PDA

View Full Version : NEW WILD AIR TERRAIN PARK!!?

Snowballs
05-10-2009, 08:17 PM
huh? could it be that mtn management is going to a build a new terrain park? really? i musta been dreaming.................

wake me when it snows.

mattchuck2
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I heard they're moving the Terrain Park to Wild Air and taking out the one on Sleighride . . .

fujative.
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
^Seriously. I hear they're widening it to the widest the trail is aloud to be, but with the poles that's still retarded.
Also, I heard they're not ordering any more new rails or box's. Sleighride was empty enough as it is, and a lot of our rails and box's got destroyed by groomers. Also, I guarantee they won't be blowing any more snow for jumps than previous years, so jumps aren't going to be a space filler either.

Basically what they should do is use the widened side of the trail for a good jump line, and build something actually bigger than 20 feet. Get in-house welders to make a few new rails, and use the narrower side of the trail for a jib park.

...And actually hire me, and have Jason listen to me
:evil:

I:)skiing
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Our little hill where I ski the most basically turned the park over to a 18yr old...(he could be 19). 07/08 it was the best ever (not saying too much, but much better than most other dinky areas), this year, 08/09, mgmt committed to blowing snow on it BEFORE we actually opened (duh) and with his welding shop and carpentry buddies---the place rocked. I do not have access to budgets....but this was done on a dime in comparision to the cash the area brought in.....

We have 1/5 the "park area" Gore has and had features that 5 yr olds were hitting, all the way up to monster walls...a thong like device that was 12' in the air, rails, butter boxes, stumps (yes real stumps), tires, little jumps, mediums and then the big boys.

Snowballs
07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Our little hill where I ski the most basically turned the park over to a 18yr old...(he could be 19). 07/08 it was the best ever (not saying too much, but much better than most other dinky areas), this year, 08/09, mgmt committed to blowing snow on it BEFORE we actually opened (duh) and with his welding shop and carpentry buddies---the place rocked. I do not have access to budgets....but this was done on a dime in comparision to the cash the area brought in.....

We have 1/5 the "park area" Gore has and had features that 5 yr olds were hitting, all the way up to monster walls...a thong like device that was 12' in the air, rails, butter boxes, stumps (yes real stumps), tires, little jumps, mediums and then the big boys.

that puts Gore's to shame. shame also is the patrons are getting short changed and Gore's coffers are being short changed. more jumps,even little ones, spead around the hill would rock. kids love 'em! and all they take is snow.....it's sad.

one can only chalk it up to a bad management attitude.

07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
I have to say that I was quite disappointed in seeing Gore's "park", as was my son, age 3.5 at the time. I had not skied Gore for 5 yrs and was expecting a whole lot more, given how most other areas are going crazy with parks. My son being fully amazed at the size of Gore, the gondi, the everything bigger..and snow in the woods as opposed to the rocks and leaves we see in the south...said of the T-park as I carried him through it..."But daddy, where are the fun things and all the people?" For those lurking...Gores T-park trail is a more narrow, blue or blue/green. Too steep/narrow for a 3.5 yr old to ski it and not piss everyone and their brother off.

.....out of the mouths of babes.

mattchuck2
09-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Pic of trail widening for the Wild Air Park (from the website):

http://goremountain.com/admin/db/images/2009092115102637.jpg

Lbtchnlgs
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
There's no good place for a park at Gore. This place is going to be full of gapers who have no idea what they're doing because it's at such an accessible place; also most people that ski the lower mountain are beginners who don't understand the respect side of skiing/riding.

I just really hope Gore finally makes one of their "big steps" to making a safe, constant reliable terrain park.

As for the lift tower statement; ski at your own risk; I imagine they will have park at skiiers right and cut the trail in half with a fence, using the towers as a guide. If you suck enough to hit a ski tower, then good- at least it's one more dangerous aspect off of the mountain

Experienced some frost a couple days ago up in Caroga. :twisted:

mattchuck2
09-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping that there will be a good place for a dedicated park at the Ski bowl when they get the interconnect going. If they can cut a wide enough trail that is accessible from the new lift that they'll be installing next year, ideally you'll be able to go right from the park to that icy abortion that they call a halfpipe. It should be pretty good for laps, and hopefully they'll have enough pitch on that ridge to get something good running (Similar to Jiminy's park on the far skier's left side of the mountain).

I still favor the Killington's "The Stash" model, though:

The Woods are the Goods.

Shredding in the snowy woods has always been the purest experience in snowboarding, the roots of freestyle. Jake and the Burton Team have teamed up with Killington and 4 other resorts worldwide to create the evolution of freestyle snowboard parks in the ultimate natural environment: The Stash. Taking advantage of natural terrain, local wood products and all the creative elements the mountain has to offer, The Stash will take your freestyle riding to the next level. From rainbow log jibs and misty road gaps to hidden pow slashes and fast banks, The Stash mixes the best of every trail into one, wooded run that will test your riding flow. And better yet, The Stash was developed with the future of the mountain environment in mind. From the re-use of local trees and found objects to on-hill recycling, The Stash is designed to have more impact on your riding and less impact on the environment. Find your own line and take your freestyle riding to where the woods are the goods: The Stash.

Lbtchnlgs
09-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping that there will be a good place for a dedicated park at the Ski bowl when they get the interconnect going. If they can cut a wide enough trail that is accessible from the new lift that they'll be installing next year, ideally you'll be able to go right from the park to that icy abortion that they call a halfpipe. It should be pretty good for laps, and hopefully they'll have enough pitch on that ridge to get something good running (Similar to Jiminy's park on the far skier's left side of the mountain).

I still favor the Killington's "The Stash" model, though:

The Woods are the Goods.

Shredding in the snowy woods has always been the purest experience in snowboarding, the roots of freestyle. Jake and the Burton Team have teamed up with Killington and 4 other resorts worldwide to create the evolution of freestyle snowboard parks in the ultimate natural environment: The Stash. Taking advantage of natural terrain, local wood products and all the creative elements the mountain has to offer, The Stash will take your freestyle riding to the next level. From rainbow log jibs and misty road gaps to hidden pow slashes and fast banks, The Stash mixes the best of every trail into one, wooded run that will test your riding flow. And better yet, The Stash was developed with the future of the mountain environment in mind. From the re-use of local trees and found objects to on-hill recycling, The Stash is designed to have more impact on your riding and less impact on the environment. Find your own line and take your freestyle riding to where the woods are the goods: The Stash.

Has anyone been in Killington's stash? I took a run in Keystone's wooded terrain park and while its pretty cool, it's hard to keep maintained due to lack of grooming. It's hard to keep it smooth when your dodging rocks, half buried trees and negotiating super hardpack berms. Great idea though, I guess you just have to time it right after a storm. I find the local stashes much much more enjoyable

Psizzle123
09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
me and my brother actually hit up killy's "Stash" this past winter. i had high expectations approaching this trail and was not disappointed. besides the large array of log rails, stumps, and natural features, there's also numerous sculptures and wooden homes smack in the middle. there was actually a jump with a wood base just under the snow. just skiing down the trail is pretty exhilerating.

heres an edit from the day including some footy of the stash
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="340" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab"><param name="movie" value="http://www.newschoolers.com/ext/jw_player/player-4.3.132.swf"></param><param name="autoplay" value="true"></param><param name="quality" value="high"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="flashvars" value="file=http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/member/videos.264/1236544115_1236543727Killy1HD_480p.mp4&link=http://www.newschoolers.com/web/content/viewvideo/id/252155/&config=http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/site/embed/v1nsjwembed.xml"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://www.newschoolers.com/ext/jw_player/player-4.3.132.swf" width="480" height="340" bgcolor="000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="file=http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/member/videos.264/1236544115_1236543727Killy1HD_480p.mp4&link=http://www.newschoolers.com/web/content/viewvideo/id/252155/&config=http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/site/embed/v1nsjwembed.xml" /></object><div style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10px;">Courtesy of Newschoolers.com (http://www.newschoolers.com)</div>

Psizzle123
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
oops try this
http://www.newschoolers.com/web/content/viewvideo/id/252155/

Lbtchnlgs
09-24-2009, 07:22 AM
I had a different view of the stash. The one at Keystone is really in the woods. Maybe it's not an official Burton 'Stash'. Much cooler than Killingtons though.

NIce vid

fujative.
09-29-2009, 10:22 PM
They're not cutting the trail in half with a fence. That would be a ton of unnecessary work. It's going to be park full width, with the exception of skiers left from lower sleighride to stokes, and even there are going to be a few little hits for the kiddos. I walked the trail before they started doing the widening with Jason O'Hara, the guy who runs the park there, and helped plan it out. It was pretty much horrible for a park before they widened it but now (I hiked again yesterday), it looks like it's going to be pretty legit. There aren't going to be a whole lot of jumps under the gondola area anyways.. I think we have it planned where there is only one about half way down on skiers right where there is a decent natural landing. The rest are way down bottom where stokes splits off.

We're putting in to get some metal to start building our own rails (WAY cheaper), and only having a couple things pre-made for us. If nothing gets approved, we're in for one EMPTY park for how big the trail is. If they actually do, we're in for a semi-respectable park.

Harvey44
09-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Is it steep enough?

Snowballs
09-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Pic of trail widening for the Wild Air Park (from the website):

http://goremountain.com/admin/db/images/2009092115102637.jpg

well the "hump" of dirt they left around that first tower might make a good launch, though the snow base may cover it flat. looks like they removed a fair amount of dirt on parts of the original Wild Air.

09-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Where I believe this photo is taken...this is PERFECT for the kids and over 40 crowd---...1 foot jumps, rollers, plastic pipe at snow level.

Looks like Fujutive knows of what he speaks. Guess my only comment to tons of features is.....you got to have money to then STAFF the park and get those features open or at least 3/4 of them at any given time.

Nothing worse than a park with closed features.....NOTING, I fully understand they do not want to open a feature with an improper approach or landing, but this takes time, sometimes lots of it.

fujative.
10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Is it steep enough?

Yeah, it's definitely steep enough. The more flat parts are better for rails and other jibs. There are a couple of nice natural rollers that will make a good foundation for a landing (although I think some of them might be getting regraded by the excavator. For better or worse I'm not really sure.). Down at the bottom where stokes goes straight and wild air goes right is where the bigger jumps are going, so we're going to have to use quite a bit of snow on the flats there.

Snowballs
10-03-2009, 01:29 PM
sounds like Fuja is working/inputting ideas w/the park personal. not only is that cool but it could produce an improved product. Two heads are better than one. Fuja is supposed to be a top Park Gnome at Gore and should have good ideas. just don't make them all expert so to speak as others and the wee ones need some tamer stuff and that is necessary for all to have successful park experience. that should be a goal.

oh yeah. build a dang spine!!! even lil ones like Face has here unt there. I NEED A SPINE! (that didn't come out to good!!??)

i really hope this is finally the answer to Gore's lame azz park. Face has plenty of nice features. Gore can too. it's friggin way over due.

one benefit we've overlooked to the new location is the vantage point Gondi riders will have. it's fun watching people risk their booty as they fly around bustin mad moves. 'Sides, as Matt once said....Wild Air was lame.

10-03-2009, 01:57 PM
While looking at both the really good parkers and the really bad parkers is a blast from any spot. The Gondi view will be nice. This is not a complaint---but if I were asked...I'd rather be on a chair....you get to cheer and yell...."go for it" Or....."ahhhhhhh" when the pipe lands where it should never be on a male.

fujative.
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Guess my only comment to tons of features is.....you got to have money to then STAFF the park and get those features open or at least 3/4 of them at any given time.

As of now, there are going to be about 25 features in. Ideally, all of those will be open at once (excluding when we are just putting them in/making serious mods to them). I think we have 4 people who work park now, only usually 2 of them on the hill at once, last year at times there was only 1. That being said I think that we're fairly understaffed. With a park this size, I think we're going to need at least 5 people, and ideally about 4 working at once. The problem is everyone who wants the position (me) is "too young" by gore standards to work, and most people who do end up getting hired don't know a whole lot about what they're doing. Let's hope to get a few people interested in working this year who have a little better idea of what makes a good park.

oh yeah. build a dang spine!!! even lil ones like Face has here unt there. I NEED A SPINE!

do you mean spine or hip? Cause we're (hopefully) having both! A hip is a front approach with a landing to one side, while a spine can either be basically a really steep jump with a really steep landing (two quarter pipes back to back) or a hip where you can land on either side. The spine we're planning on having is going to have (again, hopefully) a 30 foot snowmaking pipe along the top of it as a jib, though. The Hip is going to be on the very bottom jump, so you can either hit it as a table via hitting the takeoff on the right, or hit it as a hip taking the takeoff on the left.

The Gondi view will be nice. This is not a complaint---but if I were asked...I'd rather be on a chair....you get to cheer and yell...."go for it" Or....."ahhhhhhh"

I definitely agree with this one. Although if it were my choice i'd rather not have anything going over top of me. Easier to get busted by ski patrol for doing flips

just don't make them all expert so to speak as others and the wee ones need some tamer stuff and that is necessary for all to have successful park experience. that should be a goal.

This is definitely kept in mind. There are up to 3 different lines you can take through the park, each section having small, medium, and large features. Although almost every new feature we're planning on purchasing this year will be in the large category. Also, don't forget Joyland, the progression park hidden back next to the j-bar. That will still be around with small features this year. Although Emily Stanton wants to re-name it to the "Newschool Park" :roll:

Ideally, we wanted to keep upper sleighride as the "small" park as well to try to keep the little ones out of our hair while giving them a place to play. They (and their parents) seem to not quite grasp the concept of park etiquette. Then again, all the cross traffic going from upper to lower would still be around, seeings as you need to take lower to get to the bottom half of the wild air park. That was a big reason for the switch to wild air from sleighride.

Does anyone know a site to host .pdf file? I don't have a jpeg of the proposed park map.

Snowballs
10-05-2009, 09:25 PM
well, a hip/spine where you launch off the front end and can land either side ( or one side )....like they had at the bottom of L. Sleighride 2-3 yrs. ago. OR something like that cuz it's easier to land on and thus learn and have fun. i didn't have to worry about misjudging jumping distances and such. It's easy landing on the sides. you can catch some good air and actually get 2 jumps by launching off the downhill end also.

W/the undermaned and creative input issues, it's too bad the Mtn couldn't at least have a volunteer helper program were people and school kids could pitch in.

However, this is really starting to sound like a major improvement. That could be a important boost for the Mtn.

fujative.
10-06-2009, 08:02 PM
well, a hip/spine where you launch off the front end and can land either side ( or one side )....like they had at the bottom of L. Sleighride 2-3 yrs. ago. OR something like that cuz it's easier to land on and thus learn and have fun. i didn't have to worry about misjudging jumping distances and such. It's easy landing on the sides. you can catch some good air and actually get 2 jumps by launching off the downhill end also.

W/the undermaned and creative input issues, it's too bad the Mtn couldn't at least have a volunteer helper program were people and school kids could pitch in.

However, this is really starting to sound like a major improvement. That could be a important boost for the Mtn.

Yup we'll (again, hopefully) have it. Aisle 5 on the left :lol:. Problem is I never really believe a whole lot till I see it.

Haha myself and one or two other friends are the volunteer crew. When putting in rails and stuff we're always around helping. Or if I see something that needs to be cared for real bad, I'll grab a rake and fix it up quick. The problem with having an official volunteer program is the laibility. Also the reason I haven't had a job for the past 2 years

10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Volunteer workers in a park is def. a liability risk. Not saying the volunteers don't know what they are doing,,,rather the shark attnys will point to this....when the suit happens. The last two briefs I read involved broken necks....in both cases the attny's argue either the ramp angle up, or the landing angle.....Poor design was the cause of the broken neck..not the fact that the kid couldn't ride/ski well enough to do the gaps. If those cases had volunteer labor----forget the facts, write the checks. Right or wrong.

Snowballs
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
oh, i don't know. volunteers can do alot more than element design. they would also receive direction/supervision from the Gore employee. any lawyer who couldn't successfully rebutt w/ " the elements are all up to and within industry standards. all volunteers are supervised and don't not work alone or make changes to the park elements " isn't worth a grain of salt.

10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I am all for volunteers.....I do it (not in the park--yet) just saying that when a suit happens....Jurors are about as dumb as they come. That or bored. Anyone can argue anything, but who is listening? Yep, a good defense attny could show all the facts (which really do not matter in the end). All plaintiff attny has to do is say....Look broken neck, can't walk or ski ever again....he paid $75 dollars for a lift ticket....and those money grubbers used volunteer labor which contributed to my client's injury...pay him, don't let that nasty ski company have profits.

This is a good thread about the new Wild Air---if we want to continue down this vein, lets do it outside this thread.

Get welding boys.....(not that I will ride the rails). Just a jumper.

Denison
10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
fujative, you seem to know what is going to be built, will there be some small 1-2 ft jumps or separate area for beginners / little kids ?

fujative.
10-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Right at the top of the park, on skiers right is what we have planned for a little jump line, Similar to the ones in upper Sleighride this year. also down where lower Sleighright on skiers right there might be a few more. They will probably actually be about 8-10 feet to the landing, but they're small enough where the kids can land virtually anywhere on them.

10-14-2009, 01:03 AM
How about a roller field. That flat spot would be perfect for this. The kind you see at the bottom of gate race training. 6 or 7 rollers about 2 feet high. Kids and adults love these too. Great for mogul lessons too!

Snowballs
12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I saw on the Mtn's home page they're going to film their new TV commercial this weekend at the terrain elements. Fuj, do you have to work all weekend or there a Cameo appearance in the commercial for you?

fujative.
12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Well I haven't started working yet, so I'm guessing I'll make an appearance.

Snowballs
12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Cool. Mama will be proud.

colonel klink
12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
sounds like Fuja is working/inputting ideas w/the park personal. not only is that cool but it could produce an improved product. Two heads are better than one. Fuja is supposed to be a top Park Gnome at Gore and should have good ideas. .

A lack of creative input has never been the problem, the problem is that a certain someone doesn't listen to his workers suggestions/the suggestions from the general public and runs the park without considering these ideas. To build a successful park you need to sample a little bit of everyone’s ideas. This allows you to have a park that is not specific to skiiers or snowboarders and also offers up things for every ability level.

Two years ago there was a capable parkcrew of 5 plus Jason the cat driver so 6 total. Everyone on it had a good understanding of how to build and maintain a park and was more than willing to go out of the way to ensure things were kept in good condition. They all rode the park on a daily basis and knew what improvements needed to be made but their suggestions went ignored. Last year the park was staffed by 4 people plus Jason, Chris and Dan being the two more in-tune workers and two other people who were not the best suited to say the least. Chris and Dan put a lot of work into the park but once again their ideas went ignored. HOPEFULLY, Ted aka Fuja, will get a job working in the park and Dan will be hired back too. Knowing Ted personally I can say Ted knows what’s up and hiring him would be a good choice on the mountains part.

The park has been given virtually zero budget, but that isn't too much of a problem really. There are a lot of things that can be built from scratch with things hanging around the mountain. Although metal for rails isn't cheap it sure is a lot cheaper than buying a rail and having it shipped in from Colorado, which sometimes takes half the season to get here.

colonel klink
12-16-2009, 10:29 PM
It's also interesting to note that the park manager tried to have several peoples passes pulled becasue of the criticism they gave of him/his work on this website and another website. Some certain people are at risk of losing their job becasue of it too.

In my opinion that is absolutely ridiculous to do. Revoke something that someone paid good money for over a statement of opinion.

Lbtchnlgs
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
It's also interesting to note that the park manager tried to have several peoples passes pulled becasue of the criticism they gave of him/his work on this website and another website. Some certain people are at risk of losing their job becasue of it too.

In my opinion that is absolutely ridiculous to do. Revoke something that someone paid good money for over a statement of opinion.

More Gore!

colonel klink
12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I also have a string of messages from either the park manager at Gore or one of his buddies from another website I am debating on posting. His conduct and manners about these kind of things leaves a little to be desired.

He is not a good dude and should be kept on a very short leash and is holding back progress.

nyspnypd
12-19-2009, 04:20 PM

More Gore!

he pulls a pass over it take him to court.Voicing and opinion is not reason for a pass to be terminated. The park manager should either be disciplined or fired he shouldn't be doing that to begin with.

Lbtchnlgs
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Fuj anyone let you know the plans for the line-up in the park?

fujative.
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Well here are the original plans I drew up in Illustrator, but I'm not too confident that it'll actually turn out like this, especially because the park manager is afraid to make any rails over 20' and most of the stuff didn't get approved to buy materials or have them pre-made.
(Don't mind the mismatched fonts, I did it in school and haven't installed some of the fonts I used on my home computer yet.)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/tbattesh/Gores%20Park/WildAir.png

Snowballs
12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
That would friggin rock! Even half of that would be da bomb. Is this suppose extend from Sunway down to Lower Sleighride? Please say yes. They would get ALOT! of business with all those features.

Got to admit it.......... " Wild Air! " is a great name for a terrain park.

mattchuck2
12-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I think in that pic, you can see Sleighride come in about halfway down on on the right . . .

Also, you can see where Stokes comes off of Wild Air almost all the way down, skier's left . . .

But I'd imagine that they'd favor a plan that keeps the Sleighride/Stokes avenue available for people who don't want to get involved in park elements . . .

Lbtchnlgs
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Handful of rails/boxes skiiers left, on left of towers. No jumps yet. Looks like they maybe tried to shape a jump down at the bottom... It was awfully sad looking though.

The rails looked decent, though from the lift the c-box take off was terrible but later in the afternoon someone from park crew was walking around with a shovel so i'm sure they'll fix it. Didn't hit any of the elements because I was riding my big board, maybe next week. I really need to invest in another pair of bindings; switing from split, to mountain, to park board is a pain w/ only one pair

fujative.
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I think in that pic, you can see Sleighride come in about halfway down on on the right . . .

Also, you can see where Stokes comes off of Wild Air almost all the way down, skier's left . . .

But I'd imagine that they'd favor a plan that keeps the Sleighride/Stokes avenue available for people who don't want to get involved in park elements . . .

I heard from a friend that Pratt said we have to stop at Sleighride, but I heard from my boss that Pratt said we can go all the way to Quicksilver or 3b or whatever it is down there, as long as we stay to skiers right of the gondi from Sleighride to Stokes. If you look at the trail map it has it double lined from Sleighride to Stokes with the black on skiers right, and blue on skiers left. The black (park) continues down to 3b/Quicksilver.

The thing I'm concerned about is the biggest jumps are going to be down on the lower part of Wild Air next to stokes. If people decided to come down Sleighride, the joeys can still poach the jumps, roll over the lips, cut everyone off, ect.

The map makes it look a lot better than it will be. To scale, the stuff is going to be at least half the size. So in the map it looks pretty full but really it's pretty empty. So unless we actually get some funds to buy more stuff and fill it out, I sorta think we would have been better off just leaving the park on Sleighride.

Harvey44
01-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I learned this weekend that I've really underestimated the need for solid park skills for a tree skier.

Especially an early season tree skier.

While some passageways have handicap access:

http://s3.postimage.org/16cACA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq16cACA)

... many of the entrances require good rail skills.

Fuje ... would you teach a teleboy to ride the rails? :lol:

I like the sparks!

Snowballs
01-03-2010, 04:48 PM
hehehe. last i heard, you were Joey-ing the park Harv. Here's a hint....don't ever tell the Park Rats that you're hitting their jumps without hitting the elements. They don't like that. :D

fujative.
01-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I learned this weekend that I've really underestimated the need for solid park skills for a tree skier.

Especially an early season tree skier.

While some passageways have handicap access:

http://s3.postimage.org/16cACA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq16cACA)

... many of the entrances require good rail skills.

Fuje ... would you teach a teleboy to ride the rails? :lol:

I like the sparks!

If you enjoy having round edges, sure! Although I'm not sure how similar doing them on alpine vs. tele would be. A friend of mine was throwing some decent stuff on tele the other day though. Sliding all the rails/boxes, and did a 5 on the last jump. Landing switch (backwards) on tele really had me amazed.

last i heard, you were Joey-ing the park Harv. Here's a hint....don't ever tell the Park Rats that you're hitting their jumps without hitting the elements. They don't like that. Very Happy
This! hah. Main issue with the park being on Wild Air right now is the amount of non-terrain park traffic going through there. I don't blame them cause I was making some nice gs turns and it was the only place on the mountain I could hold an edge. But the smaller jumps are there for learning on, the lips for rails/boxes are for hitting the rails/boxes. And if there's a couple of people waiting around in front of a feature, it's probably best to not go between them and the feature or worse go off the lip for the rails/box - chances are you're cutting someone off who has been waiting to hit it. Even worse is taking your kids over the lips for the rails/bigger jumps. :roll:

Harvey44
01-04-2010, 06:32 AM
if there's a couple of people waiting around in front of a feature, it's probably best to not go between them and the feature or worse go off the lip for the rails/box - chances are you're cutting someone off who has been waiting to hit it.

Fuje - I guess when you put the park on wild air, and it has the best or only decent snow, you get Joeys and Harvs in there. What I was doing was hitting the lips on the upper rails at the very top, skiers left. I definitely did not understand that I shouldn't be using them. There were grooves on those lips that indicated that people were using them like I was, and it sounds like that's a problem.

I may be park uneducated, but I know what cutting someone off is about, and I was aware of others around me.

Maybe a big sign at the top with a park notes for the masses. If there was one I missed it.

My original post was kind of a joke, but I learned something. Thanks.

Snowballs
01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
No worries, Harv. I've Joey-ed a bit on Sleighride myself. When there's few other jumps on the hill, i've also hit the jumps for the park elements while skipping the rails. :oops: Not sure it does any harm as long as one doesn't just roll over them. For me it's a once and a while thing. Now that Gore has more of a park, there SHOULD be jumps for us like Fuj said.

Landing switch on Tele-ies would be boss. Let us know if you perfect it.

Harv, I noticed you skied 4-5 sucessive days on Tele-ies. It's early season and yo legs can't be in that kinda Tele shape from skiing. I doubt that you go skiing just for an hour or three. What do you do to keep in shape? Strap logs on your back and hike hills? Carry Fatties up five flights of stairs ? Are you on the juice? what's your secret? That's was a rather robust performance for a 50ish weatherdude. :wink:

fujative.
01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
if there's a couple of people waiting around in front of a feature, it's probably best to not go between them and the feature or worse go off the lip for the rails/box - chances are you're cutting someone off who has been waiting to hit it.

Fuje - I guess when you put the park on wild air, and it has the best or only decent snow, you get Joeys and Harvs in there. What I was doing was hitting the lips on the upper rails at the very top, skiers left. I definitely did not understand that I shouldn't be using them. There were grooves on those lips that indicated that people were using them like I was, and it sounds like that's a problem.

My original post was kind of a joke, but I learned something. Thanks.

It's not really a big deal, especially if there aren't a whole lotta people around. It just gets frustrating when there is a group of people seshing it and someone comes through doing that. I usually keep the hate to a minimum but there's a reason park rats have a bad reputation.. stereotypes have to come from somewhere. Definitely plenty of kids out there sippin' on the hatorade.

The post was moreso disguised at directed to you but for all to read, members and non-members.. I figured it was a joke but though it'd be good to throw it out there. No hard feelings.

SIAWOL
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
"There were grooves on those lips that indicated that people were using them like I was, and it sounds like that's a problem."

Never fully understood that. If I take off from it over the top (not off to the side of the takeoff), what does it matter if I hit the rail or not? The feature is still maintained, ain't it?

Had a park ranger from Whiteface chase me down last year and read me the riot act about it. Wasn't worth arguing with him so I just yes'd him and moved on...

Snowballs
01-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Those were my thoughts too, Siawol. They are fun jumps for launching. :D

But I suppose the extra traffic may wear them down quicker and thus require more unnecessary work OR be a safety issue in that the expected launch may not be good enough to gain sufficient elevation.

Still, it's sometimes hard to have sympathy for a bunch of bad attitude boarders.

I know, I know, they're getting better and not all are punks but there are a few standouts. Is that what poles are for?

Harvey44
01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Can someone define Joey?

I can honestly say I will probably never land switch on purpose. Don't mistake my enthusiasm for expertise.

The most days I ever skied consecutively was nine, last christmas and the year before. By day eight I was totally whipped and could barely get my skis around. I almost always start first thing (except spring) and go til about 3:15. If I am alone (sans family) I'll ski til close, and maybe hit the Tannery.

I am not in great shape. Not bad, but not great. I run on adrenaline. I just love skiing.

My biggest problem is getting home. The stretch between Albany and the NJ border is sooooo boring. Sometimes I have such a hard time staying awake that I have to take naps, and a 5 hr drive stretches to seven.

Back to the thread at hand ... I definitely didn't roll over the top of those jumps. I was going to say that I'll stay out of there, but I'll go back in and learn by watching. And I promise to stop asking every guy in there if his name is Ted.

Fuje - sorry I didn't hear you when you called out. Where on the hill was that? I'm in dreamland when I ski.

Snowballs
01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Fuje - sorry I didn't hear you when you called out. Where on the hill was that? I'm in dreamland when I ski.

I believe that was me you Old Fart. Either way, you need to move up here where you belong and ditch that " deadfull " drive to Jersey. There is not a one of us anywhere , who enjoyed hearing that you are falling asleep on your way home! What are you thinking ? You have a following damn it ! People are gonna be monster sad if anything happens to you and the Harvetts on your way home. You need to cut that out immediately. Just move up here where you know you belong and start to truly, really enjoy life. You and yours will love it here! Guaranteed. Word. It's Mega Cool. 8)

fujative.
01-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Never fully understood that. If I take off from it over the top (not off to the side of the takeoff), what does it matter if I hit the rail or not?

I guess it's generally frowned upon from the stereotype of people doing it. The majority of the people you see doing it are the weekend warriors headed out who are unaware of their surroundings and/or cutting people off. Like I said it wasn't directed right towards Harv, I know he's a respectable skier whose going to be aware if his surroundings. Just in general a lot of park kids are little piss ants and won't be too happy with it, a friendly warning.

Can someone define Joey?

I can honestly say I will probably never land switch on purpose. Don't mistake my enthusiasm for expertise

Back to the thread at hand ... I definitely didn't roll over the top of those jumps. I was going to say that I'll stay out of there, but I'll go back in and learn by watching. And I promise to stop asking every guy in there if his name is Ted.

Jersey/Downstate Gaper.

Don't get too worried about the not landing switch thing. Skiing switch is a task in itself, let alone landing like that off a jump. Especially on tele. Although it's pretty awesome, definitely not something needed in your bag o tricks to be a good all mountain skier. Then again... I would enjoy seeing a guy in his mid 50's making some switch carves on tele :D

I'm not trying to scare you out by any means, the best way of learning is experience. I know when I'm older I'm still going to be heading through the parks for some entertainment.

I saw you ripping on skiers right of the bottom jump, I think that's when I yelled your name. Then you were standing to skiers left of it spectating. I'm not sure if I called your name then or not. Then a few days later I saw you skiers left of Topridge when I was on TR3, but I didn't bother trying to yell because you were pretty Far away.

I was pretty hard to miss, but I ruined the zipper on my coat (Oh well it was time for a new one anyways). The one I'm using now is a bit harder to spot. Brown coat/Brown pants.
My setup from the past 2.5 seasons:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1934/46/64/725686189/n725686189_1784393_6981.jpg

OK time to stop procrastinating... back to physics/eco homework.

bsmaven
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I rode this park several times on several weekends since Dec. always somebody being hauled away. Why? Because as usual the terrain parks at gore are light years behind vermont areas. Please go to okemo gore people and see how it should be done. Wild air has people and little kids skiing across approaches to jumps or cutting in and going off jumps when people are dropping in. The jumps and landings do not look like they are designed in the right proportions and they are rutted ard iced up on approach and landing. How are you supposed to go off the first jump when you have to go sideways (or under the rope) to hit it?

At least sleighride was roped off with some warning. I don't want to have to go through Stratton's video lesson before riding in the park but Gore must have lots of lawyers to just open up a trail with jumps with no warnings, no staff to keep an eye on terrain etiquette, and trails with non terrain riders crossing over. Who thinks of this stuff? You are better off spreading some jumps around the mountain to thin out the crowds. This place is run llke state workers are in charge.

jimmer
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I rode this park several times on several weekends since Dec. always somebody being hauled away. Why? Because as usual the terrain parks at gore are light years behind vermont areas. Please go to okemo gore people and see how it should be done. Wild air has people and little kids skiing across approaches to jumps or cutting in and going off jumps when people are dropping in. The jumps and landings do not look like they are designed in the right proportions and they are rutted ard iced up on approach and landing. How are you supposed to go off the first jump when you have to go sideways (or under the rope) to hit it?

At least sleighride was roped off with some warning. I don't want to have to go through Stratton's video lesson before riding in the park but Gore must have lots of lawyers to just open up a trail with jumps with no warnings, no staff to keep an eye on terrain etiquette, and trails with non terrain riders crossing over. Who thinks of this stuff? You are better off spreading some jumps around the mountain to thin out the crowds. This place is run llke state workers are in charge.
please refere too excuse 142-7,and if that dosnt answer ur concerns,well, its cause mike pratt said....

Snowballs
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM

please refere too excuse 142-7,and if that dosnt answer ur concerns,well, its cause mike pratt said....

hehehehe^^^

bsmaven said " Who thinks of this stuff? " hehehe. Why it's the same braintrust who " thunked up " the Ski Train, the lift to downtown North Creek and the lift from the Ski Bowl base to Gore's base!

Don't forget all the Forests who support, nay applaud! these outrageous ideas. You know who you are. :wink:

Yepper, can't wait to see what next year brings........

fujative.
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
How are you supposed to go off the first jump when you have to go sideways (or under the rope) to hit it?

The rope was originally up about 20' higher. Patrol made us lower it so people would see the sign.

At least sleighride was roped off with some warning. I don't want to have to go through Stratton's video lesson before riding in the park but Gore must have lots of lawyers to just open up a trail with jumps with no warnings

We do have signs. They're at the entrance to every terrain park and a few scattered throughout them.

no staff to keep an eye on terrain etiquette
We currently have 5 people working terrain park. Usually 2 on hill midweek and 3 on weekend. We try telling some people about etiquette, they usually get offended and ski away. Last year we ordered a bunch of pamphlets with park safety stuff that we handed out to people, we'd usually find them on the trail about 50 feet down.

The hardest part about trying to keep the park orderly is only having 1 park on-hill (there's JibLand too, but I wouldn't really consider that on-hill) is that there is no beginner, medium, and large parks. Everyone goes through the same park, and it keeps things on the hectic side. If I had a say on what happened with how the park was ran, there are definitely quite a few things I'd do different.

Jeff
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Fuj, you guys deserve a lot of credit for putting up with a difficult situation on Wild Air. As an observer and not a participant in the terrain park, I have to say that the park looks the best that it's ever been. Keep at it. Would it be possible to move the park down-mountain and squeeze the features into the area of Stokes and the skier's left half of Arena? A more significant fence could be constructed across the top of Stokes to provide better separation, and the park would still have visibility from the lift, plus the added benefit of great visibility from the base area. Don't know if everything could be compressed into that area, just thinkin'.... BTW, is it you or one of the other park guys who wears pants with a Plattekill patch?

fujative.
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Fuj, you guys deserve a lot of credit for putting up with a difficult situation on Wild Air. As an observer and not a participant in the terrain park, I have to say that the park looks the best that it's ever been. Keep at it. Would it be possible to move the park down-mountain and squeeze the features into the area of Stokes and the skier's left half of Arena? A more significant fence could be constructed across the top of Stokes to provide better separation, and the park would still have visibility from the lift, plus the added benefit of great visibility from the base area. Don't know if everything could be compressed into that area, just thinkin'.... BTW, is it you or one of the other park guys who wears pants with a Plattekill patch?

It has been brought up but there needs to be a non-park trail from Sleighride down to the arena. Also, seeing as I'd say there isn't even enough stuff on the main part of Wild Air itself to be full enough that gives us a reason to expand.

The guy with the Plattekill patch is Chad, not me.

bsmaven
02-23-2010, 02:41 PM

It has been brought up but there needs to be a non-park trail from Sleighride down to the arena. Also, seeing as I'd say there isn't even enough stuff on the main part of Wild Air itself to be full enough that gives us a reason to expand.

The guy with the Plattekill patch is Chad, not me.

Hey fuj I didn't mean to pick on you, sounds like you were not responsible for the situation...or snooki. Anyway having the entrance on the side and only a rope to block entrance, not a snow fence, any signage is difficult to see. Also by starting out with small features at top everyone and heir grandchildren think they can ride through. And once they enter its hard to tell what side of the trail to head down if you want to avoid the bigger features below. so people who are just druisng through ride down the right side because at the top the rails are on the left, then they end up crossing over the approach to the first big feature. Maybe some fencing before that would direct non-terrain users to the left at that point and keep people coming down from the left from suddenly crossing in to approach that feature without waiting their turn.