PDA

View Full Version : Winter seasonal rental experience

Denison
05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I plan to rent a house for the 09/10 season. has anyone done one it before, suggestions?

St. Jerry
05-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I own a place. Rentals were horrible for me last season. Our agency was only able to rent out for three weeks for the whole ski season. Didn't even get a rental for christmas/New Years week.

Wonder how last season was for other owners?

Denison
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM
St. Jerry,

Not to replace agency, but consider additional advertising on ADKbyOwner.com, that's where I look for rentals.

Christmas week comment: I found many owners would not break up that week, whereas I would prefer renting only 3-4 nights that early in season.

Jason in CP
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Denison,

http://www.gorerentals.com/sunway.htm

We went in with 2 other families for a long weekend last year and thought the place worked well. It's about 2 miles past the Gore entrance on PVR. I think it was $1200 for three nights. 3 bedrooms, 1 bunkroom for the kids and 2 full baths. It had a full kitchen, garage, sat tv, inc taxes & cleaning fees. Typical ADK home, clean, close to Gore/NC and spacious. We were there basically to eat & sleep, but we've all talked about booking it again for this coming year.

Denison
05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Last post made me realize that I'm not clear on my message again :oops:

I'm talking here about whole season rental, like from November/December into April.

I used to have share for one winter in West Dover, VT (in previous skiing life)
This year I seriously thinking about renting a house / apartment so to avoid trouble of finding a place to sleep every weekend / holidays.

So if anyone had experience on either side of the deal, do share!

jimmer
05-15-2009, 06:12 PM
try contacting brodrick realestate,there good people,and they do this sort of thing,there located rite in norh creek,at the four corners,rite in town...good luck

midwestblues
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
My family rented an apartment in North Creek 2 seasons ago. The place was a bit of a dump but the price and location were great. We found that we felt presure to come up every weekend becasue we had the rental. My 2 boys we 11 and 9 years old and were involved in activities that made it hard to go up all the time. We realized that it skiing every other weekend worked best for us. After doing the math, it made more sense to pay for hotels on the weekends we came up and not do a seasonal rental. If we skiied more or the money was not an issue, I would look to rent for the season again. Enjoy. Eric

adkskier
05-19-2009, 01:44 PM
There is something to be said for having a rental or owning a place. I rented for a long time and then bought and renovated. Even for 2 or 3 weekends a month, it's worth it not to have to load and unload everything each weekend. Once you are settled in for the season, the only things that you'll need to haul are groceries and clean laundry. One of the best investments I've ever made in terms of pleasure returned.

Harvey44
05-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah and if you are SUPER cheap like me, and you have a way cool wife who doesn't mind the rustic life... you can own a place like this for the cost of a rental:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/10/cabin-in-north-river.html

Last year I figured that my total cost of skiing was somewhere around $6000 including:

mortgage
taxes
2 season passes
1 child in bear cub den
gas from NJ
plowing
utilities

That's competitive with the cost of a seasonal rental I think. I didn't include food or laundry because you have to spend that money even if you stay home. The main thing is the mortgage and taxes are almost zero because the place is so dinky and considered seasonal by the taxman...not habitable in the winter. That math is a little funny because we have been doing things in chunks over the years...land first, then driveway, then cabin, then bathroom. The mortgage is only on the bathroom - the most expensive part by far. The rest is paid off.

It's not all a picnic. You own it...when there's an ice storm or whatever...you watch the radar and hope for the best. :shock:

Denison
05-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Harvey, I like your blog, good read.
I always wonder why is your cabin so tiny, like 12 by 18 feet... Having it built a bit bigger would not cost much more...

Harvey44
05-21-2009, 06:56 AM
It is pretty darn small.

The concept changed a bunch of times before we built it.

In our mind, it was originally a leanto. Then we thought....maybe if it is screened in we can use it during bug season. At one point it was 18' x 30'. One version had french doors = yikes. We finally settled on 12 x 18.

There are a few reasons for that. First was cost. I wasn't willing to have two mortgages, so I wanted to do it out of cash. I used my tax refund that year. Maintenance and taxes are really low.

Also we leave it unheated and (currently) heat it with word. That's also cheaper and easier in a smaller building. There are times when we show up and it's way below zero in there. We can get it up to a reasonable temp in a couple hours. It's also less work. I split the wood for next year in 4 hours a few weeks ago. We use about a cord per season.

The ultimate goal was to build a house on the property. It will go right were the bathroom is - the bathroom is built on skids and can be dragged out of the way with a backhoe. The cabin was conceived to ultimately be an outbuilding...maybe a guest house or art studio. We thought if it was too big it would be out of proportion with the house we dream about.

At the time we built it we weren't really regulars at Gore...we primarily skied the BC (Siamese)...both day skiing and winter camping. When you are used to either staying at garnet hill, or camping in the woods or on the property....12 x 18 seemed pretty big.

OH YEA...one more thing...we NEVER imagined a BABY in our life. If we had....we might have gone bigger.

Thread hijack over. :D

TomCat
09-03-2009, 02:27 PM
If you haven't found a place yet you may want to try some of the places that rent cabins if they will rent for the season. Should be cheaper than a whole house and the owner will likely incluide plowing (a significant cost last season). I've stayed at Dillon Hill cabins and Atateka and would recommend either one.

tom

I:)skiing
09-25-2009, 10:28 AM
My wife and I have a house one mile from Gore Mountain. We would love to do a seasonal rental. Call me if you would like to discuss it. :)

Snowballs
09-25-2009, 10:53 AM
there ya go denison.

and for a deal on a used car call Junior Samples at BR549. :lol:

Denison
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Well. I'm almost there. We went up with my son 2 weeks ago, checked out properties, made the decision and now I'm waiting to get rental agreement in the mail
I'm very excited about winter rental, hope to spend as much time as possible in the Gore area, including February school vacation week and pre-Easter (also school vacation) week.

Denison
11-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I did it - rented a house for full season. Big thanks to Patricia at Pearsall Realty http://www.pearsallrealty.com - she was very helpful.

I saw "rentals available" signs by Pearsall Realty office today, so stop by or call if you need to stay for a full season, holiday week or even weekend - you'll get your money worth.