRQ, not hitting the new bridge. From the existing bridge I walked up to the pump house and then followed the power line south to a T intersection with another power line running parallel to Sagamore on the north side of BR. A guy working at the pump house said it was a mile to the North Chair via the work road, seemed kind of far, but since i cut up the power line i'm not sure. Anyway that road was flat, I hope thats not the ski trail.

The northwest side of the Burnt Ridge had a nice stand of birches running from top to bottom that would be killer if thinned out. Might also be able to reach the lower half of that powerline to the pump station also. What's the policy on 'pruning' next summer? :) I hit the top of Hedges, I would guess it hit Pipeline at the bottom, but I don't know.

When I cut off Sagamore half way down I went down the back northeast side of BR and found some real nice very large sections of trees. I came out below the new bridge south of the powerline and a nice easy ride back to chair. It DID seem like a lot of trails in the video! I stopped at natural changes in terrain and tried to take a set of 360 pics and then film it 360 degrees, and tried to get the last section on the edge of the pics of the new section to get the whole area, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, can't wait to get out on Saturday!

Snowballs
12-14-2009, 08:51 AM
News story on Gore. I was a little surprised they got 200k in the new Ski Bowl Lodge. It's nice the the summer youth program will use the new lodge. The little beach and the rest of the "park" could make a nice community resource. i'ld hang there if i were a kid.

http://www.poststar.com/news/local/article_5f8d06b8-e868-11de-ac7c-001cc4c002e0.html

Under the main photo there 7 or so thumbnails for more look see Him Say.

12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll put my two cents in for a skate board park inthe park. Nice transition to boarding and the t_park at snow bowl. 200k in the lodge was cheep for what they got. A nice lodge, that does explain why lack of windows and view of slopes/tubing. They can make this upto me by selling beer?????? Wishful?

fujative.
12-16-2009, 11:19 PM
News story on Gore. I was a little surprised they got 200k in the new Ski Bowl Lodge. It's nice the the summer youth program will use the new lodge. The little beach and the rest of the "park" could make a nice community resource. i'ld hang there if i were a kid.

http://www.poststar.com/news/local/article_5f8d06b8-e868-11de-ac7c-001cc4c002e0.html

Under the main photo there 7 or so thumbnails for more look see Him Say.

Goodspeed said at the height of Ski Bowl's popularity, it wasn't unusual to see 300 people gathered at the mountain. By the end of the winter, he said, he suspects he'll see the same.
I'm just gonna throw this out there, the most people I ever saw at the ski bowl, other than for a competition was about 7 people.

Snowballs
12-16-2009, 11:25 PM
ditto. vitual ghost town. maybe it will change.

colonel klink
12-17-2009, 02:28 AM
The first year the skibowl was open I dont think I saw a single person there that actually paid for a ticket. I was working there 2-3 days a week when I wasn't on the main mountain.

12-17-2009, 09:56 PM
The first year the skibowl was open I dont think I saw a single person there that actually paid for a ticket. I was working there 2-3 days a week when I wasn't on the main mountain.

THis is exactly why I think this place will be a gold mine for two types of people when the extra slopes open. 1) instructors looking for uncrowded terrain. 2) families doing the same. Take less terrain but no lift lines, no people on the slope. Could be a good secret.

Denison
12-17-2009, 11:23 PM
They can make this upto me by selling beer?????? Wishful?

They used to have a small fridge with Bud-like beer. We always went with hot chocolate though. I usually bring my own whipped cream and marshmallows 8)

Snowballs
12-18-2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTWApIkEEjQ

A very nicely done North Creek promotional video.

Spongeworthy
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM

A very nicely done North Creek promotional video.What is that at 1:05? One of the Newtons?

Harvey44
12-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I noticed it too. :cry:

mattchuck2
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM

A very nicely done North Creek promotional video.What is that at 1:05? One of the Newtons?

Definitely the exit to Upper . . . At least they don't show the entrance?

jimmer
12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
yup upper newts exit,i was the second 1 out,coool,,,nice vidieo.

Harvey44
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Thought some might be interested ... got some pictures of the new Gore terrain (http://www.nyskiblog.com/2010/07/gore-mountain-terrain-update.html) over the weekend.