PDA

View Full Version : What was the Gully?

I:)skiing
06-05-2009, 01:29 AM
I think I am calling it correctly.....the wide cut out area that is on the trail heading down to the BRQ from the base. I hiked this area when they were cutting the trails, but this "gully" was already cut and had old growth grasses on it. What was this area? Why was it cut out like this. This always struck me curious.

Spongeworthy
06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I think I am calling it correctly.....the wide cut out area that is on the trail heading down to the BRQ from the base. I hiked this area when they were cutting the trails, but this "gully" was already cut and had old growth grasses on it. What was this area? Why was it cut out like this. This always struck me curious.About 5 years ago, Gore-e Gully was some kind of terrain park

Snowballs
06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
yea, it was a hike in and then hike up affair. i believe there was a halfpipe of sorts there. not much over all.

06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
That is what I read on an old map or website. But I did not or would not believe it. Hike in, hike out, hike up after each run too.

I assume this site was not up and running when this was cut out and started. Otherwise I can only imagine the threads and comments.

rossi
06-08-2009, 08:51 PM
gore E gully started as a beginner area if im not mistaken with an old double chair that ran to the trees (exit of cirque). around 5yrs ago as said they made it into a park which was about the same as they have on sleighride, sub par. after that i dont know what happened to it.

St. Jerry
06-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Gore-E-Gully was once one of the steepest areas at Gore. Several years ago they blasted away the rock cliffs and chutes, so now there's not much left there.

06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
The terrain would be conducive to a beginner area....and it is secluded so blue/black skiers would not set fear into the new skiers. (this is one thing I think is very important in ski area design, and which Gore does well)

So....would they bus the beginners down? Back?

I did not see any signs of the chair as we walked the area....guess they pulled it out completely along with foundations?

MidnightCarving
06-16-2009, 10:03 PM
no; gore-e-gully started as a beginner area with a small double only slightly longer in run than the current j bar; i remember going over once as a kid and not being able to get off the lift; operator had to pull me off.... then maybe 3-4 years ago they turned it into a terrain park that was ok; i actually kind of liked it becuase of the short lift ride to do another couple shots at the park. however when BRQ went in they got rid of the chair and now the base of cirque glades is the old top of gore-e-gully. BTW, it was a hike in hike out kind of thing; but there is a slight downhill through the woods that brings you out just infront of the NASTAR hut/triple building.

St. Jerry
06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
No, I'm pretty sure that The Gully was the original x-treme section of Gore. This was before Rumor. They blasted out the steep section of Gore-E-Gully and moved the debris to the top of Rumor to make the steep headwall.

I don't think a lot of people know this, hence the name "Rumor".