PDA

View Full Version : Eagle's Nest

Spongeworthy
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like they cut thru the woods right right off Pipeline.

To go to BR from Pipeline last season, you had to step over a stream and then pick your way thru the woods.

Looks like they did it right.

FOUR MORE MONTHS :D

Harvey44
08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Sponge...any pics from the expedition?

I'm assuming what we are seeing in the Gore Mtn Photog pic below is one of the towers on Sagamore...how close to the bottom is that?

Caption mentions TWO bridges over Roaring Brook. Spill it all! :D

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8739/34458425.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Spongeworthy
08-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Sponge...any pics from the expedition?

I'm assuming what we are seeing in the Gore Mtn Photog pic below is one of the towers on Sagamore...how close to the bottom is that?

Caption mentions TWO bridges over Roaring Brook. Spill it all! :D No pics. I was in a group that wasn't gonna wait for someone to take a picture.

It's pretty close to the bottom. The one guy in the group on a snowboard had a tough time getting thru the woods. When he got out of the woods, he took off his board and walked to the lift. It wasn't a far walk at all.

I:)skiing
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I got pics...from yesterday. I think we are talking about the same area...about 1/6 of a mile down from the bridge? Guess the second bridge will be here. Wider trail than I would have thought they would cut. Trees debris still remains.

PS...how does Gore or for that fact most construction companies in this area get away with doing earth work so close to water without any/much silt fence work. In Maryland---fines would be a flying.
Funny thing, since this is State work, bet 1000 dollars fencing etc is in the specs and bid...then it just goes to profit.

Odd question: Walked under the existing bridge...on the bottom flange there was a glass goblet....with something in it. Over the goblet was a plate, over the plate was a rock. I am thinking some freaks left something really smelly in the glass with the idea that a curious person would remove the plate to see what is in the glass and get hit with a stink bomb. OK...fess up, who left it for the unknowing?

Rasberries were ripe over the stream bed where the rocks heat up.

Biting flys (green/beige) were killing me. Chills down the spine kind of bites.

Will upload as soon as I figure out how on this site. Will try tonight.

mattchuck2
08-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Looks like the bottom section, just after that last steep pitch (that was pretty rocky/icy for most of last year) and above that last little drainage ditch.

PS...how does Gore or for that fact most construction companies in this area get away with doing earth work so close to water without any/much silt fence work. In Maryland---fines would be a flying.

SHHHHHHH . . .

Spongeworthy
08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
PS...how does Gore or for that fact most construction companies in this area get away with doing earth work so close to water without any/much silt fence work. In Maryland---fines would be a flying.Don't let my fuzzy recollections let you jump to conclusions.

Gore is designated Forest Preserve. I can't believe that the current construction was approved without being thoroughly vetted.

Snowballs
08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
The one guy in the group on a snowboard had a tough time getting thru the woods. When he got out of the woods, he took off his board and walked to the lift. It wasn't a far walk at all.

Well does the new Eagle's nest trail follow the same course as the trail said snowboarder took ? Could it have a better grading to it this year ?

Also, could his walk at the bottom been because he went down that service road that exists left in the above photo of the end of Eagle's nest ?

that goblet under the bridge story is weird. maybe a cache for that GPS game where people get info off the web then go find it in the woods ? they usually sign it's log book once they find it.

08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I believe the stream is as wide in this photo as it is at the top bridge....Looks like they will need something in the order of about 60-80 feet to span and keep grade. I saw two large beams in the parking lot (it was free this weekend!), maybe they were it....

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/gasbo/0908050076.jpg

As you can see....nice pitch down to the stream. I like it.

Hopefully this post works..only two hours to figure this out and get a photo bucket.

08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
So I did not get a photo, but I did get a link to it...lets try this one...a wider shot at the base of the stream bed.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7915/16160413.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Gore is designated Forest Preserve. I can't believe that the current construction was approved without being thoroughly vetted.

Do you see silt fence? I have read the entire SEIS document. Lots and lots of "talk" about testing water quality etc....I am also sure they will do it and it will pass. I am just saying....not one bit of silt fence. Maybe no silt....just sand. But there are organics. Bet the spec manual is a foot thick on steps that should be taken. But countys and states have to pay inspectors...and we are in a tight budget now a days...and then who wants to climb that hill to look for silt fence? The GEO Metros those inspectors drive would not make it. Naw...they would rather drive up to a million dollar home under construction and harass the poor stiff framing 3 stories about the ground.

08-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Here is the spot where pipeline drops into the stream bed,,,its the first "level" area after the first drop of about 151 vert. off the bridge. My GPS gave me 1800 vert as the spot, the bridge was at 1951.

So, over the bridge, a few turns and then there will have to be a lip to head down to the stream. They cannot cut back into pipeline..its too narrow unless they cut into the woods on skier's left. Can someone say "air" Then water. If you miss---you hit Earth.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6061/24702649.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Finally---because I am having too much fun and deserve to do it......

The new town gondi was just installed and my son was the first passenger.......

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7606/64527843.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

08-06-2009, 11:26 PM

Do you see silt fence? I have read the entire SEIS document. I also found the 2 areas where they will be testing water on straight brook pre/post construction. Lots and lots of "talk" about testing water quality etc....I am also sure they will do it and it will pass. I am just saying....not one bit of silt fence. Maybe no silt/clay....just sand. But there are organics. I will bet the spec manual is a foot thick on steps that should be taken. But then counties and states have to pay inspectors...and we are in a tight budget now a days...and what inspector wants to climb that hill to look for silt fence? The Geo Metros those inspectors drive would not make it. Naw...they would rather drive up to a million dollar home under construction and harass the poor stiff framing 3 stories about the ground.

Spongeworthy
08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
The wife and I tried hiking up Pipeline from the Ski Bowl today.

We quit after a mile (actually she quit, so what choice did I have?) because of the swarms of black flies. In August!! :shock:

Snowballs
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
So I did not get a photo, but I did get a link to it...lets try this one...a wider shot at the base of the stream bed.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7915/16160413.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

see, that is a steep and deep lil gully. wonder if they'll span it edge to edge or drop down some first? just looks like a long span edge to edge, 150 -200 ft?

08-12-2009, 11:55 AM
It is very steep from where I was standing on pipeline down to the stream. But from the stream upto the newly cut trail....maybe 10 feet vertical. Thus..I estimate the span will be 60 feet---about 10 feet over the stream should do it so that the bridge wont wash out. I think the upper bridge is about 7' over the stream bed. I cannot imagine the cost of a 200 foot bridge. $500,000 to One million.-- I am only guessing, but I thing to span the gap would take something bigger and would still be steep---again, the landing on the opposite side is low. Its really not a gap, per se.

This is why I suggested that this will be a very fun run, over upper bridge, down 200 vfeet of good slope and then over (maybe some air?) this ridge and down over the bridge. As suggested, Pipeline is only about 20 feet wide at this intersection...while they can cut deeper into the woods on skier's left, I cannot see them cutting this trail back into pipeline to lower the steepness, but you never know.

I might think a lot of skiers will be stopping at this slope for a look---or to rest before going down it....this could cause incidents to occur on those skiing down pipe. But then,,,,will there really be a lot of skiers on pipe? I am thinking no. It will have traffic, just not a lot....remember if you go lower than this intersection you have to either ride chair 14 or the new quad---listed as HS, but as noted earlier, maybe a fixed grip.

Snowballs
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
So, I:) skiing, are you saying the approach to the bridge would likely have to descend that bank on the stream's leftside far enough reach the approximate elevation of the opposite bank? either that or it would be a long, steep bridge? it will be curious how they reconcile this.

equally important, does the trail on the Gore side of the stream contain an uphill section to reach the main part of Eagle's nest and go to BRQ? i truly hope not. truly.

08-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Snow---- YEP.....it is about 75-100 feet vert down to the stream from the pipeline side. As I would guess they would install the bridge 10 vert feet about the stream bed, that is about 65-90 vert from pipeline down to the bridge. While I did not cross the stream or even get close (the machines were running and the signs 'warning me to stay away" were working) it looks like there will be fall from the "Gore" side of the trail to go down to BRQ... They are doing lots of digging out of that bank that you see...so I guess they have adequate pitch.

Funny thing... WHile I am not 75% familar with all of Gore's trails or terrain yet, on the Gore side of the upper bridge there is a dirt road (trail?) going down to where they are working.....its only about 1/10 mile and 150 vert down to the place they are diggin from the bridge area from which I speak. However from my vantage point where I took the photos I could not see that dirt road connecting with where they are digging......I thought for sure it was either a construction road or split trail...Before I looked at the Gore Map of new trails I just assumed that dirt road went to BRQ. Because the stream is on the left side of the dirt road (speaking from the Gore side) going down hill....the road must either come to an end quickly or bear a quick right and drop in vertical. From what I see it does not go down the stream on the Gore side. If it is not a trail, it will be access to some forest. All this said...I heard constuction vehicles on it not far frow where I was....maybe this is a new trail down to BRQ. Again, I just don't have a clue. THIS is an edit---I just visited the SIES plan and see a broken blue line following this dirt road. On other areas of the map this seems to indicate a hiking or walking trail...like the trail up Pete Gay---not that I have been on it...for those who have...this would be a similar trail. The trail goes from the bridge down to the cconnector trail about 300 feet (not vert) after where thesecond stream bridge crosses.

Also, reading the SEIS map...there are 22 grade lines from the steam to the BRQ. 20 feet per line gives 240vert. THis SEIS map is hard to follow, but would appear the vert is consistant.

Heading back to Gore in 1 week. I will do more exploring. I also planned to visit Hickory---but ran out of time. 2 kids and we had lots of sun. Minerva pond was the place to be. 15cnt popsicles----yes, its true! no price increase in what 40 yrs?