PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Heels Help Needed

Harvey44
07-06-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm thinking it's time to see if my girl likes alpine gear.

While she probably thinks she could care less, we might ski together more if her heels were fixed.

I've always assumed alpine boots aren't the most comfortable. And for her - I KNOW - comfort is the most important criteria. Her current teleboots are the ONLY pair of footwear she owns that don't cause her problems. Crispi Lady something or others.

So I'm thinking...we'll rent boots one time, with the understanding that she should decide if she likes fixed heeling, NOT the specific boots.

Then if she's up for it, I'd like to buy her something supremely comfortable.

One piece of advice I heard was custom footbeds. Another said that was BS. Nobody seems to care about brand...what are the differences?

Oh yea ...who's the best alpine boot fitter in the Adks or GF? Does anybody stand behind inside edge? They did a great job on my teleboots.

Thanks for whatever you know.

highpeaksdrifter
07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
One piece of advice I heard was custom footbeds. Another said that was BS. Nobody seems to care about brand...what are the differences?

Oh yea ...who's the best alpine boot fitter in the Adks or GF? Does anybody stand behind inside edge? They did a great job on my teleboots.

Thanks for whatever you know.

Harv, I suggest Stiener's Sports in Glemont. http://steinerssports.com/

Ask for Garick, he is a certified America's Best bootfitter and also the owner. I've recommended him to people who have had problems with boot pain. All raved about the quality of his work and said it was well worth the trip. It would be an easy stop off the Thruway for you on your way to Gore.

I'm sure there are alot of other great boot fitters, but I feel very confortable recommending Garick to anyone.

skimore
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
If the boots you purchase don't have Thermofit or Intuition liners...........throw 'em out and get a pair.....will be 10 times more comfortable. One of best ski equipment investments you can make. The wrap around entry eliminates the tongue issue with most liners. Plus they are lighter, keep feet dry and warm, dry easily as you can remove them from the shell with no effort and put them back in just as easy. Mine dry just by removing overnight. None of that boot drying crap. I watch some of my friends go through all kinds of gyrations to get theirs back in the shell. I can pull mine out and back in with 2 fingers

http://www.intuitionliners.com

Snowballs
07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
if she locks and loads, she's gonna burn you on the trails.

fwiw, it always seemed to me people with alotta boot problems bought the wrong boot......keep looking. imo.

Harvey44
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Ask for Garick, he is a certified America's Best bootfitter and also the owner. I've recommended him to people who have had problems with boot pain. All raved about the quality of his work and said it was well worth the trip. It would be an easy stop off the Thruway for you on your way to Gore.

I'm sure there are alot of other great boot fitters, but I feel very confortable recommending Garick to anyone.

That is pretty darn convenient. Love taking 9W instead of 87 whenever there is an excuse. Thanksgiving weekend or maybe this September when we take our week up in North Creek. Will definitely check Garick out. (Will they have ski stuff out in Sept?)

If the boots you purchase don't have Thermofit or Intuition liners...........throw 'em out and get a pair.....will be 10 times more comfortable. One of best ski equipment investments you can make. The wrap around entry eliminates the tongue issue with most liners. Plus they are lighter, keep feet dry and warm, dry easily as you can remove them from the shell with no effort and put them back in just as easy. Mine dry just by removing overnight. None of that boot drying crap. I watch some of my friends go through all kinds of gyrations to get theirs back in the shell. I can pull mine out and back in with 2 fingers

http://www.intuitionliners.com

This is key piece of info for me. My teleboots have Intuition liners. Maybe that explains why they are so warm and comfortable. I didn't know those liners were made for other types of boots - the website shows a guy waterskiing. I got my T2s at Inside Edge and one of the guys there cooked the Intuitions in this homemade cardboard oven they had. They packed out the toes for extra wiggle room.

Hell if alpine boots can be as comfy as teleboots I might have to try a pair. Still seems like cheating though. 8)

Thanks guys.

adkskier
07-14-2009, 06:07 PM
The most important components for comfortable alpine boots are custom footbeds. For some reason, all of the boot makers sell you an expensive boot with a cheap piece of cardboard crap for a foot bed. She should take her time and buy whatever boot fits well regardless of brand. Different boots fit different shaped feet so you may need to shop more than one ski shop. Plan on spending a couple of hours potentially. Short of some sort of deformity, there's no reason that she won't find a comfortable boot.

Harvey44
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM

I'm sure there are alot of other great boot fitters, but I feel very comfortable recommending Garick to anyone.

I'm going to try to hit Steiners on Saturday on our way up if our 3 year old will tolerate it.

Would love to hear ski recommendations as well. Basically my wife is an advanced beginner who will attempt anything up to about Chatiemac or Open Pit. Her current teles are 70mm in the waist, with a decent amount of sidecut. She's going to need that sidecut to keep skiing on the upper mtn without freaking out. But I'd like to go a little wider to get her more comfortable on days when there is fresh snow.

All input welcome.

TomCat
09-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Kids are fast learners. My suggestions are not to push too hard when the weather is too nasty. Bad experiences will turn many kids off. Stick with a shorter ski - it's easier to move around and will help keep the speed down. GO with lessons. When my kids were young I found the half day to be pretty good. Then you get to ski with her in the afternoon. Good balance for a youngster.

tom

Raymo40
09-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Harv
Check out the Nordia line. Bought my wife a pair of Nordia Speeds 2 years ago She said it's the best ski she ever had. She's an advanced skier who will ski anything at Gore.The side cut is 118-70-103. Last year got a pair of Nordica conquer off ebay for 425.00 brand new with bindings for her. last years model but still never used. side cut 126-84-112
She skied on them and now the speeds never leave the house. She loves them. See if you can demo them.

SKIdds
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
+1 on a footbed upgrade in general, but for young kids?

Agreed, the thin, flat piece of useless garbage the manufacturers put in boots provides absolutely no support to the arch of the foot. So, feet get tired quicker because they are flattened to an unnatural position. Also, with no support it's hard to properly fit boots. With no arch support your foot is longer when compressed in the boot. Supporting the arch effects fit in the toe box. My last pair of new boots I had issue with my toes pushing up against the end of the boot until I upgraded the foot bed, which raised/supported the arch, which helped to draw the toes back just enough to allow my 11.5 footsies to coexist with my size 10.5 Langes. Lastly, the connection the footbed gives you to the boot, and ultimately the ski, helps you ski more effectively. Movements translate better to the ski, allowing the ski to work better. I don't think that's all mumbo jumbo.

But does any of that apply to kids? Perhaps it might if money were no object, but at the rate kids grow and learn they will be flying through a new pair of boots a year, and investing in an expensive footbed might not be worth it. And do they even make custome footbeds in kids sizes? In general, especially because you won't be fitting the boots for maximum performance (back to those size 11.5's in a 10.5 boot), I think kids boots are relatively comfy, or at least not that uncomfortable. Shop around and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a pair that keeps her happy.

Just a note, you can get some of the benefits of a custom footbed without spending hundreds on true customs. The pair I have was a quick in store pair that utilized a chemical reaction in the material under the arch to quickly soften it, allow it to conform to your foot while in the boot, then set up rather quickly. Out the door for about $40. Not sure they still have such a thing though. My wife got new boots last year and I picked her up some footbeds from Sole (you can find them online). You heat them yourself, insert in boot, and wear a while. A thousand times the arch support of the cheap stock footbeds, although not as good as custom.......but a workable option for a handful of days a year skier.

Spongeworthy
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm going to try to hit Steiners on Saturday on our way up if our 3 year old will tolerate it.Did you hit Steiner's Saturday? Garick is THE MAN for boot fitting, but if you don't already know, don't expect any discount at all.

Harvey44
09-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Weather was so nice that we went straight to the cabin. Will hit it on the way back.

I think I created some confusion here. This setup is for my wife, not my 3 year old daughter. Still I'll take some time to read through them after bath time! :D

Denison
09-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Just a note, you can get some of the benefits of a custom footbed without spending hundreds on true customs. The pair I have was a quick in store pair that utilized a chemical reaction in the material under the arch to quickly soften it, allow it to conform to your foot while in the boot, then set up rather quickly. Out the door for about $40. Not sure they still have such a thing though.

I like ^this^ option. SKIdds, where did you do your footbeds ?

Harvey44
09-26-2009, 08:39 PM

As advertised, Stiener's was awesome. It was Garick's day off. Jay seemed knowledgeable and convinced me that the key was in the followup visits with Garick - 3 fitting visits included. We put $100 down on boots that will be on sale in a few weeks - they'll have to be fitted over at the Jiminy store. Tecnica Dragon 100 UFs. We talked a little about skis and Jay was thinking K2 Luvs or Volkl Attivas.

Would appreciate any opinions.

HPD thanks 1000%.

Harvey44
10-25-2009, 08:58 AM
HPD - an great experience at Steiner's (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/10/steiners-sports.html) yesterday. Garrick really took a lot of time with us worked very hard to get the fit perfect.

Oh yea...I little bit of a surprise to me...we end up with these in the trunk:

http://s2.postimage.org/qCezS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

The K2 Free Luvs. 120/76/104 in a 156 length. Wider than I thought they'd recommend for a groomer girl. But we trusted Garrick and went with it.

One thing is cool...these days, with shorter and shorter skiis... you can fit boards in a Honda Civic without any problem.

HudsonHiker
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
She'll Love the Luvs. My daughter has the K2 Burning Luvs and the smile was stuck on her face for days. She has had them a couple years now and still really likes them. She was comfortable on them the first run the first day. Thanks for all your pictures Harv.

Harvey44
10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
She'll Love the Luvs. My daughter has the K2 Burning Luvs and the smile was stuck on her face for days. She has had them a couple years now and still really likes them. She was comfortable on them the first run the first day. Thanks for all your pictures Harv.

That would be a dream come true. Funny thing...the more she likes skiing, the more I ski. 8)

HH...not sure what the thanks are for, but you are 100% welcome.

Snowballs
10-27-2009, 07:02 PM
http://s2.postimage.org/qCezS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

dig those crazy graphics. She must be a Wild Thang.

The K2 line for Girls is well received. Seriously, never heard any that didn't Luv them.

Whatcha gonna do for boots?

She's gonna be fast on the groomers, Harv.

Mine's on me for a pair of Volkl Pearls. She no way needs new skis......she just luvs the way they look and figures she'll look cool sportin twin tips.