PDA

View Full Version : Conference Center Underway

highpeaksdrifter
07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
I read in FLAME that work has begun. It didn’t say this in the article, but I’ve heard the cost is 18 million.

Also in FLAME there is an article on Gore. They will have snowmaking on the Sagamore trail this season and work has begun on their “Interconnect” project to the NC Ski Bowl, 5 more trails and a new triple.

I heard that ORDA doesn’t have enough money for snow making on Hoyt’s for this season. I find that……discouraging.

Snowballs
07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I heard that ORDA doesn’t have enough money for snow making on Hoyt’s for this season. I find that……discouraging.

i'm discouraged, but not surprised. doesn't seem like it would take alot to string snow making on Hoyt's. money must be tight.

Harvey44
07-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Maybe we could get by with a 17M conference center?

NPN
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Maybe somebody in the know could post why the money people think Gore projects are capable of bringing more return for the ORDA buck.

Snowballs
07-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Maybe somebody in the know could post why the money people think Gore projects are capable of bringing more return for the ORDA buck.

with all due respect, you gotta be kidding NPN. wait till they order that 9000' long Gondi to run from the BASE of Ski Bowl to the BASE of Gore so the Ski Bowl has access. yep, BASE to BASE, no skiing off of it. oh yeah, the guys on the Gore side of the board also like the proposal to have a Gondi from downtown North Creek to Gore. Whiteface improvement money maybe getting flushed down the Ski Bowl for sometime to come. read the interconnect thread, et al on the Gore side.

NPN
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM

with all due respect, you gotta be kidding NPN. wait till they order that 9000' long Gondi to run from the BASE of Ski Bowl to the BASE of Gore so the Ski Bowl has access. yep, BASE to BASE, no skiing off of it. oh yeah, the guys on the Gore side of the board also like the proposal to have a Gondi from downtown North Creek to Gore. Whiteface improvement money maybe getting flushed down the Ski Bowl for sometime to come. read the interconnect thread, et al on the Gore side.

Yes, and I appreciate the respect ( heartfelt, or not ), but I have to admit, I wasn't kidding.

I'd like somebody, who really gets this, to have the balls to put it out there for all of us to understand ( although I'd bet on Bernie M. joining me for a pop at Steinhof's before that happens ).

I know any number of land/home owners in North Creek who tell me this deal is a sinkhole. So, WTF!!!

Don't get me wrong, I want both areas to exceed all of our expectations, but this situation is about as functional as the NYS Senate.

Snowballs
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
^^^^what He said!!!^^^^ At last, some other soul who is not a " eyes wide shut yes man".

Harvey44
07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I'll admit my comment about the conference center was flip. I should have realized this would be an important issue to you guys on this side.

For a variety of reasons I never got to Whiteface this past year. I hadn't really looked at the WF trail map since spring of 07/08. And I wasn't familiar with the trail names associated with Lookout. In a way Hoyt's is the equivalent of Sagamore... the black diamond associated with the new lift. It does seem nuts not to fund the snowmaking there. It's like finishing the project. I'm assuming that Wilmington and/or Lookout Below got snowmaking. True?

(Somewhat unrelated...if someone could direct me to TRs with pictures of the Sugar Valley Glades...would LOVE to look.)

With regard to Lift 14 and the Gondi to Nowhere at Gore...it hasn't happened yet. It may never happen and can't be considered a waste of money before the money gets spent. The current work, is another modest fixed grip lift servicing some decent (but low altitude) terrain at the Ski Bowl. There's also a flat (some say worthless) connector trail in between the ski bowl and the main mountain. If it doesn't go any farther than that...it won't even make the top 100 most ridiculous things NY has ever spent money on.

I don't think anyone really KNOWS how North Creek will turn out. I'm just hoping for the best. I have to admit that I questioned a few ORDA decisions in the past, that I think, turn out to be pretty good. Topridge was something I was skeptical about - now I really think it's made a really positive difference at Gore. Also I'm impressed with the relentless expansion of tree skiing at Gore. While ORDA technically doesn't do all the work - they certainly permit it.

The conference center is a huge chunk of cash. It's a big job that will create construction jobs now, and meetings business in a few years when - I'm assuming - the meetings business will come back.

(Anybody in the hospitality business knows that the meetings business, this year, is almost dead in the water. Resort/meeting destinations are shifting all their marketing focus to leisure customers because they are still spending SOMETHING. Nobody wants to be seen spending in this environment. In the industry, the collapse of the meetings business is being called "the AIG effect.")

The timing on the conference center project, to me, looks good. Short term construction jobs now...sustainable industry in 2011 and beyond. I hope I'm right. If the meetings business isn't back by 2011, then we'll have bigger problems than snowmaking on Hoyts.

I'll keep my wish list for the 09/10 ski season short:

I hope Whiteface and Gore have a great year.

I hope Skiadk is still here when the snow flies.

And I hope I FINALLY get my shot at the slides.

Sorry for the ramble.

tjf67
07-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Yes, and I appreciate the respect ( heartfelt, or not ), but I have to admit, I wasn't kidding.

I'd like somebody, who really gets this, to have the balls to put it out there for all of us to understand ( although I'd bet on Bernie M. joining me for a pop at Steinhof's before that happens ).

I know any number of land/home owners in North Creek who tell me this deal is a sinkhole. So, WTF!!!

Don't get me wrong, I want both areas to exceed all of our expectations, but this situation is about as functional as the NYS Senate.

I know a few landowners in NC and to the contrary I dont think any of them think the expansion is a bad idea.

snowman
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Here is some info about the redesigned conference

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/507228.html

NPN
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM

I'd like somebody, who really gets this, to have the balls to put it out there for all of us to unerstand ( although I'd bet on Bernie M. joining me for a pop at Steinhof's before that happens ).

I know a few landowners in NC and to the contrary I dont think any of them think the expansion is a bad idea.

Sorry, I just got back in town from the 4th fun, and games.

But I guess, without posting names, and statements, we'll just have to agree to disagree (or not ).

I still think this is all a massive cluster f, but I'm not willing to bend friends, or others to press an already stated point.

Hope you all had a tasty 4th!

Snowballs
07-06-2009, 08:51 PM
i'll 2nd that.^^^

I:)skiing
07-08-2009, 02:20 AM
If someone could link to the planning details (I know ORDA has them) I would venture to say that this 18m project will pay for itself in less than 10 yrs.

Why: New york has lots and lots and lots of goverment workers/contract workers. They like conferences, bosses like conferences even better in home state venues. What employees (there are always some) would not want to take a three day venture to LP?

Baltimore Md, conferences are up due to their revamped conference center and "The Inner Harbor" Ok, after 10 minutes of walking, your sight seeing adventure is all the same. Add a ball game when the O's are in town. The rest is super over priced hotels and resturants. Baltimore is 1-2 hour dive from DC and Northern Va----loaded with goverment and contract workers. LPs conference center plan looks great and I believe LP has more "going on"; though I may be bias.

Thus, I feel the conference center will be a boom for LP businesses and local goverment. But a bust for any family wishing to spend a week in the little burg....that used to be a lesser expensive place to ski vacation, which will now cost more. Beers at my local bar used to be $1.00, now that money moved to town, I could (but don't) drop a $5.00. What was free parking 7 years ago is now $26.00 a day. You see....business travellers can expense all of this.

End result---push those skiers to Gore, with the expanded terrain and new, slow, lift to nowhere. They can drive to LP to spend Wednesday afternoon to recouperate before ending the week hard. ORDA is smater than you think, the money stays in the family :)

Then again, the town of Wilmington may get with it and start expandingto a greater degree. The problem is dynamic, not linear. Which makes prognostication so difficult, expecially at 3:30 am in the summer with snow nowhere in sight.

highpeaksdrifter
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Then again, the town of Wilmington may get with it and start expandingto a greater degree. The problem is dynamic, not linear. Which makes prognostication so difficult, expecially at 3:30 am in the summer with snow nowhere in sight.

I hope they never get with it the way you are implying. I like it the way it is.

NPN
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM

I hope they never get with it the way you are implying. I like it the way it is.

Here, here ( or hear, hear as I got corrected last year ( but still not sure I agree )) BIG TIME!!!

07-09-2009, 05:30 AM
On Wilmington, I agree is is nice the way it is.....this is one of the reasons that drew me to the town (we looked but did not purchase) But as that is multiplied, town councils change, attitudes change, land values change, life changes. If hotel rooms go up from $80 a night (guessing based on my last stay) at LP....to $125, they are bound to increase at Wilmington from $60 a night to $80....and then that changes the income level and profitability...which draws more folks in trying to turn a profit.

Back to the conference center.....it TOO will be a boom for little Wilmington and may begin the ball rolling. I will stereotype for one minute, please allow. A bridal show is held where 3000 women between the ages of 20-60 attend. If they drove to LP for a bridal show...they got cash. They have cars, because they did not fly into the conference. Most will stay in LP shopping, but if 10% ventured, that is 150 more cars, 300 more shoppers, sightseers in Wilmington. That is big. That is money. "this place is so cute, I am going to tell my brother...he is looking for a place in the mountains"

Having attended many conferences at conference centers...Bosses sometimes like to say "lets get out of this scene and get real local food" Eyes roll. 60 of us pile in cars and drive 10 miles to the "real" area resturants. Forgetting the fact that the planning committee picked the conference spot partially because you can walk to everything. Your close local area will be Wilmington. Remember expense accounts are purchasing the food---not skiers trying to tweek out an extra weekend skiing by living on the cheep. Watch prices rise.

Trusting I am dead wrong and it snows 500 inches this year.....

Snowballs
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Here, here ( or hear, hear as I got corrected last year ( but still not sure I agree )) BIG TIME!!!

Speaking of Wilmington, those on here with little kids might wanna check out Santa's workshop in Wilmington. It's a fun, quaint little place that kids love, after all.....Santa lives there!

http://www.northpoleny.com/

we used to go there then have a late picnic lunch on the Whiteface Memorial Highway and follow up with a swim in Mirror Lake or the Bouquet River - Split Rock Falls! a real nice family day.

07-10-2009, 05:23 AM
[quote="http://www.northpoleny.com/

.[/quote]

THUMBS UP a must stop for any family with children, of any age.

07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Two of my employees recently attended or will attend "conferences". Here is a tale...

Basketball Conference at Penn State...300 teams of girls age 13-14. Penn State is a huge area with lots of hotels.....he had to stay 20 minutes out of town. Still paid 89 dollars a night.

Twillers event....very young girls who I guess twirl things and parents fly places to let them compete. Noterdame/Indiana College campus....Not sure how many twirllers are coming. But the town knows they are....hotel prices jump for that week alone from mid 80s to well over 170.00

I also mentioned goverment workers going away on conference......check Fox News $700,000 recently spent at AZ conference site for social security managers.
http://fncu.foxnews.com/2009/07/13/biz-beat-opinion-all-the-president%e2%80%99s-men/

Again, I think this is great for the town and population, businesses of LP. Just not the weekend warriors or families taking a ski trip to LP.

Snowballs
07-17-2009, 03:28 AM
I also mentioned goverment workers going away on conference......check Fox News $700,000 recently spent at AZ conference site for social security managers.
http://fncu.foxnews.com/2009/07/13/biz-beat-opinion-all-the-president%e2%80%99s-men

WHAT A BUNCH OF BS!!!! all that money, PLUS air fare, PLUS expenses, PLUS meals for Government employees to go party at a " swank hotel "!!! WTF!!! these conferences are nothing but parties wrapped in the guise of useless eduction - information that they could learn back at their office.

THIS year's budget deficit is now heading to 2 TRILLION DOLLARS....5 TIMES greater the any other year....5 TIMES!!!

OBAMA & CO have ANOTHER 2-3 TRILLION dollar deficit in next year's budget.....which in the end will actually up being 4+ trillion for 09-10.

there is no freegin way we can sustain this debt. you mark my word......we are gonna crash and crash hard. they're gonna print so much worthless money you could fill the Mariannas Trench with it.

it's never gonna change until the economy/government completely collapses.

ComeBackMudPuddles
07-17-2009, 07:42 AM
http://fncu.foxnews.com/2009/07/13/biz-beat-opinion-all-the-president%e2%80%99s-men

WHAT A BUNCH OF BS!!!! all that money, PLUS air fare, PLUS expenses, PLUS meals for Government employees to go party at a " swank hotel "!!! WTF!!! these conferences are nothing but parties wrapped in the guise of useless eduction - information that they could learn back at their office.

THIS year's budget deficit is now heading to 2 TRILLION DOLLARS....5 TIMES greater the any other year....5 TIMES!!!

OBAMA & CO have ANOTHER 2-3 TRILLION dollar deficit in next year's budget.....which in the end will actually up being 4+ trillion for 09-10.

there is no freegin way we can sustain this debt. you mark my word......we are gonna crash and crash hard. they're gonna print so much worthless money you could fill the Mariannas Trench with it.

it's never gonna change until the economy/government completely collapses.

http://blackcynic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/SayNo-Politics.png

Baldtodabone
07-18-2009, 12:14 AM
I'll agree you can't blame this mess we're in on one side or the other. They both got us here through greed! Our country isn't run by the people its run by who have the money to sway the votes of those we have elected. I don't think the Dems or Repubs are exempt from this. I partly agree with snowballs things won't change till everything really crashes. You can't blame it on Obama though, I mean we've spent almost a trillion on Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001. That's Trillion with a capitol T!!!!!!