PDA

View Full Version : Great New Back Country at Gore

Snowballs
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
this photo shows new trail work at Gore. this should be the trail from the Ski Bowl back to BRQ. if they get snowmaking on this trail it will open a new very large Back Country/trees area.

http://goremountain.com/mountain/photos.cfm

on this map link below, notice the large triangle shaped area between skier's left on Sags and the trail that leads from BRQ summit to the Pipeline trail. the new interconnect trail at the bottom returns you to BRQ.

http://www.goremountain.com/UMP/press/Map_2_-_SEIS_Project_Relation_Map.pdf

this area is large. It's got steeps. It's northeast oriented. It will have huckable boulders. the steepness of it should expose at least small cliffs and chutes. be careful - some maybe large! the powerline we see from Peaceful Valley Road crosses this area and will provide an avenue through the woods.

Powers that be take note! the interconnect lift #14 will have to cross this power line! Sure hope you got that figured into your miscalculations. Glad i could help.

Sags' location on this map is wrong. the area is actually much larger than the map shows.

Who's gonna be first? anybody wanna have a clandestine work party?

mattchuck2
07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, some people were skiing some of that terrain last year (when it wasn't cut)

It should be pretty sick this year . . . Are they going to run the shuttle, or will we have to leave a car down there?

Snowballs
07-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, some people were skiing some of that terrain last year (when it wasn't cut)

It should be pretty sick this year . . . Are they going to run the shuttle, or will we have to leave a car down there?

did you hit it last year?

the photo looks like they're dressing up the Gore side of the interconnect trail. so one would be able to exit the woods onto this trail and pole/ski over to BRQ, depending on what part of the woods you exit.

these trails being cut makes you wanna go hike around up there, doesn't it ?

any clandestine ops....i'll help. " Black Sheep to Squadron Leader,over....." hehehe

or.....

" Yoooogi, the Raaanger's comin!!! "

"What's that Boo Boo?"

mattchuck2
07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
I never got to hit it, but the entrance some people were using was off the BRQ (that's about as specific as I'll get), then they used a car to shuttle back up.

And yes, I do want to go hike around a little to see what's up.

Depending on if they cut some of the trails pictured on the map, you should be able to see the progress from North Creek, right? You can see that ridge from the town, and it would look pretty obvious if there were some trails coming down it (you can actually almost make out some of the old trail lines if you look close).

skimore
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
if they get snowmaking on this trail it will open a new very large Back Country/trees area.

How does snowmaking equate to more backcountry?

Snowballs
07-06-2009, 09:01 PM
if they get snowmaking on this trail it will open a new very large Back Country/trees area.

well, you'ld need snowmaking on the interconnect trail so when you exit the woods, you could ski the interconnect trail back to BRQ. without snowmaking the natural snow will get skied off quick. the woods are big, but the returning trail is narrow.

skimore
07-06-2009, 10:11 PM

well, you'ld need snowmaking on the interconnect trail so when you exit the woods, you could ski the interconnect trail back to BRQ. without snowmaking the natural snow will get skied off quick. the woods are big, but the returning trail is narrow.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh.................if there's enough snow to be in the trees, but not on the interconnet(which I doubt would be the case)............stay in the trees

Snowballs
07-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! did you not look at the map? by doing what ya said that limits one to the right side only of that BIG piece of woods............very limiting......one sided........narrow vision..........injun say....woods big, handle many skiers......return trail narrow, skied off fast white man. make snow not waves. 8)

skimore
07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! did you not look at the map? by doing what ya said that limits one to the right side only of that BIG piece of woods............very limiting......one sided........narrow vision..........injun say....woods big, handle many skiers......return trail narrow, skied off fast white man. make snow not waves. 8)

I'm more implying that the return trail ain't going to be an issue if there's enough snow to be in those trees. Narrow, flat return trail isn't going to be getting skied off. Probably would have better snow preservation from being skier packed

Hoser
07-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Gore site lists "Eagle's Nest" as a new run, anyone know what this refers to? I can guess its the connector from the Pipeline to the base of BRQ.
Expanded Cirque Glades mentioned also.....now I am curious!

Harvey44
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Gore site lists "Eagle's Nest" as a new run, anyone know what this refers to? I can guess its the connector from the Pipeline to the base of BRQ. Expanded Cirque Glades mentioned also.....now I am curious!

You got it exactly right:

"Guests should look for the opening of "Eagle's Nest," an intermediate trail that connects from the Pipeline Trail to the base of the Burnt Ridge Quad. In improving access to Burnt Ridge, the Cirque Glades will be extended all the way to the base of the lift and work will be done to regrade the "Cedars" trail."

Snowballs
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
well, then i wonder how are we getting to the eagles nest this year ? are they putting snowmaking on the pipeline? or just opening it when there's sufficient coverage? or are they also cutting the trail from the top of Burnt to the pipeline? either way, i bet the woodies will like the big triangle piece of woods. some of it looks like it's fairly steep. i'ld bet my left almond there's small cliffs w/chutes.

hey, isn't it great they're spending some coin and making the hill even better.

Anybody hit that cookout the lifties had at the bottom of BRQ last year? my kid thought that was the bomb.

Hoser
07-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Yeah, hit the snow kitchen and the free dogs they were giving out. Cool deal, unexpected.

Snowballs
07-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, hit the snow kitchen

that " snow kitchen " (lol) was kinda neat. they had some work in building that.

SIAWOL
07-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Yeah, hit the snow kitchen

that " snow kitchen " (lol) was kinda neat. they had some work in building that.

Wasn't "official" title "Burnt Ridge Lodge" or something? I seem to recall that on the blackboard they had set up...

Agreed--very cool. Definitely added a sweet vibe to the runs over there that day.

Snowballs
07-13-2009, 06:17 AM
now that you mention it, you are correct....Burnt Ridge Lodge! hehehe. it was actually kinda nice. right on the vibe part, too. it was cool talking to people while waitng in the chow line and then while chomping some dogs. one Lady, w/wiener in hand, told me those lift side cookouts are common over seas. it was also cool on the lifties part-nice thing for them to do. i think they did it for 3? days.

my kid can be cheap. i didn't have any cash on me, but i knew he had dollars in his ski jacket as i always make sure he carries a few bucks. anyway, i asked him to put some money in the tip jar at Burnt Ridge Lodge. "OK." so we get up to the front and he puts in like .12! :shock: hehehe. "Cough it up, Kid!". Me and the other patrons razzed him a little about that one.

i know, i know.......where was my cash? back in the car. :oops:

Denison
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Gore site lists "Eagle's Nest" as a new run, anyone know what this refers to? I can guess its the connector from the Pipeline to the base of BRQ.
Expanded Cirque Glades mentioned also.....now I am curious!

Here is image if new connector Eagle Nest appearing on Gore website today:
http://goremountain.com/admin/db/images/20090717103938825.jpg